Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

We need a big show for the championship!! Up the royal!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

To all the Barney Allen lovers:

Classless is how Barney tried to pull a fast one on Sean Boylan.
    It would also be true to say that many felt Seán Boylan became an innocent victim of this saga and it was not right or proper that the county board should use this most honourable man in such a way.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/men-of-substance-needed-to-haul-meath-out-of-mire-3088229.html
    The next chairman must be a man of substance

County Board route, get them out!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Minor hurlers beat Wicklow by 4 points in the Leinster Championship. Up against Wexford in the next round. It'll be interesting to see how they do. Very little chance of winning but hopefully not too big a defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

It's actually Offaly they are against in the next round, in Tullamore.

It's actually Offaly they are against in the next round, in Tullamore.
    Ah I get it. I thought we played the winner of the Wexford - Offaly game.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Ah I get it. I thought we played the winner of the Wexford - Offaly game.

you know nothing, stick to defending Barney Allen....

we will then clearly know you for your erroneous ways

and forgiveness and empathy will avoid you a backlash

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

So looking ahead to the championship, Is there any player that has been overlooked that you think should get a chance. I mean surely there are better midfielders in the county than those playing at the moment.

Also does anyone know of any challange matches coming up

my friend wrote: »
    you know nothing, stick to defending Barney Allen....

we will then clearly know you for your erroneous ways

and forgiveness and empathy will avoid you a backlash
    Good lad yourself. Judging by your posts abusing people left, right and centre on here, you're a true Meath GAA man yourself.

Felexicon wrote: »
    So looking ahead to the championship, Is there any player that has been overlooked that you think should get a chance. I mean surely there are better midfielders in the county than those playing at the moment.

Also does anyone know of any challange matches coming up
    Unfortunately, I'm not sure there are many midfielders who would definitely be better than what we have now. Obviously Shane O Rourke would be a good addition in midfield when he's back from injury. I also think Menton wouldn't be a bad shout to try in midfield but then again, I feel he's our best option at half back at the moment.
    I've read that Peader Byrne is back on the panel. Great player on his day but he's a liability when it comes to discipline. One player I'd like to see given an opportunity up front (especially now Sheridan and Gilsenan are out) is Michael Newman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

One player I'd like to see given an opportunity up front (especially now Sheridan and Gilsenan are out) is Michael Newman.

I heard from a friend/colleague of mine that this guy Newman played out around midfield against Louth after the sendings off. By all accounts he did pretty well there.Possible option at midfield?

• Advertisement

blackbelt wrote: »
    I heard from a friend/colleague of mine that this guy Newman played out around midfield against Louth after the sendings off. By all accounts he did pretty well there.Possible option at midfield?
    Incorrect, it was actually Tom Walsh who moved out to midfield against Louth and did quite well

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

Sheridan to return? Seems crazy to think that he would come back after only 6 weeks in the US - any one closer to the story know anything about this?

Ladjacket wrote: »
    Sheridan to return? Seems crazy to think that he would come back after only 6 weeks in the US - any one closer to the story know anything about this?
    Yeah it might be on the cards, He only left because he couldn't get work so if he has a job sorted here he may come back. Hope he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

some people complain about players who dont care if they win or lose, no pride in the shirt etc, in every county. But if Sheridan came back, what a personal sacrifice that would be. Whether he can get work or not, to come home from the US where he could be living it up, to come into the storm that is Meath GAA at the minute, is brave. Well done him.

some people complain about players who dont care if they win or lose, no pride in the shirt etc, in every county. But if Sheridan came back, what a personal sacrifice that would be. Whether he can get work or not, to come home from the US where he could be living it up, to come into the storm that is Meath GAA at the minute, is brave. Well done him.
    Ah yeah but to be fair no one could ever question his commitment to the cause. The man is a legend.

There's no show like a Joe Show

Ah yeah but to be fair no one could ever question his commitment to the cause. The man is a legend.

There's no show like a Joe Show

ah yeah i understand this but i mean, as an outsider looking in, how many lads would have went 'feck it, im in the states having a ball, why would I go back there'? No disrespect to Meath whatsoever, but it is a bit of a sham at the minute and I think the fella is really showing himself to be a legend as you rightly put it.

Hope he comes back now and tears up the championship for ye's

ah yeah i understand this but i mean, as an outsider looking in, how many lads would have went 'feck it, im in the states having a ball, why would I go back there'? No disrespect to Meath whatsoever, but it is a bit of a sham at the minute and I think the fella is really showing himself to be a legend as you rightly put it.

Hope he comes back now and tears up the championship for ye's
    What makes you say that? Its the greatest tactic an inter county manager has ever employed. Get relegated to Div 3 and take the backlash for a week or 2. Next year go undefeated in Div 3 and be remembered for years as the manager of the perfect season. League champs '13 :P

Also hope Big Joe tears the arse out of it. He's a hero

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

the man is home and all he tweeted about the flight this morning.id say senchelstown will be delighted hes back too.another round of club championship this week too ive a few days off so its looking like i might get a pats game in, a rare occurence these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Unfortunately, I'm not sure there are many midfielders who would definitely be better than what we have now. Obviously Shane O Rourke would be a good addition in midfield when he's back from injury. I also think Menton wouldn't be a bad shout to try in midfield but then again, I feel he's our best option at half back at the moment.
    I've read that Peader Byrne is back on the panel. Great player on his day but he's a liability when it comes to discipline. One player I'd like to see given an opportunity up front (especially now Sheridan and Gilsenan are out) is Michael Newman.

Has Newman not emigrated? I thought he had.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »
    Has Newman not emigrated? I thought he had.
    Not sure to be honest. I didn't hear anything about him emigrating. He did play for Kilmainham in the League earlier this month but I see he didn't play at all in the first round of the Junior Championship two weeks ago.
    I see Mark Ward is out of the Leinster championship (and probably the whole AI championship as well). Tom Walshe should be starting in midfield now. Heard Shane O Rourke has had another setback trying to recover from hip surgery.

Not sure to be honest. I didn't hear anything about him emigrating. He did play for Kilmainham in the League earlier this month but I see he didn't play at all in the first round of the Junior Championship two weeks ago.
    I see Mark Ward is out of the Leinster championship (and probably the whole AI championship as well). Tom Walshe should be starting in midfield now. Heard Shane O Rourke has had another setback trying to recover from hip surgery.
    Hate to say it but this may actually play to Meaths advantage

Hate to say it but this may actually play to Meaths advantage
    Possibly but I think he had a better league than Brian Meade. It's just incredibly infuriating how he just constantly punches the ball when going up for it. I wouldn't mind if he was doing it in a way to break the ball to one of our players, but he just seems to punch it in any direction.
    But I would certainly feel better to be without his notoriously bad tackling for the championship. Both himself and Peader Byrne scare the bejaysus out of me when they're on a yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

I seem to remember reading somewhere that John L. Magee was the top scorer for a few years in a row in the IFC. Are my memories correct? Why didn't he get on the Meath senior panel? Too old now?

Big win for Donaghmore/Ash against the Hill in the SFC. I'd expect them to get to the final at least this year.
    Ourselves just managed to beat O' Mahoney's second team in the Junior A. Curraha were surprisingly knocked out of the Junior.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Oh, he's sure to be legendary, just not for those reasons. ;)

Syferus wrote: »

Oh, he's sure to be legendary, just not for those reasons. ;)
    Why then?

I see Johnny Evans has been added to Meath's back room team. Personally i think he proved to be a very short term answer to a long term goal in Tipperary. Wont be cheap either esp as he still lives in Kerry.

What are your owns views on Evans as Meath fans? Optimism, Pessimism or Meh?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I see Johnny Evans has been added to Meath's back room team. Personally i think he proved to be a very short term answer to a long term goal in Tipperary. Wont be cheap either esp as he still lives in Kerry.

What are your owns views on Evans as Meath fans? Optimism, Pessimism or Meh?!

Excuse me? On what planet are you operating?

He landed your first ever u21 Munster title, back-to-back promotions in the league and was instrumental in maintaining the glimmers of under-age progress before he arrived in 2008. Five seasons is a very long term 'answer' in inter-county managerial terms. One bad league doesn't really change much of anything and Tipperary should be hugely thankful to Evans for all his work, before he got there Tipp were regarded as guaranteed win on all but the weakest teams' schedules.

• Advertisement

Syferus wrote: »
    Excuse me? On what planet are you operating?

He landed your first ever u21 Munster title, back-to-back promotions in the league and was instrumental in maintaining the glimmers of under-age progress before he arrived in 2008. Five seasons is a very long term 'answer' in inter-county managerial terms. One bad league doesn't really change much of anything and Tipperary should be huge thankful to Evans for all his work, before he got there Tipp were regarded as guaranteed win on all but the weakest teams' schedules.

Yes he did all that in fairness to him i wont deny but i dont think he could take Tipp any further. The players lost sorry, got hammmered in 5 games in a row of this years league campaign and during his tenure we didnt win 1 game in Munster and yet despite this he is believed to have also took €110k off our county board in 2011.
    €50k in wages for his 'director role' and another €60k claimed in expenses...for what exactly? Our budget deficit last year you wouldnt mind was €220k.

Tipp may have made progress the first two years but then suffered 3 poor league campaigns in a row and went right back to the beginning. He cant take any credit for the minors last year much as he'd like to. Davy Power managed that team. I wont deny his contribution but it wasnt as massive as Johnny liked to make it out to be.

Johnny stated a few years ago when he linked himself to the selectors role for the Kerry u21 job alongside Jack O'Shea that 'You cant have 2 women at the one sink'. Him and Banty will be interesting.

I wonder how much input Banty (whom as you already know the Meath County Board were trying to remove last week) had into his appointment?

Advertisement