Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland u20 6 Nations & World Cup 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

I'm always amazed at the quality of young players coming through in Ireland. When I moved over from SA in 2002 I was under the impression that rugby was played at most schools like it is in SA, but discovered that it wasn't the case.

For such a relatively small playing population your grassroots system produces some seriously talented youngsters. All good news for the future.

Enjoy the games tomorrow. I'm hoping BOD and the rest of the team can make some history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Tox56 wrote: »
    Is it too simplistic to say that we'll have a good group next year because our U-18's did well this year? Hope so anyway, not many left next year from this group
    I've had a look around for the rules on seeding, but it's hard to find anything as the 'seeding' usually refers to that in the 4th round of the competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

GerM wrote: »
    I assume that finishing 5th means we are now second seeds for the next tournament? Also, with Wales finishing third, there is potentially a handy group in the offing.
    We are ranked 5th but according to a poster on mf's the draw is the same every year. See here post 1662
    So as the 5th ranked side, in our group for next years comp we will have the 2nd, 8th and 11th ranked sides in our group next year. Therefore our group next year will be new zealand, australia and fiji

ormond lad wrote: »
    We are ranked 5th but according to a poster on mf's the draw is the same every year. See here post 1662
    So as the 5th ranked side, in our group for next years comp we will have the 2nd, 8th and 11th ranked sides in our group next year. Therefore our group next year will be new zealand, australia and fiji
    Jeez, what a reward :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Jeez, what a reward :eek:

Group of death :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Is it too simplistic to say that we'll have a good group next year because our U-18's did well this year? Hope so anyway, not many left next year from this group
    I've had a look around for the rules on seeding, but it's hard to find anything as the 'seeding' usually refers to that in the 4th round of the competition.

I meant group as in group of players, finishing 5th this year definitely helps our possible "group" next year

Or maybe not.. although I wouldn't mind playing NZ

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

This isn't a religion forum if you want to talk about people beliefs please do it else where

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Ireland finished 5th but were a top 3 team in reality. The reason this lot had such a hard group was because of the poor record in the last tournament.

Looking forward to next year. Where is it being held next year?

profitius wrote: »
    Ireland finished 5th but were a top 3 team in reality. The reason this lot had such a hard group was because of the poor record in the last tournament.
    I seems doing well doesn't help you very much either!

• Advertisement

profitius wrote: »

Looking forward to next year. Where is it being held next year?
    In france next year

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RuggaBugga

I'd rather have New Zealand and Australia than South Africa and England.. (yeah i said it).
    But regardless, we always seem to get the short end of the stick..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

I seems doing well doesn't help you very much either!

Its probably a bit unlucky but even so, I'd prefer Australia than England at this age group. NZ will be the favs again but the way we're starting to develop players here, we should be able to send out another strong side.

Anyone know anything about next years side? This year proves that a strong pack is vital (especially at this level), we had a very talented backline last year that went nowhere

Anyone know anything about next years side? This year proves that a strong pack is vital (especially at this level), we had a very talented backline last year that went nowhere
    You wont know much until after the u20 interpros in september. You could look at last septembers u19 interpro squads as a lot of the players in those squads will be in the 20s this september. All i know is munster will have more players involved as munster were better than normal at 18s level when the 93s where the age group

That's absolutely the lesson that I took from this year - look at the Boks too, their backs weren't great aside from the S/H and the first centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

The Byrne twins will only add to the strength of the front row. Thornbury is another decent looking lock. Hard to know what the back-row will look like. Will Jack O'Donoghue be ready to play u20 next season Ormond?
    McFarland is the only real dangerous back I can think of that will be involved. McGrath, Olding and Farrell will still be playing next year.

Hagz wrote: »
    McFarland is the only real dangerous back I can think of that will be involved. McGrath, Olding and Farrell will still be playing next year.
    I didn't see much from Olding, but I guess having the same centre partnership next year must count for something. Farrell looked quite a handful.

McGrath was clearly outshone by Marmion for my money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I didn't see much from Olding, but I guess having the same centre partnership next year must count for something. Farrell looked quite a handful.

Think Oldings best position is meant to be 10. Tough group next year but seeing as its a development competition I think its better in the long run for these young players to get exposure against the top sides.

McGrath is a bit like JJ, clearly a talented player but is error prone.

His pass is a worry but he is only young, Marmion outshone him in the sense that he started ahead of him in almost every game, but McGrath will be a senior squad member next year, so hopefully he can step up.

• Advertisement

I would expect Olding to be out-half, I believe that's his natural position.
    Hard to know who will be outside centre. Maybe Adam Byrne, or Rob Henshaw, or maybe O'Loughlin (but he might be a bit young)

I wouldn't agree with your last statement. Marmion was definitely the right option and deserved to start, but he's a had year already at this level and is therefore more composed. McGrath, for someone as young as he is, IMO showed a lot of promise. He looks to have that X factor that perhaps Marmion doesn't. But it's easy to criticise McGrath given the hype surrounding him.

The Byrne twins will only add to the strength of the front row. Thornbury is another decent looking lock. Hard to know what the back-row will look like. Will Jack O'Donoghue be ready to play u20 next season Ormond?
    JODs in munster 20s squad and as he's been training with the full munster squad recently http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/10569.php (he's in pic 3 and is 3rd from the left) i imagine he could potentially be ready to play next year but again il say wait and see how all the interpros go in september before talking about next years team.

McGrath, for someone as young as he is, IMO showed a lot of promise.
    Isn't he the same age as the Bok s/h?
    He looks to have that X factor that perhaps Marmion doesn't.
    I'd give up a lot of X-factor for someone who does the basics very well.
    But it's easy to criticise McGrath given the hype surrounding him.
    Yeah, this is probably part of my problem with him alright, which isn't his fault.

Well McGrath's one of the youngest (if not the youngest) player in the squad, so he's very raw.

This year was good for experience, next year will be when we find out what he's made of, he'll probably start every important game bar injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

If you scan this year's U19 side, it should give a rough idea of who might be in the line up for next season. The lads who are eligible for next season will be in the mix, I'm sure i.e. McGrath, Olding, Farrell and Van der Flier along with the likes of the Byrne twins and Thornbury who have already been taken into the Leinster academy.

Not sure who has been taken into the other academies but I'm sure there's already the core of a team there between those alone.

Isn't he the same age as the Bok s/h?
    Dunno....is that relevant:pac:
    I'd give up a lot of X-factor for someone who does the basics very well.
    Screw that. Give me Will Genia over Mike Blair any day of the week. Raw natural talent isn't teachable, basics are.

I'd like to see Marmion given a few opportunities with Connacht next season. Their SH options are pretty weak IMO, and as you say, Marmion does the basics very well. I don't expect McGrath to get any senior appearances, maybe 1 or 2, but getting that starting jersey for the u20 next season will give him a lot more time to show what he's made of.

What ever happened to Conor McEllin?? The guy looked promising. He had skill and real pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

Agreed.

Will be interesting to see McGrath next year though.

I am a big fan of changing SHs in games, I think it can change up the attacking platforms and tempo, great to have the option of 2 promising and confident SHs in the side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Marmion was fantastic throughout the championship. Would love to see him in red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Marmion was fantastic throughout the championship. Would love to see him in red

Hanrahan for Marmion swap and we might listen

Advertisement