Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL/OL GERMAN BEFORE/AFTER**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

It's always better to write more than less in the letter/ausserung. If you don't get the content marks you can't get enough marks for expression, after all.

And am I the only one that generally prefers the other schriftliche produktion? :o I was the only one to do that one in my mock!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

leaveiton wrote: »
    It's always better to write more than less in the letter/ausserung. If you don't get the content marks you can't get enough marks for expression, after all.

And am I the only one that generally prefers the other schriftliche produktion? :o I was the only one to do that one in my mock!

seriously!? O: it's nashty! at least for the letter you can get a few marks straight away just with the opening and closing that you've learnt off. that's why i prefer the letter.. :)

PANIC
    1. She repeats “Hallo, Hallo”/she says “Hallo, Hallo” in a panicked tone
    2. Um Gottes Willen, bleiben Sie am Apparat (For God’s sake, stay on the phone) she pleads
    3. Legen Sie nicht auf, (Don’t hang up)
    4. Sonst bin ich verloren. (or I’m lost) (she is lost = 0 )
    5. Sie sind meine einzige Rettung. (You are my only hope (of rescue))
    6. Bitte, bitte. (Please, Please)
    7. Ich habe die totale Panik (I’m having a panic attack / I am in total panic)
    8. Sie müssen mir helfen (You’ve got to help me.)
    9. Ich habe laut geschrien (I screamed loudly)
    10. She repeats/says “Ich muss hier raus, ich muss hier raus” (I’ve gotta get out of here)
    11. Bitte helfen Sie mir, bitte (Please help me, please…)
    12. Ich habe (schreckliche) Angst (dass ich hier die Nacht verbringen muss). (I’m terrified, (I’ll have to
    spend the night here).
    13. Was soll ich nur tun (What am I to do?)
    14. Ich sterbe vor Angst (I’m dying of fear)
    15. Ich kann nicht mehr klar denken. (I’m not able to think clearly any more.)
    16. Ich halte das hier nicht mehr lange aus! (I can’t stand it here much longer)

ANNOYED
    1. (What I discovered this morning) is the pits! (Was ich heute Morgen schon wieder entdeckt habe) ist die
    Höhe.
    2. Das geht wirklich zu weit (it’s going too far)
    3. He says in an annoyed tone “Haben Sie das denn noch nicht gesehen?”
    4. The whole wall/hall (on the right) is covered in /smeared in graffiti („Die ganze rechte Wand/die
    Turnhalle ist mit Graffiti beschmiert“) (but He gives out about graffiti = 0)
    5. The hall was newly painted
    6. Painting cost a lot of money. (must be past tense)
    7. Such a mess. (“So eine Schweinerei”)
    8. I don’t know what is going on inside today’s young people’s heads.
    9. It’s just outrageous/disgraceful (unverschämt) (but shameful/ it’s a shame = 0)
    10. No respect.
    11. I’m so frustrated! (but “frustriert” only = 0)
    12. You’ve got to do something. (Sie müssen etwas tun)
    1. Da sieht es ja vielleicht aus.(You should see it!)
    2. (Ganz schön) schlimm.(Really bad)
    3. (Es ist einfach) unglaublich! (unbelievable/ unthinkable/ incredible)
    4. ... Müll/Pizzakartons/ Getränkedosen/Bierflaschen (rubbish/litter/ pizza boxes/ cans/
    beer bottles)
    5. Warum räumen die dann ihren Müll nicht weg? (Why don’t they clean up the
    rubbish?)
    6. Das geht doch nicht! (That’s not on!/ it’s unacceptable)
    7. Wer soll dann den Müll wegmachen ..(who is supposed to clean up..)
    8. ... sollten sie nicht den Müll wegwerfen. (... shouldnt just throw rubbish away)
    9. (Ich werde) mich beschweren (I’m going to make a complaint)

WORRY
    1. Um Gottes Willen (Oh my God...)
    2. Also stimmt es doch (So it is true)
    3. Ich habe (die ganze Nacht) kein Auge zugemacht (I didn’t sleep a wink all night)
    4. Beruhigen? Wenn ich mir vorstelle … (Calm down? How can I when I imagine / he says
    “beruhigen”in a worried/ questioning voice)
    5. Ich mache mir (solche) Sorgen. (I’m … worried.)
    6. Was Gefährlicheres gibt’s doch gar nicht. (There’s nothing more dangerous than that)
    7. Ich soll mir keine Sorgen machen? Sie sind gut. (I shouldn’t be worried? It’s easy for you to say)
    8. ... da passieren die schrecklichsten Dinge (The most awful things happen)
    9. Ich habe (ganz) furchtbare Szenen vor Augen. (I can visualise terrible scenes)
    10. Any one example of a stunt: fällt von Motorrädern/ springt von Brücken und aus Fenstern/ wird von
    Autos überfahren/ muss durch Feuerflammen rennen/ Ein Autocrash nach dem anderen (one car crash
    after the other)/ Ein Flammeninferno (an inferno)/ Explosionen
    11. Wenn Tanja sich (nun) verletzt … (If Tanya gets injured …)
    12. Das könnte ihr (ganzes) Leben ruinieren (Her whole life could be ruined)
    13. Sie ist doch erst achtzehn (She’s only 18)
    14. Der Gedanke ist (einfach) zu schrecklich (It doesn’t bear thinking)
    15. Ich weiß (vor Sorge) weder ein noch aus. (I’m so worried I don’t know if I’m coming or going)
    16. Vielleicht kann Herr Scholz mich beruhigen (Maybe he can put my mind to rest/ calm me)
    1. Ich bin ja froh, dass ich Sie erreiche. (...I am glad I got through to you...)
    2. Eine Katastrophe! (A disaster / catastrophe!)
    3. Ich weiȕ gar nicht, wie das gehen soll. (I don’t know how it’s going to work)
    4. Ja, was machen wir (denn jetzt? )(Yes but, what will we do (now)?)
    5. Ist die Situation noch zu retten? (What can be done to rectify the matter?)
    6. Und jetzt dies! (And now this!)
    7. Ich bin wirklich ratlos.(...I don’t know what to do)
    8. (Sie müssen das) Problem lösen. (You must solve this problem)
    9. (Secretary says) “keine Panik” ( secretary tells him not to panic)

CONFUSION
    1. Das müssen Sie (mir aber mal) erklären! (I’m afraid you are going to have to explain that
    to me)
    2. Ich verstehe (überhaupt) nicht(s mehr). (I don’t understand anything any more)
    3. Ich habe nicht die blasseste/ keine Ahnung, (woher diese Pakete auf einmal kommen.) (I
    haven’t the slightest/ a clue, (where the parcels appeared from)
    4. (Mir ist aber völlig) unklar,........... (It is a complete mystery to me/ unclear)
    5. .....,wieso sie vor meiner Haustür stehen. (why they landed outside my front door)
    6. Das muss ein Irrtum sein. (It must be a mistake)
    7. Ich tappe (da völlig) im Dunkeln. (I’m at a (complete) loss/ I am in the dark)
    8. (Es ist mir ein totales) Rätsel,......(It is a complete mystery/puzzle to me ...)
    9. (Können Sie mir sagen,) wo ich sie hinstellen soll? (Can you tell me) where I’m
    supposed to put them?)
    10. ....., wenn Sie das bald klären könnten. (..... if you could clarify that for me)

DISSATISFACTION
    1. Ich möchte mich beschweren. (I have a complaint))
    2. Wie? Begeistert? (What do you mean? Thrilled?)
    3. Wir sind überhaupt nicht begeistert (We are not at all thrilled)
    4. Die Torte ist kaputt. (The cake is in bits)
    5. Glauben Sie, ich mache Spaß? (Do you think I’m joking?)
    6. Die Torte ist zerdrückt/ zerquetscht (the cake is completely squashed)
    7. Die Kerzen zerbrochen. (The candles are broken) // Alle 18 Kerzen sind kaputt (All
    18 candles are broken)
    8. Die Schokolade ist ganz weich / Alles verschmiert
    9. Es ist eine Schweinerei (It’s one big mess) (It is a pig-sty= 0)
    10. So ein Flop! (Such a flop)
    11. Was ist denn das für ein Partyservice? (You call that a party service?)
    12. Ich verlange, dass Sie uns sofort eine neue Torte bringen (I demand/insist on a new
    cake (be delivered immediately) // I want a new cake immediately)
    13. Über den Preis müssen wir auch noch reden (we will have to discuss the price ..)

