Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Augmerson wrote: »

Pity it wasn't Final Fantasy 7.
    I'd definitely pay €250 to have never played Final Fantasy 7. :(

203004.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Steve SI wrote: »
    This DayZ game/mod is damn addictive. It can be a bit freaky when you're just walking around in the dark and meet your first Zombie :eek:

My first zombie freak out as I try to get to grasps with the controls(zombies at about 3:40)
    Looks better in HD on youtube as its very dark.

I died soon after from blood loss :(

I couldnt play that, I would soil myself definitely!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

DayZ has an update out this morning. Seems like it adds a stupid amount of zombies.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,594 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I read that the Zombies don't go into buildings now and you can sneak around them a bit better.

But there are more of them? Balls! :( was hard enough already!

Might force people to co-operate more now. Because you certainly won't be getting into a town on your own easily anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    I read that the Zombies don't go into buildings now

Ah :( Surely it'd be better if they did?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Why would anyone put themselves through this!
    Complete Superman64 on cart without cheats

We totally could have done it on Friday night. But not everyone was committed to the cause.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

EnterNow wrote: »
    Ah :( Surely it'd be better if they did?

Aye. So with this mod you have to eat and drink etc to keep your health up? That mean you have to look after calls of nature too? Can't imagine anything more scary than having to pitch a loaf in game when a Zombie creeps up on ya. :pac:

Master of the Universe

Seriously lads, it's a big improvement!

Imagine this, you're slowly creeping towards a city. All that's lighting up the night is the flicker of a red flare in the distance, bouncing off the buildings. Your immediate surroundings are pitch black.

You spark your own flare to see the path ahead, when suddenly the light shows a zombie standing right in front of you.

He sees you, lets out a blood curdling scream and runs towards you, wanting to eat your brain.

You flip out, accidentally throw a flare at him (you forgot to reselect your pistol after taking the flares out) - now he's munching of your face.

You manage to toggle your pistol and while running in the direction of the city (hoping to god there's someone by that red flare to help you). You run backwards so you can aim at him, discharging a crap load of shots like a mad man.

Only a few connect home (there's no crosshair in this) and the shots alerted a crap load of other zombies.

You're about 50 feet from a building. BAM! BAM! You're down to 10 bullets.

Building is 50 feet away. BAM BAM BAM! There goes your next five bullets - but you got a bit luckier with these shots as you've composed yourself a little more after the initial shock.

Finally with some more good shooting, you take all the zombies out. But you're totally out of ammo.

You creep into the building, arms shaking, blood oozing. You apply some bandages and take some painkillers. Finally. Sanctuary. Sit down and have a rest.

With that, a zombie appears out of a room in the building and kills you.

Moral of the story - everyone needs to be able to take at least a tiny break after a firefight!

They've up the zombies by loads, so getting into buildings will be even harder. But if they have them as sanctuaries that'll be great (how could would it be if you could barricade doors???)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Aye. So with this mod you have to eat and drink etc to keep your health up? That mean you have to look after calls of nature too? Can't imagine anything more scary than having to pitch a loaf in game when a Zombie creeps up on ya. :pac:

No you eat and drink because if you don't you'll eventually start getting shaky and in the end will pass out. It has nothing to do with health.

Health wise - you start off with 12000 blood. If you get mauled, you start bleeding. Need to bandage it up or your blood will slowly decrease if you die.

Only way of getting more blood - a blood transfusion. But you need someone else to give it to you :pac:

- edit - as for bodily functions, man...they have to do that! :D

Moral of the story - everyone needs to be able to take at least a tiny break after a firefight!

They've up the zombies by loads, so getting into buildings will be even harder. But if they have them as sanctuaries that'll be great (how could would it be if you could barricade doors???)

This is true enough, nicely explained too :D

I guess you'll be filled with foreboding that you'll eventually have to leave said building for sustenance due to the game mechanics. Sounds amazing

Master of the Universe

I swear to god, standing in a building while more and more zombies begin to congregate outside is absolutely terrifying! Indeed - knowing your nourishment levels are going down is eery, you really cant stay there for a long time.

I was up on a roof in one game with a few guys and we could just hear one screaming. Couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Very very scary.

Eventually one of the guys cast a torch down onto a building across the road and there was a zombie looking out across from a stairwell screaming at us.

I took out a sniper rifle I'd found earlier with only a couple of bullets left - BOOM!

No more screaming sound.

It reminded me of stories from the WW1 trenches when you'd have some poor chap stuck screaming in no mans land, freaking everyone in the trenches out.

How the hell are you playing that on a laptop o1s1n, or have you got a usb mouse plugged in?

Master of the Universe

USB mouse alright. They gave out these really nice little wireless one in work a few weeks ago.

YOINK! :D

I'm running it on my laptop as well... but it's not the best.

I have a new graphics card to stick my tower, will hopefully do that this evening and it get everything up and running on that.

DinoRex wrote: »
    I'm running it on my laptop as well... but it's not the best.

I have a new graphics card to stick my tower, will hopefully do that this evening and it get everything up and running on that.

It was more the laptops mousepad I was thinking, fps games are nigh impossible on them to play properly.

Graphics wise I think o1s1ns is fairly powerful.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I swear to god, standing in a building while more and more zombies begin to congregate outside is absolutely terrifying! Indeed - knowing your nourishment levels are going down is eery, you really cant stay there for a long time.

I was up on a roof in one game with a few guys and we could just hear one screaming. Couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Very very scary.

Eventually one of the guys cast a torch down onto a building across the road and there was a zombie looking out across from a stairwell screaming at us.

I took out a sniper rifle I'd found earlier with only a couple of bullets left - BOOM!

No more screaming sound.

It reminded me of stories from the WW1 trenches when you'd have some poor chap stuck screaming in no mans land, freaking everyone in the trenches out.

Sounds pretty cool actually. Worth the 20 odd quid and monster download? Do you have to chat to people to get the most out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Right, home on a half day. Might fire up DayZ and see how it is in daylight.
    It's a real pain changing the underwear every 10mins when playing it at 3am like last night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I genuinely wouldnt be able to play that game out of fear :o

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Sounds pretty cool actually. Worth the 20 odd quid and monster download? Do you have to chat to people to get the most out of it?

See, it's not so much a videogame in the transitional sense as it is a survival experience. If you want to just run around on your own, shooting everyone you see then you can - in fact having players like this is a big part of the game as it creates a great sense of unease.

However, I've found the most enjoyable experience comes from trying your best to get a group of survivors together working as a team.

You can't carry very much, so as night one guy could have the torch in his pack, maybe you have the map etc.

Do keep in mind that you could spend about 20 minutes just running along a coastline trying to figure out where you should go. It is a timesink. I could see it being up there with playing WOW or something if you managed to keep your character alive for a very long time.

It's utterly stupid how long it's taken for a game like this to happen.

It's sort of what I wanted from Resident Evil Outbreak all those years ago.

Master of the Universe

Apparently the guy who made it pitched the idea many times but always got laughed out of board rooms (at least I think I read that somewhere!) - so he decided to make it as a free mod instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Anyone else having big problems connecting to dayz servers today? Also this latest update seems a bit buggy to me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Damn! I really want to pay that now! Think my laptop can handle it? It's got an i3 and 4gb of ram.

Also, anyone want to play animal crossing on the ds with me? Been playing it a lot today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,932 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Decided to troll a Legend of Dragoon video on youtube. Said the final song in the game was a **** song for a **** game. Got my first colourful reply:

'you are **** and the parents that didn't choke you the day you were born.'

Wonderfully articulate :)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Decided to troll a Legend of Dragoon video on youtube. Said the final song in the game was a **** song for a **** game. Got my first colourful reply:

'you are **** and the parents that didn't choke you the day you were born.'

Wonderfully articulate :)

Ah yes, American no doubt

redneck2-760858.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm nearly at 6000 Ninty points on the Club Ninty website.
    So, what should I spend them on?
    The little plush ? cube with authentic sounds when it's smacked with an Italian plumbers head?
    The Laptop bag?
    The little Animal Crossing bag?
    I am leaning towards the Wii Snes controller or the Game&Watch Ball, but I will need another 1600 points for some of those

Master of the Universe

Fun fact - I am the exact same age as the Dart, down to the day.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Another interesting fact -

Remember that ****e film, The Number 23?

The plot involves an obsession with the 23 enigma, an esoteric belief that all incidents and events are directly connected to the number 23, some permutation of the number 23, or a number related to 23

That was released on the 23rd of July 2007 (my 23rd Birthday)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement