Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers (2012) *spoilers from post 1181*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭KirkCheated09

In fairness the cameo could only have been less subtle if Lee had actually winked directly to the camera after he said his lines. I have no problem with him getting a cameo but the funnier ones tend to be when you just see a 'blink-and-you'll-miss-it' reaction shot rather than an immersion breaking 'joke'. I forget which film it was - X-Men, maybe? - but there was one where you got the briefest glimpse of him on a beach, which was far more effective and 'for the fans' than any of his 'extended' cameos.

For the fans cameo's? I went to see the avengers with like 20 people only me and one other person saw him as were the only real 'fans' .. While I agree it was longer it doesn't mean everybody will and should have recognised/seen him.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I always have to point out the cameos to my mates, most of them haven't a clue who Stan Lee is, and if they do, they usually don't know what he looks like. I still think the best cameo he's ever done was in Mallrats :P

I used always look forward to the Bruce Campbell cameos in the Spiderman movies more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I think Lee's best Cameo was in Heroes where he was a bus driver. Iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Wow, the Avengers really must be good if the main complaint the film is getting concerns Stan Lee's 3 second cameo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

absolutely loved this, and will probably go see it again. just a quick question for anyone who saw it in 2 and 3D, what was the difference like?

I saw it in 3D (not by choice) yet I found it very good. I normally hate 3D, but I don't know if it was just cause the film was so damn good, but I really enjoyed it. now I'm not sure if I should see it in 3D again or go for 2D.

There were a couple of scenes where the frame rate crumbled, and my eyes were killing me, but I doubt I blinked much because I didn't want to miss anything :P

• Advertisement

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    absolutely loved this, and will probably go see it again. just a quick question for anyone who saw it in 2 and 3D, what was the difference like?

I saw it in 3D (not by choice) yet I found it very good. I normally hate 3D, but I don't know if it was just cause the film was so damn good, but I really enjoyed it. now I'm not sure if I should see it in 3D again or go for 2D.

There were a couple of scenes where the frame rate crumbled, and my eyes were killing me, but I doubt I blinked much because I didn't want to miss anything :P

Go see it in 2D. The movie was made into 3D in post production so no scene really benefits from 3D. If anything the 3D just makes some scenes a little less clear and darker. Definitely find an opportunity to view it in 2D. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Galvasean wrote: »
    Wow, the Avengers really must be good if the main complaint the film is getting concerns Stan Lee's 3 second cameo.

The main complaint? Nah that would be the narcoleptic pacing, generic alien threat, abandonment of key character and story elements, awkward opening act, relatively bland action punctuated by the rare moment of excitement or humour, Thor's anti-climactic arrival, a slightly wonky gap in the attention lavished on individual characters and overall a sense of hard-to-pin-down disappointment and the niggling feeling that there's a better and more distinctive film regularly threatening to burst out.

The Stan Lee cameo was still crap, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

... I have no problem with him getting a cameo but the funnier ones tend to be when you just see a 'blink-and-you'll-miss-it' reaction shot rather than an immersion breaking 'joke' ...
    I kind of like his Incredible Hulk cameo, but mostly agree.

I don't really feel it's worth getting worked up over though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Jernal wrote: »
    Go see it in 2D. The movie was made into 3D in post production so no scene really benefits from 3D. If anything the 3D just makes some scenes a little less clear and darker. Definitely find an opportunity to view it in 2D. :)
    I know yea that's why I was wondering. did you see it in 3D?

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I know yea that's why I was wondering. did you see it in 3D?

Yeah, and I had a bit of difficulty discerning some of the stuff going on in space at the beginning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The main complaint? Nah that would be the narcoleptic pacing, generic alien threat, abandonment of key character and story elements, awkward opening act, relatively bland action punctuated by the rare moment of excitement or humour, Thor's anti-climactic arrival, a slightly wonky gap in the attention lavished on individual characters and overall a sense of hard-to-pin-down disappointment and the niggling feeling that there's a better and more distinctive film regularly threatening to burst out.

The Stan Lee cameo was still crap, though.

Yeah, it's currently the main complaint since the last few pages have focused on it as opposed to the perceived flaws you have listed (I say perceived as I don't find myself agreeing with any of the ones you have listed with any great conviction).

From what I'm reading Hollywood seems to be insisting that the Avengers' success somehow justifies 3D, but it's a false dawn as far as I can see. I've read a lot of people on here say how their local cinema is not showing it in 2D at all and even the big cinemas don't have nearly as many 2D screenings. It seems more like a case of '3D Avengers or no Avengers' for many when they would prefer 2D. I'm certain if you had one 2D screening side by side with every 3D one the 2Ds would get many more bums on seats.
    Personally speaking, my local cinema (5 minute drive) was not showing it in 2D at all yesterday so my friends and I went to the next nearest one (15 minute drive) to get a 2D showing.
    If you look at today's Cineworld listings they have 13 3Ds and only 6 2Ds (and that is one of the better places for 2D). It's simply a case of the 2D supply not meeting the demand and people settling for the much easier to get (and also more expensive!) alternative.
    edit: Didn't Toy Story 3 make more money from 2D sales than 3D ones?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Galvasean wrote: »
    Yeah, it's currently the main complaint since the last few pages have focused on it as opposed to the perceived flaws you have listed (I say perceived as I don't find myself agreeing with any of the ones you have listed with any great conviction).

1,400 posts in I think you'll find nitpicking will begin to dominate ;)

The really meaty discussion is a few hundred posts back!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the Stan Lee cameos were fun the first time, now its just old, a legend he may be but theres no need to shoehorn him into every movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,058 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sorry if already posted Soundgarden song for the film

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Saw Avengers last night in 3D, that extra scene wasn't shown, stayed til they started playing Superman's music and the lights came on!

Was the new heel in the first extra scene in the credits Galactus? I don't read comic books so...

I'm very happy they got all of the character-building etc done in previous movies so this one is all action. You know the half hour at the end of blockbuster films that's all action, and that's the best bit? That's this whole film. Excellently paced as well. 2hrs 20 flew by.

I thought this was the best portrayal/use of Hulk on the big screen. I think he's best used sparsely for maximum effect. What was great in this film is that it didn't stay with a character for long, it moved to see what someone else was doing. Massive CGI action, all brilliant. Hulk smashing (esp with Thor/Loki) was just a joy to watch. Just excellent stuff. Mark Ruffalo played him really well, a man who's been traumatised by his affliction and just wants to maintain his peace.

I guess it's not a new, but it's my most pressing gripe about the film, is california surfer american dude Thor, with his hilarious olde-timey accent & dialogue. It's so horrible, it makes me laugh, and cringe. Maybe an English actor would've been much better suited. Or Triple H. A small point but Thor and Loki's outfit look really silly. Maybe i just need to get acclimatised to them more because I found them sticking out more than (equally silly) Captain A's outfit. Although a downgrade from his film's outfit, it wasn't as bad as i thought.

Not much plot/character development going on but this isn't what this film is about, and worked out the better for it. I thought the interplay between the heroes was great, as was them knocking lumps out of each other with their peacock displays of toughness; lots of fun. The alien beings were pretty cool (their invasion did look like a scene out of gears of war, complete with strategic cover!, and I loved the massive flying monsters.

I heard that there was a substantial amount cut from the movie - Nostalgia Critic mentioned that there were a few scenes that felt they were missing - like when people rally behind Captain and take his tactical advice, I agree. The other thing i agree with is that this is light-hearted comic-book movie, so although it's an excellent comic book movie, I wouldn't call it an excellent movie, because action/comic-book fans would have a hard time enjoying it since there's not much character building or deep themes being discussed (it's just the Avengers are here to save the day); unlike say in Dark Knight as they deal with corruption, anarchy, right/wrong etc.

