Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL/OL GERMAN BEFORE/AFTER**

Options
  • 11-06-2012 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi,decided to make this thread as their is none at the moment let us know your thoughts predictions.
    I'd be looking for hopefully a B in this at Higher level!
    Remember oral=25%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Oh god. This thread means that the German exam is real, doesn't it? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cracknafobia

have a feeling Ausserung zum Thema will be on Sport or sport related issues and if its not there it should be included in the letter.hopefully we get a handy listening!

oh its real not as popular as french though!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Literally forgot about German, my god, might just sacrifice it. Have no idea what to learn, don't know the grammer section-my teacher is absolutely terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

hahahahah ****, I completely forgot about this exam.. For all the work I put into the oral I'd best give this a good cramming soon. Ich muss zugeben, dass die Test nicht so schweirig wird! (oder ich hoffe das! :P)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

If sport, Olympics, exercise and fitness, health, or any other topics along the lines of those, I will weep with happiness in my exam.

Especially if I could stick in the phrase "Ubergewichtige ist ein grosses Problem in Irland" Hah, cracks me up every time. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

German should be grand enough. Can't wait to see what crazy situations the people in the aural/comprehensions get up to this year!

Salmonella from chickens in the pre...text-book German

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

leaveiton wrote: »
    German should be grand enough. Can't wait to see what crazy situations the people in the aural/comprehensions get up to this year!

Wasn't there one about some powder killing a cat? Oh German :rolleyes:

yes there was i think a few years back! comprehensions are usually ok and are worth a fair bit but de grammer section is hit and miss!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

I love german. Do OL but it is so easy to get a B in.

Havent opened a book in the past three months.
    Dont plan to in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I'm so excited about German. I can't wait. It's going to be so much fun, I actually love the German exam. The grammar section is my favourite part <3

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

Ugh..I hate german...I should start going over my grammar since I'm terrible at it..
    Yeah I think sport and exercise will be on...and healthy eating could tie in with that...
    And also Olympics and Special Olympics...and my teacher thought that something on the Obama or the Queens visit could come up

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LauraK118

Has anyone got any tips for the grammer...essay or letter for higher level german? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

Once got an aural about a guy who was beaten up by skinheads who then stole his clothes...

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Anybody any advice for the grammar? My teacher tries her best in fairness but she's not great at explaining stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bokkenspiel

that would be an ecumenical matter

LauraK118 wrote: »
    Has anyone got any tips for the grammer...essay or letter for higher level german? :)
    for the grammer learn all the cases ie accusative nominative dative and genitive and learn how to use them,for the letter learn opening and closing and also nearly always one question on the letter,asked in the past tense!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bluesky94

Angewandte Grammatik Relative Pronouns, Question Words, Verbs and Tenses, Cases (if you learn the table of the different cases you can usually work it out..)

Letter/Ausserung zum Thema Sport, Fettleibigkeit, Olympische Spiele, Doping in Sport..? Or possibly something about Ireland being a welcoming country Obama and the Queen as mentioned above.. ? :cool:

oh dear god

• Advertisement

bluesky94 wrote: »
    Angewandte Grammatik Relative Pronouns, Question Words, Verbs and Tenses, Cases (if you learn the table of the different cases you can usually work it out..)

Letter/Ausserung zum Thema Sport, Fettleibigkeit, Olympische Spiele, Doping in Sport..? Or possibly something about Ireland being a welcoming country Obama and the Queen as mentioned above.. ? :cool:

Er... what is Fettleibigkeit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

leaveiton wrote: »
    Er... what is Fettleibigkeit?

It's obesity :P

finality wrote: »
    It's obesity :P

Thanks, hadn't come across that word for it before :P

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

how have people prepared for german??
    S: all i did was write out points on all possible topics (which imma read over tomorrow)
    and i have a letter opening and closing learned off
    and i have a list of vocab for listening written out too
    and i did all the grammar questions in the papers, making sure i knew how to do them.

!? does that sound like a gammy way to study german? S: i dunno what else to do :o

Obesity :)

It was a topic in 2008 but it came up as 'ways children can lead a more active lifestyle' and 'healthy eating is important'.

I'm going over the stuff we prepared for the oral too.. Like school, hobbies and das Abitur.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 nayrneleh

Angewandte Grammatik - someone please help me with this.
    I get it generally but I have no idea of the dative/accusative/etc. I just can't grasp it.
    Some help would be much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

bluesky94 wrote: »
    Obesity :)

It was a topic in 2008 but it came up as 'ways children can lead a more active lifestyle' and 'healthy eating is important'.

I'm going over the stuff we prepared for the oral too.. Like school, hobbies and das Abitur.. :)

It was in our mock too, something about unhealthy eating though and nutrition, and there was a pic of a girl eating popcorn with her gut protruding from her t-shirt :P

Bet we'll get a weird aural.. German aural is always odd! Is it true that aural isn't on until the end of the exam?

SeanMadd wrote: »
    It was in our mock too, something about unhealthy eating though and nutrition, and there was a pic of a girl eating popcorn with her gut protruding from her t-shirt :P

Bet we'll get a weird aural.. German aural is always odd! Is it true that aural isn't on until the end of the exam?
    yes its after the written paper not sure but think we may get break after written paper for 10 mins not sure about that though!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭jos360

nayrneleh wrote: »
    Angewandte Grammatik - someone please help me with this.
    I get it generally but I have no idea of the dative/accusative/etc. I just can't grasp it.
    Some help would be much appreciated!

The cases are easy enough once you understand what everything in a sentence is doing.
    You've probably heard your teacher say that the noun in the Nominative case is what does the action. The Akusative case is what the verb is done to directly.

This is usually easy enough to find:
    eg. I play football. There are two nouns, 'I' and 'Football'. I am playing, and football is being played. So I is nomnative and football is ackusative.

Dative is usually adding some sort of condition to the sentence so:
    'I play football with Fred' or 'I play football after school'.
    I am still doing the action so I am in the nomnative case.
    Football is still being played so it is in the ackusative case.
    Fred or School are conditions also called indirect subjects. They arn't being played, there not playing, there just like tag ons to the sentence and these are in the Dative case.

Finaly we have Genetive case which we can avoid in our written work but need for the grammer section.
    Take this English sentence for example : 'I drive the man's car'.
    This is how we say this in english but we could also use the genetive case and say 'I drive the car of the man'. It sounds kinda stupid but it's correct.
    If we are using someones name in german, we can just use the english style sentence for example: Ich fahre Freds Auto. But if we don't have a name to use for the owner of the car, we have to use the genetive case.
    Ich fahre die Auto des Mannes. (I drive the car of the man).

So basically the genetive is for denoting possession.

The tricky bit is breaking down a sentence to find the Nom, Ack, Dat, Gen components, but after that it's just whether or not you have your der/die/das table learned off.

Hope that helps

• Advertisement

Certain prepostions always take a certain case like
    Dativ:
    aus, bei, mit, seit, nach, von, zu, gegenuber

Akkusativ:
    fur, durch, ohne, um, gegen, entlang, bis

Genitiv:
    trotz, während, anstatt, wegen, ausserhalb/innerhalb

So if one of those prepostions is in front of the noun, you don't need to work out who is the doer or the subject because the noun is always in that case.

Advertisement