Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Repost

Just spotted this on Reuters

Samsung probes burnt out Galaxy phone in Ireland

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/06/22/us-samsung-galaxy-idINBRE85L08H20120622

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Ya that was already posted only a day ago.

It remains to be seen what caused it but it appears likely that it was related to the cradle.

Opps, its being discussed on RTE radio news right now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Looks like something i could do with. How do we get it?

http://www.androidauthority.com/iphone-galaxy-s3-switch-free-easy-phone-sync-app-96888/

According to this its already available and its the app in the play store link below, but that app has clearly been out for ages, I dunno tbh..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.easyphonetunes.android.app&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5lYXN5cGhvbmV0dW5lcy5hbmRyb2lkLmFwcCJd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

elderlemon wrote: »
    its a great phone and ditto about the battery.

Was at a family event last night and two others have the GS3 - I enabled the share shot feature and it automatically shared any photos taken by any of the 3 GS3!

Very very neat.

How did you set up that?? Brilliant feature!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Ditto that, sounds like a great feature...

Guaranteed Apple will be nicking that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Another question for S3 owners.

My RAM memory sits between 500-550mb of 780mb after a fresh boot.
    I haven't seen it lower than 500mb yet. Does that seem high?

My SG2 sits about 300mb-ish of 831mb after a fresh boot.

Another question for S3 owners.

My RAM memory sits between 500-550mb of 780mb after a fresh boot.
    I haven't seen it lower than 500mb yet. Does that seem high?

My SG2 sits about 300mb-ish of 831mb after a fresh boot.

Think thats normal enough, the GS3 has more going on to hold in memory.

Only reason I checked it was because I noticed a little lag today going back to home screen. Memory was at 690 of 780mb.
    Was only browsing boards and clicked back to home.
    fionny wrote: »

Only reason I checked it was because I noticed a little lag today going back to home screen. Memory was at 690 of 780mb.

That seems to be an issue with TouchWiz when I changed to Apex Launcher it went away, several other users on here have confirmed same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

god's toy wrote: »
    Here is a good vid on utube showing what you can connect to your S3.
    Ok it's 27mins long (full HD too) but it's really opened my eyes to how I can use this phone now :)USB Dongles, Keyboards, mice, Controllers, Hard-drives, and more, but all at once?? yep!.

*me rushing out for a host mode connector!*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46IiRyigUH0

+1!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

First turn on wi-fi direct in settings/more settings. Then open the camera , click on the settings icon (cog), then shooting mode. Scroll down to the bottom and select "share shot".

You will then go to a screen where it will search for other S3's (who have done the same) and you can add them to your net.

Now start taking photos and anything you take will to auto added to the other phones, plus anything they take will appear on yours!

s_carnage wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭thomasj

fionny wrote: »

I read somewhere that the reason for that is because it waits to see if you click again to activate svoice. Apparently if you deactivate the double-click to activate svoice setting it speeds this up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rks

Just saw this. There's a mention of this thread (boards.ie) in the article as well :p

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-explodes-in-ireland-company-probing-the-incident-234779?pfrom=home-otherstories
    bogman wrote: »
    Repost

Just spotted this on Reuters

Samsung probes burnt out Galaxy phone in Ireland

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/06/22/us-samsung-galaxy-idINBRE85L08H20120622

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

elderlemon wrote: »
    First turn on wi-fi direct in settings/more settings. Then open the camera , click on the settings icon (cog), then shooting mode. Scroll down to the bottom and select "share shot".

You will then go to a screen where it will search for other S3's (who have done the same) and you can add them to your net.

Now start taking photos and anything you take will to auto added to the other phones, plus anything they take will appear on yours!

s_carnage wrote: »

Brilliant! Cheers for that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,491 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Quick couple of question guys

I have the GS3 and love it. Great phone and the battery life is great too.
    The only annoyance I have that when I put the phone into sleep mode and its also on silent mode I dont get a vibration when I get a text. Does anyone know how to fix this? I can't find anything in settings.

Also how to I pick which screen is to be my home screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

The only annoyance I have that when I put the phone into sleep mode and its also on silent mode I dont get a vibration when I get a text. Does anyone know how to fix this? I can't find anything in settings.

I've only had my s3 for just over 24hours so i can't help you with your question, but just on the battery.....

Im not getting anything close to what id consider decent battery life.

Fully charged it this morning and it's down to 21% after just 9 hours. Not particularly heavy use, most browsing done over wifi.

Is this normal?

Just traded my iPhone for the s3 and i wouldn't say I've changed my usage pattern at all, but I'd def get more than 9 hours out of 79% of iPhone battery

Just on the home screen thing..... When you're on the shortcut pages, do a pinch with 2 fingers and it will show all the shortcut screens that you're using. In the top corner there is a little box that you can tick to set which one is the home one. You can also move the pages around. When you're done, just hit the home button to come out of editing mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I've only had my s3 for just over 24hours so i can't help you with your question, but just on the battery.....

Im not getting anything close to what id consider decent battery life.

Fully charged it this morning and it's down to 21% after just 9 hours. Not particularly heavy use, most browsing done over wifi.

Is this normal?

Just traded my iPhone for the s3 and i wouldn't say I've changed my usage pattern at all, but I'd def get more than 9 hours out of 79% of iPhone battery

It's a brand new phone, it'll take about 3 to 5 recharge cycles to get a proper understanding of how the battery works! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

I got a Galaxy S3 on Wednesday after having an iPhone for 3 years, but I have been very disappointed with the S3 Battery so far. I

I always plug my phone into charge at night and when i had the iPhone 4 it always lasted the day even with Wifi and bluetooth left on and a fair bit of usage. Not so with the S3, If i leave wifi and bluetooth it bearly lasts half the day.

Even today, I took it off the charger at 9am, left bluetooth off, Wifi on, used it for about 20 mins of calls and 30 mins of web browsing during the morning, no GPS, screen brightness on auto and switched off for most of the time and all other apps closed and memory cleared. By 1pm it was down to 55%. I hope this improves over the coming days or even though it is a nice phone it is no use to me if it cannot last the day.

Also i had sync turned off but received no gmail, how do you setup proper push email on Android like you can on the iPhone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Armonline wrote: »
    I got a Galaxy S3 on Wednesday after having an iPhone for 3 years, but I have been very disappointed with the S3 Battery so far. I

I always plug my phone into charge at night and when i had the iPhone 4 it always lasted the day even with Wifi and bluetooth left on and a fair bit of usage. Not so with the S3, If i leave wifi and bluetooth it bearly lasts half the day.

Even today, I took it off the charger at 9am, left bluetooth off, Wifi on, used it for about 20 mins of calls and 30 mins of web browsing during the morning, no GPS, screen brightness on auto and switched off for most of the time and all other apps closed and memory cleared. By 1pm it was down to 55%. I hope this improves over the coming days or even though it is a nice phone it is no use to me if it cannot last the day.

Also i had sync turned off but received no gmail, how do you setup proper push email on Android like you can on the iPhone?

I took my phone off charge at 8 this morning. I've had about twice your usage and still have 64% charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

S3 with Meteor through Carphone Warehouse is unlocked but there is a free app available that unlocks the S3 and it works well from what I know

Got mine on the 12th and the replacement 8 days later, both unlocked, they also gave me the option to switch from white to pebble blue which I did, looking back I think the white looks better but it matters not at this stage

Just to note, both phones were unbranded except that the first one had meteor.ie as its home page, it seems the new one goes direct to Samsung, ill confirm that later, one way or the other if its customer satisfaction you want, Carphone Warehouse id the way to go, hardware problem within 1st 30 days and they will replace, once not modified

What phone do you presently have

matrim wrote: »

Left mine on charge all night, been using it at normal levels with data turned off, so browsing over wifi only. Had a 15min call earlier but havent done anything excessive like gaming or steaming video. Very normal usage.

After 2.5 hours I'm down to 82% battery left. Lets say at best I'd get 3 hours out of 20%, that works out at 15hours out of 100%

I know I've only charged it a couple of times and it will not be at full capacity yet, but it seems to be pretty poor tbh

What network are you on? Do you have a good signal generally?

I was on 3Ireland and the constant switching between 3G and 2G would drain the battery within a few hours (that was with an S2). Had to manually switch between 2G/3G and finally got it down to a fine art. Was able to get a good 2 days out of the battery in the end.

Recently switched to eMobile and picked up an S3. I've just got 2 days 15hrs out of it. Lots of usage and playing with the new apps/features. Very impressed. Long may it last.

Left mine on charge all night, been using it at normal levels with data turned off, so browsing over wifi only. Had a 15min call earlier but havent done anything excessive like gaming or steaming video. Very normal usage.

After 2.5 hours I'm down to 82% battery left. Lets say at best I'd get 3 hours out of 20%, that works out at 15hours out of 100%

I know I've only charged it a couple of times and it will not be at full capacity yet, but it seems to be pretty poor tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

bogman wrote: »
    Got mine on the 12th and the replacement 8 days later, both unlocked, they also gave me the option to switch from white to pebble blue which I did, looking back I think the white looks better but it matters not at this stage

Just to note, both phones were unbranded except that the first one had meteor.ie as its home page, it seems the new one goes direct to Samsung, ill confirm that later, one way or the other if its customer satisfaction you want, Carphone Warehouse id the way to go, hardware problem within 1st 30 days and they will replace, once not modified

What phone do you presently have

What was wrong with it ?? Just out of interest ??

• Advertisement

What network are you on? Do you have a good signal generally?

I was on 3Ireland and the constant switching between 3G and 2G would drain the battery within a few hours (that was with an S2). Had to manually switch between 2G/3G and finally got it down to a fine art. Was able to get a good 2 days out of the battery in the end.

Recently switched to eMobile and picked up an S3. I've just got 2 days 15hrs out of it. Lots of usage and playing with the new apps/features. Very impressed. Long may it last.

I'm with 3.

I have mobile data turned off in the notification centre toggles so I'm using wifi only for browsing at the moment.

I keep getting notices saying I've lost data roaming, even though I've disabled data roaming in the settings.

Advertisement