Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Antivirus / Antimalware Recommendation Thread (May 2011)

124

Comments



  • vicwatson wrote: »
    Norton sub up soon

    Any free Anti virus going around? checked out AVG free (and the full one is €49.96) do I need to spend €50.00 on this or...?
    TIA
    plenty, more than you can use, my preference is forti client, check out cnet.com,tucows.com, majorgeeks.com,




  • flutered wrote: »
    plenty, more than you can use, my preference is forti client, check out cnet.com,tucows.com, majorgeeks.com,


    Are all fairly much recommended by boardsies?

    I noticed when I had Norton I got very little spam, then with the free trial of AVG I noticed that I was getting some spam...

    Anti V up tomorrow so any top recommendations for free cover would be much appreciated.

    TIA




  • Very interesting thread on Antivirus and Antimalware software. I have been computing for quite awhile now, I am not an expert! I was happy to go along with pre-installed Window`s software, Security Essentials and Window`s Defender. Now both of these are in my opinion, unique, in that they never find anything malevolent. Many moons ago, lacking knowledge, I clicked on a link that took me to a very generous website. My computer was freely given all the viruses and malware that it could hold. After 4 hours of head scratching I swallowed my pride and rang Microsoft. A "techy" took control of my PC, he advised me to go on a coffee break, I stayed watching. I wondered what I was doing wrong with my pre-installed software. Much to my surprise, this guy did no use any Microsoft antivirus products. He used Malware Bytes and another piece of software called Hitman Pro. These 2 removed everything in less than 30 minutes and I marvelled. Why did he not use a Microsoft product? why did he use these particular two? To me it was a damming indictment of Microsoft`s wares. Since then, I have been using Malwarebytes Pro and Hitman Pro. A once of payment of 25 Euro for lifetime use of the former and about 20 Euro per year for the latter. In my opinion, I have the best protection available, then again, it is only an opinion.




  • Bit Defender + Malwarebytes.

    Thou shall not pass!




  • I have been using McAfee for years, but tht is about to change. I am disgusted with their service. Last year I had a problem that my laptop was getting very slow, and I suspected that i had some malware on the system. I contacted them, and was convinced to buy another program to sort out the problem - which it didn't. A few weeks ago our service provider contacted us to let us know we had a virus, I checked with McAfee, and they assured me that a full scan would sort out the virus, well it seems it didn't. programs started crashing, I contacted them 3x, now they tell me I need to buy another one of their products to get rid of a virus which their virus protection is suposed to protect me against.
    Is there anything anyone can recommend because I am definitely not using McAffee ever again, and I would warn everyone else to stay away from them.


  • Advertisement


  • kig wrote: »
    I have been using McAfee for years, but tht is about to change. I am disgusted with their service. Last year I had a problem that my laptop was getting very slow, and I suspected that i had some malware on the system. I contacted them, and was convinced to buy another program to sort out the problem - which it didn't. A few weeks ago our service provider contacted us to let us know we had a virus, I checked with McAfee, and they assured me that a full scan would sort out the virus, well it seems it didn't. programs started crashing, I contacted them 3x, now they tell me I need to buy another one of their products to get rid of a virus which their virus protection is suposed to protect me against.
    Is there anything anyone can recommend because I am definitely not using McAffee ever again, and I would warn everyone else to stay away from them.
    amiti antivirus works beautiful for me, btw i use the free version, add malware bytes and superanti spyware, oh yeah private firewall compleates my line up.btw you will need to download a program to remove the mcafee schite, google is your buddy here,




  • Thanks flutered,
    I'll try to get all that set up, it's only when you have a problem that you realise how useless McAfee is, they have been frustrating me for a while now.




  • kig wrote: »
    Thanks flutered,
    I'll try to get all that set up, it's only when you have a problem that you realise how useless McAfee is,

    watch the superantispyware, they asked me to try the pro version, it eats memory on my old dell, i cannot use the internet while it runs, i am changing back this evening to the free one.




  • Quick question - I have malwarebytes installed. Do I need to install another software for antivirus?




  • yes, malwarebytes isn't an anti-virus


  • Advertisement


  • Reasons of Choosing Malwarebytes:

    It detects and removes malware that your antivirus is not able to.
    It prevents access to known malicious websites.
    It provides real-time protection against malware.
    It removes rootkits and fixes the files have been damaged.
    It scans quickly by only seeking for active threats.
    It enables you to schedule automatic scans and database updates.
    It prevents malware from disabling itself or modifying its processes.
    It employs industry-leading technology to remove malware code.




  • an update from me, i have started using a different antivirus it is of chinese origion called Biadu, they also have a web browser, the browser is fast, it has a built in downloader, i download from a torrent at times, stuff for android, the antivirus picks up the adware and quarantines it immediatly, the antivirus has a built in cleaner, which if ran daily is very effective, my two cents folks




  • Had my laptop in for repair as it was infected and the guy in the store installed avast free anti virus, I assumed it was free but noticed it telling me I have x number of days left and need to register.