GRATITUDE
    1. Wir möchten uns … bedanken (We would like to thank him)
    2. Und wie wir uns bedanken wollen! (Indeed we do wish to thank him)
    3. Wir werden ihm dankbar sein bis ans Ende unserer Tage (we will be grateful to him
    until the end of our days/Forever)
    4. Unendlich dankbar (Eternally grateful)
    5. Dem Himmel sei Dank dafür! (Thank heavens)
    6. Unser Sohn verdankt diesem Schüler sein Leben (Our son owes his life to this
    student/ pupil)
    7. (Wir können Gott) auf Knien danken… (We can get down on our knees and thank
    God…)
    8. (Wir sind diesem Schüler zu) tiefer Dankbarkeit verpflichtet (We owe him a debt of
    gratitude)
    9. Vielen Dank (he thanks her for her help)

ENTHUSIASM
    1. Super
    2. Atmosphäre wahnsinnig (atmosphere crazy/ brilliant/ amazing)
    3. (Ich bin hellauf) begeistert (totally thrilled)
    4. (Der Jugendevent ist) supertoller Erfolg (a brilliant/total success)
    5. Auf der ganzen Linie! (in every way)
    6. (Einfach) unbeschreiblich. (Simply indescribable) Unbeschrieblich = 0
    7. scheint die Sonne wie verrückt! (The sun is beating down)
    8. (Spaß) den werde ich haben. (sure thing/ will do)
    9. tolle Erfahrung. (A super/ amazing experience) erfahren=0
    10. (So) klasse (it’s class /(so) fantastic)
    11. Ich bin ganz aus dem Häuschen. (I’m thrilled to bits)

CONTENTMENT
    1. Ich bin froh, (I am / he is glad / happy)
    2. Etwas Sinnvolles (something worthwhile)
    3. hat sich gelohnt (worth it) (it is profitable = 0)
    4. viel gelernt ( learnt a lot)
    5. profitiert (benefited)
    6. Ich würde jedem raten, so etwas zu machen (I would advise anybody to do this)
    7. wie gut wir/sie es haben (how well off we/they are)
    8. wichtig für meine Zukunft (important for my future)

HIGH OPINION OF SELF
    1. Meinen Namen kennen Sie bestimmt. (You surely know my name.)
    2. Er müsste Ihnen schon ein Begriff sein ...(You surely must know it)
    3. Dismay that she has been asked her name again
    4. Mit super professionellen Fotos von mir. (Great professional photos of me)
    5. Aber nicht eine so gute wie meine! (But not one as good as mine!)
    6. Mit meinen langen blonden Haaren (With my long blond hair)
    7. (super)lange Beine (very) long legs)
    8. Topfigur (super figure)
    9. (Ich) falle ich sofort auf. (I attract attention immediately)
    10. Ich habe nämlich schon Preise gewonnen... (After all I did win prizes already...)
    11. Sie können von Glück sagen, dass ich bei Ihnen modeln will. (You can consider yourself
    lucky that I want to model for you.)
    12. …ich habe eine groȕe Karriere vor mir. (…I have a great career ahead of me.)
    13. Das weiȕ ich einfach! (I just know that!)
    14. Natürlich könnte ich auch dort modeln, (wenn ich wollte). (Of course, I could also model
    there if I wanted.)

IMPRESSED
    1. Hey, das ist ja klasse. (Hey, that’s great.)
    6. Besser kann’s gar nicht sein. (It couldn’t be better.)
    7. Das wäre echt ideal für mich. (That would be ideal for me.)
    9. Mensch, toll …(Gee, great…)

PESSIMISTIC
    1. Ich bin sicher, das hat jemand mitgenommen. (I’m sure somebody took it)
    2. Sowas kann auch nur mir passieren… (It could only happen to me…)
    3. Ich glaube nicht, dass ich das Handy wiederbekomme (I don’t think I’ll get it back)
    4. Ich weiß nicht einmal genau, wo wir gesessen haben (I don’t even know where we
    were sitting)
    6. Ich sehe da echt schwarz! (I am really pessimistic about this! / this looks bad)
    7. Ich kann mir echt nicht vorstellen, dass das Handy abgegeben wird. (I can’t imagine
    that it will be handed in.)

SHOCK/SURPRISE
    1. Ich glaub’, ich spinne! (I think I’m crazy)
    2. Was ist das denn! (What’s that!)
    6. Ich glaube, ich sehe nicht richtig! (I can’t be seeing this!)
    8. Sie kriegt genau so einen Schock wie ich ... (She’ll get the same shock as myself ...)

