Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEC SF: Clermont Auvergne vs Leinster; Sunday 29 April, KO 1600(CET); Live Sky Sports

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

John.Icy wrote: »
    Fofanna lost that game for Clermont. What was he at trying to do some fancy backwards one handed touchdown...still only fingertips from a try though. So yeah..go leinster..lucky to be in the final.

He just lost control trying to get it down behind his back

No show boating involved

Leinster deserved to win too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    down behind his back

If you had heard that on the radio, you'd be wondering what on earth he was up to.

Ball hit off his upper arm too which knocked it from his control....if thats not lucky for Leinster....oh well....someone call Oxford and get that definition changed!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Clermont fans on their forum surprisingly acceptant of the loss. Obviously annoyance with Barnes, but not on the scale I thought (reading through Google Translate that is). They talk about Leinster being a class apart and still a notch above ASM, and bemoan Fofana's missed try and other handling errors. Also saying they should be proud of their team for pushing a team like Leinster so close.

Still many of them annoyed with Barnes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

John.Icy wrote: »
    Fofanna lost that game for Clermont. What was he at trying to do some fancy backwards one handed touchdown...still only fingertips from a try though. So yeah..go leinster..lucky to be in the final.
    Or perhaps the D'arcy tackle on Fofana won the game for Leinster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

The images of their fans cheering wildly for their team after the final whistle is one of the reasons I love rugby so much. Their an absolute credit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

shuffol wrote: »
    The images of their fans cheering wildly for their team after the final whistle is one of the reasons I love rugby so much. Their an absolute credit.

I remember feeling slightly ashamed a couple of years back when a small pocket of them more or less drowned out the rest of the rds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

gosplan wrote: »

Either way, fair play Darce, no??

the level of ability for the average armchair rugby fan to recognise off-the-ball or "unseen" work is shockingly low

d'arcy and o'driscoll both put in phenomenal defensive work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Some of the barely concealed bitterness here is saddening. Fofana lost it forward, I dont see any "luck" in that. Luck is something 50/50 that goes your way or doesnt. A collapsed scrum, the bounce of a ball, the change of wind direction that can cause a kick to go wide etc. not an error by a player. If we're REALLY talking luck then Leinster were very unlucky not to win it by even more considering Nacewas kick in the first half could have bounced the other way leading to a try or the wind could have died down and not changed the shape of Johnnys "missed" kick or the TMO could have decided otherwise. Cop on to yourselves and stop nit picking over a superb performance by both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

It never ceases to amaze. Just when you think you have seen it all.
    Tension, fecking tension ???
    What a physical battle. How those players put their bodys through that I just do not know.
    The begrudging by some (the usual suspects) is sad but inevitable.
    Great weekend for Irish Sport.
    Great weekend for Irish Rugby.
    IRFU wake up and start to ask questions. Tis your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kennedmc

chupacabra wrote: »
    Some of the barely concealed bitterness here is saddening. Fofana lost it forward, I dont see any "luck" in that. Luck is something 50/50 that goes your way or doesnt. A collapsed scrum, the bounce of a ball, the change of wind direction that can cause a kick to go wide etc. not an error by a player. If we're REALLY talking luck then Leinster were very unlucky not to win it by even more considering Nacewas kick in the first half could have bounced the other way leading to a try or the wind could have died down and not changed the shape of Johnnys "missed" kick or the TMO could have decided otherwise. Cop on to yourselves and stop nit picking over a superb performance by both teams.

Not to mention Kearney not giving the ball wide when there was a man free in the 2nd half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

The reaction from Fofano was weird. He celebrated as if he was certain he scored, but he must have known deep down he lost control.

He'll have nightmares tonight of what might have been, like Brock James two years ago. But that's the beauty of rugby and sport in general, you make your own luck. Roll on Twickenham.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

I missed the TG4 highlights. Anyone know any other channel that's showing them, other than Sky?

I thought ITV were showing highlights this season but can see it in the TV Guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Conas wrote: »
    The reaction from Fofano was weird. He celebrated as if he was certain he scored, but he must have known deep down he lost control.

He'll have nightmares tonight of what might have been, like Brock James two years ago. But that's the beauty of rugby and sport in general, you make your own luck. Roll on Twickenham.

perhaps he thought hed grounded the ball when the ball touched his own arm??

wow.

The emotional swings were tough to take! Almost got sick in the last few minutes. Porterhouse in London went absolutely deathly silent for the intial incident of Fofana breaking the line, and then went absolutely ballistic when the replay showed he hadn't grounded it.

On train home now looking forward to making the journey back down in a few more weeks though! Irish invasion of London (even more so that already!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

kennedmc wrote: »
    Not to mention Kearney not giving the ball wide when there was a man free in the 2nd half

Was Luke in, though? I remember thinking it didn't look a nailed on try. I only saw the replay once from one angle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

wow.

The emotional swings were tough to take! Almost got sick in the last few minutes. Porterhouse in London went absolutely deathly silent for the intial incident of Fofana breaking the line, and then went absolutely ballistic when the replay showed he hadn't grounded it.

On train home now looking forward to making the journey back down in a few more weeks though! Irish invasion of London (even more so that already!)

Hope the atmosphere in there was good enough for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Banbridgeman

I'll admit I'm very impressed. That was possibly one of the toughest away semi finals in HC history. A Clermont team playing that well, with 30,000 incredibly passionate fans behind them, and yet Leinster probably could have won by 14pts if Kearney had passed to Fitzgerald and Sextons kick went over! But I have a feeling Ulster will win this one. Pienaar is just too good a kicker and I can see the return of Henry at the break down costing Leinster a lot of penalties for Pienaar to kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭maddness

WOW!!!!
    A great day to be an Irish rugby fan.:D

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Was Luke in, though? I remember thinking it didn't look a nailed on try. I only saw the replay once from one angle though.

Looked a nailed on try if Kearney passed but I think it was a case of him not seeing Luke rather than white line fever

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

Neil3030 wrote: »

They showed an elevated angle from behind the goals. A fast pass in front of Fitzgerald would probably have put in him. It wasn't a gimme, but I'd have back Fitzgerald to make it.

In fairness to Kearney, his running game has been unbelievable these last couple of months, and it would have been understandable if he felt more confident taking it on himself instead of throwing a tricky pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭maddness

I'll admit I'm very impressed. That was possibly one of the toughest away semi finals in HC history. A Clermont team playing that well, with 30,000 incredibly passionate fans behind them, and yet Leinster probably could have won by 14pts if Kearney had passed to Fitzgerald and Sextons kick went over! But I have a feeling Ulster will win this one. Pienaar is just too good a kicker and I can see the return of Henry at the break down costing Leinster a lot of penalties for Pienaar to kick.

I hope it stays fine for you.
    Doubt it though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Flincher wrote: »
    They showed an elevated angle from behind the goals. A fast pass in front of Fitzgerald would probably have put in him. It wasn't a gimme, but I'd have back Fitzgerald to make it.

In fairness to Kearney, his running game has been unbelievable these last couple of months, and it would have been understandable if he felt more confident taking it on himself instead of throwing a tricky pass.

Yeah, it was almost a certain try if he got it out. Rougerie would have made the tackle on Fitz but his momentum would have surely brought him over the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Honestly thought Luke would have been bundled into touch if Kearney had given the pass. There was a drift on which Kearney tried to check through. Will have to watch again but think it would have taken an excellent finish from Fitz to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/615715/

Look where Joe Schmidt was in the last minute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Really looking forward to the final now but jammy old Ulster, a Home semi and a 'Home' Final. :D You could be right about Pienaar but I think that today was Leinster's potential banana skin and they came out on top - Twickenham could be champagne rugby time for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Move over Pep and Barcelona and make way for Joe and Leinster - the greatest club side of all time from the N.H ?

Though I and my family are all season ticket holders with Munster we must give credit to a quite astonishing team and coach.

marienbad wrote: »
    Move over Pep and Barcelona and make way for Joe and Leinster - the greatest club side of all time from the N.H ?

Though I and my family are all season ticket holders with Munster we must give credit to a quite astonishing team and coach.

If they win the final then yes, without a doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

Quint2010 wrote: »
    http://www.sportsfile.com/id/615715/

Look where Joe Schmidt was in the last minute!

Some man!! One of the best rugby coaches, if not the best rugby coach in the world at the moment, and it's hard to believe this is only his second year here. :eek: I mean Chieka did a lot for Leinster don't get me wrong, but this guy Schmidt is a different class. The Leinster team of 2009 was good, but I think it was more down to individual efforts, than it was a team effort. Schmidt has created competition too, Cheika didn't. I don't think we would have won the Heineken Cup last year or have got to the final this year if Cheika was at the helm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

highlights of both games on SS2 21:00

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Tox56 wrote: »
    Clermont fans on their forum surprisingly acceptant of the loss.

Honestly, that doesn't surprise me. Amazing fans, without a doubt the best I've ever met. They're probably looking forward to the next time we meet. What a game that'll be!

Advertisement