Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Type: Bug
    Issue: page up/down buttons have no effect
    Browser & OS: Firefox 13, WinXP
    Screen Resolution: 1366x768

Anybody else having this issue? I just installed Firefox on my Windows XP box, Page Up & Down are working fine for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Quazzie wrote: »
    Another thing. On the old layout, if I made my browser half the width of my skin, or even smaller again the text used to conform to my browser size. Now I'm constantly browsing left and right trying to read posts. This is a BIG issue for me as 90% of my browsing is done in a minimized browser.

this

100 times this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Type: Design
    Issue: A minor consistancy issue more than anything, but most menus have now been converted to mouse over drop downs. The exception to this are the original vbulletin ones that remain, e.g. the forum/thread tools, search this forum/thread and rate this thread ones. It would probably make sense to convert them to mouseover too.
    Browser & OS: n/a
    Screen Resolution: n/a

Type: Bug
    Issue: Minor bug again, but the max widths aren't completely consistent across all elements at the bottom of the page. If you take a look at the right hand side of this screenie, you can see the borders aren't aligned. It's only off by about 10px or so, so nothing major.
    Screen Resolution: Anything over 1400px wide.

It's already been mentioned a couple of times, but I'll throw it in the 'proper' format in any case:
    Type: Feature Suggestion
    Issue: Given that usercp.php shows a summary of what are the most often viewed notifications, namely threads/forums/social groups, would it not make sense to change the behaviour when clicking on your username/notifications icon it goes to usercp.php rather than member.php?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Quazzie wrote: »
    Another thing. On the old layout, if I made my browser half the width of my skin, or even smaller again the text used to conform to my browser size. Now I'm constantly browsing left and right trying to read posts. This is a BIG issue for me as 90% of my browsing is done in a minimized browser.

+1 I just noticed that. I'll usually have two text boxes open side by side and the text does not center.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Looks slick...I'll roll with it for a while.

• Advertisement

as a myspace user i don't like the like button

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I like a lot of the look about it but the bar at the top just takes up far too much space as a sticky but when disabled you lose the forum menus from the top
    I preferred the old beta style where the actual forum menus are persistant but everything else stays at the top.

EDIT: Also it looks like theres a lot of wasted space. Everything is spaced really far apart, much further then it needs to be

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

There needs to be more space between the top of a thread.form and the top navigation. Looks too cluttered for me.

Also I'd think I'd prefer the black translucent bar to be a blue colour instead.

I guess its nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Tony's only here a month and he's already fooking with out sh1t. For God's sake Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Anybody else having this issue? I just installed Firefox on my Windows XP box, Page Up & Down are working fine for me :)

I'm having it with Firefox on Ubuntu 12.04.

New skin seems good, not sure if I like it over the old beta though. I know it's a small thing but hover auto-expand for sub forums would be better imo.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

We like it - evolution not revolution..

And at least you got Tony to do some work at last :D:D

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Again, just fix these 3 things and it will be perfect...

1) Give me a User CP button ( I dont want to hover)

2) Give me a New Posts button

3) There is too much wasted blank space on the left and right hand side margins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Boards.ie: Tony

Hi All.

First off, thanks for all the feedback. Any bugs will be addressed and fixed as soon as they can be.
    All other concerns and issues will be taken on board and appropriate action taken.

We are looking for feedback. We want to know if something is missing / slipped through the cracks, or if there is some aspect that we might have over looked.

As for existing skins. At the moment, there is no plans to get rid of them. In saying that, any new features / functionality that is being developed (or already deployed) won't be added to any of the old skins.

There have been a number of concerns about how the site now not taking up the 100% width on super wide monitors. The width of the site is now capped at 1400. This decision was made based on internal and industry research that shows how difficult it is to read something that is stretched over the 1400 pixel threshold.
    We will be keeping an eye on ongoing research and doing many more test sessions ourselves to make the site as usable and as approachable as possible.

Please Keep the feedback coming, we are listening and keeping note of everything.

Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I have to say, I like the keyboard shortcuts, e.g. Alt+X to compose reply and Alt+S to submit, can we get more of them? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

As an aside

Isn't it great to see Boards with so many employees, old and new :)

Pretty cool how things have evolved and way back when who the hell would have thought that it would be employing people

*and bring back the new posts link and you will have me using the new skin :p*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I think it's too bright and there's too much empty space. And no New Posts link?

Pfft, I'm going back to my ugly classic skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

yup like it... sweet

i'm going back to cloud and i'm never leaving again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Really loving this new look and feel.

Biggest change for me is that darn banner is gone., it followed me around the Page bugging me for the longest time.

Keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Nice but the text in the left bar should be made a lot smaller to reduce the whitespace. The boards.ie/search forums/doc ruby/my forums bar is useless to me and always on-screen, that's the only real annoyance. How about social media badges on the left bar, so people can share posts and threads on facebook and twitter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Tigger wrote: »
    i'm going back to cloud and i'm never leaving again

Cloud looks like something Lil Wayne would use.

Plus it reflects your ugly mug on the screen :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

phasers wrote: »
    I think it's too bright and there's too much empty space. <snip>.
    +1

too much space generally in posts and too much space (/padding?) on latest post listings.

if the posts were compacted a bit then maybe the "brightness" wouldnt be such an issue as all its doing now is highlighting how much nothingness there is on a screen!!

EDIT: I like the category listings layout at the top so a big thumbs up for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

I don't like it, looks kinda cheap:p - I prefer the present look. maybe i just need to get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭rememberthis

Videos appear to not render in Firefox browswer - I'm not seeing any issues in IE9 however (makes a change!!).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

An annoying thing is the 'my forums' drop down not showing them all if you have too many, and if you click more it just shows your usercp? I just want them all to pop up at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Could the menu direct to here: http://www.boards.ie/?filter=threads instead of the subbed threads section of the UserCP?

210537.gif

It just seems inconsistent to have two pages with totally different interfaces for the same thing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Videos appear to not render in Firefox browswer - I'm not seeing any issues in IE9 however (makes a change!!).

Videos are fine in FF for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Blowfish wrote: »
    It's already been mentioned a couple of times, but I'll throw it in the 'proper' format in any case:
    Type: Feature Suggestion
    Issue: Given that usercp.php shows a summary of what are the most often viewed notifications, namely threads/forums/social groups, would it not make sense to change the behaviour when clicking on your username/notifications icon it goes to usercp.php rather than member.php?
    +1 on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

if it aint broke

But it was broke. vBulliten is not designed for a forum of this magnitude, so they are creating a whole new API for the website, and since the look of vBullitten is likely copyrighted, it has to look different.

In my opinion it is better, it's simpler and sweeter. The colours are a little jaring on first look, but that's because most people are too used to the old one. People need to think of this like a facebook update, you'll get fcuking used to it, or you'll leave, whichever, it's kinda stupid to leave a whole website for something so simple though.

I actually can't understand why people are complaining so much though, I suppose I've been using the Beta skin for years, and this isn't hugely different, but at the same time, it's not really hugely different to look at as the main skin, which was functionally woeful, scrolling to get down the forum lists? That's horrible.

Good Job lads. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Max Power1 wrote: »
    So it doesnt work on IE7 I see... seeing as the majority of boards surfing is (id imagine) office workers, thats unfortunate!

If it did, you'd be taxed for it :)

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18440979

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement