Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you refuse to buy in Lidl and Aldi....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

toexpress wrote: »
    Anything ... dreadful places we should all be supporting our local Irish owned business'

Aldi now works with over 89 Irish suppliers, with over 48pc of all grocery sales generated from products bought from Irish suppliers, producers and manufacturers.

That's from 2011, so probably more since

Irish owned businesses like Dunnes?
    Dunnes Stores, which sources milk outside the Republic for its private label milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Shenshen wrote: »
    Everything, apart from meat (since we're both vegetarian).

I do prefer the fruit and veg in Lidl, and I absolutely adore their fresh-baked bread and pastries.
    I buy all our cleaning products and toiletries in Aldi, though, as they guarantee that none of their own brand products and none of the ingredients are tested on animals.

Yes they are. All products that can come into contact with skin or potentially be ingested must be tested on animals. It's the law.

Companies get away with saying they don't go it because they pay another company to go it. So before aldi officially call the product there own they our source it for animal testing. This way they can get away with it because it's technically not them doing the testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Any perishable good really..

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Cat food not great, Grandos coffee from Dunnes beats their granulated coffee hands down

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What is wrong with the milk?

Buy it all the time and I can't tell any difference except that it's 20ct per litre cheaper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Lidl had some sort of muesli bars with chocolate on the bottom in a red packet, used live off them, no Lidl near us now though :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Irishchick wrote: »
    Yes they are. All products that can come into contact with skin or potentially be ingested must be tested on animals. It's the law.

Companies get away with saying they don't go it because they pay another company to go it. So before aldi officially call the product there own they our source it for animal testing. This way they can get away with it because it's technically not them doing the testing.

I smell bull**** here.

Sure products are often advertised as not tested on animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

Don't the Lidl condoms have the quality assurance symbol on them?

Yes, it's stapled on. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

harperlee wrote: »
    Condoms and wine, the condoms I wouldn't trust and the wine gives you the worst hangover.

-don't know about condoms, but agree about wine, in lidl :
    No matter how expensive it is always awful!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

murpho999 wrote: »
    What is wrong with the milk?

Buy it all the time and I can't tell any difference except that it's 20ct per litre cheaper?

Nothing is wrong with the milk and at 80c per litre if there was something wrong I'd still drink it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I only ever go to those places when they have mad wacky stuff that I will never use but really want.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 GMCED

toexpress wrote: »
    Anything ... dreadful places we should all be supporting our local Irish owned business'

Have to agree

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

It all comes out the same hole anyway.

Are we still talking about the condoms???

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Can't remember if it was Lidl or Aldi(probably Lidl) but their canned tomatos were very watery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Aldi irish angus beef brilliant, free range chicken excellent value, organic eggs taste yummy, roisins chocolate very decadent. We buy most of our shop there just pizza, and a few branded products bought in Dunnes. Hubbie last week did a very small full shop in Dunnes and it cost €80 + this week a big shop in Aldi was the same cost. In total our weekly bill is down over €60 a week and we eat better food.

Off topic, but am I the only one who cringes when I hear this word?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Lets face it, 90% of Aldi products are probably better quality it's just we're to use to the muck we've put in our mouths all are lives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭harperlee

Aldi or Lidl have special offers every week and this week it's a self propelled wheelchair!!!! It's 60 euros I think. For a start I wouldn't put my Granny in one cos if it's anything like the condoms it's ****. All sorts will be investing in one to roll up in one to get sick payments from the social welfare office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

No, but it's better than 'my fiance'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Don't know why everyone's giving out about Aldi wine - I often get an Australian Shiraz and a Gewurtztraminer both for like 5 euros and they're beautiful - also love their version of Baileys! Never had any problems :confused:
    I do most of my shopping in Aldi - bought everything from steak to beauty products and they all were just as good as any Tesco, big name or Dunnes brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Their cereal.

Aldi cereal is grand,the cornflakes taste the same as Kellogs and are a fraction of the price.
    Cereal in Lidl is rank.

Companies supplying Aldi & Lidl:

Aldi

Over 45% of all grocery sales at Aldi are generated on products bought from Irish suppliers, producers and manufacturers.
    Who makes Aldi products?
    Bewleys / Robert Roberts – all coffees and teas
    Natures Isle – fresh poultry, Irish Angus beef, pork, lamb, all sourced from RoI farms and Bord Bia certified.
    Irish Yogurts / Town of Monaghan Co-op / the Different Dairy Company – yogurts
    Odlums – flour

Lidl

Lidl say they are “committed to using as many indigenous suppliers as possible in the production of its own brand products.”
    Pat the Baker - granary bread and scones
    Johnston Mooney & O Brien - hot dog rolls and burger buns
    Olhausen – Premium pork sausages
    Irish Yogurts (Clonakilty) – Premium yogurts
    Town of Monaghan – Irish creamery butter
    Liffey Meats (Cavan) – fresh beef
    Cooley Distillery – whiskey
    Oakpark Foods (Tipperary) – Glensallagh streaky bacon
    Donegal Creameries – 1 litre milk carton
    Seerys (Carlow)– triple chocolate cake and luxury lemon cake
    Glenpatrick – Flavoured water
    Begleys (Dublin) – fresh fruit and veg
    The Scullery – relish (small supplier, relishes developed with Lidl)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056195473

• Advertisement

No, but it's better than 'my fiance'

"Hubby" is way worse than fiance. Sure what else are you supposed to call your fiance? There's never an excuse for Hubby though, ever.

Back on topic, Aldi do the most amazing balsamic dressing glaze thingy, so flippin delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Don't buy the cleaning products as they are ****e!

I recommended the potato gratin ;) delish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Beef from Lidl. Once chanced it and it was like the sole of a jackboot. On the hand the Angus steaks in Aldi are really good.

Some of those scary looking sausages in jars..Bockwurst or whatever it is they call them

Those glass jars with fishy tails in them :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

lidl sell franziskaner beer (for €1.70 a bottle) which is on a different planet quality wise to the likes of bud, heineken, carlsberg etc http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/142/1946

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

cymbaline wrote: »

Some of those scary looking sausages in jars..Bockwurst or whatever it is they call them

Those glass jars with fishy tails in them :eek:

Those products are pretty standard in European super markets to be fair and I've noticed that Dunnes now stocks them for Polish shoppers.
    Their medallions of steak is the one to get - melts like butter - if you think it's like leather then you're over cooking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I would find Lidl very hit and miss, some of there stuff is grand, an awful lot of it is rank though. Their beans are too sugary for example, lunchmeats are expensive and not that nice and their meat isn't the best either.

Aldi however is the ****, have yet to come across something that tasted like it was made cheaply.
    Try their Angus steaks. Best steak I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

Polish remover - doesn't work at all :-/

Ah I dunno about that, a good few of them are gone back all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

Caraville wrote: »

Ah I dunno about that, a good few of them are gone back all the same

It didn't work for my OH, had to resort to the other methods ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Did you use it on natives of the country Poland or on nail varnish?

Advertisement