Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Antivirus / Antimalware Recommendation Thread (May 2011)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Davidbln

ESET NOD + MBAM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ICCM

I find that f-secure is better than mcafee or norton IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 skiver1

thanks guys, anyone use ea origin with these packages?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Panda Internet Security - Main PC
    Microsft Security Essentials - Laptop and Netbook

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

I've a new computer. Dell. Uninstalled Norton. Installed MSE. I do a lot of online surfing. What else should I be using?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I've a new computer. Dell. Uninstalled Norton. Installed MSE. I do a lot of online surfing. What else should I be using?

That should be sufficient. Also you don't need to run daily or weekly virus scans, for those having issues with virus scanners slowing down machines during scanning (which is an obvious side effect, as if a hard disk is being accessed non stop the system will be less responsive). Just make sure real time protection is enabled, keep browser plugins up to date (flash, java, silverlight, adobe reader etc.) and keep Windows up to date

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

yoyo wrote: »
    That should be sufficient. Also you don't need to run daily or weekly virus scans, for those having issues with virus scanners slowing down machines during scanning (which is an obvious side effect, as if a hard disk is being accessed non stop the system will be less responsive). Just make sure real time protection is enabled, keep browser plugins up to date (flash, java, silverlight, adobe reader etc.) and keep Windows up to date

Nick
    So no separate malware/spyware programme at all? In the past I've always used both antiv -antispy/malware but am out of touch with what to use now.

One thing about MSE, I've literally never detected anything with it, which rather than offering comfort leaves me suspicious that it's not picking stuff up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

So no separate malware/spyware programme at all? In the past I've always used both antiv -antispy/malware but am out of touch with what to use now.

One thing about MSE, I've literally never detected anything with it, which rather than offering comfort leaves me suspicious that it's not picking stuff up.

Norton will detect "Tracking Cookies" and terrify you they are dodgy, when in fact they arn't. They arn't items you want or need, but are no where near the scale of virus/malware (they will get removed after a simple CCleaner scan). Also you can install as many anti spyware apps as you like, malwarebytes, super antispyware etc but tbh they are only really needed if an infection slips in. But MSE will cover you. Like any anti virus, they can only detect what they know, viruses will slip through all brands at some point, which is why vigilance with email attachments, not clicking on dodgy web ads etc is neccesary

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Make sure you enable "Sacn removable drives" under settings, advanced. I find this is were alot of peoples infections occur. Sharing thumb drives without scanning is not a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tombre

Ok, my experience. Microsoft Security Essentials is probably the best free anti-virus, fits like a glove on windows platform (obviously), not too large and definitely not too demanding on resources. Norton and the like uses serious resources thus slowing your PC. CCleaner from www.piriform.com is an excellent cleaner of old windows files and a damn good registry cleaner.
    If spyware is required, super anti spyware is very reliable, and good.
    By the way, all the above are free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Markgc

Hello
    I have a Trojan horse Hider.RXX c:\windows\system3...

AVG can't remove it as object inaccessible

Is this a major threat and how do I remove it?

Also AVG removed a root kit earlier after I turned on the computer.
    It deleted two files and one registery key...

usbhc.sys
    1JFUWEIE.EXE

and key =hkey_local_machine\szstem\currentcontrolset\services\usbhc

(Was a IDP.Hacktool.6A318182 severity level '4 x red boxes')

Any suggestions would be great thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Get AVG boot, just type into google, you download it and you can then boot it from a Cd or USB and it will get anything that's nasty on your Pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

AV-Comparatives have released the results of their latest performance test.

1Rlu9.jpg

Note: This is not about efficiency, they have only tested the impact of the respective software on the system resources and overall performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Irishrebelsc

I've used a few. I would say Microsoft Security Essentials is my favourite, simply because it is not intrusive on the system, it works lightly and promptly. Not a lot of false positives, in fact hardly any unlike other av's. It's totally free. There is no free version or paid version, but one totally free security av.
    The other one I like is Avast free. Avast has a lot of extra features like boot scan etc, site blocking, cloud technology etc. However, they have a paid version so are you getting their full protection?
    Microsoft Security Essentials is the best choice in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Irishrebelsc

MSE I have never had any problems with, and it has stopped malware for me in the past. And to be sure it was working, I did further scans with other scanners and computer was clean. MSE did it's job

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

I use mcafee

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

johny wrote: »
    I have used no. of antivirus but all have few advantages and few disadvantages. But by using Reghunter Tool , i am satisfied as it is one of the best antimalware, antispyware, antivirus tool including all features at low price. Try the trial one

You take credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Ive just bought a new laptop for the house (running windows 8) and went about downloading Microsoft Security Essentials for it today.

The Microsoft website is telling me I dont need to download MSE for windows 8 because Ive windows defender in Windows 8
    Windows 8 comes with Windows Defender, which has been improved in Windows 8 to provide the same level of malware protection as Microsoft Security Essentials

Can anyone clarify? Do i need to install anything so? Have always used MSE (thanks to this forum) without issue along with malbytes occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

SeaFields wrote: »
    Ive just bought a new laptop for the house (running windows 8) and went about downloading Microsoft Security Essentials for it today.

The Microsoft website is telling me I dont need to download MSE for windows 8 because Ive windows defender in Windows 8

Can anyone clarify? Do i need to install anything so? Have always used MSE (thanks to this forum) without issue along with malbytes occasionally.

Ya its defender for windows 8 & it just needs to be activated. I saw your post because i came here to find info about using something other than defender! Its been annoying me the last while because it won't update automatically. Its tied to windows update & I've a common problem with windows update not working & needing to run the troubleshooter to fix every time. Which means i need to manually run that then manually updated defender every few days.

I had been using Nod32 for the last few years but switched to defender when i decided it was to much money to be paying. Any suggestions out there? I liked nod32 a lot, its purely the cost putting me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

I use avg alone, I might switch to MSE do you need an anti malware along with that ? I got malware bytes today and ran a scan and got 180 threats found but very annoying that I cant erase all but one by one ill never do that.

• Advertisement

I use avg alone, I might switch to MSE do you need an anti malware along with that ? I got malware bytes today and ran a scan and got 180 threats found but very annoying that I cant erase all but one by one ill never do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

malwarebytes should allow you to remove them all at once. Its a great program

jsa112 wrote: »
    malwarebytes should allow you to remove them all at once. Its a great program

Nope it dosent, and for that reason alone I would call it ****e piece of software. I have lso many things to delete ill never do them one by one, shocking that theres no "select all" option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Nope it dosent, and for that reason alone I would call it ****e piece of software. I have lso many things to delete ill never do them one by one, shocking that theres no "select all" option

That button used to be there by default, it's now hidden in the settings. ;)

How to select all "PUPS" in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware automatically:

Torqay wrote: »
    That button used to be there by default, it's now hidden in the settings. ;)

How to select all "PUPS" in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware automatically:

[/quo

Thank you sir :)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Citygirl1

Hi

I'm currently looking at buying a new laptop. I think I've decided on the right one, ASUS X550C, with Windows 8. Just looking into Anti-Virus before making the purchase.

The salesguy in PC World confirmed that the laptop doesn't come with any antivirus (eg. Norton, McAfee) pre-installed. The are selling McAfee for €29.99 with a laptop.

I would prefer to go with Avast. However, my worry was that in order to install this software, I'd need to log on the internet, so would initally be going online with a brand new laptop with no antivirus of any sort.

However, from reading here, it seems that Windows 8 PCs do come with Windows Defender pre-installed. So, do you know if this is the case for all Windows 8 laptops?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

I would prefer to go with Avast. However, my worry was that in order to install this software, I'd need to log on the internet, so would initally be going online with a brand new laptop with no antivirus of any sort.
    Don't waste your time or money with mcafee. You don't need to worry bout getting the PC infected by not having an anti-virus preinstalled before you go online

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone else having trouble downloading AVF 2014?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

Hi,
    I keep receiving the message "openvpntray.exe has stopped working". How do I resolve this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Norton sub up soon

Any free Anti virus going around? checked out AVG free (and the full one is €49.96) do I need to spend €50.00 on this or...?
    TIA

Advertisement