Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you refuse to buy in Lidl and Aldi....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

Polish remover - doesn't work at all :-/

Did you use it on natives of the country Poland or on nail varnish?

Oh "scratchs head" well they need to be more carefull with advertising ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

You will find that they are Hunky Dory rejects - the quality is sh1t. imo

You think the largo foods manufacturing process that makes hunky dorys is so crap it generates enough rejected stuff to sell to aldi as another product altogether? And that aldi even need to buy someone elses rejects? Get real.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Irishchick wrote: »
    Yes they are. All products that can come into contact with skin or potentially be ingested must be tested on animals. It's the law.

Companies get away with saying they don't go it because they pay another company to go it. So before aldi officially call the product there own they our source it for animal testing. This way they can get away with it because it's technically not them doing the testing.
    Please quote that law.

In the US there is a category of ingrediants called GRAS "Generally regarded as safe."
    Stuff that's been around forever and hasn't caused problems, do you honestly think they stopped selling things like carrots or banned people using Vaseline on their lips or freaked out because sugar is actually a chemical - α-D-glucopyranosyl-(1→2)-β-D-fructofuranoside - until they were tested on animals ?

Of course not. Only NEW chemicals and substances are tested. If you make foods and so on from existing ingredients that are safe you don't have to test them

cba looking for the food ones, so here is the medicinal one
    http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/internal_market/single_market_for_goods/pharmaceutical_and_cosmetic_products/l21230_en.htm
    Notwithstanding the previous paragraph and without prejudice to the law relating to intellectual and commercial property, applicants are not obliged to provide the results of pre-clinical or clinical tests or clinical trials if they can show that:

the medicinal product is a generic of a reference medicinal product which has been authorised for not less than eight years in a Member State or in the Community;
    the active substances of the medicinal product have had a well established medicinal use in the Community for at least ten years, with an acceptable level of safety.

So if you would like to show us the "law"

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

xzanti wrote: »
    I love Aldi ketchup, probably prefer it to Heinz.. Mayo isn't too bad either tbh.

Yep, beats Heinz but not Chef.

Their beans are actually nice for the price, 29c or something. Came second in a taste challenge on the Consumer show ahead of Heinz.

Do a nice Irish wheaten scone as well.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Shoes, they always look crap :)

Food wise its fine, some stuff i wouldn't eat, but if it was for sale elsewhere I wouldn't eat it either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

Off Topic but,

That stuff I'm Lidl, Mixxed Up.... Some fair cheap stuff that is compared to Red Bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

One of them do a lovely sweet Christmas type cake, it's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

jpcarlow wrote: »
    Aldi pesto is fantastic

Agreed, it's the best pesto I've ever had that's not fresh. They do a "bargain" one but it's the "luxury" one (think it's called Genovese Pesto) that's gorgeous, and still only just over a euro for a jar IIRC!

I do nearly all my shopping in Aldi, I absolutely love it. The only things I don't buy there are shampoo and conditioner because I have a preferred brand, and also their moisturisers and washing tablets broke me out in terrible rashes :( The moisturisers are supposed to be brilliant though, I just have really sensitive skin!

Their fresh fruit and veg beats all the other supermarkets for price and quality. They've a great wine selection, I've even braved their vodka (€11.99 for 70c) and lived to tell the tale!

Edit: I nearly forgot, I bought tampons there recently too :D I was a bit hesitant but they were 89cent for 20, whereas Tampax cost nearly a fiver for exactly the same. The applicator was a bit fiddley but otherwise they did the job :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Irishchick wrote: »
    Yes they are. All products that can come into contact with skin or potentially be ingested must be tested on animals. It's the law.

Companies get away with saying they don't go it because they pay another company to go it. So before aldi officially call the product there own they our source it for animal testing. This way they can get away with it because it's technically not them doing the testing.

Er... no they're not. In fact, for the most part, testing cosmetics on animals is banned outright. However, testing the ingredients that make up a cosmetic product isn't.
    Most companies therefore can claim that their products aren't tested on aminals, but know full well that the ingredients are.
    Aldi have signed an agreement not to use any ingredients tested on animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Coffee, tea, ketchup, mayonnaise, cat food (nobody has told cats that we're in a recession). Apart from that I find most stuff is as good if not better than branded items.

My cats love the pouches and foils from Lidl but won't touch the Aldi stuff or Whiskas for that matter:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Aldi is amazeballs.. Ive recently got a car so I'm able to drive to these places now and we are starting to do our monthly shop in lidl and aldi before we hit up dunnes and Tesco to see how much we save..

The bratwurst from Aldi, (thick ones in a yellow pack) are amazing, their fruit and veg is awesome, and they do hoi sin spare ribs that rock the kasbah too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Off Topic but,

That stuff I'm Lidl, Mixxed Up.... Some fair cheap stuff that is compared to Red Bull.

Absolutely 100% +1to that- it is by far the nicest sugar-free energy drink available.

On topic, i don't particularly care for the weetabix clones in either place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭harperlee

The Wheelchair's on offer is what gets me. I brought my friend in yesterday to see it because they thought I was joking, we where in stitches when a little kid was begging his parents to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

harperlee wrote: »
    The Wheelchair's on offer is what gets me. I brought my friend in yesterday to see it because they thought I was joking, we where in stitches when a little kid was begging his parents to get it.

You should've broken the kids legs,then the parents would have to buy it.

Of course I don't condone this behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

I always get the veg there from now on,as the veg(the carrots anyway) in tescos goes off so quick and the smell is awful...
    Not necessarily a good thing! Fruit/veg with long shelf lives contain more preservatives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

whirlpool wrote: »
    Is there anything (food, booze, household products, shower products, etc...) that you refuse to buy in Lidl or Aldi because you believe they just aren't as good?

I don't buy anything in Lidl or Aldi, I'm not a peasant.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Condoms and wine, the condoms I wouldn't trust and the wine gives you the worst hangover.
    really? I've never had a hangover from their wine (and no I wasn't paid to say that lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

folamh wrote: »
    Not necessarily a good thing! Fruit/veg with long shelf lives contain more preservatives.

Or it could be the that they have a quicker turnaround time so their products are not sitting on the shelf as long as the others or that the Management have better rotating policys in Lidlo/Aldi?
    Not saying this is the case but its very possible :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Domo230 wrote: »
    You may not be a peasant but you are being silly by not considering shopping there.

Perhaps, I certainyl wouldn't purchase any food from there but I could probably get some things like fairy liquid, jax roll etc..

difficult to know what you're getting when everything is packaged the same, no colours, no ads, there's just no pop or zing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

The bread

Outrageous...! The bakery bread in Lidl is amazing.. Better than any bakery in Dublin that I've ever been to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Irish have a real thing for brand names, which is why we see some of the fairly daft comments on this thread and why it took a combination of immigrants and then recession for the discount chains to take off.

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Perhaps, I certainyl wouldn't purchase any food from there but I could probably get some things like fairy liquid, jax roll etc..

difficult to know what you're getting when everything is packaged the same, no colours, no ads, there's just no pop or zing

No it's not :confused: When's the last time you were actually in Aldi or Lidl?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

mike65 wrote: »
    The Irish have a real thing for brand names, which is why we see some of the fairly daft comments on this thread and why it took a combination of immigrants and then recession for the discount chains to take off.

I have to admit to having had a right laugh at several of my colleagues over that... they tried some of my lunches, asked me where I got the things as they tasted amazing, but when they were told that the food was from Aldi or Lidl they told me that they never would buy anything in there...

Well, good luck with the tasteless overpriced stuff that you buy "just because".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

After getting my tesco vouchers in the post today that amounted to the crazy amount of €9.50, I'll do what I have only discovered over the last 2 months and that is Aldi! Seriously though, I've bought more than I normally would from Aldi over the last couple of months and not once have I found any considerable difference. The spuds at .28c last week etc... absolutely grand. Not a single ounce of difference between Aldi and Tesco's/dunce stores.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I do all my shopping in lidl, except fresh meats and fish. Find the staff to be lovely and helpful, never had any problem with them. No aldi close to me but have shopped in the one in limk city, found it fine also. Personally hate Tesco, might go in there once or twice a year if really stuck.

The staff at the checkouts in my nearest Aldi (Santry) are by and large very friendly and they always have a smile for you. I was surprised because before I moved I only ever shopped in Lidl and I didn't find them nice at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bogof

Condoms and wine, the condoms I wouldn't trust and the wine gives you the worst hangover.

Their wines are frequently rated better than leading brands on various wine columns.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bogof

forfuxsake wrote: »
    Used to be but I am fast learning that much of the stuff in Alsi is better*

*Except Aldi potatoes, fúckin rank.

Always look at the variety name on the pack. Last week in Aldi they had Golden Wonders which werent great. However it is already the next potato season and you cant expect spuds to keep forever. I find spuds there generally are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Aldi nappies are excellent and great value, there is no way I'd go back to the leading brands after trying them. I have always been a bit suspicious of their's and Lidl's meat, but after hearing good reports on their steak, am definitley going to give it a go:). Got their cheese singles today, and Magnum washing up liquid to give them a try. Only 79c for the washing up liquid so if it's crap at least it's not broken the bank. Also got a net of 4 grapefruit for 1.49, about 60c each in Tesco. Lidl's Cien body moisturiser is one of the best I've ever tried.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Condoms

Advertisement