Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'm gonna guess it's 2L, not sure if they got the Brera's engine though. That'd be sweet! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

What liter is that Alfa? Tis nice.

:o was the feeling when I saw the exhaust and found it was only a 2.2 petrol. It does sound good though and is reasonably fast. The 3.2 is sh1t. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

CianRyan wrote: »
    I'm gonna guess it's 2L, not sure if they got the Brera's engine though. That'd be sweet! :)

petrol?

EDIT: of course. *3rd partyface palm*

petrol?

Brera and Spider came with three engines at launch. A 2.2JTS petrol engine with 185bhp, a 2.4JTDm diesel with 200 odd bhp and a 3.2V6 JTS with 260 bhp and AWD.

A 2.0 JTDm was then brought in in 2010 I think as was the 1750TBi engine.

2.4JTDm engine is the best if you're doing the miles otherwise stick to the 2.2JTS yoke. :)

166man wrote: »
    Brera and Spider came with three engines at launch. A 2.2JTS petrol engine with 185bhp, a 2.4JTDm diesel with 200 odd bhp and a 3.2V6 JTS with 260 bhp and AWD.

A 2.0 JTDm was then brought in in 2010 I think as was the 1750TBi engine.

2.4JTDm engine is the best if you're doing the miles otherwise stick to the 2.2JTS yoke. :)

But im got getting one just yet. ;)

Neither am I....:pac:

166man wrote: »
    Neither am I....:pac:

Well, just play with your dads one, while you can. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Good news! Sheared bolt cam out after I drilled a hole and bet a old screwdriver in. Happy days.

Now for another question. What strength bolt should I be using for an engine/gearbox mount? There were a mixture of 8.8 and 10.9 bolts in it and I'm not sure to go will all 10.9 or 8.8. I've a sneaking suspicion that the previous owner didn't torque them up after changing the clutch and may have mixed bolts.

EDIT: I'm also short of haynes manuals. Anyone have a guideline torque figure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

BX 19 wrote: »
    Good news! Sheared bolt cam out after I drilled a hole and bet a old screwdriver in. Happy days.

Now for another question. What strength bolt should I be using for an engine/gearbox mount? There were a mixture of 8.8 and 10.9 bolts in it and I'm not sure to go will all 10.9 or 8.8. I've a sneaking suspicion that the previous owner didn't torque them up after changing the clutch and may have mixed bolts.

EDIT: I'm also short of haynes manuals. Anyone have a guideline torque figure?

Relief beyond belief :)

10.9 is the stronger of the 2. Better explained here. I learned this myself years ago (when I was 14) wondering why the bolts holding our engine crane had stripped thread? Turns out they were 4.8 :rolleyes:

What car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

If anybody is knocking about there's ITCC testing in Mondello from 2-5 today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Blue fog light covers......yay or nay?

lightbluefogs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

BDJW wrote: »

lightbluefogs.jpg

Nay for me. It makes it stand out too much. Those civic have already a lot of design details which work great when put together, I would not change a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Motor filled few days ahead, that I'm looking forward to :D

Off car shopping for a RWD this evening with a friend
    Random midweek day booked off tomorrow to chill with same petrolhead friend (feeling I may know rotaries inside out by the wknd!)
    I've organised a meet on another site down around wicklow friday night
    Saturday the Teg will be sparkling (followed by boozin)
    Sunday C&C in Loughlinstown
    Maybe spin over to the track day Monday

It's a hard life :p

BDJW wrote: »

Either or, don't add or take from the car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Great way to attract Police attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

By changing 2 small triangular fog lights to a very light shade of blue?!
    In fairness such a small change as that would barely be noticed by guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Ah but it is a civic, those attract guards like flies to sh*t.

Jemmy wrote: »
    By changing 2 small triangular fog lights to a very light shade of blue?!
    In fairness such a small change as that would barely be noticed by guards.

I agree with Jemmy on this. The police won't pay any attention to them. If the lads from the Civic owners forum don't get any hassle from the police in England who are really strict on everything, I can't see our police giving any hassle!

Never even had a second glance from the guards to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

'Our man without a clue'

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads, sorry, but total off topic!

The carpet floors were changed today at home in my office while I was at work. It must new few hours since they finished it. Can I put my shot back in or I need to wait?

*sorry, total off topic, but we have a lot of man here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I don't like the blue covers - ruins the symmetry of the car.

In relation to being a Garda magnet - LOL!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

dgt wrote: »
    Relief beyond belief :)

10.9 is the stronger of the 2. Better explained here. I learned this myself years ago (when I was 14) wondering why the bolts holding our engine crane had stripped thread? Turns out they were 4.8 :rolleyes:

What car?

I'm aware of the strengths on them. Might chance the 10.9 if I can find them locally. 4.8? No wonder they kept breaking :P

Clio MK1.

The joys of an old banger. However its such a simple car, if anything breaks, its a simple enough fix. It only cost me 4 quid to fix. :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Motor filled few days ahead, that I'm looking forward to :D

Off car shopping for a RWD this evening with a friend
    Random midweek day booked off tomorrow to chill with same petrolhead friend (feeling I may know rotaries inside out by the wknd!)
    I've organised a meet on another site down around wicklow friday night
    Saturday the Teg will be sparkling (followed by boozin)
    Sunday C&C in Loughlinstown

It's a hard life :p

He'll have you owning an RX7 by the end of the week ;)

jenizzle wrote: »
    He'll have you owning an RX7 by the end of the week ;)

Lol he can try but it will never happen!
    Waiting to see what his is like when it's back from UK :D Never had a spin in an rx7 or 8!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Head's melted here, I could use a hand.

1. Can't figure out how to change my headlights. Take off the plug, take off the lock... Nothing.
    2. Can't figure out how to change my brake light. Take off the cover and it seems to be concealed behind a big plastic housing that can't be taken off. Do I have to take off the whole light cluster?

Very embarrassing I have to say. :o

And before it's said, I looked on google but I couldn't find anything.

Edit: It's an N15 Almera.

Random question but does anyone know can you get recaro seats in any colours other than standard black/red/blue & yellow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

Lads, sorry, but total off topic!

The carpet floors were changed today at home in my office while I was at work. It must new few hours since they finished it. Can I put my shot back in or I need to wait?

*sorry, total off topic, but we have a lot of man here. :)

you can work away now, no need to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

NCT Fail on:

- Inner Tie Rod End - ok this is a legit fail, though having just had the outers replaced and an alignment done 2wks ago, surprising
    - No Switch on Auxiliary LED lights, ie they come on with engine, as intended
    - "Illegal" reg plates, ie not illegal German plates, but these are played out now so I dont mind changing them.
    - No screws on rear seat bench. Never even noticed it had the provision to screw it in place. My 3 three other cars have no such screws and logically would pass... Pointless.

My best fail yet though, should cost virtually nothing to put right.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Lol he can try but it will never happen!
    Waiting to see what his is like when it's back from UK :D Never had a spin in an rx7 or 8!

Feel free to take a spin in my yoke on Sunday, just to get you used to the underwhelming lack of vtec :P