Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

Did anyone here do the Ukcat and Hpat? If so did you feel doing the Ukcat helped with the Hpat? Cheers peeps

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

Did anyone here do the Ukcat and Hpat? If so did you feel doing the Ukcat helped with the Hpat? Cheers peeps

Yeah I did, I found it was very helpful for section 3, not really helpful for section 2 and slightly helpful for question 1.
    I guess I'll see if it really helped on Monday though....

• Registered Users Posts: 13 shunter07

For all those that are worried about the results and how it will determine the rest of their life,

In truth when you put the HPAT scores up against some of lifes other problems it really counts for nothing. It is a test, that we all have to sit and the nature of the selection process means in actuality only the top 15 to 17 % of people that do it will even be considered for Med this yr, and the next, and any subsequent years. So for that 15 to 17 %.. The lucky few, I say congratulations!

Needless to say it would be great if everyone that truly yearned to do med and worked their fingers to the bone to make the cut could get in. We all know that is an impossible scenario. So, for the 84 or so % of others.

L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N.!

We will all too quickly rush into a state of grief over our "didn't make the cut" score and our dreams being crushed when in actual fact we should be firstly proud that we even considered Med and jumped through all of the necessary hoops to HELP SAVE AS MANY LIVES AS POSSIBLE! and secondly that we ourselves, our loved ones and our dearest friends are healthy and well.

When we put this 2hr 30 min test into perspective with life as a whole, it is quite insignificant and i think you may agree?
    I do understand that there are people out there that are devoting their whole lives to this cause, repeating if necessary and locking themselves in a room (speaking from experience on both fronts :p) But if you think about it, After the results, do the birds still sing? is the grass still green? Do we still hold close the people we love the most? I think the answer to these questions for many of us is yes.

So i suppose the reason i started this post (and i duly apologize for its length) is to just emphasise that a not so good HPAT result does not mean its the end of the world. Just attempting it is a sign that you will be successful on whatever path you travel, be it as a doctor, or a nurse or even a bin man (i have nothing against bin men btw i think they do a great job not many of us could do!) But the most important thing to do is Live.

Breath, You are alive.

If anyone is having a bad day on Monday just have a little read of this extract delivered by none other than Nelson Mandela. It helps :) Best of luck everyone and hey, be proud of yourself! Besides, if the HPAT is discontinued a 625 L.C score would definitely get you a place so strive for that ;)

I'll leave you with Nelson Mandelas words.

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God.

Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.

As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

Nelson Mandela on his release from Robin Island

S.H.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

133332110012.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

finality wrote: »
    I wonder what the correlation between IQ scores and HPAT scores is like.

There would be little to no correlation. Section 3 is really the only one which would have a strong link to the spatial intelligence section of an IQ test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

NVM what anybody says. The HPAT is the most important part of your life and if you don't make the 85th percentile cut, then you are an insignificant and inferior being. We all know no other professions exist in the world and THE ONLY WAY TO MAKE DECENT MONEY is through medicine. Forget your other aspirations!
    HPAT definitely determines your intelligence otherwise it would not exist as an entry exam. Do not deceive yourself!

625 is for the elite, any lower and you've failed for 18 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

reznov wrote: »
    NVM what anybody says. The HPAT is the most important part of your life and if you don't make the 85th percentile cut, then you are an insignificant and inferior being. We all know no other professions exist in the world and THE ONLY WAY TO MAKE DECENT MONEY is through medicine. Forget your other aspirations!
    HPAT definitely determines your intelligence otherwise it would not exist as an entry exam. Do not deceive yourself!

<3

takeiteasy.jpg

And we all know that Reznov is known for his completely serious and strictly unsarcastic approach.

9627596.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

shunter07 wrote: »
    L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N.!

Well said.

Just be happy the results you're getting back on Monday aren't test results for cancer.. Got to keep these things in perspective people!!

