Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

Antivirus / Antimalware Recommendation Thread (May 2011)

245

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭ Kristopherus


    +1 for Microsoft Security Essentials. Have it on 3 machines. Cannot be beaten.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭ yellowlabrador


    I've got a 6 year old desktop with only 256 ram, I find microsoft essentials and avg make my computer really slow and virtually unusable. Avast is resource friendly and has picked up several threats over the past few months.
    I also use ccleaner and malwarebites.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭ BenEadir


    Thanks Cookie, are Malwarebytes and Super Anti Spyware doing the same job so it's a case of running one or the other not both?

    Ben


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭ Kristopherus


    You should not have 2 anti-virus systems running on the same computer. They will conflict.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭ cookie1977


    Both do the same job but I just prefer malwarebytes. I have used but no longer use superantispyware. But it's fine.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭ Tomk1


    JDxtra wrote: »
    Microsoft Security Essentials.
    +1


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭ uch


    is there such a thing as decent but FREE anti-virus software available anywhere?

    thanks!!:)

    If you looked down the forum about 10 threads you will see there is already a thread about this, saves starting a new one.

    20/25



  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭ BenEadir


    Thanks Cookie, MSE + Malwarebytes + common sense should see me ok. Appreciate the help.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭ Blake Salmon Shoplifter


    I know this is an old thread but can anyone tell me if the free Avast is enough to protect my computer on it's own or do I need to download additional spyware/firewall etc? Thanks :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭ LostBoy101


    I know this is an old thread but can anyone tell me if the free Avast is enough to protect my computer on it's own or do I need to download additional spyware/firewall etc? Thanks :D
    At the moment I have Microsoft Security Essentials because Microsoft know their system and it was recommended to me by a retailer in Computers Works in Drumcondra, Dublin.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭ Dad11


    McAFEE


  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭ CyberJuice


    hi all

    ive been using mcaffee over a year but it expired so i downloaded a trial of avg2012. its only a 1 month free trial and it expires in 5 days.. i have no money at the moment and ill only have my pc for another 3 months at most so it would be a waste to buy a 1 year subscription to a virus protection..

    can someone recomend a decent free virus scan/firewall/ virus protection for me?? even a paid one that wil give me a free month or two trial would be fine for the moment


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,367 ✭✭✭✭ vicwatson


    Need a new sub for 3 pcs.

    Have Norton. Had no probs with it over last 3 years. Myself and 2 family members used the 3 year/3 pc subscription.

    Anyone know where the cheapest place is to buy a new sub?

    On Norton website they want usd 60.00 for 3 subs for one year for Norton 360.

    I've heard there is free software from AVG??? Should i download this?

    Will it automatically take Norton off my pc or...?

    I like what i like and would prob prefer just to get the cheapest Norton 360 3 year for 3 pcs available

    Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

    Thanks in advance


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭ batistuta9


    CyberJuice wrote: »
    hi all

    ive been using mcaffee over a year but it expired so i downloaded a trial of avg2012. its only a 1 month free trial and it expires in 5 days.. i have no money at the moment and ill only have my pc for another 3 months at most so it would be a waste to buy a 1 year subscription to a virus protection..

    can someone recomend a decent free virus scan/firewall/ virus protection for me?? even a paid one that wil give me a free month or two trial would be fine for the moment

    try avast for the AV & malwarebytes, incase anything gets by the AV run it around once a week

    both free versions should be grand
    vicwatson wrote: »
    Need a new sub for 3 pcs.

    Have Norton. Had no probs with it over last 3 years. Myself and 2 family members used the 3 year/3 pc subscription.

    Anyone know where the cheapest place is to buy a new sub?

    On Norton website they want usd 60.00 for 3 subs for one year for Norton 360.

    I've heard there is free software from AVG??? Should i download this?

    Will it automatically take Norton off my pc or...?

    I like what i like and would prob prefer just to get the cheapest Norton 360 3 year for 3 pcs available

    Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

    Thanks in advance

    there's a load of free AV software other than AVG you know, see above. i don't like AVG so don't use it so can't tell you to download it.

    but i've always used free AV software and it does the job, i wouldn't be overly concerned that if something is free - therefore it's no good

    you'd need to manual remove norton before installing the other AV, or at least have it switched off then remove it

    if you want to keep norton, try amazon maybe for a better price


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,367 ✭✭✭✭ vicwatson


    I'm thinking on going on either the Avast or AVG (as they are considerably cheaper than Norton) route.