Overall though it was a great experience, 3D was very subtle (i'm glad it was - this film shouldn't have the 'hilarious' stuff thrown at the screen business) and iSense was pretty cool. Looking forward to seeing it in 2D down the line; will definitely see the sequel when it comes out. Also looking forward to seeing the scenes they cut out. Thought it was excellently paced though, absolutely no fat in this movie, despite the run time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I guess it's not a new, but it's my most pressing gripe about the film, is california surfer american dude Thor, with his hilarious olde-timey accent & dialogue. It's so horrible, it makes me laugh, and cringe. Maybe an English actor would've been much better suited.
    You know he's Australian, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

1,400 posts in I think you'll find nitpicking will begin to dominate ;)

The really meaty discussion is a few hundred posts back!

I appreciate you are a mod, but i left after said discussion and come back to find the same arguments (as per your previous post) again.....you seem really really really annoyed that people are giving positive responses to this film here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

@jay, the villain in the mid credits scene is Thanos. ;)

Pter wrote: »
    I appreciate you are a mod, but i left after said discussion and come back to find the same arguments (as per your previous post) again.....you seem really really really annoyed that people are giving positive responses to this film here.

Not annoyed at all, first time I've mentioned any of that in quite a while. Actually genuinely curious about why people love this film so much, it's why I'm still reading and partaking in the discussion.

fonpokno wrote: »

Nope, that would be an equally hilarious accent though, straight out of Pugwall lol. I've never seen him before Thor, all I know about him was that he was at the spike video game awards and said he never plays video games, great.

Whats the general consensus on Cap's new outfit and how does it rank beside his own film's version?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I've heard a few complaints about Cap's costume in TA, it didn't really bother me but I preferred his look in TFA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

i loved it. really good. 2hrs and 20 mins flew by last night.

although i hate 3d. i would have preferred 2d.

btw how did Thor return considering the thingy from Asgard was destroyed in the Thor movie?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

kitty9 wrote: »
    i loved it. really good. 2hrs and 20 mins flew by last night.

although i hate 3d. i would have preferred 2d.

btw how did Thor return considering the thingy from Asgard was destroyed in the Thor movie?

It's suggested by Loki that Odin had another method to send him back. Something about conjuring dark energy. Thor needed the teseract to get back to Asgard at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Avengers Assemble is the best superhero movie I've Seen Since the Dark Knight!
    Quick Question My Pal's And I Have been Debating over Who Appeared At The End Of The Film. I Thought It Was The Red Skull however my friend thought it was marvels version of doomsday! Anybody know who it was?

Avengers Assemble is the best superhero movie I've Seen Since the Dark Knight!
    Quick Question My Pal's And I Have been Debating over Who Appeared At The End Of The Film. I Thought It Was The Red Skull however my friend thought it was marvels version of doomsday! Anybody know who it was?

Scroll up 7 or 8 posts to what Hansome Bob said ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Scroll up 7 or 8 posts to what Hansome Bob said ;)
    Cheers!

I forgot to mention, Alan Silvestri did a great job with the soundtrack. Perfect booming exciting comic-book score.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

fonpokno wrote: »

Nope, that would be an equally hilarious accent though, straight out of Pugwall lol. I've never seen him before Thor, all I know about him was that he was at the spike video game awards and said he never plays video games, great.

You mean you didn't know him from home and away?! :eek:

Blasphemy!! :mad:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

You mean you didn't know him from home and away?! :eek:

Blasphemy!! :mad:

:pac:

and kirks dad in star trek:D
    kitty9 wrote: »

yeah the bi frost isn't the only way in and out of asguard, Loki also hinted at other ways to get into asguard in Thor,

• Advertisement

I forgot to mention, Alan Silvestri did a great job with the soundtrack. Perfect booming exciting comic-book score.

Thought the score was the weakest aspect of the film to be honest. With the exception of the Caps theme is seemed largely amiss and not really hackles raising.

Advertisement