Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland u20 6 Nations & World Cup 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Stevenson will be tough to shift. And if he is shifted he should move on to another province, he's too good to be 4th choice anywhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'd take him at Leinster in a hearbeat. He is a genuinely good player and young to boot. But Henderson is potentially Ferris good and that is hard to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Stevenson will be tough to shift. And if he is shifted he should move on to another province, he's too good to be 4th choice anywhere.

I don't think Ulster will be scared to throw him in...if they played Jackson and were willing to let Whitten go (presumably to let Marshall and Spence develop more)...I can't see them not utilising someone as talented as Henderson.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Klunk_NZ

Girl doesn't want to admit to drunken action to her parents. Creates international scene instead.
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10815425

Klunk_NZ wrote: »
    Girl doesn't want to admit to drunken action to her parents. Creates international scene instead.
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10815425

wow, careful with the preconceptions!

• Advertisement

Fairly good odds on it ending up like that. I hope she gets named and shamed.
    On the other side of the coin. If the 5% chance of this being true I would gladly have the silver medal thug removed from our rugby networks for good.

If she can't remember anything about the incident, how on earth was her default stance 'gang rape'

Klunk_NZ wrote: »
    Fairly good odds on it ending up like that. I hope she gets named and shamed.
    On the other side of the coin. If the 5% chance of this being true I would gladly have the silver medal thug removed from our rugby networks for good.

If she can't remember anything about the incident, how on earth was her default stance 'gang rape'

no idea, but you have no idea either!

I don't think its fair to "side" with anyone in this position, especially when we know sweet **** all, and that sweet **** all is probably all we'll ever know!

no idea, but you have no idea either!

I don't think its fair to "side" with anyone in this position, especially when we know sweet **** all, and that sweet **** all is probably all we'll ever know!

Well I'm siding with the way it is most likely going to go, not to mention the way the South African police have chosen. Innocent before proven guilty. I seriously hope she gets named and shamed in SA if I am correct. Falsely accusing of such a deed is nearly as disgraceful as the deed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

The huge positive from this tournament is the outstanding scrum half play for us. A weak position for us for some time and now 2 have 2 great scrum halves coming through. I doubt Marmion will be able to make those dazzling runs in the senior game though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I wouldn't call much of what McGrath did outstanding. Though I think he has another year at this level and obviously huge potential there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I wouldn't call much of what McGrath did outstanding. Though I think he has another year at this level and obviously huge potential there.

McGrath didn't really do anything, he had a few appearances off the bench and a start with a 'B' team, but nothing significant (in the JWC that is).

I agree next year will be his chance at this level, the experience of this year will help him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Tox56 wrote: »
    McGrath didn't really do anything, he had a few appearances off the bench and a start with a 'B' team, but nothing significant (in the JWC that is).

I agree next year will be his chance at this level, the experience of this year will help him.
    I thought his pass was very wobbly, the ball went end over end sometimes. He definitely needs to work on this, but time is on his side.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,757 ✭✭✭✭bilston

GerM wrote: »
    The idea that players who are 19/20 now could be ready for HEC standard is fanciful. John Cooney was a very good U20 player who impressed me more than either scrum half in this year's squad but his first senior appearance was a horror show.

John Cooney impressed you as U20s scrum half? Really? I thought he was awful. In fact I couldn't believe it was the same player that I was watching in the final 10 mins of the HEC final where he actually looked pretty decent.

bilston wrote: »
    John Cooney impressed you as U20s scrum half? Really? I thought he was awful. In fact I couldn't believe it was the same player that I was watching in the final 10 mins of the HEC final where he actually looked pretty decent.

he was a class apart in each of the inter pro games I saw.

emmet02 wrote: »

he was a class apart in each of the inter pro games I saw.

