Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEC SF: Clermont Auvergne vs Leinster; Sunday 29 April, KO 1600(CET); Live Sky Sports

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

durkadurka wrote: »
    The line out has defo not been right since thorn arrived.

Agree. Strauss has had some criticism here and he and Cronin both threw crooked darts, but the problems seem more than only the throws (but I'm not an expert). I've been hoping the underperforming lineouts have been just an off day, then another off day...

It's getting a little worrying now. Muller & Tuohy will certainly try to target it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

lologram wrote: »

The biggest proportion of lost lineouts seem to be for not straight. That's on Strauss or Cronin, not Thorn.
    3 not straight today. Iirc

1 was Cronin.

1 was straight but the jump was awful and it bent away. It was straight over the 5 though so shouldnt have been given as not straight.

The other was poor. But I do think that when the jumping is sorted the throwing will be better, a lot of these little errors come down to confidence in each other.

Since Thorn came in the lineout has really deteriorated. Thankfully its not a major part of our approach to games though.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

Agreed- is it coincidence that it happened since thorns arrival?

Well I'm not sure what's gone wrong with Strauss's throwing, but I don't think it really can be said to be Thorn's fault. For that matter, I don't think any of Leinster's other jumpers would have much to do with it. Thorn's arrival is an obvious difference but I don't think it follows that he's causing the problem.

Whether it's Thorn or it was Hines, they're standing in the same place. If the darts are more likely to be crooked now, then there must be something wrong with Strauss's mechanics and I'm sure Gibbes is working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

lologram wrote: »

The biggest proportion of lost lineouts seem to be for not straight. That's on Strauss or Cronin, not Thorn.
    3 not straight today. Iirc

1 was Cronin.

1 was straight but the jump was awful and it bent away. It was straight over the 5 though so shouldnt have been given as not straight.

The other was poor. But I do think that when the jumping is sorted the throwing will be better, a lot of these little errors come down to confidence in each other.

Since Thorn came in the lineout has really deteriorated. Thankfully its not a major part of our approach to games though.

I partially disagree on the last sentence, good lineout ball off the top in the opposition half is the perfect platform for one of those excellent set-piece moves.

Without that we are not as dangerous an attacking force.

Tox56 wrote: »
    I partially disagree on the last sentence, good lineout ball off the top in the opposition half is the perfect platform for one of those excellent set-piece moves.

Without that we are not as dangerous an attacking force.

Yes it has been a great platform for us in the past, no doubt. And I suppose it was today and against Cardiff so maybe things aren't that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

If anyone is watching the highlights, at 81m 10s Leo Cullen is head-charged by a long haired Cleremont forward who then grapples with Cullens head.

Leo is clearly stunned by the charge.

It was a cheap shot I thought because the ASM player was not helping the ball be recycled.

Poor form I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'd say it's just a case that with Thorn they need to shoot for a narrower window, which could be forcing some crooked throws. With Dev you can lob it pretty much anywhere you like and his condor like catchment area will take the ball.

Just one theory.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

We've been throwing a lot to the tail recently. Maybe its just that there is more room for the things to go wrong (wind catch the ball ect) when throwing the to the tail.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

How well the Leinster fans represented their province today. Despite being outnumbered 7-1 they made enough noise and colour to be heard all day. I watched the game in deepest West Cork and because i was wearing the colours many munster men stopped to congratulate the team and specifically the fan.

I personally was shaking like a leaf by the final whistle in what must be one of the most dramatic and incredible finishes to a game ive ever seen. Leinster have had some big days, been champions twice, once with an awesome comeback, but the gravity of what they acheived today, to go to the lions den and beat the Top 14 holders and leaders in their own back yard on the way to hopefully a third title in club Rugbys greatest test surely marks them out as the greatest side in the world club game at the moment and among the best ever. Days to savour, how fortunate we are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

First point, watching game again! we are killing SOB at the moment. He is an animal ready to go but getting killed and losing confidence. My thought are fcuk Kidney and his second rate management and keep SOB at 6. Time someone told Kidney SOB will never be a 7 and stop wrecking his game!

Kidney is a joke, Ireland are a joke! if IRFU want to stick with Kidney let them off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Big Nelly wrote: »
    First point, watching game again! we are killing SOB at the moment. He is an animal ready to go but getting killed and losing confidence. My thought are fcuk Kidney and his second rate management and keep SOB at 6. Time someone told Kidney SOB will never be a 7 and stop wrecking his game!

Kidney is a joke, Ireland are a joke! if IRFU want to stick with Kidney let them off!

Would you honestly drop him for Fez?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Ferris is better I think and I'm a Leinster fan.. If you want Sob in the side he has to play 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

He was playing just as much at 7 for Leinster lately too

Plus he was fantastic at 7 during the 2nd half, culminating in the match winning steal

Cannot understand these constant claims that SOB is not a 7! He is a world class 7.

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Would you honestly drop him for Fez?

No I wouldnt, Fez is pure class! I watched him yesterday trying to kill himself for Ulster! but I would stop fcuking with SOB game. He is pure class at 6 and the only reason Leinster are thinking about him at 7 is because of Ireland. Kidney has shown he hasnt a clue so Leinster should tell him to take a walk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Larbre34 wrote: »
    How well the Leinster fans represented their province today. Despite being outnumbered 7-1 they made enough noise and colour to be heard all day. I watched the game in deepest West Cork and because i was wearing the colours many munster men stopped to congratulate the team and specifically the fan.

I personally was shaking like a leaf by the final whistle in what must be one of the most dramatic and incredible finishes to a game ive ever seen. Leinster have had some big days, been champions twice, once with an awesome comeback, but the gravity of what they acheived today, to go to the lions den and beat the Top 14 holders and leaders in their own back yard on the way to hopefully a third title in club Rugbys greatest test surely marks them out as the greatest side in the world club game at the moment and among the best ever. Days to savour, how fortunate we are

Not to take away from your point, but we played Clermont today, not Toulouse.

No I wouldnt, Fez is pure class! I watched him yesterday trying to kill himself for Ulster! but I would stop fcuking with SOB game. He is pure class at 6 and the only reason Leinster are thinking about him at 7 is because of Ireland. Kidney has shown he hasnt a clue so Leinster so tell him to take a walk

He's playing 7 for Leinster much longer than he has been for Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

In Dublin's Fair City
    Where the girls are so pretty
    I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone
    As she wheel'd her wheel barrow
    Through streets broad and narrow
    Crying cockles and mussels alive, alive o!

Alive, alive o!, alive, alive o!

She was a fishmonger
    But sure 'twas no wonder
    For so were her father and mother before
    And they each wheel'd their barrow

She died of a fever
    And no one could save her
    And that was the end of sweet Molly Malone
    But her ghost wheels her barrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

If anyone is watching the highlights, at 81m 10s Leo Cullen is head-charged by a long haired Cleremont forward who then grapples with Cullens head.

Leo is clearly stunned by the charge.

It was a cheap shot I thought because the ASM player was not helping the ball be recycled.

Poor form I thought.

Saw that too, as far as I can see too it was one of the main contributors to the amount of blood on Leo's face at the end too, looked sinister. Has to be a citing in there.

Of all the selections and decisions that Kidney makes that are evidence of him not having a clue, SOB at 7 is not one of them.

• Advertisement

niallon wrote: »
    Saw that too, as far as I can see too it was one of the main contributors to the amount of blood on Leo's face at the end too, looked sinister. Has to be a citing in there.

I was screaming at the TV about that. Should have been the match ending penalty. I'd have been furious if they had scored after that.

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    He's playing 7 for Leinster much longer than he has been for Ireland

When?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

niallon wrote: »

Cudmore stuck a shoulder into Boss's face in the buildup to the try long after he'd put Kearney through the gap. Left him flat out. Could do with a citing as well, he usually has one coming anyway.

When?

Sean O'Brien has played 7 consistently his whole career. Had a good long streak there in early 2010 when he was playing only 7 right up to his broken leg. He started every game there in the Heineken cup knockouts last season and was voted European player of the year.

When?

Every game of last years HC after the group stages for a start

Played 7 in the rabo before christmas in 2010 too

Plus he played at 6 in last years six nations (2011)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Anyone who thinks Sob should be playing 6 isn't a real rugby fan,

real rugby fans would have watched Toulon v Stade and realised SOB should be playing 12...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mhtc

Congrats to Leinster! An away win in France in a HC semi-final is no small achievement.
    Be sure to buy Wayne Barnes a pint the next time you see him ;)

The last line is a just a joke by the way! Although the general consensus is that he let Leinster get away with a huge amount.

Quins fans
    Tigers fans
    Saracens fans
    boards.ie
    Saints fans
    Sharks fans

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

mhtc wrote: »
    Congrats to Leinster! An away win in France in a HC semi-final is no small achievement.
    Be sure to buy Wayne Barnes a pint the next time you see him ;)

[SIZE="1"]The last line is a just a joke by the way! Although the general consensus is that he let Leinster get away with a huge amount. [/SIZE]

Quins fans
    Tigers fans
    Saracens fans
    boards.ie
    Saints fans
    Sharks fans

Read through the pages of this thread, we accept that but you need luck to win in France against such a great team, and Leinster have earned their place in the final.

3 times in 4 years takes luck, we've been through all this already several pages back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

mhtc wrote: »
    The last line is a just a joke by the way! Although the general consensus is that he let Leinster get away with a huge amount.
    The last few phases of play he let CA go off their feet regulary.
    He also, pinged Leinster for numbers in the lineout which lead to them getting in the red zone. Previously, he gave CA a chance to get their lineout numbers right and another chance, he let CA come to lineout with 5 and then drop to 4 which technically you are not supposed to allow.

Overall, I think Barnes had a good game. You can be pedantic and pick holes where he let both teams away with things. Cullen could have being carded but so could have the CA player who was rucking on a Leinster player ankle joints i the first half.

Advertisement