Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barman with tattoos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Motorist wrote: »
    Im talking about facial tattoos on doctors where one can see them. Would you suggest they wear balaclavas?

I can feel another spoon insult coming on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

catthinkin wrote: »
    The majority of people if they had a modicum of sense would want to know the surgeons credentials and his failure rate . His or her appearance should be the last thing on your mind when choosing a surgeon or anyone else for that matter .

Track record and qualifications foremost obviously !

You're in an emergency situation to save some of your spinal root nerves. You have just been in a car accident and have about five minutes to decide and give your consent. There is no time to check track record, history, qualifications.

50% of people who get tattoos regret their decision. The quest for tattoo removal reflects earlier poor decision making and an embarrassing stigma often perceived by the age of 40 years. A whole new profitable industry in tattoo removal has resulted.

Wouldn't be checking to see if they had tatoos either ! Tbh

And going by your stats ( link please! Still 50% happy with their tattoos point ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Opticom

Sonics2k wrote: »
    So you could have two virtually identical Doctors standing in front of you, same skills and qualifications, but one of them has lots of tattoos done. You do not know which one has them, and you'll never find out.

So which do you choose?

TBH, the one that looks like he would not be the tattoo type every time.

But we're not talking about doctors, we're talking about barmen.

Which barman would you choose if you ran a hotel, the one that prefers to keep his tattoo's to himself, or the one that prefers to display them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,082 ✭✭✭BadGirl

Karen23 wrote: »
    The barman in question is very clean cut and actually looks more like the second pic because for work he keeps his arms covered. The question was if a barman with tattoos served you in a pub would it change your opinion of the pub or of him , would it make you not go back to that pub because this barman gave you a bad impression of the place even though he was dressed smartly ( with short sleeves ) and was polite and mannerly towards you. Or would you not even get that far , see the tattoos , think its a dive and walk out.

To answer your question, it would not cast me a second though if he had 2 sleeve tattoos on show, as long as they weren't offensive for the job he was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

It's already been posted that this person doesnt have face or neck tattoos or any piercings , tattoos are on both arms ( nothing offensive ) which are normally covered by long sleeves , would you object as a customer to him occasionally wearing short sleeves

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

If you want to let this guy mess around on your spinal nerves in your battle against the prejudice of human perception, go ahead - but I'm pretty sure the majority of people would choose someone looking a bit more clean cut like this

The first "chap" made me lol. :pac:

This is the best example.
    http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lg8flpAftJ1qh1whgo1_500.jpg

There for, you might not even know a doctor has tattoo sleaves.

No, none of what you have described would be a compelling factor for me to choose one over the other or gives me an indication of their decision-making process.

But then why would you question the decision making process of anyone who is tattooed? Do you not think that is incredibly arrogant of you to question someones decision-making process when you don't even know them????

It's already been posted that this person doesnt have face or neck tattoos or any piercings , tattoos are on both arms ( nothing offensive ) which are normally covered by long sleeves , would you object as a customer to him occasionally wearing short sleeves

No, I would not care either way, his customer service and attitude would be far more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

No not at all does his job well then no rational person would object there is no basis for it . Its irrational and narrow minded to suggest everyone who had tattoos is a scumbag or that they have poor decision making skills .

Absolutely not...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It's not about what the customer wants though is it? It's about what management wants. Personally I couldn't care less how many tattoos are on a barman's arms once he serves me my drinks and gives me my change, but if management have a rule in place that says no tattoos on display and your friend knew this well why would he expect tonight to be an exception?

Even if it is as you say, nothing special just the local, the manager probably has some notion in his head of the image he is trying to portray of the pub and his staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

I was in a situation like this, hiring a truck driver once two guys with similar qualifications both with decent references, one had arm tattoos and one of those stupid hole in his ear things, the other one got tne job

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Im talking about facial tattoos on doctors where one can see them. Would you suggest they wear balaclavas?

Well as has been said (even by myself) some tattoos and piercings are simply not suitable in certain environments, the same can be said about hairstyles and clothing.

You're overblowing the scenario by taking it to an extreme situation involving surgeons and major amounts of facial piercings (which imo, tend to look bad on people).

I -personally- don't think it'd be appropriate to come to most work environments with the amount of piercings in that picture (unless it was a piercing studio), but that wouldn't make me think he was any less of a skilled doctor than someone else.

Opticom wrote: »

Which barman would you choose if you ran a hotel, the one that prefers to keep his tattoo's to himself, or the one that prefers to display them ?

He has no problem keeping his tattoos to himself , and wears the long sleeves without any problem. This was for occasional incidents like warm weather or nights like tonight when all other staff were wearing green polo shirts for the match but he wasn't allowed and went to work wearing his shirt without complaint. It was me who was curious of peoples opinions

It's not about what the customer wants though is it? It's about what management wants. Personally I couldn't care less how many tattoos are on a barman's arms once he serves me my drinks and gives me my change, but if management have a rule in place that says no tattoos on display and your friend knew this well why would he expect tonight to be an exception?

