Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council - Bin Collection Privatised/Greyhound Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

siggyc wrote: »
    I've been trying to get my old bins collected by Dublin City Council and Greyhound for over 2 months now. DCC are washing their hands of it. Greyhound promise to collect them but never turn up. Has anyone managed to get their bins collected by these cowboys?

Maybe we should all just dump their bins outside Greyhound, or even better the DCC offices!

In the same boat. I've emailed DCC to ask them to collect, but they say it's Greyhound who collect the old bins. I don't have room outside my house for all this cr*p! Any info would be great, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭vikingdub

olaola wrote: »
    In the same boat. I've emailed DCC to ask them to collect, but they say it's Greyhound who collect the old bins. I don't have room outside my house for all this cr*p! Any info would be great, thanks :)

Dump them outside John Tierney's house (Dublin City Manager, salary €190,000 +).

However you will have to travel as he does not live with in the area he "manages".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Ok, managed to get through to Greyhound. I had to pay €6 for a lift in Jan (when I wasn’t even aware that Greyhound were our waste management suppliers!!) but I wasn’t bothered arguing – I just want to get the bins removed.

They said the bins will be collected within 10 days. Not sure if I have to leave them out front or what. We don’t really have the room to have them hanging around outside for 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

Ok,

Had the same problems myself but finally managed to get sorted.

Basically I had a half full brown bin as they hadn't collected it on their last run but they were refusing to collect it claiming I owed them é6 from my last black bin collection, I agreed to pay this and then they claimed that I would have to register for 6 months é50 to have the brown bin collected as they had carried out my last lift while I was out of contract. Words were exchanged and I informed them that I couldn't actually be responsible for this lift as if I was out of contract it would have been illegal and if they expected payment for this collection then they were in fact liable to collect my brown.

Basically put everything in writing and copy in dublin city waste, they might have sold on the business but there has to be some liability accepted between the two businesses.

I will post my correspondance from them tomorrow from work!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

All three shops near my house (D8) say they haven't been delivered any greyhound bintags, and don't know when they can get them in. They all said that the company had been a nightmare to deal with.

How in the name of god did they get this contract? Seem like a bunch of amateurs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Tusky wrote: »

How in the name of god did they get this contract? Seem like a bunch of amateurs.

An "expert" consultancy firm was paid a lot of tax payers money by an unelected city manager to give the nod to greyhound. They were apparently more expert than the biggest waste provider in the state and went through an exhaustive process to choose from a tiny handful of possible companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

From: Barbara Hooton [mailto:Barbara.Hooton@GreyhoundRecycling.com]
    Sent: 27 March 2012 10:57
    To: Meehan, Pat (IE - Dublin)
    Subject: RE: Removal of Bins

Mr Meehan,
    Thank-you.
    Due to misinformation your received I have credited your account with €6.
    I can arrange for the bins to be removed if you can leave them in your garden.
    Alternatively you can avail of our 50-50 option whereby you have the option to pay your Annual Service Charge in two instalments when you sign up for Automatic Top Up. You pay €50 upfront now and defer the second payment until July 1st 2012.

Kind Regards
    Barbara Hooton
    Greyhound Customer Care Supervisor

From: Meehan, Pat (IE - Dublin) [mailto:pameehan@deloitte.ie]
    Sent: 27 March 2012 10:17
    To: Barbara Hooton

Good morning,

My address is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Regards,

Pat Meehan

From: Barbara Hooton [EMAIL="[mailto:Barbara.Hooton@GreyhoundRecycling.com]"][mailto:Barbara.Hooton@GreyhoundRecycling.com][/EMAIL]
    Sent: 27 March 2012 09:39
    To: Meehan, Pat (IE - Dublin)
    Subject: FW: Removal of Bins

Mr Meehan,

Thank-you for your recent correspondence.

Can you please confirm your address to allow me investigate your correspondance?

Kind Regards
    Barbara Hooton
    Greyhound Customer Care Supervisor

Sent: 22 March 2012 12:21
    To: Dublin City DCC
    Cc: Waste Management

Good morning,

I have had two conversations with your customer service department, firstly yesterday with a lady named Deidre who was to e-mail me back(and failed to do so) on this address to begin correspondence in writing as I feel this issue will not be easily resolved and secondly today with a lady named Emma who asked me to e-mail this address.

I changed to an alternative service provider in February as I felt the initial €100 fee from Greyhound was more than I could afford at that time, I posted a letter to your company at the beginning of February outlining my intentions and requesting that you remove the bins in place.

As this has still not progressed I e-mailed Dublin City Waste and they informed me that you were responsible for the removal of said bins.