    Does this mean I have to pay for the service when I register?




  • I have Microsoft Security Essentials (Win 7) and i also run Spybot S&D.

    I take it MSE handles the virus side of things where as Spybot Search & Destroy handles the malware side of things?

    Would i better off replacing spybot with malwarebytes? is spybot old hat now - i dont see anyone on here mentioning it anymore?




  • get malwarebytes its far better




  • What is best free antivirus




  • JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What is best free antivirus

    Microsoft Security Essentials.

    If you cannot get it, try Avira. www.free-av.com.




  • Microsoft Security Essentials.

    If you cannot get it, try Avira. www.free-av.com.

    I was using MSE and it seemed to be working fine until recently where it won't download updates.
    It says something about a connection issue but the pc is connected to the internet and everything else is working fine.
    I've tried reinstalling it several times but no luck.

    Windows Defender will not downloads updates either and says it's a connection issue too.

    I've uninstalled MSE and installed Avast which is doing a Boot Scan at the moment. It's taking ages.




  • I was using MSE and it seemed to be working fine until recently where it won't download updates.
    It says something about a connection issue but the pc is connected to the internet and everything else is working fine.
    I've tried reinstalling it several times but no luck.

    Windows Defender will not downloads updates either and says it's a connection issue too.

    I've uninstalled MSE and installed Avast which is doing a Boot Scan at the moment. It's taking ages.
    it appears you got a bug, see if you can start it in safe mode with networking, download and run malware bytes, then do as it says, shut down the pc and re start, see if mse will up date, get rid of avast, then download and run 360 security, that will keep you safe as you can run it with mse, which in my opinion is nearly useless, download and run lava soft, that will alert you as regards any funny buisness




  • flutered wrote: »
    it appears you got a bug, see if you can start it in safe mode with networking, download and run malware bytes, then do as it says, shut down the pc and re start, see if mse will up date, get rid of avast, then download and run 360 security, that will keep you safe as you can run it with mse, which in my opinion is nearly useless, download and run lava soft, that will alert you as regards any funny buisness

    I wouldn't bother paying for 360 security. I've been well served by Avast for the last 8 years or so, never had a problem. Don't use MSE (POS).

    +1 on Malwarebytes though.


  • Advertisement


  • MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother paying for 360 security. I've been well served by Avast for the last 8 years or so, never had a problem. Don't use MSE (POS).

    +1 on Malwarebytes though.
    360 is free and takes up little room




  • flutered wrote: »
    360 is free and takes up little room

    Apologies. I thought you were referring to Norton 360. I was unaware of 360 security. :o

    I must take a look for myself.:)

    Thank you.




  • October 2016.. suggestions please for free anti-virus. I've been using avast for about 2 years or so and have been pretty happy with the anti-virus aspect. But not happy that it has installed the web browser and VPN on my laptop without being informed. Sorta seems like the opposite of what an anti-virus should be doing.

    Some googling suggests Avira. Good choice?




  • pajor wrote: »
    October 2016.. suggestions please for free anti-virus. I've been using avast for about 2 years or so and have been pretty happy with the anti-virus aspect. But not happy that it has installed the web browser and VPN on my laptop without being informed. Sorta seems like the opposite of what an anti-virus should be doing.

    Some googling suggests Avira. Good choice?

    With Avast, always select the custom install options and unselect all the bloat crap.




  • With Avast, always select the custom install options and unselect all the bloat crap.

    They just installed by themselves, not when putting it on my laptop. But I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. Just got rid of a few things from avast in Programs and Features. Might just stick with avast for another while so.




  • i am using 360 anti virus, its working fine, you need a little other ammunition also, i cannot praise priviza enough, get the paid version, €6 is the minimun fee, i run it daily,adw is another i run weekly, also malware bytes and anti malware are others, common sense is the best out there, many seem to forget that




  • pajor wrote: »
    They just installed by themselves, not when putting it on my laptop. But I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. Just got rid of a few things from avast in Programs and Features. Might just stick with avast for another while so.

    If you did a "Program upgrade", it probably didn't give you the option of the custom install. On my main PC I had some issues with the program upgrade with Avast in the past, so I tend to download the latest version, uninstall the old and install the new. It's a little awkward, but I'm used to Avast at this point and it's as good as any others out there.




  • Malwarebytes should allow you to remove them all at once.Its a great program.

    Is there any longer a free version of this software?




  • seligehgit wrote: »
    Malwarebytes should allow you to remove them all at once.Its a great program.

    Is there any longer a free version of this software?

    Yes?
    https://www.malwarebytes.com/trial/#trial


  • Advertisement


  • MOH wrote: »

    No that does'nt appear to be free.Trial,licence....


Advertisement