REGRET
    1. ...es tut mir unheimlich leid, aber ... (…I’m terribly sorry, but …)
    2. Es tut mir wirklich sehr leid, dass … (I’m really sorry that ...)
    3. Also, ich bitte Sie nochmals tausendmal um Entschuldigung. (Well, again, I apologize to
    you a thousand times / profusely).
    4. Ich bedaure die Situation auch sehr. (I also regret the situation.)
    5. Es fällt mir (jetzt auch) nicht leicht … (It is not easy for me (either) …)
    7. … glauben Sie mir das bitte! (… please believe me!)

SKEPTICAL
    1. Meinst du wirklich? (Are you serious?)
    3. Also, ich weiß wirklich nicht. (I’m not so sure)
    7. ...ich glaube nicht, dass das eine gute Idee ist. (I don’t think it’s a good idea).

{ shtole them all from the marking schemes.. some might be repeated tomorrow! :) }

Bubbleope wrote: »
    seriously!? O: it's nashty! at least for the letter you can get a few marks straight away just with the opening and closing that you've learnt off. that's why i prefer the letter.. :)

Well I only really like it if I'm confident enough on the theme! I just like how it's all based around one idea, in the letter I could be grand with 3 sections but know nothing for a 4th, you know? Plus the first question is always "Describe what you see in the picture" so it's grand :P I've also never learned off an opening/closing for the letter :pac:

Well I only really like it if I'm confident enough on the theme! I just like how it's all based around one idea, in the letter I could be grand with 3 sections but know nothing for a 4th, you know? Plus the first question is always "Describe what you see in the picture" so it's grand :P I've also never learned off an opening/closing for the letter :pac:

ah you should in case the theme in the second option is a b*tch!! :pac:

i wonder if they're gonna put up a formal letter this year though? O: i dunno how to write a formal letter.. :L ahh

• Advertisement

ah you should in case the theme in the second option is a b*tch!! :pac:

i wonder if they're gonna put up a formal letter this year though? O: i dunno how to write a formal letter.. :L ahh

Haha I will :pac: How long are your openings/closings? Might just nick something from a past paper later on :P

Have they ever asked a formal letter? Is it even on the syllabus? (Not doubting you, just my teacher's never mentioned it!)

Haha I will :pac: How long are your openings/closings? Might just nick something from a past paper later on :P

Have they ever asked a formal letter? Is it even on the syllabus? (Not doubting you, just my teacher's never mentioned it!)

no it is on the syllabus!! O: my teacher only mentioned it like the final week saying that it probably won't come up.... :mad: (angry face for telling us about it VERY late)! it shows an example at the start of the papers! :eek: just checked!! :) gonna learn that maybe
    i don't think its ever been asked before. S: first time for everything though.. S: can't risk it! O:

and my opening and closings are like 4-5 lines long.. :)

no it is on the syllabus!! O: my teacher only mentioned it like the final week saying that it probably won't come up.... :mad: (angry face for telling us about it VERY late)! it shows an example at the start of the papers! :eek: just checked!! :) gonna learn that maybe
    i don't think its ever been asked before. S: first time for everything though.. S: can't risk it! O:

Would you be able to PM me the sample in the papers by any chance, even just the basic layout? I don't think it's in my papers (folens). That's mad though!

Would you be able to PM me the sample in the papers by any chance, even just the basic layout? I don't think it's in my papers (folens). That's mad though!

sure. :) it doesn't really show a proper layout though. O: evil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Formal letter is more junior cert, they can't ask you to write on as many themes as they can in a personal letter really. If it did come up all you'd have to do really would be to start with "Sehr geehrte Herren und Damen" and end with "Mit freundlichen Grussen" and use Sie instead of du etc.

as for learning off opening/closing, I just make that up on the day based on what they say in the letter and add in a few general things like "Es tut mir wirklich leid, dass ich erst jetzt schreibe. Wie ich dir schon erzählt habe, habe ich im Moment nur wenig Freizeit, weil ich für mein "Leaving Cert" lernen muss. Das ist die irische Entsprechung von dem Abitur. Es ist immer echt toll über dein Leben zu hören, und dieses mal war keine Ausnahme. Ich werde mein Bestes tun, deinen interessanten Fragen zu antworten."
    Just make up a load of mindless flattery off the top of my head, can't be bothered learning something off :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Well I've done absolutely nothing yet, planning obesity/relaxing and Olympics and sport. Anything else :L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

