Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you refuse to buy in Lidl and Aldi....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    The cleaning products generally aren't as good.

Do they sell condoms? NO WAY am I risking cheapo johnnies.

i would imagine these cheapo johnnies would have to pass the same stringent test that any other brand would otherwise they wouldnt (couldnt)be sold

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

I've nothing particularly against the stuff in there.
    Nowadays all I would buy is steak out of Aldi, everything else I get in tescos or Dunnes these days.

Things i wouldn't buy if I happened ot be in there-
    Toiletries (all, incl soaps, they're not dear elsewhere for trusted names)
    Chicken breast (invariably have bones, cartilage in them)
    Cleaning Products, same as toiletries above.
    Soups or any packaged or tinned food.

Things i would buy there:
    Eggs
    Fruit
    Veg

-Strictly Aldi by the way, Lidl is like a f*cking dirty warehouse.Kip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

shamrock55 wrote: »
    i would imagine these cheapo johnnies would have to pass the same stringent test that any other brand would otherwise they wouldnt (couldnt)be sold

Imagination ain't gonna stop my OH from conceiving if you're wrong me auld flower...I'll err on the side of caution, thank you very much ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

I would buy fruit, veg, bread and dairy products. I haven't tried anything else there, definitely would not try the toiletries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 scarlett Pimpernel

I will only buy in Dunnes. I might go into lidl for a nose around but after five minutes i usually get annoyed and hate the small area ur given to pack ur bags. Extremely hard to manage if your there with a toddler. They have no decent hair products/ bathroom essentials etc. And no way would i feed my dog the dogfood there! My husband likes to go in and look at the deal section. nothing cud sway me from my lovely big dunnes in ennis!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chimpokomon

Lidl's grand. I don't understand the aversion to buying meat there, most of it's Irish anyway and often much better quality than Tesco. Theeir baked beans are rank though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I will only buy in Dunnes. I might go into lidl for a nose around but after five minutes i usually get annoyed and hate the small area ur given to pack ur bags. Extremely hard to manage if your there with a toddler. They have no decent hair products/ bathroom essentials etc. And no way would i feed my dog the dogfood there! My husband likes to go in and look at the deal section. nothing cud sway me from my lovely big dunnes in ennis!

You mean there actually are Irish shops that have now copped on and give you a decent size bagging area away from the till, like Lidl and Aldi have??? Wow.

That's one of the things that always annoyed me most about Tesco and Dunnes, they force you to pack your bags at the till, holding everyone up and never giving you enough room.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Surprised at the negative rep that their toiletries get.
    Aldi hair gel is better than any brand name stuff IMHO and their toothpaste, shaving foam, razors and so on are pretty awesome although their deodarant and aftershave isn't as nice as can be gotten elsewhere.
    Their sweets, biscuits, fruit and veg are all excellent and Lidl's thai barbecue sauce gets a special mention.

Best thing about Aldi and Lidl are Things You Never Knew You Needed where they sell random stuff like horseriding saddles or serious DIY equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

what a lot of people fail to realise is that aldi/lidi stock name brand stuff, the same as in Dunnes/Supervalue etc. Also, a lot of their product is the exact same as the name brand, same stuff, made in the same place, etc. - its just the packaging that is different.

Amazing how packaging can fool people.

Shenshen wrote: »
    You mean there actually are Irish shops that have now copped on and give you a decent size bagging area away from the till, like Lidl and Aldi have??? Wow.

That's one of the things that always annoyed me most about Tesco and Dunnes, they force you to pack your bags at the till, holding everyone up and never giving you enough room.
    Dunnes in my area has huge area, its brill u have loadsa times to pack. In lidl you have a tiny cramped area . unsure of ur point?

• Advertisement

Dunnes in my area has huge area, its brill u have loadsa times to pack. In lidl you have a tiny cramped area . unsure of ur point?

My point is that so far, I've only seen the large bagging areas away from the tills in Aldi or Lidl. Dunnes, Tesco and Supervalue generally force people to bag their stuff at the end of the till, creating unnecessary waiting times which annoys the living daylight out of me.
    But if your Dunnes has copped on and is providing a good large bagging area away from the till, good for them. It was a long time coming. :)

My point is that so far, I've only seen the large bagging areas away from the tills in Aldi or Lidl. Dunnes, Tesco and Supervalue generally force people to bag their stuff at the end of the till, creating unnecessary waiting times which annoys the living daylight out of me.
    But if your Dunnes has copped on and is providing a good large bagging area away from the till, good for them. It was a long time coming. :)
    cud actually just be my dunnes here! its really the best one i have been in!

you have the whole lenght of the shop to pack in lidl. You are not supposed to pack at the counter - you pack on the long bench beside the counter - you can't miss it.

you have the whole lenght of the shop to pack in lidl. You are not supposed to pack at the counter - you pack on the long bench beside the counter - you can't miss it.
    nope down here if you have a trolley full your packing on a tiny space and if u have kids its a nightmare. you have to pack as quickly as the checkout operator scans cos there is no room

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

You are not supposed to pack at the counter - you pack on the long bench beside the counter - you can't miss it.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do you move your stuff from the till/counter to the long bench?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do you move your stuff from the till/counter to the long bench?

In the trolley?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

In Aldi and LidlI replace my groceries in the trolley and pack it into bags when I get back to the car. It suits me fine.

you put you items on the conveyer belt - you move your trolley and affix it to the end of the counter where the till is - when you item is scanned it is placed on the end of the counter (what you think is the packing area). You put your items back into your trolley - you then walk over to the bench and pack at your leisure.

nope down here if you have a trolley full your packing on a tiny space and if u have kids its a nightmare. you have to pack as quickly as the checkout operator scans cos there is no room

you don't understand their system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

That does kind of annoy me - unless you are throwing the stuff into the trolley and damaging fruit and veg and bread etc. you cant keep up with the cashier anyway - it is as quick to put the stuff in bags as it is to get it into the trolley without throwing it.

Dunnes often have people packing the bags for charity at the weekend so there is rarely a delay - and if not, if you are packing as they scan the cashier will usually help you if you are not done by the time they finish scanning - so there is usually minimal delay. A lot of people will pack at the end of the belt in lidl/aldi too. The worse hold up in all places is people putting money back in purses/wallets and purses/wallets back in bags/pockets.

I would buy most things in Lidl/Aldi but I tend to shop in all my local shops to get the best deals and everything i need, some things are actually cheaper in dunnes/tesco. Tesco have started price comparing on the shelves. Monthly shop i go to Aldi first, then lidl, then dunnes. But when i just need a few bits I just go to the closest shop to where I am.

• Advertisement

you don't understand their system.
    I get you now! have to say dont like that system. find dunnes much better, you can pack at ur leisure and dont have to pack items into the trolley again and then move and then pack into bags. very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

In the trolley?
    you put you items on the conveyer belt - you move your trolley and affix it to the end of the counter where the till is - when you item is scanned it is placed on the end of the counter (what you think is the packing area). You put your items back into your trolley - you then walk over to the bench and pack at your leisure.

That's a bad process. Out of trolley - then back into trolley - then out of trolley again - then back into trolley again once packed. Too many ins and outs.

That does kind of annoy me - unless you are throwing the stuff into the trolley and damaging fruit and veg and bread etc. you cant keep up with the cashier anyway - it is as quick to put the stuff in bags as it is to get it into the trolley without throwing it.

Dunnes often have people packing the bags for charity at the weekend so there is rarely a delay - and if not, if you are packing as they scan the cashier will usually help you if you are not done by the time they finish scanning - so there is usually minimal delay. A lot of people will pack at the end of the belt in lidl/aldi too. The worse hold up in all places is people putting money back in purses/wallets and purses/wallets back in bags/pockets.

I would buy most things in Lidl/Aldi but I tend to shop in all my local shops to get the best deals and everything i need, some things are actually cheaper in dunnes/tesco. Tesco have started price comparing on the shelves. Monthly shop i go to Aldi first, then lidl, then dunnes. But when i just need a few bits I just go to the closest shop to where I am.

I cannot say I've ever had that problem. I tend to put items on the belt in the order I want to put them back into the trolley, and eventually pack them. Maybe I'm being too German there, but I find I'm usually ahead of the cashier with removing things.

Also, one of the big, BIG advantages of Aldi and Lidl is that there never ever are charity people stuffing your tinned tomatoes on top of your eggs and lettuce. That's a practice I've hated from the very start here.

I get you now! have to say dont like that system. find dunnes much better, you can pack at ur leisure and dont have to pack items into the trolley again and then move and then pack into bags. very strange

Well, you seem to enjoy the time you spend in the shop, so a system to spend more time there may be an advantage for you.

For me, I usually want to buy the stuff I need, and spend the least amount possible in the queue and at the checkout. Aldi and Lidl provide me with the quickest way to shop, pay and leave, whereas checkouts in Dunnes, Tescos and elsewhere have a tendency to drive me up the walls as people will take all the time in the world packing their stuff and making others wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Dunnes often have people packing the bags for charity at the weekend

I hate this, drives me crazy, things get thrown into bags, eggs at the bottom, heavy stuff at the top, shower gels upside down etc, I'll pack my own thanks. Also 'charities' yeah right, in my local supermarket they're usually collecting money to buy costumes for some local dance troupe or some nonsense.

That's a bad process. Out of trolley - then back into trolley - then out of trolley again - then back into trolley again once packed. Too many ins and outs.

Maybe, but it's quicker than anything Tescos or Dunnes can do for you, so I perfer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

dearg lady wrote: »
    I hate this, drives me crazy, things get thrown into bags, eggs at the bottom, heavy stuff at the top, shower gels upside down etc, I'll pack my own thanks. Also 'charities' yeah right, in my local supermarket they're usually collecting money to buy costumes for some local dance troupe or some nonsense.

a lot of them are really good, and if they arent as long as you are packing with them and watching for the key dangers its grand. Still faster than packing on your own. I'm quite anal about packing the bags and never have an issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Don't get this packing problem at all.
    I just try to put stuff on belt in an order.

So large items first and breads & eggs last.

Go to end, as stuff is scanned I have the reusable bags open in trolley and pack as they are scanned, this way I usually end up at same pace as they are being scanned. Pay and gone, all very simple.

As for Supermarkets, with charity packers. Hate that, you feel sort of pressurised to do it and when you say 'No thanks' you have to pack your bags whilst they stand beside you and you look like a tight oul git.

Anyhow isn't there supposed to be new tech coming that you pack stuff into bags as you shop and the products emit a signal that is read as you walk through the checkout and you just pay and go? So no physical scanning?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kynzvart

I don't like their tea bags, coffee, and bread, but everything else is not to bad.I do my shopping in Morrisons or Asda, both of which are very good supermarkets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Dunnes often have people packing the bags for charity at the weekend so there is rarely a delay - and if not, if you are packing as they scan the cashier will usually help you if you are not done by the time they finish scanning - so there is usually minimal delay.

One of the great bonuses of shopping in Aldi/Lidl is the lack of these individuals at the weekends. On several occasions on a Saturday I've avoided Dunnes and Tescos for this reason alone.

Lidl version of TUC crackers are pretty good as are their low fat crisps.

Advertisement