Even if it is as you say, nothing special just the local, the manager probably has some notion in his head of the image he is trying to portray of the pub and his staff.

Exactly, if all other things were equal, like customer service ability etc., which barman would you choose if you ran say a hotel, the one that prefers to keep his tattoo's to himself, or the one that prefers to display them ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    I was in a situation like this, hiring a truck driver once two guys with similar qualifications both with decent references, one had arm tattoos and one of those stupid hole in his ear things, the other one got tne job

Good decision.

What an ass..... Why would you discriminate someone for how they look?
    Maybe I am just terribly open-minded, but i find this really irritating when people do this......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Whitch one was "the other one"? :confused:

Opticom wrote: »

How would you know 'the type'? As I said in another post, I know lawyers and teachers with tattoos done. To see them wandering around town they'd look just like anyone else in the profession. And unless they got the sudden urge to tear off all their clothing and run naked down the street, you'd never know that they have tattoos.

And actually, I grew up greatly involved in the Hotel industry here in Cork and can answer that question honestly.

Given the type, tone and setting of the hotel, the managers of the building did ask that any staff members with tattoos on their arms be kept covered by long sleeve shirts at all times, but were free to walk around the kitchens and other private areas with their sleeves up if they wished.

No staff ever had a problem with this, and in 10+ years I was there, I never ever heard a complaint from it's guests.

I -personally- don't think it'd be appropriate to come to most work environments with the amount of piercings in that picture (unless it was a piercing studio), but that wouldn't make me think he was any less of a skilled doctor than someone else.

On the other hand, if I was being wheeled out on a trolley to an operating theatre and saw a surgeon covered in facial tattoos waiting with a scalpel in hand, I would probably think the guy was experiencing a major mental illness and was in no way fit to do his job. Fair enough if you would let him operate, I think this is something we will not agree on.

• Advertisement

The sociopath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Since when do tattoos and piercings = mental illness? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

The man he found more physically attractive of course :)

BadGirl wrote: »
    What an ass..... Why would you discriminate someone for how they look?
    Maybe I am just terribly open-minded, but i find this really irritating when people do this......

Would you have done a tattoo version of affirmative action?

On the other hand, if I was being wheeled out on a trolley to an operating theatre and saw a surgeon covered in facial tattoos waiting with a scalpel in hand, I would probably think the guy was experiencing a major mental illness and was in no way fit to do his job.

Fair enough.
    But again, that comes more under a management decision and tone of the business at hand.

If I were running said hospital, I would ask that piercings were removed whilst on shift, and tattoos were hidden. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that all hospitals would say the same. As I (and everyone else) have said, it depends on the setting of the business that warrants whether or not piercing/tattoos should be out in the open.

And again, we are only discussing a barman.

Would you have done a tattoo version of affirmative action?

I'm sorry, I don't get what you mean here, maybe you could elaborate a little please?

Fair enough.
    But again, that comes more under a management decision and tone of the business at hand.

If I were running said hospital, I would ask that piercings were removed whilst on shift, and tattoos were hidden. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that all hospitals would say the same. As I (and everyone else) have said, it depends on the setting of the business that warrants whether or not piercing/tattoos should be out in the open.

And again, we are only discussing a barman.

I understand but the purpose of introducing a clinical setting of a hospital is to gauge to the extreme the difference between a bar attempting to be "classy" (btw not my kind of place) and the local down in Finglas. For the former, I would understand the manager's decision.

What you've posted is the very reason why he didn't argue with the manager as he knew this was the policy from day one. He was just telling me that the other staff would be wearing their polo shirts for tonight and he couldn't and it got me thinking about it.

And actually, I grew up greatly involved in the Hotel industry here in Cork and can answer that question honestly.

Given the type, tone and setting of the hotel, the managers of the building did ask that any staff members with tattoos on their arms be kept covered by long sleeve shirts at all times, but were free to walk around the kitchens and other private areas with their sleeves up if they wished.

No staff ever had a problem with this, and in 10+ years I was there, I never ever heard a complaint from it's guests.

Spot on,

So, if their ability was equal, which barman would you choose if you ran a hotel, the one that doesn't mind keeping his tattoo's to himself at work, or the one that prefers to display them ?

• Advertisement

I understand but the purpose of introducing a clinical setting of a hospital is to gauge to the extreme the difference between a bar attempting to be "classy" (btw not my kind of place) and the local down in Finglas. For the former, I would understand the manager's decision.

Well to be fair, the person mention by the OP also agrees with the manager, as do I. I'd say many (if not most) people who have tattoos would agree too.

I happen to have a tattoo on my inner wrist, and having worked in various jobs over the years have only ever had one person notice it while I was actively working, and that was only because I'd had to pull up my sleeve an extra bit because a damned midgie had bitten me :mad:

Advertisement