The formal letter has never been asked since they brought in the course in '97 I believe. Honestly I wouldn't bother stressing over it. If they put it on, 99% of the country won't have a clue what they're supposed to do and they'll just end up marking it super leniently.

about 35 minutes per reading comprehension, 15 minutes for the grammar, 25 for the Ausserung, 40 minutes for the letter. :)

Cheers. I also worked out that if you just subtract 10 from the marks for each section you end up with a timing scheme that leaves you with 10 mins at the end to look over your work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

Cill94 wrote: »
    Cheers. I also worked out that if you just subtract 10 from the marks for each section you end up with a timing scheme that leaves you with 10 mins at the end to look over your work :D

Do you mean 50 minutes for text 1, 50 for text 2, 15 for the grammar, 15 for the ausserung, and 40 for the letter? That would be 170 minutes. The exam is 150 minutes?

Feeling confident now that I can bring my B3 in the mock up to a B1 tomorrow. My overall mock result was 74% and I know my oral already went better than the mock one and I've been practising the aural a lot too. I can do this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

PANIC
    2. Um Gottes Willen, bleiben Sie am Apparat (For God’s sake, stay on the phone) she pleads
    5. Sie sind meine einzige Rettung. (You are my only hope (of rescue))
    6. Bitte, bitte. (Please, Please)
    7. Ich habe die totale Panik (I’m having a panic attack / I am in total panic)
    8. Sie müssen mir helfen (You’ve got to help me.)
    10. She repeats/says “Ich muss hier raus, ich muss hier raus” (I’ve gotta get out of here)
    12. Ich habe (schreckliche) Angst (dass ich hier die Nacht verbringen muss). (I’m terrified, (I’ll have to
    spend the night here).
    13. Was soll ich nur tun (What am I to do?)
    14. Ich sterbe vor Angst (I’m dying of fear)
    16. Ich halte das hier nicht mehr lange aus! (I can’t stand it here much longer)

ANNOYED
    1. (What I discovered this morning) is the pits! (Was ich heute Morgen schon wieder entdeckt habe) ist die
    Höhe.
    4. The whole wall/hall (on the right) is covered in /smeared in graffiti („Die ganze rechte Wand/die
    9. It’s just outrageous/disgraceful (unverschämt) (but shameful/ it’s a shame = 0)
    10. No respect.
    1. Da sieht es ja vielleicht aus.(You should see it!)
    2. (Ganz schön) schlimm.(Really bad)
    3. (Es ist einfach) unglaublich! (unbelievable/ unthinkable/ incredible)
    4. ... Müll/Pizzakartons/ Getränkedosen/Bierflaschen (rubbish/litter/ pizza boxes/ cans/
    beer bottles)
    5. Warum räumen die dann ihren Müll nicht weg? (Why don’t they clean up the
    rubbish?)
    6. Das geht doch nicht! (That’s not on!/ it’s unacceptable)
    7. Wer soll dann den Müll wegmachen ..(who is supposed to clean up..)
    8. ... sollten sie nicht den Müll wegwerfen. (... shouldnt just throw rubbish away)
    9. (Ich werde) mich beschweren (I’m going to make a complaint)

