Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barman with tattoos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I could sort of understand if it was the bar in the Shelbourne or something but how classy can a place that lets its staff wear soccer jerseys be?

This - hilarious!

But it wouldn't bother me either way. Plenty of bars cultivate the tattooed bar people look, and it works.

Long as they are good at their job, I wouldn't care either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Tools who cover themselves in tattoos deserve all the flak they get, imo a bar an with visible tattoos covering his arms would lower the tone of an establishment, if I was presented with that I would consider the bar a ****hole for future reference, there's plenty of people out the who the management can hire that haven't idiotiicly branded themselves as one of the scumbag classes

See, now this is just a plain retarded point of view.

Millions of people world-wide have tattoos all over their bodies, and yet you are associating them with scumbags.

I personally know three lawyers, four doctors (one is a GP), a teacher, a principal, and even a theatre nurse who have full sleeve tattoos, and even body tattoos done too. One of them even has two genital piercings. If you didn't know they had the work done, you would never associate them with scumbag classes.

Why, even my own mother, who is currently finishing her PhD at UCC, has two degrees in Fine Art, and has been published several times in a number of History based magazines and has been on TG4 and BBC several times, has seven tattoos done. None of which are openly visible. Again, there is no way she could be called a scumbag. She's probably the exact opposite of such.

Yes, there are (unfortunately) many people with some god awful tattoos done, and they are often scumbags, but it's plainly wrong and stupid to claim that all people with tattoos are scumbags, especially given the thousands of years of history behind tattoo art and cultural meanings.

Why, even King Edward VII had some amazing tattoos all over his body. Hardly what we'd call a "scumbag class" now, is he?

/back on-topic @OP
    I suppose it would greatly depend on the style of the bar. As an example there are two bars here in Cork which I visit quite often. An Bróg and The Bodega.
    In the Bróg, I don't think anyone would even hesitate at seeing a barman with a few or loads of tattoos on them, but some customers may feel differently at seeing a barman in the Bodega with the same work done. If only because they are two very different bars with a different atmosphere and customer base.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

Karen23 wrote: »
    A friend of mine has both his arms tattooed ( full sleeves ) and works as a barman. He started a new job and was told t shirts , polo shirts or long / short sleeved shirts were allowed to be worn. He informed the manger about his tattoos and was told he would only be allowed to wear long sleeves as the manager didn't think tattoos gave the right impression to customers.

He has stuck to this rule even when its been really hot and a t shirt would be more suitable but tonight the staff have been told they can wear Ireland jerseys or t shirts for the match. He has all the Ireland jerseys and tops but all short sleeves so unless he's prepared to go and buy a long sleeved jersey he has to wear a regular shirt.

My question is , would a barman with tattoos wearing short sleeves put you off the pub or change your impression of the member of staff. I know tattoos are a personal thing and everyone has their own thoughts on them but seeing as he has been working there for over a year and all the regular customers would know him very well.
    Jaysus get a life will you FFS !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭FullRetard

Yeah it would alter my opinion, I would make the snap judgement that tattoos = scumbag
    you dont have very good judgement then..I probably wouldnt drink were you drink,not because the the bar men/women didnt have tats but because the place is full of tools

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

A friend of mine has both his arms tattooed ( full sleeves ) and works as a barman. He started a new job and was told t shirts , polo shirts or long / short sleeved shirts were allowed to be worn. He informed the manger about his tattoos and was told he would only be allowed to wear long sleeves as the manager didn't think tattoos gave the right impression to customers.

He has stuck to this rule even when its been really hot and a t shirt would be more suitable but tonight the staff have been told they can wear Ireland jerseys or t shirts for the match. He has all the Ireland jerseys and tops but all short sleeves so unless he's prepared to go and buy a long sleeved jersey he has to wear a regular shirt.

My question is , would a barman with tattoos wearing short sleeves put you off the pub or change your impression of the member of staff. I know tattoos are a personal thing and everyone has their own thoughts on them but seeing as he has been working there for over a year and all the regular customers would know him very well.
    four18 wrote: »
    Jaysus get a life will you FFS !

Something wrong with looking for a customers opinion on the people that serve them ??

• Advertisement

Yeah it would alter my opinion, I would make the snap judgement that tattoos = scumbag

David Beckham OBE , captained his country 108 times , first British player to play 100 Champions League matches , twice runner up FIFA player of the year , highest player salary in US league history , Unicef Goodwill ambassador , numerous other honours , multi millionaire. Ah yes I can see how your theory works :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

So he gets loads of money to kick a football round the place, whoopdedoo, he still looks like a scumbag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭FullRetard

So he gets loads of money to kick a football round the place, whoopdedoo, he still looks like a scumbag
    he'd probably get payed less to kick some sense into you:pac:

I don't think he'd have been given an OBE or be a Unicef Goodwill Ambassador if he was a scumbag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

David Beckham OBE , captained his country 108 times , first British player to play 100 Champions League matches , twice runner up FIFA player of the year , highest player salary in US league history , Unicef Goodwill ambassador , numerous other honours , multi millionaire. Ah yes I can see how your theory works :rolleyes:

I think Beckham looks like one of the biggest scumbags ever!

• Advertisement

Proving the point that just because people think you look like an scumbag doesn't make you one.

Proving the point that just because people think you look like an scumbag doesn't make you one.

Don't know the man personally but he certainly doesn't come across as polished or refined when listening to him speak!

Not a Beckham supporter myself but you don't end up where he is today without having some intelligence.

I'd rather be more open minded and base my opinion on the person rather than the fact they have tattoos or how they speak.

Not a Beckham supporter myself but you don't end up where he is today without having some intelligence.

I'd rather be more open minded and base my opinion on the person rather than the fact they have tattoos or how they speak.

My IMPRESSION of him (which I am entitled to...we all have impressions of people!!) is that he looks like a scumbag! His tattoos/hairstyles etc. do nothing to abate that impression!

Impressions and opinions of people can be wrong , I've had impressions of people in the past and they turn out to be completely different once you get to know them.

Impressions and opinions of people can be wrong , I've had impressions of people in the past and they turn out to be completely different once you get to know them.

That is true!

But it's unlikely I will ever get to know David Beckham so I will just have to stick with my impressions of him that I have formed from watching and listening to him on tv/newspapers/advertisements. My impression of David Beckham is that he is a chav. A wealthy one at that but in my opinion he doesn't have much class (off the pitch I mean!).

Maybe if I ever meet the man that perception will change.

Yeah but this thread is about impressions.

We're not going to have deep conversations with the bsrman we're going to judge him based on the brief encounter at the bar, if he's covered in tattoos that will shape my opinion to the conclusion Scumbag

We're not going to have deep conversations with the bsrman we're going to judge him based on the brief encounter at the bar, if he's covered in tattoos that will shape my opinion to the conclusion Scumbag

And thus ignoring my last post to keep a small minded, irrational and illogical view.

Yes and my original question was would a barman with tattoos wearing short sleeves put you off the pub or change your impression of the member of staff , for you Tzar Chasm it obviously would and that's fine.

Just for the record I've come across plenty of scumbags with no tattoos , you should watch out for them because you wont know them from the tattooed ones. At least the ones with the tattoos are giving you the heads up :)

Sonics2k wrote: »

And thus ignoring my last post to keep a small minded, irrational and illogical view.

Ok, in addressing your point I would not be comfortable being represented by a lawyer with tattoos, it shows they have a history of bad decisions, same for gp's in the case of your mammy if i saw her giving a lecture with visible tattoos i'd maybe form the opinion of scumbag done good, but i doubt i'd be interested in sitting down for tea wit her

• Advertisement

Ok, in addressing your point I would not be comfortable being represented by a lawyer with tattoos, it shows they have a history of bad decisions, same for gp's in the case of your mammy if i saw her giving a lecture with visible tattoos i'd maybe form the opinion of scumbag done good, but i doubt i'd be interested in sitting down for tea wit her

And what if the tattoos weren't visible?

As I said, all these people have keep their tattoos hidden at work. They would look absolutely no different to any other person walking around.

That's a shame because I'm sure in the past you've written off the chance to get to know some really nice , interesting people just because they chose to have tattoos.

He works in this job and staff and customers like him without knowing about his tattoos because he wears long sleeves. If you knew him in this way too then discovered he had tattoos would you change your opinion and think I used to like him but now I think he's a scumbag now even though nothing about his personality or behaviour had changed.

How can you change your opinion of someone so easily even though they are still the same person you knew. Ok I can understand if you liked someone and then found out they had a serious criminal conviction or something that would change your opinion , but seriously for having tattoos that they keep hidden while in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

Tools who cover themselves in tattoos deserve all the flak they get, imo a bar an with visible tattoos covering his arms would lower the tone of an establishment, if I was presented with that I would consider the bar a ****hole for future reference, there's plenty of people out the who the management can hire that haven't idiotiicly branded themselves as one of the scumbag classes

The manager personally doesn't like tattoos , both of them knew the story from day one and the manager hired him anyway because he had worked with him before so he knew he was good at his job regardless of his tattoos. Can you honestly say everyone with a tattoo is a scumbags , I think that's a harsh comment to make about someone that you don't even know.

He works in this job and staff and customers like him without knowing about his tattoos because he wears long sleeves. If you knew him in this way too then discovered he had tattoos would you change your opinion and think I used to like him but now I think he's a scumbag now even though nothing about his personality or behaviour had changed.

Wow didn't know David beckham was a scumbag ?
    Where's this bar you speak of I like a man with tats ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

I'd be offended if he had tattooed A.C.A.B. (All Customers Are B@st@rds) . Just saying...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

Sonics2k wrote: »

Genuinely feel sorry that you have such a narrow minded view of the world did it ever strike you that some of the biggest scumbags wear suits and have decent haircuts ? Must be weird to judge a book by it's cover I for one have a more mature approach to humankind makes for a more interesting and varied life !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Opticom

Can you honestly say everyone with a tattoo is a scumbags

No, I don't use that as a measure, but in my own personal experience, incidentally or not, most of them (but not all of them) have turned out to be one.
    catthinkin wrote: »
    some of the biggest scumbags wear suits and have decent haircuts ?

Also true in my personal experience, especially in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shuridunno

I have wrist tatts and work in pharmacy retail, I have to wear a wide strapped watch and bracelets to cover them. I would have more on my inner arm but I know it would not be worth the hassle of covering them up.

Some jobs just don't lend well to body art, most of my back is covered in ink but at least I don't have to show it.

I would have thought bar work was a job it was exceptbale in.

In my opinion Bertie Ahearn and his fat cat bankers and politicians with their fancy suits and post accents are bigger scumbags than any barman I know

• Advertisement

shuridunno wrote: »

I would have thought bar work was a job it was exceptbale in.

He knew himself when taking the job and I wasnt surprised when he said he had to wear long sleeves to work but I had thought maybe after working there for a while , showing he was good worker and popular with customers that he would have proved he wasnt a scumbag and maybe management would have become a bit more lenient , not for every shift but on occasions like tonight for the match. But it wasn't to be and like I said previously he doesn't have a problem with this , he knew the managers point of view and just wondered about the customers side.

Advertisement