Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Has anyone got oscam to work with the VU+Duo and the sky FTV card? I have it working but it dies after a few weeks so the card it not getting its keep alive signal. I have to put the card back into an old sky box and leave it on Sky news for a couple of days to re-activate it.

I was wondering, if you have it working, would you mind sharing your config files? or would you have a look at my config files and see if you can spot where I am going wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

dnme wrote: »
    Has anyone got oscam to work with the VU+Duo and the sky FTV card? I have it working but it dies after a few weeks so the card it not getting its keep alive signal. I have to put the card back into an old sky box and leave it on Sky news for a couple of days to re-activate it.

I was wondering, if you have it working, would you mind sharing your config files? or would you have a look at my config files and see if you can spot where I am going wrong?

I use cccam and it updates the Sky FTV card fine. You don't need to edit config files are mess around with any settings.

Is there a reason you are using oscam besides stuff that cannot be talked about here?

recyclebin wrote: »
    I use cccam and it updates the Sky FTV card fine. You don't need to edit config files are mess around with any settings.

Is there a reason you are using oscam besides stuff that cannot be talked about here?

I'm using it for Pick TV which cccam no longer handles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I got Pick TV working using oscam through help from this thread here. I never really used it long enough to see if it updated the card.

If you do a search you might find it. Alternatively you could install both cccam and oscam and switch between the two when you watch Pick TV.

Edit: see post 1771 from dnme for oscam files.

recyclebin wrote: »
    I got Pick TV working using oscam through help from this thread here. I never really used it long enough to see if it updated the card.

If you do a search you might find it. Alternatively you could install both cccam and oscam and switch between the two when you watch Pick TV.

Edit: see post 1771 from dnme for oscam files.

I am dnme. I posted here before for help and thought I got it sorted but seemingly no. Does anyone else have oscam working? Can anyone help me with config files?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

I am dnme. I posted here before for help and thought I got it sorted but seemingly no. Does anyone else have oscam working? Can anyone help me with config files?

In Oscam server try replacing your reader settings with:

[reader]
    label = skyuk
    protocol = internal
    device = /dev/sci0
    blockemm-u = 0
    blockemm-s = 0
    blockemm-g = 1
    blockemm-unknown = 1
    emmcache = 1,3,2
    group = 1
    caid = 0963
    ecmwhitelist = 0963@000000:3E,4E,7D,7E,45,47,62,68,72

I'll try that GC, many thanks. Do you oscam working in the VU+Dio?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

I just updated to Vix 2.4 (build 135) and for some reason I've lost the drive mapping to the Vu+ on my PC and am having trouble accessing files on the Vu+ from another Enigma 2 box in spite of it (the Vu+) appearing to be mounted ok. Has something changed regarding the network setup with the latest software? Do I have to manually enable? LAN connection is otherwise fine (Telnet, FTP, OpenWebIF all fine) so this is probably something simple I am missing. Advice?

Edit: I had to enable NFS and Samba manually. That has solved the problem regarding the connection with the other box.

givecredit wrote: »
    In Oscam server try replacing your reader settings with:

[reader]
    label = skyuk
    protocol = internal
    device = /dev/sci0
    blockemm-u = 0
    blockemm-s = 0
    blockemm-g = 1
    blockemm-unknown = 1
    emmcache = 1,3,2
    group = 1
    caid = 0963
    ecmwhitelist = 0963@000000:3E,4E,7D,7E,45,47,62,68,72

GC, I tried your
    oscam.seerver fiel above, it didn't work. When I reverted back to my old oscam.server, it did work. So all I need now is for the dam thing to keep itself alive. Can you help? My oscam.server file is as follows
    [reader]
    label = slot1
    protocol = internal
    device = /dev/sci0
    boxid = (8 digit number here, hidden for boards.ie)
    detect = cd
    reconnecttimeout = 5
    ecmcache = 1
    emmcache = 1,3,2
    blockemm-u = 1
    blockemm-s = 1
    blockemm-g = 1
    blockemm-unknown = 1
    group = 1
    #lb_weight = 100

[reader]
    label = slot2
    protocol = internal
    device = /dev/sci1
    boxid = (8 digit number here, hidden for boards.ie)
    detect = cd
    reconnecttimeout = 5
    ecmcache = 1
    emmcache = 1,3,15
    blockemm-u = 1
    blockemm-s = 1
    blockemm-g = 1
    blockemm-unknown = 1
    group = 2
    #lb_weight = 101

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

Just a quick point, might seem silly but did you enter your boxid number in the respective field ? I know before I had to do this on oscam when using it on the dreambox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

change
    blockemm-u = 1 
    blockemm-s = 1 
    blockemm-g = 1
    blockemm-unknown = 1

in your existing file to be:
    blockemm-u = 0 
    blockemm-s = 0 
    blockemm-g = 0 
    blockemm-unknown = 1

I think this has been mentioned more than once before

oxo_ wrote: »
    Just a quick point, might seem silly but did you enter your boxid number in the respective field ? I know before I had to do this on oscam when using it on the dreambox.