I contacted your office yesterday and informed Deidre that I required the bins to be removed and she informed me that there was an outstanding balance of €6 for a collection at the end of January which must be paid first. Obviously I would have no issue with this but when I informed her that my brown bin had not been collected in the last few weeks(last few weeks of Greyhounds service in January) and therefore had waste in it she informed me that this was due to the outstanding balance, I explained that this bin had been left for collection before the collection leading to the outstanding balance had occurred and therefor this was not a valid excuse.

I was then informed that I must arrange for this bin to be emptied myself before it will be collected which I argued cannot be my responsibility as this is now only the case due to Greyhound as a service provider not fulfilling its obligations in emptying this bin in January. The other option I was offered was to pay the 6 months standing charge to open my account and pay for it to be lifted. If I’m not mistaken I am being asked to pay €50 to open my account and then the charge for a brown bin so over €50 to have a bin collected that should have been but for negligence on your behalf.

Speaking to Emma today she informed me that the grey bin should not have been collected in January as I was not a registered user which leads me to ask the question, if I was not a registered user how can I be billed for this collection and if I am expected to pay for it then Greyhound should surely be obliged to rectify the situation with my brown bin?

Throughout this process Greyhound have made no contact regarding the outstanding amount which I have never been made aware of and when I questioned this I was informed that it is not practice for them to contact customers regarding outstanding debt!

I have copied Dublin City Waste management as I believe that this issue had to be sorted out one way or another and as I have stated my willingness to pay for waste collections carried out the onus lies on the service provider to bring closure to this issue.

Regards,

Mr X

From: Waste Management [EMAIL="[mailto:waste.management@dublincity.ie]"][mailto:waste.management@dublincity.ie][/EMAIL]
    Sent: 14 March 2012 14:22
    To

Dear Mr.x,

You will need to contact Greyhound Recycling to arrange to have your bins removed, telephone 1890 98 99 98.

Regards,

Jennifer Graham,
    Waste Management Services
    Sent: 12 March 2012 13:38
    To: Waste Management
    Subject: Removal of Bins

Good afternoon,

I wonder if you could please direct me to someone with regards having my old bins removed from my house.

I live in Drimnagh and decided not to change over to Greyhound as I felt the process was quite heavy handed. I have sent a letter to terminate my account 6 weeks ago and requested that the bins be removed but have as of yet received no response. I had also called Greyhound as the brown bin at the premises was not collected on the last run before my termination so is still half full.

I would appreciate any assistance with this matter.

Kind regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

All three shops near my house (D8) say they haven't been delivered any greyhound bintags, and don't know when they can get them in. They all said that the company had been a nightmare to deal with.

My mother has the same issue (Spar, Londis, Scoops no luck) - she ended up getting them in the Post Office...

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

I went to Centra, Supervalu, TWO Londis' and Tesco and none of them had the bin stickers. I eventually found bin stickers in a little shop near the quays, and they are not Greyhound bin stickers. Greyhound apparently outsourced the bin collection to a small company called 'Abbey Waste', and they only collect once a week. So now I have a stinking bin bag stinking up my tiny apartment and I can't put it outside till Friday. I hate Greyhound so much, I want to just leave the bin bag outside on the street and see if it will be picked up with no sticker. I mean they NEVER even sent out a notice to say that I wouldn't be able to get bin stickers anywhere and that it was a different company with a different pick up date. They don't even say it on their website!

Also I emailed them SIX weeks ago for recycling bags to be sent out. I rang them numerous times, emailed them also and they kept saying that I was a priority and that they have marked it as urgent that I get them and still no flippin' bags, I am raging, I think I would actually be tempted to throw all my rubbish at their headquarters, wherever they are. They are SO SO unprofessional and unbelievably awful. I am so ANGRY:mad::mad::mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I contacted them again today for the fifth time since January on the same issue. The girl I was talking to was fairly rude this time. She kept trying to hang up on me and I had to keep telling her that I wasn't finished yet!!

She guaranteed that the issue will be sorted out this week and that I will be receiving a call from her manager tomorrow morning. Hmmmmmmm

From their website have you seen their 4 promises?
    1. Polite & Courteous staff
    2. Innovative Customer Communication
    3. We Recycle More
    4. Value For Money
    That gave me a giggle:D

If anyone calls them the options you want are 6 then 7. They keep changing their menu though so this might not work for long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Having the same trouble trying to get them locally. What a shower of useless muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

ethernet wrote: »
    Having the same trouble trying to get them locally. What a shower of useless muppets.

I ended up getting them from the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Roguery

None of the shops around Portobello have them - the post office woman says she's happy to see all the new customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Centra at the Rialto roundabout had them the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Frack

There have been bins sitting on our road in D8 for weeks that have not been collected, I had to ring them twice to get them (greyhound) to collect the recycling bins that were sitting on our road for three weeks, can't get any tags in any of the local shops - the post office is not convenient for the hours and i work! Fcuk you DCC for not overseeing this properly as it has been an absolute mess so far.

Does anyone know if you can buy the tags online? I can't seem to find any info on this?