WORRY
    1. Um Gottes Willen (Oh my God...)
    2. Also stimmt es doch (So it is true)
    3. Ich habe (die ganze Nacht) kein Auge zugemacht (I didn’t sleep a wink all night)
    4. Beruhigen? Wenn ich mir vorstelle … (Calm down? How can I when I imagine / he says
    “beruhigen”in a worried/ questioning voice)
    5. Ich mache mir (solche) Sorgen. (I’m … worried.)
    6. Was Gefährlicheres gibt’s doch gar nicht. (There’s nothing more dangerous than that)
    7. Ich soll mir keine Sorgen machen? Sie sind gut. (I shouldn’t be worried? It’s easy for you to say)
    8. ... da passieren die schrecklichsten Dinge (The most awful things happen)
    9. Ich habe (ganz) furchtbare Szenen vor Augen. (I can visualise terrible scenes)
    10. Any one example of a stunt: fällt von Motorrädern/ springt von Brücken und aus Fenstern/ wird von
    Autos überfahren/ muss durch Feuerflammen rennen/ Ein Autocrash nach dem anderen (one car crash
    after the other)/ Ein Flammeninferno (an inferno)/ Explosionen
    11. Wenn Tanja sich (nun) verletzt … (If Tanya gets injured …)
    12. Das könnte ihr (ganzes) Leben ruinieren (Her whole life could be ruined)
    13. Sie ist doch erst achtzehn (She’s only 18)
    14. Der Gedanke ist (einfach) zu schrecklich (It doesn’t bear thinking)
    15. Ich weiß (vor Sorge) weder ein noch aus. (I’m so worried I don’t know if I’m coming or going)
    16. Vielleicht kann Herr Scholz mich beruhigen (Maybe he can put my mind to rest/ calm me)
    1. Ich bin ja froh, dass ich Sie erreiche. (...I am glad I got through to you...)
    2. Eine Katastrophe! (A disaster / catastrophe!)
    3. Ich weiȕ gar nicht, wie das gehen soll. (I don’t know how it’s going to work)
    4. Ja, was machen wir (denn jetzt? )(Yes but, what will we do (now)?)
    5. Ist die Situation noch zu retten? (What can be done to rectify the matter?)
    6. Und jetzt dies! (And now this!)
    7. Ich bin wirklich ratlos.(...I don’t know what to do)
    8. (Sie müssen das) Problem lösen. (You must solve this problem)
    9. (Secretary says) “keine Panik” ( secretary tells him not to panic)

CONFUSION
    1. Das müssen Sie (mir aber mal) erklären! (I’m afraid you are going to have to explain that
    to me)
    2. Ich verstehe (überhaupt) nicht(s mehr). (I don’t understand anything any more)
    3. Ich habe nicht die blasseste/ keine Ahnung, (woher diese Pakete auf einmal kommen.) (I
    haven’t the slightest/ a clue, (where the parcels appeared from)
    4. (Mir ist aber völlig) unklar,........... (It is a complete mystery to me/ unclear)
    5. .....,wieso sie vor meiner Haustür stehen. (why they landed outside my front door)
    6. Das muss ein Irrtum sein. (It must be a mistake)
    7. Ich tappe (da völlig) im Dunkeln. (I’m at a (complete) loss/ I am in the dark)
    8. (Es ist mir ein totales) Rätsel,......(It is a complete mystery/puzzle to me ...)
    9. (Können Sie mir sagen,) wo ich sie hinstellen soll? (Can you tell me) where I’m
    supposed to put them?)
    10. ....., wenn Sie das bald klären könnten. (..... if you could clarify that for me)

DISSATISFACTION
    1. Ich möchte mich beschweren. (I have a complaint))
    2. Wie? Begeistert? (What do you mean? Thrilled?)
    3. Wir sind überhaupt nicht begeistert (We are not at all thrilled)
    4. Die Torte ist kaputt. (The cake is in bits)
    5. Glauben Sie, ich mache Spaß? (Do you think I’m joking?)
    6. Die Torte ist zerdrückt/ zerquetscht (the cake is completely squashed)
    7. Die Kerzen zerbrochen. (The candles are broken) // Alle 18 Kerzen sind kaputt (All
    18 candles are broken)
    8. Die Schokolade ist ganz weich / Alles verschmiert
    9. Es ist eine Schweinerei (It’s one big mess) (It is a pig-sty= 0)
    10. So ein Flop! (Such a flop)
    11. Was ist denn das für ein Partyservice? (You call that a party service?)
    12. Ich verlange, dass Sie uns sofort eine neue Torte bringen (I demand/insist on a new
    cake (be delivered immediately) // I want a new cake immediately)
    13. Über den Preis müssen wir auch noch reden (we will have to discuss the price ..)