Aparently the box id is not used. Regardless I have tried it with and without.

kierank01 wrote: »
    change
    blockemm-u = 1 
    blockemm-s = 1 
    blockemm-g = 1
    blockemm-unknown = 1

in your existing file to be:
    blockemm-u = 0 
    blockemm-s = 0 
    blockemm-g = 0 
    blockemm-unknown = 1

I think this has been mentioned more than once before

Kieran, These switches may have been mentioned as part of a bigger picture somewhere I'm not sure. Anyway my current server file is bases on a past discussion on this thread. What do these switches mean?

emm-u, emm-s, emm-g ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭Zardoz

oxo_ wrote: »
    Oscam no longer needs the boxid,it can read it automatically from the card ,unlike CCcam.

Kieran, These switches may have been mentioned as part of a bigger picture somewhere I'm not sure. Anyway my current server file is bases on a past discussion on this thread. What do these switches mean?

emm-u, emm-s, emm-g ?

I don't know exactly what they mean, but, setting them to 1, blocks updates.

[QUOTE=dnme;79033281. What do these switches mean?

emm-u, emm-s, emm-g ?[/QUOTE]

Have a look a the Oscam wiki guide here. Some useful information in it. Helps you to understand some of the settings in Oscam.

http://streamboard.gmc.to/wiki/OSCam/en

Have a look a the Oscam wiki guide here. Some useful information in it. Helps you to understand some of the settings in Oscam.

http://streamboard.gmc.to/wiki/OSCam/en

Yeah I tried that before, but it meant nothing to me..

e.g.
    block unique EMMs 
     blockemm-u = 0 # (no block) default blockemm-u = 1 # (block EMMs, which are addressed to card immediatly) )

Yeah I tried that before, but it meant nothing to me..

e.g.
    block unique EMMs 
     blockemm-u = 0 # (no block) default blockemm-u = 1 # (block EMMs, which are addressed to card immediatly) )

Cards needs to be authorised to decrypt channels; that authority is sent to the receiver in the form of an entitlement management message (EMM). The EMMs are specific to each subscriber, as identified by the smart card in his receiver, usually at monthly intervals. This can be different for every provider, BSkyB uses a term of 6 weeks.

In your setup you had set to block EMMs therefore after approx 6 week period your card would switch off. Setting to no block allow EMMs to be sent to your card.

Cards needs to be authorised to decrypt channels; that authority is sent to the receiver in the form of an entitlement management message (EMM). The EMMs are specific to each subscriber, as identified by the smart card in his receiver, usually at monthly intervals. This can be different for every provider, BSkyB uses a term of 6 weeks.

In your setup you had set to block EMMs therefore after approx 6 week period your card would switch off. Setting to no block allow EMMs to be sent to your card.

Many thanks for that clear and simple explanation. I finally get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ripblade2

Hi all hope this is not in the wrong place at this time but I have question about soarview on the Duo.
    I set it all up working fine so have 3 tunners now, excellent if your recording 2 things at once from different transpoders.
    but I still have my basic NtL running directly to my TV can I use that feed into a DVB-C as in cable dongle and then end up with practilly 4 tunners?

Oh by the way my RTE 2 HD very glichy thats becauce I made a mistake of not getting a HD stick, let that be a lession for anybody setting this up.

• Advertisement

ripblade2 wrote: »

Oh by the way my RTE 2 HD very glichy thats becauce I made a mistake of not getting a HD stick, let that be a lession for anybody setting this up.

I don't think there is really such thing as a 'hd stick'

It is just the decoding software (or hardware in the duo) that allows the viewing of hd channels.

There are sticks that are marketed as 'hd sticks' because of what the bundled software can do.

Have you switches on the swap partition? not sure where the setting is, and it is likely different on different images.

no idea about dvb-c

Just had a new dish installed and cabled recently. Getting terrible picture and sound breakup tonight particularly on the HD channels but right across the range.

I'm seeing on my OSD, SNR 99%, AGC 95%. Can anyone tell me are these figure good or bad? What should I be expecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just had a new dish installed and cabled recently. Getting terrible picture and sound breakup tonight particularly on the HD channels but right across the range.

