Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I'm really stuck as to buy the one s or buy the xperia s. I'm thinking the xperia s offers better value for money as it is similar spec and cheaper.

Does anyone here regret buying it?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Who is to know Google is always correct with its corrections!

Just looking for a link to where anyone has purchased one of these and if they are a recommended seller etc.

/takes off troll cap

http://myworld.ebay.ie/busyduck/&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2754

This guy was who I got mine from. HK but quick enough. He was worried about the easter break causing it to be held up but it actually got here in about a week. Rapid reply to my messages too(I screwed up and sent it to an old US address instead :p ).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

mondeo wrote: »
    I'm really stuck as to buy the one s or buy the xperia s. I'm thinking the xperia s offers better value for money as it is similar spec and cheaper.

I don't regret buying it. I can't speak for the one s as I've never played around with one. But the phone is very good and a big improvement form the 3gs I came from.

Screen is as good as ive seen on a phone,

Speed for browsing the internet is impressive,

I've just started putting emulators on the phone aswell and I'm enjoying playing some classic games,

Speakers are good for playing music or listening to podcasts,

Hdmi to the tv so I can watch any media I have on the phone/youtube videos on my tv,

Ive seen people complaining about the capacitive buttons on the phone but after a day I have got the hang of them and don't find them annoying at all now.

Just my opinion on the phone but I am very happy with my purchase

Be good to see what improvements ice cream sandwich (android 4.0) will bring

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I don't regret buying it. I can't speak for the one s as I've never played around with one. But the phone is very good and a big improvement form the 3gs I came from.

Screen is as good as ive seen on a phone,

Speed for browsing the internet is impressive,

I've just started putting emulators on the phone aswell and I'm enjoying playing some classic games,

Speakers are good for playing music or listening to podcasts,

Hdmi to the tv so I can watch any media I have on the phone/youtube videos on my tv,

Ive seen people complaining about the capacitive buttons on the phone but after a day I have got the hang of them and don't find them annoying at all now.

Just my opinion on the phone but I am very happy with my purchase

Be good to see what improvements ice cream sandwich (android 4.0) will bring

Also coming from a 3GS and liking it so far,
    Wiimote and an Emulator is alot fun :)

I was in the same one x or xperia s dilemma and went for the xperia s
    1. its cheaper
    2. battery is currently better, who knows about the future
    3. its a good phone now on gingerbread and will likely get better on ICS
    4. Screen is just the right size, One X is a bit too big

Also turned off Gmail sync today and used only 20 percent battery in approx 12 hours today, i know its not purely related to that, but thought it was pretty impressive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

mondeo wrote: »

See my post #302

I wouldn't say I regret buying it (yet) but TBH I am not far off regretting it. Most of my gripes are software based so I will wait for ICS to see how I feel.

maybe I have a dud handset but its not been a smooth experience so far. Main issues I have lately are

Camera - its normally great but.....Press the button once and it takes a photo then for no resaon at all it randomly takes another photo 5 or 6 seconds later. some times no matter how many times I press it no picture is taken

Some widgets are freezing and I have had to reboot a good few times to get them back working

When I open a text from the lock screen then I sometimes get a black screen and only way of getting back to home is to hold power button for 1-2 seconds

phone has frozen on me 3 times in the first week and a half (a small gripe I know but it has never happened before on previous devices)

Lag between opening and switching apps and moving between screens is annoying - I get a lot of judder. Screens seem to chug along and some of my home screens that have folders on them take 3-4 seconds to populate when I move to them from another screen

Oh and finally - NFC tags still not arrived so thats got me mad too!

If I had my time over I dont think I would have been so keen to go for Xperia over HTC One S. Now I know the One S may have issues too but HTC just seem to make phones that work (maybe ICS has a lot to do with it) Price was a factor for me but for the few extra quid then maybe ONE S is a little better

Dont get me wrong as this is a great bit of kit and when ICS lands it might fix all my woes as spec wise, build quality wise this is probably better than the One S and the screen is amazing

• Advertisement

See my post #302

I wouldn't say I regret buying it (yet) but TBH I am not far off regretting it. Most of my gripes are software based so I will wait for ICS to see how I feel.

maybe I have a dud handset but its not been a smooth experience so far. Main issues I have lately are

Camera - its normally great but.....Press the button once and it takes a photo then for no resaon at all it randomly takes another photo 5 or 6 seconds later. some times no matter how many times I press it no picture is taken

Some widgets are freezing and I have had to reboot a good few times to get them back working

When I open a text from the lock screen then I sometimes get a black screen and only way of getting back to home is to hold power button for 1-2 seconds

phone has frozen on me 3 times in the first week and a half (a small gripe I know but it has never happened before on previous devices)

Lag between opening and switching apps and moving between screens is annoying - I get a lot of judder. Screens seem to chug along and some of my home screens that have folders on them take 3-4 seconds to populate when I move to them from another screen

If I had my time over I dont think I would have been so keen to go for Xperia over HTC One S. Now I know the One S may have issues too but HTC just seem to make phones that work (maybe ICS has a lot to do with it) Price was a factor for me but for the few extra quid then maybe ONE S is a little better

Dont get me wrong as this is a great bit of kit and when ICS lands it might fix all my woes as spec wise, build quality wise this is probably better than the One S and the screen is amazing

It does sound like you have a bit of a dud

Mine seems awfully slow to charge, how are others finding it in this regard?

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Mine seems awfully slow to charge, how are others finding it in this regard?

What charger are you using? The stock ep800(850mA) is slow enough, if you can get an ep850 thats 1.2 or 1.5A and a lot faster. Going to try mine on an ipad(1.2A) charger tonight to see how she does.

ED E wrote: »
    What charger are you using? The stock ep800(850mA) is slow enough, if you can get an ep850 thats 1.2 or 1.5A and a lot faster. Going to try mine on an ipad(1.2A) charger tonight to see how she does.

Yeah just read that online, im afraid of moving from the stock as it could damage the battery no?

Let me know how you get on

Yeah just read that online, im afraid of moving from the stock as it could damage the battery no?

Let me know how you get on

Yeah, I'm cautious of that too. In older cell technologies fast charging wasnt the best at all, with Li-ion and Li-Poly its not so bad. Lots of the HTC range with similar packs charge at 1A+ so I'm not super worried. Maybe in a hot climate but my room tends to be pretty cool.

• Advertisement

It seemed to take me 15 minutes tog o up a single percentagwhich is not good.

I have been charging at night so havent noticed it before,

will discharge over the weekend and try again to see what results i get

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I never bothered to take the charger out the box when I got mine. Checked it there and it's 850mA.
    I've been using one from an old sony ericsson and I just checked that. It's only 700mA. No wonder it takes so long to charge the phone!
    I'm gonna use the one that came with the phone from now on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

See my post #302

I have not had any of these problems so maybe you would want to get the device checked out.

I have mine about 5 weeks now and would be on it a good bit all day between texting, checking various football scores, looking at different sites and a bit of gaming when im bored. Then using it connected to the tv to watch downloaded content. Only thing the really annoyed was the battery life but I suppose it is no worse than the 3gs its just im on this phone alot more but it seams to have improved since the start.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Won this a few weeks ago. Arrived this morning so once I get home I'll be playing around with it. :)

have lock screen notifications set up as in screenshot

https://www.box.com/s/a145a97291dcb502bcd6

but the only ones I can see on the lock screen are text messages and missed calls

What should I be seeing from the rest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I've had mine a day and have problems with location services but googling it is a known issue and fixed in ICS update which brings a new kernel.

My last 4 phones were all Sony Ericsson/ Sony and this is the biggest problem I ever had so I'm sure they'll fix it. they have dedicated support forums that are staffed. Try looking there or posting to see if they can resolve your issues.

Anybody bought a usb battery pack for this? or can reccomend one?

Anyone know how to go back to stock launcher while leaving zeam or another installed?

Edit: it ok got it :)

Anyone know how to go back to stock launcher while leaving zeam or another installed?

You can change it from default application settings under application settings.

Still getting used to this phone but its been tough love from me.

Old HTC Desire was a great bit of kit and rarely gave trouble (bar the lack of space for apps)

This is still giving me grief and I think its all to do with software TBH. Examples of stuff that worked without fail on Desire but not so well on Xperia S are

Video - Sony camera is great but playback of a few samples I have done are stuttering and not smooth at all
    Video - saved files are showing in the Camera Folder and not Video folder in the Gallery
    360 camera pan - its a great camera and when it works in 360 mode its brill but 3 times out of 5 it stops taking the photo when I am half way through the pan.
    Just Dance 3 (Autodance) wont work at all and just seems to take hundreds of frames of video and store them as photos (may be related to above issue)
    Widgets freeze and cant display on the home-screen - only way to fix is reboot
    Lag between switching screens is a curse and not at all as smooth as my 2 year old Desire

I really hope ICS brings a big improvement or I may have to try to sell this as its kind of doing my head in at the moment

On another note - ordered a Nillkin Gel case so as soon as it arrives I will post my verdict

• Advertisement

Sounds like you really got a lemon man, shouldnt be any lag/widget fails.

Sony have always put the videos in with the photos, in sequence( DSC001.jpg DSC002.jpg MOV003.mpg DSC004.jpg).

Cant comment on just dance or 360 photos.

The stock camera app isnt great btw, it over-compresses, you're much better off with something with good camera drivers like Vignette. The ICS stock camera is much better so thats a probable improvement in the pipes.

Objective for today, get a replacement with an AB build code.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Loving this phone right now. Screen is amazing and it just feels great in your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

Objective for today, get a replacement with an AB build code.
    Did you get a yellow tint in your screen?

billbond4 wrote: »
    Did you get a yellow tint in your screen?

Yup. Outside 28 days so no swaps. Salesman asked me to call Tech Support to get a replacement code from them, their system said they didnt sell the phone, when they've stocked it for 2 months +. Well done three, well done.

Back to the x10 :( Lets hope to **** Fonmenders dont send me another AA cause I'll throw a fúcking fit if I collect it next week and it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

AA ?

BostonB wrote: »
    AA ?

The initial build, the one of which most get the yellow tint. Fixed from AB onwards.

I opened a ticket with Sony customer service and was told to send the phone to Fonfix in Sandyford for repair.
    Gone now since last Thursday and they said 5 to 7 business days for repair!

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I opened a ticket with Sony customer service and was told to send the phone to Fonfix in Sandyford for repair.
    Gone now since last Thursday and they said 5 to 7 business days for repair!

Tales on XDA of UK people waiting 3 weeks "for parts". Seems like Sony cant keep the new stock coming fast enough to keep up with the failing originals now.

Just recall them you stingy gits sony.

• Advertisement

Tales on XDA of UK people waiting 3 weeks "for parts". Seems like Sony cant keep the new stock coming fast enough to keep up with the failing originals now.

Just recall them you stingy gits sony.

I'd love if there was a recall, but Sony claimed that it wasn't a widespread problem! :mad:

Advertisement