GRATITUDE
    1. Wir möchten uns … bedanken (We would like to thank him)
    2. Und wie wir uns bedanken wollen! (Indeed we do wish to thank him)
    3. Wir werden ihm dankbar sein bis ans Ende unserer Tage (we will be grateful to him
    until the end of our days/Forever)
    4. Unendlich dankbar (Eternally grateful)
    5. Dem Himmel sei Dank dafür! (Thank heavens)
    6. Unser Sohn verdankt diesem Schüler sein Leben (Our son owes his life to this
    student/ pupil)
    7. (Wir können Gott) auf Knien danken… (We can get down on our knees and thank
    God…)
    8. (Wir sind diesem Schüler zu) tiefer Dankbarkeit verpflichtet (We owe him a debt of
    gratitude)
    9. Vielen Dank (he thanks her for her help)

ENTHUSIASM
    1. Super
    2. Atmosphäre wahnsinnig (atmosphere crazy/ brilliant/ amazing)
    3. (Ich bin hellauf) begeistert (totally thrilled)
    4. (Der Jugendevent ist) supertoller Erfolg (a brilliant/total success)
    5. Auf der ganzen Linie! (in every way)
    6. (Einfach) unbeschreiblich. (Simply indescribable) Unbeschrieblich = 0
    7. scheint die Sonne wie verrückt! (The sun is beating down)
    8. (Spaß) den werde ich haben. (sure thing/ will do)
    9. tolle Erfahrung. (A super/ amazing experience) erfahren=0
    10. (So) klasse (it’s class /(so) fantastic)
    11. Ich bin ganz aus dem Häuschen. (I’m thrilled to bits)

CONTENTMENT
    1. Ich bin froh, (I am / he is glad / happy)
    2. Etwas Sinnvolles (something worthwhile)
    3. hat sich gelohnt (worth it) (it is profitable = 0)
    4. viel gelernt ( learnt a lot)
    5. profitiert (benefited)
    6. Ich würde jedem raten, so etwas zu machen (I would advise anybody to do this)
    7. wie gut wir/sie es haben (how well off we/they are)
    8. wichtig für meine Zukunft (important for my future)

HIGH OPINION OF SELF
    1. Meinen Namen kennen Sie bestimmt. (You surely know my name.)
    2. Er müsste Ihnen schon ein Begriff sein ...(You surely must know it)
    3. Dismay that she has been asked her name again
    4. Mit super professionellen Fotos von mir. (Great professional photos of me)
    5. Aber nicht eine so gute wie meine! (But not one as good as mine!)
    6. Mit meinen langen blonden Haaren (With my long blond hair)
    7. (super)lange Beine (very) long legs)
    8. Topfigur (super figure)
    9. (Ich) falle ich sofort auf. (I attract attention immediately)
    10. Ich habe nämlich schon Preise gewonnen... (After all I did win prizes already...)
    11. Sie können von Glück sagen, dass ich bei Ihnen modeln will. (You can consider yourself
    lucky that I want to model for you.)
    12. …ich habe eine groȕe Karriere vor mir. (…I have a great career ahead of me.)
    13. Das weiȕ ich einfach! (I just know that!)
    14. Natürlich könnte ich auch dort modeln, (wenn ich wollte). (Of course, I could also model
    there if I wanted.)

IMPRESSED
    1. Hey, das ist ja klasse. (Hey, that’s great.)
    6. Besser kann’s gar nicht sein. (It couldn’t be better.)
    7. Das wäre echt ideal für mich. (That would be ideal for me.)
    9. Mensch, toll …(Gee, great…)

PESSIMISTIC
    1. Ich bin sicher, das hat jemand mitgenommen. (I’m sure somebody took it)
    2. Sowas kann auch nur mir passieren… (It could only happen to me…)
    3. Ich glaube nicht, dass ich das Handy wiederbekomme (I don’t think I’ll get it back)
    4. Ich weiß nicht einmal genau, wo wir gesessen haben (I don’t even know where we
    were sitting)
    6. Ich sehe da echt schwarz! (I am really pessimistic about this! / this looks bad)
    7. Ich kann mir echt nicht vorstellen, dass das Handy abgegeben wird. (I can’t imagine
    that it will be handed in.)

SHOCK/SURPRISE
    1. Ich glaub’, ich spinne! (I think I’m crazy)
    2. Was ist das denn! (What’s that!)
    6. Ich glaube, ich sehe nicht richtig! (I can’t be seeing this!)
    8. Sie kriegt genau so einen Schock wie ich ... (She’ll get the same shock as myself ...)

