Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barman with tattoos

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Karen23 wrote: »
    What you've posted is the very reason why he didn't argue with the manager as he knew this was the policy from day one. He was just telling me that the other staff would be wearing their polo shirts for tonight and he couldn't and it got me thinking about it.

I personly would be more offended if a barman was going around in a long sleave shirt. While his co-workers were wearing Ireland jerseys and that it would look stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

I personly would be more offended if a barman was going around in a long sleave shirt. While his co-workers were wearing Ireland jerseys and that it would look stupid.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Since when do tattoos and piercings = mental illness? :confused:
    well it shows poor judgement and an attention seeking nature, so probably more of a mental disorder

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Opticom wrote: »
    Spot on,

So, if their ability was equal, which barman would you choose if you ran a hotel, the one that doesn't mind keeping his tattoo's to himself at work, or the one that prefers to display them ?

In that particular hotel and setting?
    They'd be told that tattoos should be covered (just like my own are) when on shift, and if they're not willing to adhere to that, then they shall have to move on.

However, if it was a standard bar (like An Brog here in Cork), I'd choose the one who was a better barman and better with the customers.

:D

Abit like eating a sangwich while swimming. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    well it shows poor judgement and an attention seeking nature, so probably more of a mental disorder

If anyone here is showing 'poor judgement and attention seeking', it is you.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Oh dear.. *bites lip*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

It's already been posted that this person doesnt have face or neck tattoos or any piercings , tattoos are on both arms ( nothing offensive ) which are normally covered by long sleeves , would you object as a customer to him occasionally wearing short sleeves

Personally, no, I wouldn't.

However, without a doubt, some customers will judge the barman (and the establishment) because of his tattoos.

Look at it from the manager's point of view.

If the barman's tattoos are on display, some customers may take get a bad impression of the bar, and may not return.

If they're not on display, that risk is removed.

Why would the manager unnecessarily take the risk of losing customers? I think he's being quite reasonable here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Opticom

Sonics2k wrote: »
    In that particular hotel and setting?
    They'd be told that tattoos should be covered (just like my own are) when on shift, and if they're not willing to adhere to that, then they shall have to move on.

And thats very similar to what the OP is about, so the barman in the OP was exactly right not to take the chance with his boss by sporting the tattoo’s tonight.
    However, if it was a standard bar (like An Brog here in Cork), I'd choose the one who was a better barman and better with the customers.

Agreed.

And that seems to be what the OP is about, so the barman in the OP was exactly right not to take the chance with his boss by sporting the tattoo’s tonight.

Agreed.

That is basically what I said in my first post on page 1 :P

• Advertisement

"poor judgement" how?

attention seeking nature "how"?

a mental disorder "how"?

Thats just trolling....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,082 ✭✭✭BadGirl

You have just offended me, and probably 50% or more of boardsies.... Such a know-it-all arrogant arsehole to assume that just because i like to express myself by having tattoos that you assume i have a mental illness......

For your information, I work in a customer service role where I am customer facing sometimes, I have never been asked to hide my tattoos and some of my customers have commented on them and asked the story behind them. You are entitled to you opinion of course, but in this day and age, when tattooing and body modification is so popular, I don't think your opinion is very acceptable.

But then, that is just MY opinion of course.... :)

They must have got tired of digging that hole. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

"poor judgement" how?

attention seeking nature "how"?

a mental disorder "how"?

Thats just trolling....

There are genuine reasons for people getting tattoos - cultural, religious, a personal narrative. I imagine the poster is referring to the cohort of those who get tattoos out of impulsiveness, suffering from body dysmorphic disorder, associations with criminal gangs, protestation against society, victims of abuse or those with addictive personality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Motorist, quit the trolling, it's boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Opticom

Pity you veered off on the tangents so

Motorist wrote: »
    There are genuine reasons for people getting tattoos - cultural, religious, a personal narrative. I imagine the poster is referring to the cohort of those who get tattoos out of impulsiveness, suffering from body dysmorphic disorder, associations with criminal gangs, protestation against society, victims of abuse or those with addictive personality.

To be fair, the exact same can be said about clothing and hairstyles.

Pity you veered off on the tangents so

I fail to see how?

I did mention people I know who have tattoos when a previous poster tried claiming that everyone with a tattoo is part of the "scumbag classes", and showed that was not true and just a generally incorrect statement to make.

It was plainly off-topic from the OP's question, but I did return to it further into the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

Although I have tattoos, I agree certain work environments wouldn't suit full sleeves, but I don't see a problem and don't know anyone who would.