Sorry for the rant but I couldn't get any tags this evening after checking 5 local shops

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Frack wrote: »
    There have been bins sitting on our road in D8 for weeks that have not been collected, I had to ring them twice to get them (greyhound) to collect the recycling bins that were sitting on our road for three weeks, can't get any tags in any of the local shops - the post office is not convenient for the hours and i work! Fcuk you DCC for not overseeing this properly as it has been an absolute mess so far.

Does anyone know if you can buy the tags online? I can't seem to find any info on this?

Sorry for the rant but I couldn't get any tags this evening after checking 5 local shops

May I suggest for anyone having issues a poilite mail to their local councillor to vent your frustration and ask them which way they voted on the transfer to greyhound

For your convenience http://www.dublincity.ie/YourCouncil/Councillors/YourLocalCouncillors/Pages/FindYourLocalCouncillorsHome.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Cheezypuf

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    May I suggest for anyone having issues a poilite mail to their local councillor to vent your frustration and ask them which way they voted on the transfer to greyhound

According to my councillor, they didn’t get an opportunity to vote on this: the City Manager made the decision and oversaw the implementation himself.

Cheezypuf wrote: »
    According to my councillor, they didn’t get an opportunity to vote on this: the City Manager made the decision and oversaw the implementation himself.

That is serious buck passing. Surely if they were so concerned about it they would have kicked up a fuss. Instead there has been barely a whimper from any of them.

Reminds me of Harney's standard response 'I'll refer that to the HSE'

I would suggest if it was the case that they did not vote on it that they were happy not to have to deal with it

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

In fairness to the City Council elected Members, they did kick up a fuss.
    I saw the full Council meeting on a webcast from the DCC website and it was evident that the City Manager and his many Sub-City-Managers were able to run rings around the Councillors who, it seemed to me, performed very poorly and seemed to be fairly powerless anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Can you just buy the bin tags separately or do you need to be registered and have the €100 paid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Anyone know what other companies are offering collection services on de noirtsoide (dublin 11) :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bambi wrote: »
    Anyone know what other companies are offering collection services on de noirtsoide (dublin 11) :confused:
    Pretty sure Oxigen are.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'd had a look on their website a while before and it didnt even mention dublin as a collection areas :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yeah, it's only recently they are doing the northside, afaik.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I got a bill from DCC today from the period October 2011 to Jan 2012. It says Thank you for paying by direct debit" Good luck with that I cancelled my direct debit back in January ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭brennan1979

Since privatisation, the bin collection service in our area has been an absolute disaster. I live on a laneway near the Grand Canal and when Dublin City Council were organising the service all the householders would leave their black bags at the end of the lane on a Thursday night and they would be gone the next morning. The following Thursday, we would leave out our green bags and they would be gone the next morning.
    Since privatisation, there are bags of rubbish, black and green, left at the end of our lane everyday of the week. When Greyhound will arrive, and if they will actually collect them when they do eventually arrive, is like the finding out the third secret of Fatima. All along Harolds Cross Road and Clanbrassil Street there is rubbish left out uncollected everyday of the week. Dogs get into the uncollected rubbish and it ends up strewn all over the roads.
    Shane Ross brought up Greyhounds track record in overcharging semi - state companies in the Dáil and in print. How did this company ever get a contract to handle residential waste in Dublin? All the arguments opponents of privatisation raised seem to have unfortunately come to pass. We now have an expensive, inefficient and unreliable bin service that is incredibly getting a massive subsidy from the Irish taxpayers. It defies logic. So much of the propaganda that preceded bin charges and privatisation revolved around the argument that this new service would be more environmentally friendly. The fact that much of Dublin now looks like a rubbish dump makes a nonsense of this claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

'michael.buckley@greyhoundrecycling.com'

Here is the CEO of greyhound.

I had issues and sent him a mail.
    He didnt reply
    So I sent a second mail and blasted him from a height about his attitude and it was no wonder the rest of his staff didnt give a **** if he didnt.

Had a reply within an hour, and got sorted

Mail him people

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I just got a bill from DCC for collections from Oct 2011 to Jan 2012. It's going to the very bottom of my pile of bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

jos28 wrote: »
    I just got a bill from DCC for collections from Oct 2011 to Jan 2012. It's going to the very bottom of my pile of bills.
    BIN it :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭stephen97

HEY GUYS I JUST GOT A CHARGE FROM GREYHOUND FOR OCTOBER 2011 T0 JANUARY 2012, I HAVE PAID MY 100 EURO CHARGE THIS YEAR TO GREYHOUND AND LAST TO DCC.
    GREYHOUND ONLY TOOK OVER 1ST JANUARY THIS YEAR, SO IS THIS A LEGITIMATE BILL?
    OR JUST GREYHOUND CHANCING THEIR ARM FOR MY MONEY?

Advertisement