Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Offseason Thread 2012-2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Gonna worry about it tomorrow, but for now my only concern is that Lopez is a good player, but we've nobody you can build a franchise around. He would've been the Nets number 4 guy had they got Howard but went another way (then again, they couldn't have as he's too good to be a back-up for Dwight, but you get what I mean). At the moment, I see us as along the lines of Golden State, which is ****ing depressing seeing as we were looking at the possibility of getting as far as the Eastern Finals just last March. But I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't slightly relieved it was over, even if I feel we bowed to Dwight's pressure before getting ourselves the best possible deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

leggo wrote: »
    Gonna worry about it tomorrow, but for now my only concern is that Lopez is a good player, but we've nobody you can build a franchise around. He would've been the Nets number 4 guy had they got Howard but went another way (then again, they couldn't have as he's too good to be a back-up for Dwight, but you get what I mean). At the moment, I see us as along the lines of Golden State, which is ****ing depressing seeing as we were looking at the possibility of getting as far as the Eastern Finals just last March. But I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't slightly relieved it was over, even if I feel we bowed to Dwight's pressure before getting ourselves the best possible deal.

Hey hey hey, you leave my Warriors out of this buddy :D
    Definitely looks like a total case of rebuilding for Orlando, Lopez is a decent pick up but the draft picks could prove valuable, could be a few seasons before they get back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

LOve the clippers being the 4th team. Brooks will be a solid pick up for them and their first round pick will be in the 20's at least so its not that much of a loss from their point of view.

Is the Clippers 1st round pick not lottery protected mate?

http://losangeles.sbnation.com/los-angeles-clippers/2012/7/9/3147571/dwight-howard-marshon-brooks-los-angeles-clippers-brooklyn-nets-nba-trade-rumors-2012
    According to sources the Nets would receive Howard, Jason Richardson, Chris Duhon and Earl Clark in the proposed deal. The Magic would get Brook Lopez in a sign-and-trade, Luke Walton, Damion James, Shelden Williams, Armon Johnson and three first-round picks -- two from the Nets and a lottery protected first from the Clippers. The Cavs would get Kris Humphries in a sign-and-trade, Quentin Richardson, Sundiata Gaines, a first round pick from the Nets and three million in cash. The Clippers would receive MarShon Brooks.

According that above article the Clippers aren't quite ready to concede the 1st round pick for Brooks as:
    It's interesting that Los Angeles picks up a player who probably might not be too useful for the Clippers. Brooks averaged 12.6 points per game, 2.3 assists per game, and 3.6 rebounds per game with a PER of 13 in his first season. With Jamal Crawford already on board, Eric Bledsoe and Chauncey Billups likely to spend a lot of time playing the two with Chris Paul spending most of his time at the one, it's unlikely the Clippers would make Brooks a regular member of their rotation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Paully D wrote: »
    Is the Clippers 1st round pick not lottery protected mate?

http://losangeles.sbnation.com/los-angeles-clippers/2012/7/9/3147571/dwight-howard-marshon-brooks-los-angeles-clippers-brooklyn-nets-nba-trade-rumors-2012

According that above article the Clippers aren't quite ready to concede the 1st round pick for Brooks as:

Lottery protected means that the Clippers
    would keep the pick if they miss the playoffs.

Lottery protected means that the Clippers
    would keep the pick if they miss the playoffs.

Cheers mate. Got to admit I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to all these contracts, lottery picks etc. I'm still learning a lot.

• Advertisement

Cheers mate. Got to admit I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to all these contracts, lottery picks etc. I'm still learning a lot.

its not the easiest setup to understand in fairness, I don't think anyone really knows the ins and outs of contracts and mid levels etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

its not the easiest setup to understand in fairness, I don't think anyone really knows the ins and outs of contracts and mid levels etc..

Yeah it's ridiculously complex, you nearly learn something new with every trade.

Reading about how Nash's trade went down there. An interesting twist in it was that the Lakers couldn't sign him as a free agent, they could only use their traded-player exception (that they got from sending Odom to the Mavs). But it nearly scuppered the whole deal because that meant they had to get the Suns to agree to a sign-and-trade, which they were very reluctant to do.