I was in a pretty expensive restaurant recently and the head chef had one full sleeve and his surname written vertically on the other, I thought it was a step in the right direction

To be fair, the exact same can be said about clothing and hairstyles.

Yes but if i suddenly decided to wear brightly colored trousers as a statement of my 'individuality' I could take them off after I got over that phase of my life, I wouldn't have permanently branded myself

• Advertisement

Yes but if i suddenly decided to wear brightly colored trousers as a statement of my 'individuality' I could take them off after I got over that phase of my life, I wouldn't have permanently branded myself

Why would it worrie you that someone else has "branded" (as you call it)themself. Not going to affect you, or is it?

Why would it worrie you that someone else has "branded" (as you call it)themself. Not going to affect you, or is it?
    Dosent Worry me in the slightest, it makes Spot the Scumbag a lot easier tho

Really? The why do you clame someone with tattoos is a scumbag?

That is a risk people can take.

I'm quite old-school in how I view tattoos, I personally believe people should put time and thought into what they want to get done, and more importantly, why they want to get it done.

My oldest tattoo is now over 10 years old, and I still absolutely love it. In fact I still like all of the work I've had done, and each one serves as a fantastic reminder for a period of my life.

I'm a snob about it, and I do think people should be more clever when they get work done. As an example, quite recently a friend of my girlfriend showed me two little smiley faces she had done on each of her thumbs, and I honest to god laughed in her face. She's not a scumbag by any means, she just happened to think it was a good idea at the time, and I said it was a bad idea. Hopefully she'll prove me wrong and she'll always love them, but I'm probably right here.

But what bothered me about your post was the sweeping statement and ignorant belief that everyone with a tattoo is a scumbag, because it's just plain nonsense.
    I'm certainly not a scumbag, and if you met me in the street or a bar, you would have no idea that I had tattoos unless I actually showed them to you.

Really? The why do you clame someone with tattoos is a scumbag?
    Because visible tattoos are a trait of scumbags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,082 ✭✭✭BadGirl

Oh, just sod off somewhere with your sweeping generalisations.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Ok :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

No they're not and it's already been proven to you earlier in the thread that having visible tattoos does not make you a scumbag or mean you are a scumbag. There is zero correlation between the two and you haven't given any sort of evidence for your claim except to repeat "tattoo = scumbag".

So can you backup what you're saying or will you admit your argument is crap? And no personal anecdotes about some local scumbag either please. Real evidence that having tattoos (visible or not) means you are a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Can you expand on this
    This was in relation to your not going to a lawyer on the basis of it showing they have a history of bad decisions. Of course, everyone makes bad decisions. And presumably you'd have made a bad decision if you were to need a lawyer. Also the fact that it has been pointed out you wouldn't know a lawyer had a tat or not as they could have one you just couldn't see.
    BadGirl wrote: »
    I hope you are never in a situation where you are judged to be a scumbag or a chav or something else so derogatory, just because of what you wear, what you look like, what car you drive or whatever......
    Sadly, reality is such that presumably everyone here has been judged as one thing or another. Not necessarily a scumbag or chav, but some character trait X has undoubtedly been assumed from attribute/perceived attribute Y.
    You're in an emergency situation to save some of your spinal root nerves. You have just been in a car accident and have about five minutes to decide and give your consent. There is no time to check track record, history, qualifications.
    I give my consent to the surgery, and leave the decision as to who carries it out to one in a better position to assess the qualifications of said surgeons. I am not going to know more about which one is more qualified, and wouldn't have the wisdom/temperance to make such a choice even with far more time.
    Would you have done a tattoo version of affirmative action?
    I think a better approach may be assessing the two as opposed to each other and not have this one factor be a decider. Work ethic would be far more important, for one thing.
    Tats are not my thing, but this says more about you than it does about any person who has a tat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I was in a situation like this, hiring a truck driver once two guys with similar qualifications both with decent references, one had arm tattoos and one of those stupid hole in his ear things, the other one got tne job

Either a troll or just a sad example of how backward Irish society still is in some quarters. Time to catch up with the rest of the world.

Judging someone based solely on a tattoo is cringeworthy (as are the posts of those in this thread doing so). No interest in tattoos myself and think the majority are ill thought out and tacky but that's just my opinion. I'd never judge someone based on that alone and to be honest anyone who does is an arsehole not worth the time of day.

Advertisement