Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers (2012) *spoilers from post 1181*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

He'll have to do the trilogy like Nolan and then leave it at that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭KirkCheated09

Hey did anybody see Stan Lee in the film? I was looking out for him as I knew he'd be in somewhere. I thought it was clever how he was added into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Hey did anybody see Stan Lee in the film? I was looking out for him as I knew he'd be in somewhere. I thought it was clever how he was added into it.
    He was in a news segment at the end..

I'm sick of Stan Lee cameos to be honest... serious overkill at this stage!

Basq wrote: »
    He was in a news segment at the end..

I'm sick of Stan Lee cameos to be honest... serious overkill at this stage!

I know I saw it :) .. Sick of him? .....If I created half the characters and wrote the comics, I would ask to be in the films.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

I know I saw it :) .. Sick of him? .....If I created half the characters and wrote the comics, I would ask to be in the films.

Doesn't mean people would enjoy it though

• Advertisement

Doesn't mean people would enjoy it though

They got a ****load of people for the news segment, what bother to anybody is it that Stan Lee was one of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

They got a ****load of people for the news segment, what bother to anybody is it that Stan Lee was one of them?

I suppose the novelty has worn off and seeing the creator of the characters in a film AGAIN is almost like breaking the fourth wall at this point. It's just an irritating distraction from where I'm sitting. Thankfully they are extremely short cameos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

Stan Lee has long overstayed his welcome, having the same guy pop up in every film ruins continuity

ceegee wrote: »
    Stan Lee has long overstayed his welcome, having the same guy pop up in every film ruins continuity

There would be no films if it weren't for him.

Yes but he doesn't need to be in all of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

Same could be said of anyone who ever created a character that went on to be portrayed in film.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Second (very brief) post credits scene in the North American release, nice touch:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

That scene sucks serious ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Loved it. Who was the guy in the extra scene during the credits?

Can't remember if it was the same in the Iron Man films but I liked that fact that Stark was wearing a Black Sabbath tshirt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I presume much of the box office success is down to sheer demand and not necessarily the price of 3D tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I presume much of the box office success is down to sheer demand and not necessarily the price of 3D tickets.

Has to be demand. The last Harry Potter was 3D too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The 2d screening I went to was full. Granted this was on a saturday. But its amazing how many people who are going to see it 2 and 3 times. I plan to go see it again, and the last time I went to a movie more than once was... Star Wars episode 1(in my defence I was young, had money and time on my hands, and it was star wars on the big screen!)

Second (very brief) post credits scene in the North American release, nice touch:

Funnily enough, to celebrate my enjoyment of the film, I went and had shwarma after it. Also, because the restaurant was just opening that day I got them for free too. :D

Loved it. Who was the guy in the extra scene during the credits?

Can't remember if it was the same in the Iron Man films but I liked that fact that Stark was wearing a Black Sabbath tshirt.

Thanos, one of the most deadly (and most powerful) villains in the Marvel universe.

Would this movie be as successful if it weren't for the previous movies? I somewhat think it would have been - the opening weekend may not have been as strong, but it would have probably grown strength-by-strength over time, with people going back for multiple screenings, the way movies used to be, before a movie was ruled to be a box office success or failure based on its opening weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Would this movie be as successful if it weren't for the previous movies? I somewhat think it would have been - the opening weekend may not have been as strong, but it would have probably grown strength-by-strength over time, with people going back for multiple screenings, the way movies used to be, before a movie was ruled to be a box office success or failure based on its opening weekend.
    yeah but it would have to be 2 if not 3 times longer in order to give each character a decent introduction, like the way Thor poped up in the avengers how would you go about explaining that in 10 minutes,

it would be a completely different film if you didnt have the lead up ones, so no one could know if itd be more or less successful

when you look at some of the bigger opening weekends most are sequels, that's why Hollywood like doing sequels and reboots cause there big money to be made, spiderman is probably the quickest reboot ever so it will be an interesting one to see how it goes,

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

don ramo wrote: »
    spiderman is probably the quickest reboot ever so it will be an interesting one to see how it goes,

5 year gap. Same as the last hulk reboot. Can't think of any quicker ones myself TBH.

don ramo wrote: »
    yeah but it would have to be 2 if not 3 times longer in order to give each character a decent introduction, like the way Thor poped up in the avengers how would you go about explaining that in 10 minutes,

it would be a completely different film if you didnt have the lead up ones, so no one could know if itd be more or less successful

when you look at some of the bigger opening weekends most are sequels, that's why Hollywood like doing sequels and reboots cause there big money to be made, spiderman is probably the quickest reboot ever so it will be an interesting one to see how it goes,

I agree, for instance when they introduced Captain America, without the lead up film nobody would have understand how he was ''the worlds first superhero''.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Turns out Shawarma is that crap they have in Abrakebabra. I am disappointed. :(
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawarma

Galvasean wrote: »
    Turns out Shawarma is that crap they have in Abrakebabra. I am disappointed. :(
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawarma

"that crap they have in abrakebabra", you mean fast food? Yeah not really.

Thats like saying chinese food is basically chicken balls and chips with curry sauce.

Go to Zaytoon for good shwarma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Yes but he doesn't need to be in all of them

He is only there for about a second. Hardly worth getting annoyed over.:D

Bullseye1 wrote: »

That's exactly what I said.. someone sees sense! :L

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

That's exactly what I said.. someone sees sense! :L

Or there's more than one person that's insane. . .

Bullseye1 wrote: »

I'm not annoyed. I don't mind it too much and actually have a laugh at some of them. I've decided in my head that he's 'The One Above All' of the film universe and that's why he's always around :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

In fairness the cameo could only have been less subtle if Lee had actually winked directly to the camera after he said his lines. I have no problem with him getting a cameo but the funnier ones tend to be when you just see a 'blink-and-you'll-miss-it' reaction shot rather than an immersion breaking 'joke'. I forget which film it was - X-Men, maybe? - but there was one where you got the briefest glimpse of him on a beach, which was far more effective and 'for the fans' than any of his 'extended' cameos.

Advertisement