Fair enough but I thought he was poor for the Irish u20s. Don't want to knock the kid and in fairness what I saw in that 10 minute cameo in the HEC final was positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Yup, very smooth and efficient. Did nothing flashy, read the game well and was at the breakdown instantly feeding the ball out smoothly. I think he was an important component in that back line. The back line alone scored 15 tries in the 6N that season. He looked like he was a senior player out there in terms of composure. I wasn't particularly surprised when Leinster took him out of the first year of the academy straight into the senior panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 churchy10

Next years team were very highly rated and successful at under 18 winning the european championship. The team that started the final was:
    15 - Rory Scholes (Campbell College)
    14 - Conor McEllin (Blackrock College)
    13 - Robert Henshaw (Marist College, Athlone)
    12 - Chris Farrell (Campbell College)
    11 - Mark Roche (Blackrock College)
    10 - Stuart Olding (Belfast Royal Academy)
    9 - Luke McGrath (St. Michael's College) (capt)
    1 - Gordon Frayne (Clongowes Wood College)
    2 - Bryan Byrne (Clongowes Wood College)
    3 - Edward Byrne (Clongowes Wood College)
    4 - Jerry Sexton (St. Mary's College)
    5 - Gavin Thornbury (Blackrock College)
    6 - Donagh Lawler (St. Michael’s College)
    7 - Dan Leavy (St. Michael’s College)
    8 - Ryan Murphy (Presentation Brothers College, Cork)

Where do you see there being changes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Mark Roche impressed me when I saw him in that successful side. He wasn't fast but he was a terrier that constantly looked for work.

I doubt Sexton will be there, I'd say either Dillane or McCarthy will take that place. Also, I haven't seen McEllin play in a while, I think he's off the scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

churchy10 wrote: »
    Next years team were very highly rated and successful at under 18 winning the european championship. The team that started the final was:

Thats just the schools lads.
    Thomas Daly could get looked at in the centre.
    Ultan Dillane who will be in the connacht academy next season should be involved in the second row
    In the backrow Akhlaque Khan and Eoghan Masterson are 2 very good players

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I've heard great things about Rory Scholes.

What's the name of the speedy little winger from Munster who had a little bit of buzz surrounding him for the 18s this year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

What's the name of the speedy little winger from Munster who had a little bit of buzz surrounding him for the 18s this year?

Greg O'Shea. Might be wrong but I think it's a year too early for him.

greg o shea is the winger. he's underage for 18s again this september

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

ormond lad wrote: »
    Thomas Daly could get looked at in the centre

The Co.Carlow player? What sort of a prospect is he? I haven't heard a huge amount of hype about him around the club to be honest, maybe I'm talking to the wrong people.

Morf wrote: »
    The Co.Carlow player? What sort of a prospect is he? I haven't heard a huge amount of hype about him around the club to be honest, maybe I'm talking to the wrong people.
    yeah
    good strong ball carrier. was involved with the stronger leinster 19s side last sept that won the 19s interpros. seen him play a few times. very good player

ormond lad wrote: »
    yeah
    good strong ball carrier. was involved with the stronger leinster 19s side last sept that won the 19s interpros. seen him play a few times. very good player

Would he be in the Leinster sub-academy?

Morf wrote: »
    Would he be in the Leinster sub-academy?
    no idea. he could be but as a list of the leinster sub academy is never released we wont know.
    the only time ive ever seen any list of players in a provincial sub academy was the munster sub academy which listed a group of players in the programme from the munster v australia game in 2010

Ah sorry. I should have been more clear. Would he be that sort of ability level?

GerM wrote: »
    Yup, very smooth and efficient. Did nothing flashy, read the game well and was at the breakdown instantly feeding the ball out smoothly. I think he was an important component in that back line. The back line alone scored 15 tries in the 6N that season. He looked like he was a senior player out there in terms of composure. I wasn't particularly surprised when Leinster took him out of the first year of the academy straight into the senior panel.

Hmmmm, well we'll have to agree to disagree then because that's certainly not my memory of him at U20 level!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

churchy10 wrote: »

Don't know much about the other provinces, but I believe 5 of those there (McGrath, Byrne brothers, Thornbury and Leavy) will be in the Leinster academy next season so there is some quality in that team. Van der Flier will also be in the academy and he should be eligible too.

Good news is that of those 6 in the academy, 5 are forwards, and you need a strong pack at this age group to stay competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

You'd hope there'd be at least 3 form the club squad to make the team.

Advertisement