I'm seeing on my OSD, SNR 99%, AGC 95%. Can anyone tell me are these figure good or bad? What should I be expecting?

Is it a standard sky dish?
    Those figures are actually excellent.
    A good check for dish alignment though is to check your levels on Vintage TV(12643/H/DVB-S/QPSK/27500 2/3.
    If you get anything above 40%SNR your dish is aligned fantastically well ;) I have it on a 90cm and rarely get above 41% despite BBC/ITV/C4 all being above 96%SNR(Just to add I have 28.2 at a 12degree offset)
    But if its a standard sky dish, given the current cloud cover/rainfall across the country you are going to have rain attenuation/breakup on smaller dishes.
    Its just the nature of sat reception that heavy rain will drastically affect the reception.

banie01 wrote: »
    Is it a standard sky dish?
    Those figures are actually excellent.
    A good check for dish alignment though is to check your levels on Vintage TV(12643/H/DVB-S/QPSK/27500 2/3.
    If you get anything above 40%SNR your dish is aligned fantastically well ;) I have it on a 90cm and rarely get above 41% despite BBC/ITV/C4 all being above 96%SNR
    But if its a standard sky dish, given the current cloud cover/rainfall across the country you are going to have rain attenuation/breakup on smaller dishes.
    Its just the nature of sat reception that heavy rain will drastically affect the reception.

Many thanks.
    On Vintage TV I'm getting SNR 58% and AGC 95%. Yes its a standard sky type dish. He put it at the back of the house where the gable was interfering slightly with line of sight blocking about 10% of dish. But he reckoned he was still getting a good signal.

But then the cable run was unimpressive. He started off with shotgun cable. I asked him to use single cable instead. He brought in three in total, 2 for the DUO and one for the kitchen. But the entrance hole was too small and we had to pull cable through with great force. Also he has three joins in the cabling where he left the runs too short. So I suspect the cabling TBH.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

God, that sounds a right mess. Could be a number of things. Ugh...

What did he use to make the "joins" on the cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭banie01

. Also he has three joins in the cabling where he left the runs too short. So I suspect the cabling TBH.
    byte wrote: »

The joins in the cable are most likely your issue then.
    But that said anywhere west of the shannon on a standard sky dish and you are going to have rain attenuation and break up issues at some stage this evening ;)

byte wrote: »

TBH I was never impressed with his cabling. While he was here, I went to the hardware and bought him some trunking (sticky back cunduit 1") to keep the job neat. It didnt turn out great.

He's a decent fella and we got on great,He does use proper compression F-Connectors but that seems to be as good as it gets. but I was never really happy with the job tbh.

208049.jpg

208050.jpg

208051.jpg

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well, he at least uses the right connections for joints, I had in my head him just twisting the braid and di together, not using F's and barrels.

In the bottom pic especially (not sure about the middle one), you can't really force the cable around the corner, without the likelihood of creasing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

Right now I'm getting 53% SNR on Vintage TV with 82 AGC. The latter number not too relevant but SNR is a measure of signal analogue 'quality'.

I'm west of the Shannon and it's currently blowing up a storm outside.

I reckon your dish is perfectly aligned - as you suspect, the problem is likely to be with the cabling. Since you have already run it , it may not be a huge job to use the existing patchy cable to pull through a new run which is long enough that you can dispense with the joins.

But..before we jump to a conclusion too early - can you tell if your SNR is fluctuating a lot? Or even better, look at your dish and check that it's not being severely buffeted by the wind. If it's not in a sheltered position and your dish isn't rigid enough, that could be the problem.

• Advertisement

SalteeDog wrote: »
    Right now I'm getting 53% SNR on Vintage TV with 82 AGC. The latter number not too relevant but SNR is a measure of signal analogue 'quality'.

I'm west of the Shannon and it's currently blowing up a storm outside.

I reckon your dish is perfectly aligned - as you suspect, the problem is likely to be with the cabling. Since you have already run it , it may not be a huge job to use the existing patchy cable to pull through a new run which is long enough that you can dispense with the joins.

But..before we jump to a conclusion too early - can you tell if your SNR is fluctuating a lot? Or even better, look at your dish and check that it's not being severely buffeted by the wind. If it's not in a sheltered position and your dish isn't rigid enough, that could be the problem.

No the dish is stable as is the SNR. He's going to do a new cable run and move the dish slightly to give it 100% sight. That's fair enough I reckon. It's all ground floor work so the new cable run is simple.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement