Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Its sad when things get so bad for formr players that they are forced to sell prized possesions.

The real "LT" is selling his Super Bowl winning ring

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82928a99/article/lawrence-taylor-selling-his-91-super-bowl-ring?module=HP11_headline_stack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Its sad when things get so bad for formr players that they are forced to sell prized possesions.

The real "LT" is selling his Super Bowl winning ring

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82928a99/article/lawrence-taylor-selling-his-91-super-bowl-ring?module=HP11_headline_stack

Fooking amazing player in his day and all that but drugs and prostitutes will dry your money up very quickly. Just sayin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Did a good job in Any Given Sunday

Had a tiny role in Shaft and The Waterboy

But these are old films
    Better get that agent working and earn some cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

"When the Super Bowl was over...Everyone was so excited, but by then I felt deflated. I'd won every award, had my best season, finally won the Super Bowl. I was on top of the world right? So what could be next? Nothing. The thrill is the chase to get to the top. Every day the excitement builds and builds and builds, and then when you're finally there and the game is over...
    And then, nothing."

Easy to see how he got into a rut and spent all that money on drugs, women and alcohol. Pity he wasted the rest of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Rolando McLain is off to jail for 6 months. Good lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Jonathan Vilma to sue Roger Goodell for Defamation

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/17/vilma-sues-goodell-for-defamation/
    Like so many other developments in the Saints’ bounty drama, the latest one has arrived out of the blue, without warning.

During last Friday’s PFT Live, lawyer Peter Ginsberg vaguely hinted at additional legal action that he may be taking on behalf of Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma. But there was no indication that Vilma would file a lawsuit against NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

That’s precisely what Vilma has done. It’s Vilma v. Goodell, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana, the federal court that encompasses New Orleans.

As specified in paragraph 1 on the complaint, the claim is defamation, which means that Vilma contends Goodell lied about Vilma when making public statements about Vilma’s role in the alleged bounty program.

What follows over the next 112 numbered paragraphs are a variety of specific allegations that, in short, claim the Commissioner has been untruthful about Vilma’s involvement in the bounty program, and that Vilma never “pledged” and “never paid, or intended to pay” $10,000 or any amount of money as an incentive to knock Brett Favre or Kurt Warner out of 2009 playoff games, or any other player in any other game.

Curiously, Vilma never says that he never “offered” to pay $10,000 as an incentive to knock Brett Favre or Kurt Warner or anyone else out of any games. The use of the phrase “never paid, or intended to pay” copies the content of Vilma’s May 2 statement, which seemed to dance around the possibility that Vilma, perhaps in the heat of the moment, made a hollow offer to pay the money as part of an exercise in standard pregame hyperbole.

Above all else, the lawsuit appears to be a mechanism for forcing the NFL to put the evidence against Vilma on the table. Since truth is an absolute defense to any defamation claim, Goodell can vindicate himself by offering up proof to support the statements he has made.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

phatkev wrote: »
    Oh, well, thats him fúcked.

He may never play in the NFL if this goes tits up.

Is there any history of players sueing the Commisioner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

phatkev wrote: »

Scene:
    A crowded stadium locker-room. Players putting final touches to tape, pads, gloves. Faces stern and focused. Then an intense crowding around listening to a man give them a rallying cry; motivating them with encouragement and orders. Their confidence and spirit lifts. Their passion grows. The heads rise up, their shoulders prop, their back straightens and chest puffs out. They begin to feel the blood boiling.

They all stand. Huddle up. Claps hands in a central point. All intensity to the fore, jostling and heaving with pure passion and raw fierce energy.

"Ill give anyone $10k to knock the effing sht outta Favre/Warner" - A player screams just as they breakup the huddle.

Is this a clear direct order to go and do something and he will literally give them $10k or is it an emotional rallying cry? Is it defamation if they have a tape which you can hear him shout this cry?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

If anyone misses the old fantasy rigmarole and fancies an early to the party fantasy league I can set one up if we get 8 or 12 names. It'd be on Fleaflicker, where each draft pick has a max time of 24 hrs so there's no pressure on anyone to commit to a fixed time and date and you can research each pick. If the interest is there we could make it a keeper league?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    If anyone misses the old fantasy rigmarole and fancies an early to the party fantasy league I can set one up if we get 8 or 12 names. It'd be on Fleaflicker, where each draft pick has a max time of 24 hrs so there's no pressure on anyone to commit to a fixed time and date and you can research each pick. If the interest is there we could make it a keeper league?

Yeah I'd be interested in that, missing my fix of American Football at the moment!

• Advertisement

I'll give it a go also. Be interesting to see how it pans out with regards to who I pick now and in a few months time.

Scene:
    A crowded stadium locker-room. Players putting final touches to tape, pads, gloves. Faces stern and focused. Then an intense crowding around listening to a man give them a rallying cry; motivating them with encouragement and orders. Their confidence and spirit lifts. Their passion grows. The heads rise up, their shoulders prop, their back straightens and chest puffs out. They begin to feel the blood boiling.

