Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

US6 was the only server I was having much luck with. A lot of the US servers seem to be running an update above 1.60 that I can't seem to find anywhere.

Oh... and the trailer is awesome:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

DinoRex wrote: »
    US6 was the only server I was having much luck with. A lot of the US servers seem to be running an update above 1.60 that I can't seem to find anywhere.

Oh... and the trailer is awesome:

Yeah US6 is what I was playing on as well. Although they restarted the server twice which was a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Steve SI wrote: »
    So very very true :D

My first proper night of playing the game and once you can get on a bloody server and it doesn't crash its great.

I logged into a US server so I could play in daylight. Managed to get to Pavlovo(or something like that) using my sneaky powers(and killing nothing) but that village was overrun with zeds so I snuck as best I could but had to kill 32 of them in a short space of time, wasn't easy with my peashooter of a gun.

You can see in the below pics I was sneaking around fine until the dude found me in pic 3. Then the shiz hit the fan and you can see my stats in pic 4 :(
    Click for biggies:

Zombies killed

Pic 1: Killcount 0
    Pic 2: 0
    Pic 3: Still 0 :pac:

Pic 4: 2 dead zombie GAA teams. And a their zombie bus driver. All with headshots. :eek:

And a zombie tried wanted to parley as well, though that wasn't a headshot. I'm not risking joking about that because Steve possibly flung a the bus at it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

More legend of dragoon fun. I told the previous guy he was a bit over the top and not very nice to which he replied 'No, not really. You come in and say **** about everyone. the part about choking is just for lols, could have said took a dump on your head or something.
    But you indeed are ****'

Another person decided to get in on the conversation:

'probly cause you suck at it'

The lack of punctuation makes me weep.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    More legend of dragoon fun. I told the previous guy he was a bit over the top and not very nice to which he replied 'No, not really. You come in and say **** about everyone. the part about choking is just for lols, could have said took a dump on your head or something.
    But you indeed are ****'

Another person decided to get in on the conversation:

'probly cause you suck at it'

The lack of punctuation makes me weep.

Don't be such a troll. Because of your actions I felt obliged to take steps to restore harmony to their hugbox and told them their Mega CD game has very impressive graphics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

a5y wrote: »
    Don't be such a troll. Because of your actions I felt obliged to take steps to restore harmony to their hugbox and told them their Mega CD game has very impressive graphics.

Whoa whoa, there's no need to be dragging the Mega CD into this. It gave us such titles as:

snatcher_gun_mouth.jpg

Ok not much else but still.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Keoi Flying Squadron, Robo Aleste, Popful Mail, Shining Force CD... and well now I'm a bit lost for games as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You both missed Night Trap.

I am full of shame for you right now.

o1s1n wrote: »
    You both missed Night Trap.

I am full of shame for you right now.

Shouldn't you be in your manor?

Master of the Universe

I am. Currently it's full of girls who are just preparing for a slumber party.

Luckily I set up a load of CCTV cameras earlier.

• Advertisement

I am. Currently it's full of girls who are just preparing for a slumber party.

Luckily I set up a load of CCTV cameras earlier.

Surely thats because of the gold wallpaper?

EnterNow wrote: »
    Whoa whoa, there's no need to be dragging the Mega CD into this. It gave us such titles as:

snatcher_gun_mouth.jpg

Ok not much else but still.

Snatcher: impressive art direction, attention to detail, aesthetics, gripping and memorable storyline, immersion and gameplay (ignoring the flow breaking shooting bits which you either love, hate or would rather forget).

But considering the hardware does Snatcher have impressive graphics? Is it tech demo awesome?

204977.png

This is impressive graphics without the added confusion of anything else positive that Snatcher has going for it. Its a good tech demo... with both disasterous feature creep and remarketing as a game.

I believe the phrase is "OK not much else but still." :P

(Cough Sonic CD, Silpheed, Final Fight CD, Road Avenger, Night Trap, Flink...)

a5y wrote: »
    But considering the hardware does Snatcher have impressive graphics? Is it tech demo awesome?

Since when did that ever equate to a brilliant game though?

Snatcher CD is comic-noire based consolised point & click adventure. It's graphics are good in the comic sense, it's music is excellent, & the storytelling & immersion are without a doubt the best the console has to offer.

It doesn't need brilliant tech demo graphics, it's a brilliant game, what else matters ;)

Of course Sonic CD, Robo Aleste, Shining Force etc are all great examples, my point was the console doesn't offer much...but there are hidden gems which totally exonerate the console for me :)

Rise of the Robots is not a good looking game. It looks absolutely dire. The art direction is muck and the animation is terrible. All they did was badly render 3D models and took pictures of them. For all the stick I give DKC at least they gave the game good animation that gave the illusion that it wasn't just a few photos taken of CGI art. I don't even think that rise of the robots follows the animation rule that you need at least 3 frames to provide convincing movement.

Snatcher on the other hand has some gorgeous hand drawn artwork, there's no faulting it there. Also just because it's a text adventure doesn't mean it's a bad game. Some of us here love adventure games and I wouldn't dismiss the genre because of a lack of gameplay. As a text addventure Snatcher is on the top pile.

Master of the Universe

I've never played through Snatcher. Got it up and running the weekend before last in an emulator. Wanted to check it quickly before considering dropping a load of cash for that copy on adverts.

Looks to be an amazing game, but my god, does it borrow from sources heavily. There's 'influenced by' (Obvious ones like Bladerunner and T2)

But then there's simply ripping off. The backdrops of the city are a copy and paste job straght from Neo Tokyo in Akira.

NeoKobe.jpg

PDVD_006-300x200.jpg

Kinda pissed me off!

Agreed, it borrows heavily from the likes of Blade Runner & Terminator, & the Neo Kobe backdrop basically is straight from Akira.

It 'feels' original to play though, & strings it all together to make a really memorable game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've never played Snatcher, but whenever I hear 'adventure game' I break out in a cold sweat and have to stop myself randomly consulting gamefaqs.

Cool genre though.

Master of the Universe

I'll have to give it a run through sometime soon.

Do you have an original PAL Sega CD copy? I think I remember you saying you do? They sure do go for a nice sum these days - a hell of a lot more than Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Since when did that ever equate to a brilliant game though?
    Never. I've never implied it did. Hell, maybe even a disproportion amount of games with excellent graphics are utterly terrible.
    Snatcher CD is comic-noire based consolised point & click adventure. It's graphics are good in the comic sense, it's music is excellent, & the storytelling & immersion are without a doubt the best the console has to offer.
    When I say graphics I mean impressive demonstrations of what the hardware can do. I don't mean how pleasing the end result actually looks (I call that aesthetics), though so many games magazines used the terms interchangeably its kinda a hopeless cause making the distinction.

When I mean how good something looks I'll talk aesthetics. So when I say that Atari 2600 version of Star Castle made on Kickstarter has impressive graphics, I mean it, and similarly when I say I'm not impressed by the Saturn version of Virtua Fighter's graphics .
    It doesn't need brilliant tech demo graphics, it's a brilliant game, what else matters ;)

Of course Sonic CD, Robo Aleste, Shining Force etc are all great examples, my point was the console doesn't offer much...but there are hidden gems which totally exonerate the console for me :)
    The only reason the Mega CD didn't offer much was that Sega was utterly nuts when it came to decision making. (From Wikipedia) "Sega of Japan, partnering with Sony, refused to consult with Sega's American division until the project was completed — Sega of America had to assemble parts from various "dummy" units to obtain a working prototype."

Read:
    • "All that talent and those resources we have in the US? F### EM."
    • "Should big third party developers be able to make games for the launch? Ha ha, no, screw those guys."
    • "Sega and Sony are going to be BFFs forever!"
    Also for "What is the contingency plan if this doesn't pay off? I don't think a console add-on has ever been proven to be commercially successful."
    • "Well, we could either write off the add-on business model as a failed experiment and accept you can't win them all, and commit the entire business in the medium and long term to developing for a new console. Not perfect, and Nintendo would be sure to benefit from the failure but its been proven to be the most successful approach for years."
    • "OR if we came really close to success we could commit the entire business to try another add-on. Learn from the mistakes, maybe help 3rd party devs out too so we'll spread the risk."
    • "OR we could be nuts and do both and leave customers asking themselves what console they even buy games for any more and give them misleading info on when the next console is getting released."
    :pac: "Gee. That third option offers the worst of both worlds and sounds utterly insane. Let's do that one."

(I love Sega, but the same way I love really stupid friendly dogs you have to keep a close eye on).

TL;DR:
    Mega CD: Good
    Snatcher: Good
    Rise of The Robots: "Well it is prettier than Altered Beast."
    Sega: Fun, dearly missed, their shareholders must have been insomniacs, barking mad.

NTSC copy is even rarer. Jeremy Blaustein in an interview reckons that they sold less than 3000 copies. Did a lot better in Europe.

As for ripping off other sources, sure it's failed film director Kojima that wrote it. The man rips off so many films in his games, I'm amazed people actually think he is a great writer, the mans a total hack and the only reason some of his games come off ok is because he is working with some amazing localisers, who often have to fight tooth and nail with him to rewrite some of the worst dialogue. Still he does make some good games with interesting ideas and snatcher has some interesting ideas for a text adventure.

• Advertisement

Do you have an original PAL Sega CD copy? I think I remember you saying you do? They sure do go for a nice sum these days - a hell of a lot more than Panzer Dragoon Saga.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    NTSC copy is even rarer. Jeremy Blaustein in an interview reckons that they sold less than 3000 copies. Did a lot better in Europe.

Years & years ago, I was sent Megadrive, Sega CD, & 32X as an Xmas present with some games. One of the games was Snatcher CD [US]. I must have been about 15/16, played them all to bits & finished Snatcher.

About two years later, the PS1 arrived on the scene. Bored with the Sega stuff, I needed funds for a PS1. The rest is history :( If only I'd known then what I know now :mad:

Anyway...

Master of the Universe

The rest is history :(

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah Jaysus. That is one of the most awful examples I've ever heard of someone selling gear on to buy current gen stuff. You have my condolences.

Feck...a US one and all?

Feck....

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Ah thats terrible

Seriously considering dropping some coin on a copy, but now I want a USA one instead :P

*edit

Currently in talks for one at a nice price!

Master of the Universe

I didn't know the US one was rarer. Really dislike the look of US Sega CD boxes though. The patern down the side is just really awful and unnecessary.

Lovely -

Snatcherebay.JPG

Hidjus! -

segacdsnatcherfc.jpg

I like the long boxes though!

Master of the Universe

It's the blue and white stripe down the side that makes me want to barf.

Plus the original artwork is square - so the long boxes are going to be cropped with bits cut off!

Just reading there aswell, It wasnt released on the Mega cd in Japan, I was full sure it was.

Anyone here ever play the english patch for Poilcenauts?

Just reading there aswell, It wasnt released on the Mega cd in Japan, I was full sure it was.

Anyone here ever play the english patch for Poilcenauts?

Yep, works a charm

Is the game all its cracked up to be?

• Advertisement

Snatcher is the best reason to break out the justifier light guns.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement