Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Warrenty should still be valid for hardware faults. Is with HTCs bootloader unlock anyway

I would have thought so too, but apparently not.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

ED E wrote: »
    I would have thought so too, but apparently not.

Well then
    .I.. to sony :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

Can't you use the x10 Flashtool to get it?

billbond4 wrote: »

Yes, but warranty breaks and you lose DRM keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Yeah, you can do it unofficially. BUUUUT, it means unlocking the bootloader, which voids your warranty. And with the yellow tint issue I wouldnt do that.

Any idea when/if it will be out officially here?

• Advertisement

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Any idea when/if it will be out officially here?

Thats what I've asked three to look into:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056602102

It would be very disappointing if it didnt come out, apparently its a massive improvement in battery life

Yup. It wouldnt really surprise me if the lazy shítes let us just wait for ICS.

Yes, but warranty breaks and you lose DRM keys.
    Just reflash it when the official firmware
    is available and your warranty is restored

The ics for the xperia s will have a new kernel so it will be more of an update than the one the 2011 lineup will get

• Advertisement

Just reflash it when the official firmware
    is available and your warranty is restored

Nope. Sadly this isnt the case. You can reflash the proper firmware fine, but once you break open the bootloader, thats it. Cant be restored to its original state, warranty gone along with DRM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Nope. Sadly this isnt the case. You can reflash the proper firmware fine, but once you break open the bootloader, thats it. Cant be restored to its original state, warranty gone along with DRM.

What exactly is supposed to happen when this DRM is lost? I've yet to see any detail on this!

According to xda, the BL can be re-locked!

Yeah, the you can relock to use SEUS/PCC, but I dont know about warranty after that. I assumed it was still gone, but not sure now.

I'd have to read more on the DRM keys.

Why do you want to unlock the bootloader?
    Its not necessary if you want to flash using x10flashtool

Yeah, the you can relock to use SEUS/PCC, but I dont know about warranty after that. I assumed it was still gone, but not sure now.

I'd have to read more on the DRM keys.

Yeah, it's really not clear what relocking does. Maybe it just spoofs SUES and PCC to allow a firmware update :)

The DRM thing bugs me, cos I have already unlocked my bootloader, and flashed a generic .67 firmware, but I can't see any loss of function?

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Yeah, it's really not clear what relocking does. Maybe it just spoofs SUES and PCC to allow a firmware update :)

The DRM thing bugs me, cos I have already unlocked my bootloader, and flashed a generic .67 firmware, but I can't see any loss of function?

Try using TrackID :P

Try using TrackID :P

I did, the day I flashed it and also there to test again, and it works perfectly :D

I don't understand it myself! :)

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I did, the day I flashed it and also there to test again, and it works perfectly :D

I don't understand it myself! :)

Da fuq?

Are you on XDA? Could you post your config and info there and see what the devs say on this. Cause if A) I can relock for waranty and B) not lose keys I'll flash rooted .73 straight away.

Da fuq?

Are you on XDA? Could you post your config and info there and see what the devs say on this. Cause if A) I can relock for waranty and B) not lose keys I'll flash rooted .73 straight away.

Yeah, i'll post up the question later on when I get home from work in the unlock and relock thread, and see if this is normal.

Firstly, I thought the DRM maybe to do with stuff that you acquire from the PlayNow store, like music games and other apps from there, but as I never purchased anything in there, I can't really test that! Then I checked TrackID, which worked as expected. I also checked the pre-loaded 5 or 6 music tracks (not sure if they are DRM protected) and they played fine!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=25000066&postcount=184 - Got an answer from doom. Seems like its a win win. Going to flash 73 when I get home from work tonight :)

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm gone blind, but the reason I went with the .67 f/w and not the .73 one was that it was the pre-rooted one from Bin4ry.
    Are you planning to flash a regular .73 f/w or have you found a pre-rooted one? :)

I was considering DooMKernel which would root it automatically.

BUUUT, anyways, I'm an idiot, didnt cop the fact that my branding would prevent me doing it. Three branded = bootloader unlocking not allowed. Thus the Sonymobile service wont work.

Stuck waiting for three to push updates.....:(:(:(:(:(:(

I was considering DooMKernel which would root it automatically.

BUUUT, anyways, I'm an idiot, didnt cop the fact that my branding would prevent me doing it. Three branded = bootloader unlocking not allowed. Thus the Sonymobile service wont work.

Stuck waiting for three to push updates.....:(:(:(:(:(:(

Ah balls! :(

I got mine from CPW on O2, and it was sim free, so I caught a lucky break I guess!

Hopefully Three won't take forever with the firmware push for you!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=25000066&postcount=184 - Got an answer from doom. Seems like its a win win. Going to flash 73 when I get home from work tonight :)

Is this difficult? any risks?

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Is this difficult? any risks?

Read the thread, but to summarise:

There is a slim chance of bricking if you do something really stupid.
    Warranty could be affected, but in the past with the Arc Sony has honoured the warranty as long as you didnt break your handset with an overclock.
    You'll have to relock the bootloader to use official updates once more.

If you're reasonably good with tech this will be fine, just be careful and read everything before you start and dont skip a step.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

How does this phone sync music ect? Can I use iTunes or a similar method to the iPhone?

How does this phone sync music ect? Can I use iTunes or a similar method to the iPhone?

think its good old drag and drop, im sure there are synching alternatives out there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Google Music is what I use

Hi,

Got this today

Any tips on first time battery charging/set up etc??

• Advertisement

I got those smart tags in the post yesterday anyway!

Pretty handy little things!

Advertisement