REGRET
    1. ...es tut mir unheimlich leid, aber ... (…I’m terribly sorry, but …)
    2. Es tut mir wirklich sehr leid, dass … (I’m really sorry that ...)
    3. Also, ich bitte Sie nochmals tausendmal um Entschuldigung. (Well, again, I apologize to
    you a thousand times / profusely).
    4. Ich bedaure die Situation auch sehr. (I also regret the situation.)
    5. Es fällt mir (jetzt auch) nicht leicht … (It is not easy for me (either) …)
    7. … glauben Sie mir das bitte! (… please believe me!)

SKEPTICAL
    1. Meinst du wirklich? (Are you serious?)
    3. Also, ich weiß wirklich nicht. (I’m not so sure)
    7. ...ich glaube nicht, dass das eine gute Idee ist. (I don’t think it’s a good idea).

{ shtole them all from the marking schemes.. some might be repeated tomorrow! :) }

thanx these are so helpful, are these from the institute.

Do you mean 50 minutes for text 1, 50 for text 2, 15 for the grammar, 15 for the ausserung, and 40 for the letter? That would be 170 minutes. The exam is 150 minutes?

:o...this is why I do ordinary maths. Phew, thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bluesky94

PANIC
    spend the night here).

ANNOYED
    Höhe.
    10. No respect.

Our teacher told us to be careful with this question. You have to be exact/very accurate with the German but they are often more lenient with the translation to English. At the same time, as you can see above, they don't accept certain general translations so we were told to write down the German and then during the long pauses or on the third playing, you can write down the English translation and leave both there. Write down everything you think is even remotely relevant.. No negative marking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

bluesky94 wrote: »
    Our teacher told us to be careful with this question. You have to be exact/very accurate with the German but they are often more lenient with the translation to English. At the same time, as you can see above, they don't accept certain general translations so we were told to write down the German and then during the long pauses or on the third playing, you can write down the English translation and leave both there. Write down everything you think is even remotely relevant.. No negative marking :)

For this question do you answer in English or German? (Part 2 Question 2 of the Aural)

Cill94 wrote: »
    :o...this is why I do ordinary maths. Phew, thanks for that!

spend 40 mins on each text, 15 mins on angewante grammatik, 15 mins on auserung zum thema and about 30 mins for the letter! that leaves 10 minutes left. :)

• Advertisement

Here's my approximate time plan.

Comprehensions - 25 mins each
    Grammar - 10 mins
    Ausserung - 30 mins
    Letter - 1 hour

I like saving time on the comprehensions because I write a lot for the letter and ausserung. :) The grammar may take less than 10 minutes too, depending on what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

guys how do you know whats plural or singular, like look at 2010 angewandte grammatik and the first one, or is essen always singular?

Glitt_123 wrote: »
    guys how do you know whats plural or singular, like look at 2010 angewandte grammatik and the first one, or is essen always singular?

das Essen - yup it's always singular. In the 2010 example you can also tell it's singular because it says "leckerem", if it were plural it would be "leckeren" in the dative case.

Glitt_123 wrote: »

Essen as in food? That's a collective noun so I'd say singular.

finality wrote: »
    das Essen - yup it's always singular. In the 2010 example you can also tell it's singular because it says "leckerem", if it were plural it would be "leckeren" in the dative case.

Is that to do with adjectival endings? We barely covered those and the few notes I have on them aren't much help. Do they change depending on the case?

(I always seem to unload my questions onto you, you must think I'm a right thick :P)

Is that to do with adjectival endings? We barely covered those and the few notes I have on them aren't much help. Do they change depending on the case?

(I always seem to unload my questions onto you, you must think I'm a right thick :P)

i think it's just the "the" box finality is talking about. :)
    yeah?? :L

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

Nazata wrote: »
    Once got an aural about a guy who was beaten up by skinheads who then stole his clothes...

Got that one too

Wasnt that in Horschatz or a JC pst paper?

When I said "Do they change depending on the case" that was a really poor choice of wording :P I know they change with the cases, and I don't quite know how to articulate what I was actually trying to say :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

This page will help you if you can learn the tables for tomorrow!

http://skoool.ie/skoool/examcentre_sc.asp?id=2230

The third table is used for this example (leckerem Essen).

• Advertisement

This page will help you if you can learn the tables for tomorrow!

http://skoool.ie/skoool/examcentre_sc.asp?id=2230

The third table is used for this example (leckerem Essen).

Ah that makes sense, thanks! :) We weren't told about ones where there's no article, I only have notes on when there's a definite or indefinite article. Thanks!

Advertisement