    Are there any cons to my thinking (apart from the fact I think I'm getting more by buying it?), am I actually getting more by buying it?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭ cookie1977


    vicwatson wrote: »
    I'm thinking on going on either the Avast or AVG (as they are considerably cheaper than Norton) route.

    Are there any cons to my thinking (apart from the fact I think I'm getting more by buying it?), am I actually getting more by buying it?

    I don't think there's any benefit to buying an av program when Microsoft Security Essentials is available. It's a great AV program.


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,367 ✭✭✭✭ vicwatson


    cookie1977 wrote: »
    I don't think there's any benefit to buying an av program when Microsoft Security Essentials is available. It's a great AV program.


    I tried to find that today online but couldn't get a definitive link, can you possibly provide for me? Thanks


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭ LostBoy101


    vicwatson wrote: »
    I tried to find that today online but couldn't get a definitive link, can you possibly provide for me? Thanks
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/products/security-essentials
    Enjoy :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,367 ✭✭✭✭ vicwatson


    LostBoy101 wrote: »


    Thanks.

    Do I need to remove Norton first or will this overwrite/take off Norton for me?

    Thanks


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭ cookie1977


    Yes, uninstall norton. You may need the norton removal tool. Google it.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭ flutered


    mse left me down badly two weeks ago, which led to quite a bit of grief, i got a trial of norton from a guy, it showed me where the trouble was within 10 seconds.


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,367 ✭✭✭✭ vicwatson


    I'd rather pay Avast or AVG of I was going to pay anyone as Norton are pure robbers, Stg 109 for 3 pc 2 year subscription on the GB website.

    Go to the Irish website and they want 154.00 euro for the same thing.

    ROBBERS.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭ flutered


    has anyone tried ashshampoo.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭ cookie1977


    No.
    This site is a good site for reviewing antivirus programs independantly:
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/
    or this
    http://www.av-test.org/en/home/

    Choose from what these test if you must choose something other than microsoft security essentials


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jrakarl


    I have used NORTON 2007 and found that it slows my PC down and its clunky to use.

    I now use ZenOK free antivirus (downloaded at CNET) and found it meet and exceeds my needs, it's easy to use. It works in the back round and auto updates. ZenOK works great for me.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭ MOH


    -1 for MSE.

    I've been running it for a few months and it's been fine, but I'm on the point of uninstalling it now. Over the last while it's started this habit of churning through the disk scanning everything for no apparent reason. Does it at least once a day now, and it slows the machine down beyond usefulness.
    (It's set for a quick scan weekly at 2am, so it's definitely not that. It's something to do with realtime protection, as turning that off instantly solves the issue. )

    [edit]
    Ran a full scan last night (still running) - the disk and CPU usage pattern is exactly the same as what it's been doing on a daily basis, so it looks like for some reason it's randomly kicking off a full scan, with no way of stopping it. It's also ignoring the setting to limit the CPU usage during a scan, taking 50+% regardless of what that's set to.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 moriswatson


    I am also using avira antivirus since 2010. but still it's going fine to me.


  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭ paddyandy


    I've had no problems at all with MSE thanks to posters here many months ago but i scan and use C.Cleaner also .https and safe searches etc .


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 skiver1


    built a new computer mainly for games. I put mcafee on it.....the then tried to download origin to play battlefield....

    while i could download it, i coudnt access it as it kept saying could not make internet connection. Eventually deleted mcafee last night and was able to access.

    I tried various options with Mcafee to allow it access and even turned off the firewall all to no avail.

    Any suggestions on some more user friendly security software i could use?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭ Eboggles


    skiver1 wrote: »
    built a new computer mainly for games. I put mcafee on it.....the then tried to download origin to play battlefield....

    while i could download it, i coudnt access it as it kept saying could not make internet connection. Eventually deleted mcafee last night and was able to access.

    I tried various options with Mcafee to allow it access and even turned off the firewall all to no avail.

    Any suggestions on some more user friendly security software i could use?

    Microsoft Security Essentials. Lightweight, won't get in your way and seems to keep out most crap.


Advertisement