Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

OK have the Xperia S for a week now and here are my thoughts

Good stuff
    • Screen – amazing
    • Sound from both speakers and headphones is great
    • Well built
    • Looks great
    • NFC (still waiting on the tags to be sent to me but possibilities look endless)
    • Camera is great
    • 50GB free space on Box.com (online cloud storage)
    • Some great apps like Timescape, Liveware manager, Powersaver, TrackID,
    • Notification light is good.
    • Battery seems pretty good so far – getting about 18hrs of heavy first week use and tinkering (old HTC Desire would get just 24 hrs of use normally)

Not so Good stuff
    • The cover on charging port is annoying – also the charging cable is hard to push in and remove
    • The capacitive buttons take a bit of getting used to (they actually act more like hardware buttons and maybe that is a good thing but they take a bit of getting used to)
    • There is a bit of a lag when swishing between home screens
    • The Calendar and Contacts app are poor – very hard to come from great Sense UI on HTC to these as they are not good.
    • Seems to be a bit of a lag when pressing the app drawer and sometimes takes 2 presses to open it.
    • When scrolling up and down screens fast text gets a bit blurred (this didn’t happen on old HTC Legend or Desire)
    • The top right of my screen seems a bit unresponsive (maybe just my handset)

So as you can see its a bit of give and take with this so far. A lot of my gripes are around software so hopefully with ICS on the way they can be resolved. Other than that its a great piece of kit and I am still getting used to it and trying to get the most out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You shouldnt be getting any lag.

Yes lag is definitely present and is worse on the Xperia home launcher than it is on Go Launcher EX for example
    I really hope ICS helps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I'm a bit cheesed off that my device has developed that yellow tint issue! :mad:

Does anyone know anything about getting it fixed?

another tip to save battery is
    Settings -> Network Settings -> Mobile Network -> Network Mode -> select GSM only modes

• Advertisement

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I'm a bit cheesed off that my device has developed that yellow tint issue! :mad:

can you post a screenshot?

Sony will repair it for free, ~2wks turnaround time.

A few other things that annoy me are

Accounts and Sync - its really confusing. What is Facebook inside Xperia syncing if I already have Facebook sync. My Picasa albums wont sync and also instant upload to Google+ for photos only works 1 time in every 3 or so attempts. My contacts are mostly synced to a Facebook contact but only some are updating and the only way to get an update seems to be to log out of Facebook and back in again to see if it updates again

Also I hate the way the screen shuts off when I am on a call while in Car Mode – normally the screen stays lit so I can press mute etc if needed on the screen – now if I am on a call in the car and the other party hangs up then I need to press the power button to get the screen to turn on again

tui0hcg wrote: »
    can you post a screenshot?

The problem is with the screen on the device, so I'd need another camera to take a picture of the phone itself, but I don't have access to one now! I'll see what I can do later on.
    ED E wrote: »
    Sony will repair it for free, ~2wks turnaround time.

That's cool.
    Would I be best to re-lock the bootloader and put on the correct firmware again, before sending it back?

That's cool.
    Would I be best to re-lock the bootloader and put on the correct firmware again, before sending it back?

Fuuuuuuuuark! Mine just got a yellow spot on the top right. I could see it before when I tested it and heated to 40+ *C but this was when it was pretty cool. ICS is rumoured to be round the corner but I'm going to have to send it back :rolleyes:

They appear (based off Arc rhetoric) to not really care whats on a phone as long as it wasnt obviously overclocked, that said, for a few minutes work I'd do it. I'd wipe my phone before sending it anyways, dont want their techs snooping, so may as well while you're at it.

• Advertisement

Fuuuuuuuuark! Mine just got a yellow spot on the top right. I could see it before when I tested it and heated to 40+ *C but this was when it was pretty cool. ICS is rumoured to be round the corner but I'm going to have to send it back :rolleyes:

They appear (based off Arc rhetoric) to not really care whats on a phone as long as it wasnt obviously overclocked, that said, for a few minutes work I'd do it. I'd wipe my phone before sending it anyways, dont want their techs snooping, so may as well while you're at it.

Crap, bad luck man!

How can you find out the heat of the device? Is there an app? My screen only needs to be on for about 60 seconds before I start to see it. Bottom, just over the home button, very noticeable :mad:

Yeah, I think for peace of mind, I'll set it back the way I got it and wipe it! I don't have a kernel that supports over-clocking anyway, so no real worries there!

How can you find out the heat of the device? Is there an app? My screen only needs to be on for about 60 seconds before I start to see it. Bottom, just over the home button, very noticeable :mad:

There are plenty of apps, the only sensor in the phone is the battery, so its that temp you get rather than the core temp, but in handsets like this temperature tends to be pretty even all over. I use widgetsoid.

screenshot_2012-04-30_1937.png

Cool, I'll try that one anyway!!
    SetCPU used to show me a temperature on other phones I've had, but on this one, it just shows 0.0 degrees the whole time!

Has anyone got .73 firmware ota yet? Looks like other countries have it. I don't see it anyway

Some do, loads dont.

And simfree generics mostly dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Has anyone got .73 firmware ota yet? Looks like other countries have it. I don't see it anyway

Im on meteor bill and got it two saturdays ago

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Im on meteor bill and got it two saturdays ago

I am on Meteor bill pay too but got the phone in CPW. Unlocked and unbranded and I still dont have the update.

Phone is starting to annoy me now as its doing strange stuff. GPS keeps turning on and I cant find any app that requires it, phone wont go on to vibrate when its set to do so through Timerific app, screen shuts off after 15 seconds of inactivity if I am reading a webpage (I have set it to 1 min and on other Androids it would dim first before going off completely)

Onboard memory keeps spiking up around 80% also but then drops to 30% for no reason even though there are only a couple of apps running

maybe its time to do a factory reset and start again. I hope ICS is a better experience than this

I am on Meteor bill pay too but got the phone in CPW. Unlocked and unbranded and I still dont have the update.

THree branded, still 62.
    Phone is starting to annoy me now as its doing strange stuff. GPS keeps turning on and I cant find any app that requires it, phone wont go on to vibrate when its set to do so through Timerific app, screen shuts off after 15 seconds of inactivity if I am reading a webpage (I have set it to 1 min and on other Androids it would dim first before going off completely)

GPS: Thats an app triggering it, got facebook?

When you're reading a page I find it handy to just keep one finder on it, move slightly every now and then so it never sleeps.
    Onboard memory keeps spiking up around 80% also but then drops to 30% for no reason even though there are only a couple of apps running

This is a good thing! Android isnt windows, it tries to fill memory rather than leave it empty, its wasted empty. The apps that it fills it with are frozen when not in use so they dont use any CPU cycles, but are ready to go when you need them.
    maybe its time to do a factory reset and start again. I hope ICS is a better experience than this

ICS is designed for this generation of phones, unlike GB, so there's a good chance things will be a bit smoother.

THree branded, still 62.

GPS: Thats an app triggering it, got facebook?

When you're reading a page I find it handy to just keep one finder on it, move slightly every now and then so it never sleeps.

This is a good thing! Android isnt windows, it tries to fill memory rather than leave it empty, its wasted empty. The apps that it fills it with are frozen when not in use so they dont use any CPU cycles, but are ready to go when you need them.

ICS is designed for this generation of phones, unlike GB, so there's a good chance things will be a bit smoother.

Yes FB may be a culprit but I have that set to manual updates only so not sure what else it could be - Maybe Google+

I really hope ICS will be better as the software leaves me feeling hard done by and not in keeping with the really nice hardware

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Has anyone bought a case or cover for this yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Yes FB may be a culprit but I have that set to manual updates only so not sure what else it could be - Maybe Google+

I really hope ICS will be better as the software leaves me feeling hard done by and not in keeping with the really nice hardware

Stupid question, but how do i set facebook to manual update?

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Stupid question, but how do i set facebook to manual update?

Go to the Facebook app -> Menu -> settings
    Select Refresh Interval and set to never

Then each time you go in to Facebook app you need to manually update or refresh from the menu

• Registered Users Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Has anyone bought a case or cover for this yet?

Has anyone found some one selling any on the high street?

checked a lot of bricks and mortar stores but no luck finding a cover yet

was thinking of one of these

http://www.fone-master.com/product.php?pid=3576

or this

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/flexishield-skin-for-sony-xperia-s-transparent-black-p34433.htm

Nilkin all the way guys.

Nilkin all the way guys.

Any links to these cases?
    I am really looking for a gel case rather than a hard plastic one - gel seems to bounce better:D

Ah so its Nillkin and not Nilkin
    Nilkin all the way guys.

no wonder I couldn't find it:rolleyes:

Google does suggest corrections...

• Advertisement

Google does suggest corrections...

Who is to know Google is always correct with its corrections!

Just looking for a link to where anyone has purchased one of these and if they are a recommended seller etc.

Advertisement