Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barman with tattoos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Leeg17 wrote: »
    Since when do tattoos and piercings = mental illness? :confused:
    well it shows poor judgement and an attention seeking nature, so probably more of a mental disorder

I'll let you know a little about myself.

I work full time as a tour guide in a museum. Previous to this I worked in the civil service. I have a BA behind me and have teaches children aged 5 - 14 theatre and stage performance. When I started I had dreadlocks and I have two visable tattoos on my forearms and alot more around the rest of my body. I don't have the dreadlocks anymore; I cut them off for charity and raised alot of money for it.

In every single job I have had management comment on the high levels I have performed at, parents have commented about how I have gotten their kids out of their shells including one with a serious mental disorder and have constant positive feedback from customers.

Not once have my tattoos come into play in a negative fashion. One employer actually commented that it showed I had self expression which would be a great trait to have for the job.

Now, I find your comment about people with tattoos being "scumbags" more pathetic than offensive to be honest with you, and I think it's disappointing that you would refuse someone a job on this basis alone.

However, your comment that anyone with a tattoo has a mental illness, this I find to be highly offensive and short minded, because I actually do have a mental illness. I'm bipolar. There is an amazingly insightful and powerful thread here in AH where people are very open about depression and other mental illnesses. Comments and thoughts like yours are the very reason why people with these illnesses are afraid to speak out and actually look for help, out of fear that they will be judged for something they do not choose to live with.

I can already hear your defensive, "But people with tattoos choose to do this to themselves" which is true but it does NOT make it a mental illness and by labelling it as one with such a large amount of negativity is alot more damaging than any piece of ink a barman happens to have on his arm.

So next time you decide to post something or open your mouth think about what the hell you are actually saying, because only one person in this thread is coming across as a scumbag, and he/she doesn't hae any tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

well it shows poor judgement and an attention seeking nature, so probably more of a mental disorder
    One could say this about your posting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Motorist wrote: »
    Yeah, sometimes weather reports are wrong too. But given the choice of two orthopedic surgeons to operate on your spinal cord - one with his arms covered in tattoos, and with piercings, the other wearing a suit and looking generally clean cut - it's obvious which one the majority of people would choose.

We should put up a thread poll:

You the choice of two orthopedic surgeons to operate on your spinal cord, which one would you choose?
    1. The one with tattoos
    2. The one with no tattoos who wears a suit
    3. The best one. I don't care if he has tats or not as long as he's good at his job.
    Lets see if you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Some people. Oh no he has tattos, i can't drink here

"I'm a psycho, but I'm afraid of people with tattoos"

Worst. psycho. ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,418 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I remember getting a job in a hotel when I was younger.
    The attire (shirt + black slacks). The shirt was the very same as the eason's bag which everyone always commented on.
    When I mentioned to the manager that I had a tatoo on my arm she said i wasn't a problem if I wore a long sleeved shirt (not available in the eason's bag :D ) at which naturally I was delighted to do.
    The other co-workers would always get mad when I'd slag them about their shirts :D
    Nowadays I'm an Advisor in a multinational company and never found any issues with it and definitely not a scumbag.
    If I had to do it over again though I would definitely have either not got it or in another place not normally visible as I think I am more self conscious of it than other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

"Oh dear, that chap has tattoos, he must be an uneducated scumbag."

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Paparazzo wrote: »
    "I'm a psycho, but I'm afraid of people with tattoos"

Worst. psycho. ever!
    Who said I was afraid of people with tattoos, I just find them unsightly and would have no interest in conversing with some tattooed scumbag. dosent mean I'm afraid of them just that I consider them Untermensch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Who said I was afraid of people with tattoos, I just find them unsightly and would have no interest in conversing with some tattooed scumbag. dosent mean I'm afraid of them just that I consider them Untermensch

Post in this thread again and you'll get banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Raven_Melody

This thread is making me want to break my computer.

It would make no difference to me at all OP, sure I'd probably spend the night trying to catch his eye:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shuridunno

Ah c'mon,

Would you refuse lifesaving treatment from a lifeguard, emt or mountain rescue worker because a tattoo peeped out under their clothes.(All previous jobs I've done)

If so, you should wear a tag that says so, that way, I can leave you to you're own devices if I come across you injured and spend my time patching up a person who isn't so backward.

Regards,
    A. Scumbag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

You the choice of two orthopedic surgeons to operate on your spinal cord, which one would you choose?
    1. The one with tattoos
    3. The best one. I don't care if he has tats or not as long as he's good at his job.

The option of the best one was not available as in the hypothetical scenario presented, it was an emergency spinal operation and no time was available to do background research. A snap judgement was required to choose this guy or this guy to release trapped spinal nerves in order to save bladder and bowel function.

I would choose the latter surgeon. Many on this thread would choose the tattooed guy. For me it would just be an intuitive decision based on what little information is available. Prejudice can operate at an intuitive unconscious level, even in individuals whose conscious attitudes are not prejudiced

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

The option of the best one was not available as in the hypothetical scenario presented, it was an emergency spinal operation and no time was available to do background research. A snap judgement was required to choose this guy or this guy to release trapped spinal nerves in order to save bladder and bowel function.

I would choose the latter surgeon. Many on this thread would choose the tattooed guy. For me it would just be an intuitive decision based on what little information is available. Prejudice can operate at an intuitive unconscious level, even in individuals whose conscious attitudes are not prejudiced

A snap judgement in an emergency? No time for research? I'd choose "It doesn't fcuking matter, just fix me!"

But if the fist guy is a surgeon, surely that means he is quilified to do the job? :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

1. The one with tattoos

Hang on, how come the one with tattoos isn't wearing a suit? You're adding an extra layer to this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

No i dont really agree i think someone with tatoos could be of sound enough judgement and character etc,so i dont think its fair to judge just like that.
    If a barman was serving me and had tatoos i wouldnt mind one bit as long as the price was the average price for a pint and the pint was okay..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shuridunno

In fairness, the first pic is scary, and it wasn't even the tatts that got me, the horns...but I am biased against horns on people...issues with the devil;)

My sister had a spinal tumour and recieved neuro surgery in the Mater last year. The surgeon was great, a bit rough looking and I saw him after work one evening wearing full on biker gear. Not really surgeon like. He did his job, had no visible tattoos but he still nearly killed her....it was his honesty I appreciated, he told us, he was not God and mistakes happen(she bled out on the table and it was the anesthetist that saved her..apparently)

He looked rough, wears biker gear, may have tattoos, but it is him I'II be seeing when my turn is up for a similar op.

Judging by appearence cannot get you anywhere. Unless of course you're biased against human horns:p

Hang on, how come the one with tattoos isn't wearing a suit? You're adding an extra layer to this.

The one with tattoos is naked, rubbing pigs blood onto his erect penis.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A snap judgement was required to choose this guy or this guy to release trapped spinal nerves in order to save bladder and bowel function.
    I'd pick the one that was more qualified, and had a better success rate.

Quick question: would you pick the black surgeon, or the white surgeon?

the_syco wrote: »
    I'd pick the one that was more qualified, and had a better success rate.

Quick question: would you pick the black surgeon, or the white surgeon?

I'd say it doesn't matter and if I had to choose, I'd just flip a coin.

• Advertisement

shuridunno wrote: »
    In fairness, the first pic is scary, and it wasn't even the tatts that got me, the horns...but I am biased against horns on people...issues with the devil;)

My sister had a spinal tumour and recieved neuro surgery in the Mater last year. The surgeon was great, a bit rough looking and I saw him after work one evening wearing full on biker gear. Not really surgeon like. He did his job, had no visible tattoos but he still nearly killed her....it was his honesty I appreciated, he told us, he was not God and mistakes happen(she bled out on the table and it was the anesthetist that saved her..apparently)

He looked rough, wears biker gear, may have tattoos, but it is him I'II be seeing when my turn is up for a similar op.

Judging by appearence cannot get you anywhere. Unless of course you're biased against human horns:p

So you spend a whole post arguing about not judging people on appearances. Yet you have a bias against people with horns :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭zega

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest if a barman had tatts.It's 2012 for god's sake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Opticom

zega wrote: »
    Wouldn't bother me in the slightest if a barman had titts.It's 2012 for god's sake!

FYP, makes it much more intresting. :D

Opticom wrote: »
    FYP, makes it much more intresting. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Opticom

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Wouldn't bother me, practically all of my friends have tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

A barman with tattoos wearing short sleeves would change my impression of the member of staff, insofar as I would be 63% more likely to ride them...

Opticom wrote: »
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:TAKE THAT! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: AND THAT! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: AND THAT!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Because she/he is wearing surgical scrubs not poncing about in a suit when they are meant to be on surgical call in an ER?

Advertisement