Also Kobe comes out with some very funny lines these days
    At Team USA's training camp in Las Vegas, Bryant spoke of Nash in profanely reverential tones when someone asked him why he wanted to see Nash wearing purple and gold. "He's a bad mother
    ," Kobe said.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Also Kobe comes out with some very funny lines these days

I think his funniest one was when he said that the 2012 Olympic team would beat their 1992 Dream Team counterparts. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Rashard Lewis to the Heat. While he hasn't really become the superstar everyone predicted he is a great player to have as your 5th or 6th scoring option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭i_am_joey

Felexicon wrote: »
    Rashard Lewis to the Heat. While he hasn't really become the superstar everyone predicted he is a great player to have as your 5th or 6th scoring option.

they need every scorer they could get coming off the bench.
    now they got ray allen, what theyre trying to do right now is to repeat as champions because the nba standings are now being shaken up with all the FA signings and trades this off-season. a shift on the balance of power is in progress.

you have to wonder what oklahoma will do to improve based on their finals performance.

• Advertisement

Brewer and Watson are gone, while the Bulls are also trying to trade Korver. The Bench Mob is all but finished. The way things are going we'll have about 6 players on the roster come the start of the season :mad:

From Alex Kennedy:
    Brook Lopez has re-signed with the Brooklyn Nets, taking them out of the Dwight Howard sweepstakes. Lopez can't be traded until January 15.

Howard, this is all I have to say to you:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

The Mavs get Darren Collison and Dahntay Jones from the Indiana Pacers for center Ian Mahnimi.

The Pacers have been absolutely robbed. Ridiculous trade.

Well, it seems the Bulls are taking the next 2 years off and not doing anything until 2014. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭i_am_joey

NufcNavan wrote: »
    The Mavs get Darren Collison and Dahntay Jones from the Indiana Pacers for center Ian Mahnimi.

The Pacers have been absolutely robbed. Ridiculous trade.

gotta agree with you there bud...shame on the pacers. wait, they still might lose granger :D

Brewer and Watson are gone, while the Bulls are also trying to trade Korver. The Bench Mob is all but finished. The way things are going we'll have about 6 players on the roster come the start of the season :mad:

I'm not all that bothered about losing these. Good pros and all but limited talent.

Watson has some level of talent, but it's mostly in scoring not in pure point-guard abilities. I never really like the backup PG having more a scorer's mentality (JL III is the same). If you're backup PG, you're backup for a reason, because you're not starting calibre, so I think you should be more of a facilitator. We saw when Rose went out of the playoffs what a mess the offense was with Watson/Lucas running the show.

I don't know much about Teague's point-guard play (might be worth digging up some of those Kentucky NCAA games to watch) but we know he can get to the rim. And good things happen from that, collapsing the defense, kicking it out for 3, getting to the free-throw line.

Brewer, good defender, not a great shooter. Frustrating how he was good at cutting to the rim but a bad finisher once he got there. I really like what I saw of Jimmy Butler, and apparently the coaching-staff do as well, looks to be excellent wing defender and solid decision maker. He was a bit tentative on offense in his first season, but looks to be able to both hit a jump shot and finish at the rim. Looking forward to seeing him get more playing-time next season.

Korver, good shooter, bad everything else. The team had to hide him on defense, and was a poor decision maker when he wasn't catching and shooting. Korver could really kill you in games because, when his was shot was off (which happens to everyone), he was pretty much a waste of space on the floor. I'd prefer a more rounded player, even if they weren't as good a shooter.

The success of the bench mob to me owed more to Asik & Gibson's defense, and Thibs' defensive system, so can be recreated.

The downside of losing these players. Ok, we definitely get worse in the short term. While Teague and Butler are good prospects, they won't have the experience to play as well as Watson/Brewer next season, but the following season could approach it.

It also leaves the team pretty short of 3-point shooting, as Watson and Korver would've taken a lot of the 3s. Hamilton and Hinrich can shoot a 3, but don't do it a whole lot (and only average efficiency). Rose and Deng will be out, so you wonder where the 3s are going to come from.

I guess that needs to be filled with vet-mins (as we have no other exceptions, except for a possible trade exception with Korver). But in general I like the idea of developing Teague and Butler next season.

SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter
    Michael Jordan's reaction to Kobe's comments that this year's Olympic team could've beaten the '92 Dream Team: "I absolutely laughed"

He wasn't the only one ^^ :pac:

I don't think it's as laughable as a lot are saying. I think the Dream Team would win, probably 7 times out of 10. But it's a lot easier to look back at Jordan, Magic et al after their careers are over, taking all of their achievements into account. Whereas LeBron, for example, has only had his first major achievement. Durant has had none yet. But both are still at the absolute top of their game. Both could eventually go on to eventually make the top 10 of all-time list. It'd be a lot closer than the likes of MJ and Chuck might like to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

leggo wrote: »
    I don't think it's as laughable as a lot are saying. I think the Dream Team would win, probably 7 times out of 10. But it's a lot easier to look back at Jordan, Magic et al after their careers are over, taking all of their achievements into account. Whereas LeBron, for example, has only had his first major achievement. Durant has had none yet. But both are still at the absolute top of their game. Both could eventually go on to eventually make the top 10 of all-time list. It'd be a lot closer than the likes of MJ and Chuck might like to think.

The way Charles Barkley said it was the way I agree with, out of this year's Olympic team, only LeBron, Kobe and Durant make the 92 squad.

Also, Dream Team '92 had centres :pac:. Not only centres, but David Robinson and Patrick Ewing. Good luck to Tyson Chandler.

Yeah, like it's difficult to disagree with that. But you also have to keep in mind that this Olympic team has a massive asterisk beside it with the injured players missing. Would Howard and Rose make the Dream Team? Even as non-starters? Would Wade make it, on past performances if not current form? We could talk about Chris Paul in a very different context in a decade, he could go down as a great.

Whereas we have the benefit of hindsight with the Dream Team so it's an unfair comparison IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SoulGuy

Though I also think the 92 Dream Team would win, it would definitely be closer then what people are suggesting. It's easy to forget that Magic & Bird were well past their primes in '92.

Some good news:

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/8161323/chicago-bulls-derrick-rose-ahead-rehab-schedule
    Chicago Bulls point guard Derrick Rose is walking without a boot and is ahead of his rehab schedule, his brother and manager Reggie Rose said on Thursday.

Rose tore his left ACL in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinals against the Philadelphia 76ers on April 28. He had surgery on May 12.

Rose has been rehabbing in Los Angeles for about two weeks, Reggie said.

"He's walking without a boot," Reggie said. "He's way ahead of schedule.

"It's just keeping him focused, and we're not trying to rush him. Basically, just rehab, rehab, rehab. We haven't put nothing basketball in his face."

Dr. Brian Cole, who performed the surgery on Rose, also said in June that Rose was ahead of schedule.

Reggie said Rose being in Los Angeles allows him to relax and not worry about all the attention he receives in his hometown of Chicago.

"It's just a peace of mind," Reggie said. "He can't do too much in Chicago. The other day I talked to him, he was at Target just picking up stuff. Stuff like that, you can't do in Chicago."

Rose has yet to speak publicly since his injury, but Reggie said he would in due time. It just wasn't their focus right now.

"Eventually, he will," Reggie said. "Just for now, he's getting his mind right and is out in in California."

Haha, Larry Bird on whether current Olympic team could beat Dream Team: "They probably could. I haven't played in 20 years and we're all old now."

Woah, Rockets amnesty Luis Scola. He must be the best player to be amnestied. Going hard after Howard.

i_am_joey wrote: »
    gotta agree with you there bud...shame on the pacers. wait, they still might lose granger :D
    I wouldn't mind if they traded him. He's 29 now and his numbers went down last year. Only going to get worse from here on in.

And the Pacers have signed Gerald Green. At least we'll get to see some nice dunks now.

Griffin out for a few months after a tear in his meniscus, he aint having no luck with the knees so early in his career.

Scola amnestied by the Rockets, would be a good pick up for some team, he has gone back a little bit but still a fan.
    Rockets making moves to try and get Howard maybe.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind if they traded him. He's 29 now and his numbers went down last year. Only going to get worse from here on in.

And the Pacers have signed Gerald Green. At least we'll get to see some nice dunks now.

Lebron will be 29 in a year and a half, would you trade him then ? :P

Anthony Davis had nine points in 10min (could have been the other way around) for team USA last night in an exhibition against the Dominican Republic.

Kyle Korver traded to the Hawks. Part of the Hinrich deal.

Kyle Korver traded to the Hawks. Part of the Hinrich deal.

I don't think it is part of the Hinrich deal mate. It's for a second round draft pick via the Timberwolves and we save $500,000 because we don't have to waive him.

The whole team has been ripped apart :(

Lebron will be 29 in a year and a half, would you trade him then ? :P

Anthony Davis had nine points in 10min (could have been the other way around) for team USA last night in an exhibition against the Dominican Republic.
    Yeah, because everyone knows that Granger is as good as Lebron. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I think I might look into setting up a trip to NY next year and catch a Knicks v Nets game depending on schedule, I think it could be a great rivalry.

Advertisement