They all stand. Huddle up. Claps hands in a central point. All intensity to the fore, jostling and heaving with pure passion and raw fierce energy.

"Ill give anyone $10k to knock the effing sht outta Favre/Warner" - A player screams just as they breakup the huddle.

Is this a clear direct order to go and do something and he will literally give them $10k or is it an emotional rallying cry? Is it defamation if they have a tape which you can hear him shout this cry?

People say stupid things in heated moments especially when pumped up. It will be interesting to see what actual evidence the NFL have and to what context he said what he said. Its going to be a tough one to prove and disprove.

CoachTO wrote: »
    I'll give it a go also. Be interesting to see how it pans out with regards to who I pick now and in a few months time.
    There's 3 names. Presume we could easily make up a 12 team league divided into 3 divisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

I'd do it as well Eire :)

If anyone wants in send me a PM with yer email addresses and I'll sort out invites.

Keeper league: yay or nay?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

The whole safety issue is a catch 22 for everyone. Tbh I think there should be a focus on helmets ie players should be forced to wear the safest available, but there are legal issues with that. I think a bit too much is made of Vilma, I think that the Favre hit was a heat of the moment thing and not something you can stamp out.

matthew8 wrote: »
    The whole safety issue is a catch 22 for everyone. Tbh I think there should be a focus on helmets ie players should be forced to wear the safest available, but there are legal issues with that. I think a bit too much is made of Vilma, I think that the Favre hit was a heat of the moment thing and not something you can stamp out.

The problem is if there is evidence of him saying something about it before the game and a bounty being offered and the hits are actually made and some of them dirty then its more than just the heat of the moment. That is point the NFL is trying make but Vilma obviously is saying now he didnt put any bounty on it. Either way until all the evidence is brought to the table we wont know.

As for dirty hits and heat of the moment. It doesn't matter how intense a game is proper technique should be used at all times. If a player gets paralyzed by a bad hit in the "heat of the moment" do they just brush it off as heat of the moment? No they shouldn't these guys are paid to do their jobs and one stupid mistake could wreck someones life.

When spearing was outlawed these was very little up roar over the banning of it and proper technique and enforcement at a younger age abolished spearing and every US coach I know now are trying to minimise stupid hits especially those where players clearly lead with their heads or hit late for now reason other than show. If High school and college guys can conform to proper safety why can't the Pros?

As for helmet both Riddell and Schutt are designing newer and better helmets every year but you still have to make sure the players are using safer techniques and making sure the helmet is still not being used at the forefront of every tackle.

As for dirty hits and heat of the moment. It doesn't matter how intense a game is proper technique should be used at all times. If a player gets paralyzed by a bad hit in the "heat of the moment" do they just brush it off as heat of the moment? No they shouldn't these guys are paid to do their jobs and one stupid mistake could wreck someones life.

I just think some players will never change. Players like Suggs, Vilma, Harrison and Lewis aren't going to stop hitting players the way they do or else they'll retire.

matthew8 wrote: »
    I just think some players will never change. Players like Suggs, Vilma, Harrison and Lewis aren't going to stop hitting players the way they do or else they'll retire.

Suggs and Lewis are clean players. A very small % of their hits are in any way dirty. Vilma I would have said before all of this was a clean enough player also again like the other 2 he is guilty of silly hit the odd time. Harrison on the other hand is filth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

If anyone wants in send me a PM with yer email addresses and I'll sort out invites.

Keeper league: yay or nay?

Count ne in. Are you going to make draft picks tradeable? It could really work will with 24hrs on the clock

• Advertisement

Suggs and Lewis are clean players. A very small % of their hits are in any way dirty. Vilma I would have said before all of this was a clean enough player also again like the other 2 he is guilty of silly hit the odd time. Harrison on the other hand is filth.

The point is they're mainly clean but they're emotional players. For example when Tom Brady faked a slide against the Redskins after getting a joke of a penalty for a forearm to the forearm London Fletcher stood back because he's a smart player. I don't think a player like Terrell Suggs would be able to stand back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

im up for the league

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Count ne in. Are you going to make draft picks tradeable? It could really work will with 24hrs on the clock
    Yep. So when ye're signing up make sure ye use your usernames so everyone knows where to go for trades.

I can make a thread anyway in the fantasy forum and list the team names and users.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Xfire Elect

I'd be interested in playing the league if I can

I'd be interested in playing the league if I can
    Cool, PM me your email address.

I'll get around to invites either tonight or tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

There's 3 names. Presume we could easily make up a 12 team league divided into 3 divisions.

Count me in!

Invitations have been sent out, sorry for the delay. Wanted to wait for the first 12 people that threw their name into the hat but one or two didn't reply. Also, apologies to those who were too late!

Ye'd probably get another 12 teamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

signed up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭farranreeboy

Count me in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Padji1

Invitations have been sent out, sorry for the delay. Wanted to wait for the first 12 people that threw their name into the hat but one or two didn't reply. Also, apologies to those who were too late!

Ye'd probably get another 12 teamer.

I'm trying to sign in there but it says my email address is incorrect.
    Am I too late?

EDIT: Sorted now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement