Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you refuse to buy in Lidl and Aldi....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Coffee, tea, ketchup, mayonnaise, cat food (nobody has told cats that we're in a recession). Apart from that I find most stuff is as good if not better than branded items.

Is their heinz/chef (cant remember which, it doesnt bother me what I get) different that the same bottle in Dunnes or Tesco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

My wife had our first child in 2010. We planned to wait two years before our second. But thanks to lidl, our second is nearly one already. (not joking)

And? Even with perfect use, the failure rate on condoms is still 2%, typical use failure rate is 15%, so it's not that shocking, and there's no proof this brand of condom was the issue.
    I've used Lidl condoms...Mondos, why did they have to call them that?!!! The only thing I've found so far that I'd avoid is Aldi mayonaise, very watery stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

mummymoo wrote: »
    the only thing i dont buy in there is shampoo (because they dont sell the one i use) and nappies, there shocking! everything else is great!

Bollox, Lidl pull up nappies are the best you can buy. Hold more piss than a camel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

dearg lady wrote: »
    And? Even with perfect use, the failure rate on condoms is still 2%, typical use failure rate is 15%, so it's not that shocking, and there's no proof this brand of condom was the issue.
    I've used Lidl condoms...Mondos, why did they have to call them that?!!! The only thing I've found so far that I'd avoid is Aldi mayonaise, very watery stuff.

Dearg lady has a mickey, na na, na na na :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CinammonGirl

Lidl: toilet paper and cleaning stuff.
    Their bakery breads and cakes are lovely.
    Don't shop in Aldi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Ghandee wrote: »
    Dearg lady has a mickey, na na, na na na :pac:

shhhhhhhhhhh! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Johnny Derpp

****in bin liners. They'd rip like a twinks arse at an anal party.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

all meat and frozen stuff veg.

Aldi has some of the best steaks and freshest veg going - and much cheaper than competitors (i.e. other supermarkets not butchers or green grocers

Some of the wines are also brilliant despite the price and have been recommended by friends working in that area

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

I wouldn't buy the bread in lidl anymore. Green packet, if that makes a difference?!!

I left it in my press for a couple of weeks. It was hidden by cereal boxes.
    Anyways after two weeks you'd expect it to walk out of the press and put itself into the bin it would be that manky...
    It looked like I'd just bought it the day before...
    Makes you question what preservatives they put into it

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

a fat guy wrote: »
    Yeah.

Buy one, get a child free!

I've used them in the past.

Saying that I spent a good while googling them first. They've never split like Durex.

I'm earning again so its back to name brand! All I can think of now is people secretly sniggering at us when we did buy them. No babies yet!! huzzah! Poor people need love to!!

I will admit a few years ago a chap I was seeing produced a mondo.. I quickly gathered my things and left.

But to answer the question at hand - Tinned mushrooms, tinned peas, tinned hot dogs, Irish stew. Everything else is fair game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Johnny Derpp

Also, don't try to crack a joke with the girls on the tills.
    They have a face on them like someone just sat on their sambos.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Or your jokes are bad!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It all comes out the same hole anyway.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Have to say the staff in the Aldi I go to are lovely, always pleasant and helpful. Unlike my local Tesco where they scowl at you and talk over you to their friend on the other till and tut,sigh and roll their eyes if asked anything. Telco is the work of Satan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Which one is better then. Lidl or Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

I really wish I had a lidl or aldi near me...:( When I go to city centre I get some bits and pieces in aldi but as I dont drive I cant carry half of the stuff I want... Most of the time its superquinn though... Just because its in the same bulding where I live so I save on the luas ticket...:o

Few years back i used to buy some cheap wine from lidl...I liked the taste and it was just a fiver...:D Now husband is italian and knows his wine so Im not allowed lidl wine anymore...:p Also bought a bottle of sambuca there once! Just remembered now! Good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I buy from every food group in aldi and lidl.

However i dont buy my beef from Lidl. Just dont like it as much as aldi

Have to say... Massive difference in shopping since i started.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

Also bought a bottle of sambuca there once! Just remembered now! Good stuff!

Must have been rocket fuel if you just remembered it now :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

thomasm wrote: »

Aldi - no contest

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

thomasm wrote: »

Aldi - no contest[/

No difference. Same suppliers . Similar stock range etc.
    They are both owned by brothers who split and went there own way goin into direct competition with each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Aldi irish angus beef brilliant, free range chicken excellent value, organic eggs taste yummy, roisins chocolate very decadent. We buy most of our shop there just pizza, and a few branded products bought in Dunnes. Hubbie last week did a very small full shop in Dunnes and it cost €80 + this week a big shop in Aldi was the same cost. In total our weekly bill is down over €60 a week and we eat better food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

They are both owned by brothers who split and went there own way goin into direct competition with each other.

:D

Aldi is owned by two brothers, who are now retired. They divided it in to Aldi Nord & Aldi Sud because they disagreed whether or not to sell cigarettes

Lidl is a separate company

I'd buy most stuff, apart from some of the tinned veg, sausages etc..but I wouldn't buy them anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Aldi - no contest[/

No difference. Same suppliers . Similar stock range etc.

Ahaha. Gotta love Internet myths. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Nothing. The milk is rank. Cakes and biscuits are dry and sickly sweet. Coffee is rank. The washing powder makes the clothes smell funny.

I did a price comparrison before. Every branded product in lidl and aldi was more expensive than the same branded product in tesco. Tesco always have offers on and their products are often cheaper than lidl or aldi. Plus tesco take coupons.

I found most of the checkout staff to be rude and Theres no baskets!!In my local Supervalu and tesco all the staff are lovely and will always help elderly people with their shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

Anything ... dreadful places we should all be supporting our local Irish owned business'

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Everything, apart from meat (since we're both vegetarian).

I do prefer the fruit and veg in Lidl, and I absolutely adore their fresh-baked bread and pastries.
    I buy all our cleaning products and toiletries in Aldi, though, as they guarantee that none of their own brand products and none of the ingredients are tested on animals.

I never understood people buying branded products... Why waste the money for a pretty picture on the box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

DarkJager wrote: »
    Perlenbacher (beer). It's the devils own piss in a bottle. Drank 6 of them last week and woke up the next morning feeling like I'd been on a 3 day binge.

good stuff so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

****in bin liners. They'd rip like a twinks arse at an anal party.

Wouldn't quite put it that way but, must admit, you are in fact correct!

About the only thing I wouldn't buy, apart from the aforementioned bin liners/Twink Innards, would be washing powder/softener, when I started shopping there first and tried these my daughter asked me not to buy them again as our clothes smelled like Grandad:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Aldi pesto is fantastic

there was an aldi right beside my uni, did my shoppin in there and saved a bunch and the quality was great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

What is this lidl/aldi? :D

Advertisement