• Advertisement

Cant keep my eyes off this thread for no reason. It's painful!!

shunter07 wrote: »
    For all those that are worried about the results and how it will determine the rest of their life,

In truth when you put the HPAT scores up against some of lifes other problems it really counts for nothing. It is a test, that we all have to sit and the nature of the selection process means in actuality only the top 15 to 17 % of people that do it will even be considered for Med this yr, and the next, and any subsequent years. So for that 15 to 17 %.. The lucky few, I say congratulations!

Needless to say it would be great if everyone that truly yearned to do med and worked their fingers to the bone to make the cut could get in. We all know that is an impossible scenario. So, for the 84 or so % of others.

L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N.!

We will all too quickly rush into a state of grief over our "didn't make the cut" score and our dreams being crushed when in actual fact we should be firstly proud that we even considered Med and jumped through all of the necessary hoops to HELP SAVE AS MANY LIVES AS POSSIBLE! and secondly that we ourselves, our loved ones and our dearest friends are healthy and well.

When we put this 2hr 30 min test into perspective with life as a whole, it is quite insignificant and i think you may agree?
    I do understand that there are people out there that are devoting their whole lives to this cause, repeating if necessary and locking themselves in a room (speaking from experience on both fronts :p) But if you think about it, After the results, do the birds still sing? is the grass still green? Do we still hold close the people we love the most? I think the answer to these questions for many of us is yes.

So i suppose the reason i started this post (and i duly apologize for its length) is to just emphasise that a not so good HPAT result does not mean its the end of the world. Just attempting it is a sign that you will be successful on whatever path you travel, be it as a doctor, or a nurse or even a bin man (i have nothing against bin men btw i think they do a great job not many of us could do!) But the most important thing to do is Live.

Breath, You are alive.

If anyone is having a bad day on Monday just have a little read of this extract delivered by none other than Nelson Mandela. It helps :) Best of luck everyone and hey, be proud of yourself! Besides, if the HPAT is discontinued a 625 L.C score would definitely get you a place so strive for that ;)

I'll leave you with Nelson Mandelas words.

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God.

Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.

As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

Nelson Mandela on his release from Robin Island

S.H.

TL;DR

Bell Curve wins.

TL;DR

Bell Curve wins.

Just gotta ride the bell curve to the end. :rolleyes:

NoHarm1994 wrote: »
    Just gotta ride the bell curve to the end. :rolleyes:

Life's a bell curve:

You start your journey in life as a frail baby, unable of autonomy and reliant on an adult for care. The beginning of the bell curve.

By the time you reach mid age, you're in your prime. Kicking ass, flouting your skills, reproducing and solving those difficult problems in life. The middle of the bell curve.

But everything slides as you become a senior citizen. You're back to that dependent stage, as life has almost completed its bell curve graph. Now you've reached the rightmost point on the bell curve. Not even integration can reverse this rate of change!

So you see, life does not have a life cycle. It has a bell curve to which every individual must conform. I feel the department of education has copped on to this idea and has equally implemented a bell curve in examinations to maintain nature's rhythm.

There is no escape from the vile bell curve and it's symmetrically perfect properties.

Life's a bell curve:

You start your journey in life as a frail baby, unable of autonomy and reliant on an adult for care. The beginning of the bell curve.

By the time you reach mid age, you're in your prime. Kicking ass, flouting your skills, reproducing and solving those difficult problems in life. The middle of the bell curve.

But everything slides as you become a senior citizen. You're back to that dependent stage, as life has almost completed its bell curve graph. Now you've reached the rightmost point on the bell curve. Not even integration can reverse this rate of change!

So you see, life does not have a life cycle. It has a bell curve to which every individual must conform. I feel the department of education has copped on to this idea and has equally implemented a bell curve in examinations to maintain nature's rhythm.

There is no escape from the vile bell curve and it's symmetrically perfect properties.

I wouldn't describe a baby as frail, but each to their own, I guess.

I wouldn't describe a baby as frail, but each to their own, I guess.

Are babies not weak and delicate beings? Were you born with the biceps of Arnold Schwarzenegger by any chance?

Are babies not weak and delicate beings? Were you born with the biceps of Arnold Schwarzenegger by any chance?

They are, but there are plenty of other adjectives that could be used to to describe them than 'frail.' It is more customary to describe an elderly person as frail, or a baby owl. It'd be kind of freaky if I was a newborn with biceps like Arnie-particularly as I'm female. Although, it would be interesting to see the baby photos.:cool:

Seems like someone can't face up to the fact that he made a mistake!:pac:

There would be little to no correlation. Section 3 is really the only one which would have a strong link to the spatial intelligence section of an IQ test.

I'm not saying the two tests are very alike, what I'm wondering is whether people who score highly on IQ tests would also generally score highly on the hpat. Though I would say section 1 would also have a bit of a link.
    They are, but there are plenty of other adjectives that could be used to to describe them than 'frail.' It is more customary to describe an elderly person as frail, or a baby owl. It'd be kind of freaky if I was a newborn with biceps like Arnie-particularly as I'm female. Although, it would be interesting to see the baby photos.:cool:

frail - /frāl/
    Adjective:
    1. (of a person) Weak and delicate
    2. Easily damaged or broken; fragile or
    insubstantial

I'm not saying the two tests are very alike, what I'm wondering is whether people who score highly on IQ tests would also generally score highly on the hpat. Though I would say section 1 would also have a bit of a link.

It really is impossible to know, because the HPAT isn't an IQ test, and it does not have a strong correlation with an IQ test at all, apart from sec. 3. Section 1 has very little linkage to IQ tests, if any. Although, it is based on logical reasoning and that is required when you sit an IQ test, but we use logical reasoning all the time, so not really.

frail - /frāl/
    Adjective:
    1. (of a person) Weak and delicate
    2. Easily damaged or broken; fragile or
    insubstantial

We know the definition, Finality. It is not usual to associate frailty with a baby.

Unless you would say upon seeing the birth of a child, 'Oh, what a lovely, frail baby!'

• Advertisement

We know the definition, Finality. It is not usual to associate frailty with a baby.

Unless you would say upon seeing the birth of a child, 'Oh, what a lovely, frail baby!'

Well no, but frail isn't exactly a compliment. :P It may not be customary, but that doesn't make it incorrect.

Well no, but frail isn't exactly a compliment. :P It may not be customary, but that doesn't make it incorrect.

It makes it inappropriate or unsuitable.

Well, at least this distracts from the HPAT-talking about 'frail' babies and the like:pac:

It makes it inappropriate or unsuitable.

Well, at least this distracts from the HPAT-talking about 'frail' babies and the like:pac:

Well, I wouldn't call a healthy baby frail, but I think an ill or premature baby could be described that way. As they were trying to imply that a baby is weak and fragile, I think the word was acceptable, though you're right, in general it wouldn't be the best choice of word. Still, pretty pedantic to pick that out. :P

Yes yes let's have no more talk of the hpat in here. :L

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭spasmaster

do many people repeat the hpat in thier second or third year of college ?

I made no mistake :pac::pac: Of course 'frail' is no compliment, I was simply emphasising the fact that we are born weak and helpless. A bit of pessimistic Larkin in me.
    Nice attempt at correcting! I don't believe you'd be suited for the role of LC English chief examiner however :pac:

anyone do the independent academy mock exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 drbtrenier

spasmaster wrote: »
    anyone do the independent academy mock exam?

Yes, I did :) What did you think of it? Like the actual HPAT or not?

Life's a bell curve:

Reznov, it is clear to me that you should be Philosopher, your thought pattern is so deep and clearly an integral part of your inner most self. The only thing is I see a desire for attention from within you, perhaps you are just an attention seeker? A **** stirrer? A COD fanatic? Whatever it is there are people that can help you! Dont feel that you are alone in this ;)

you-can-do-it.jpg

drbtrenier wrote: »
    Yes, I did :) What did you think of it? Like the actual HPAT or not?

hpat was much harder, i'd say. but the scores generaly correlated with the normal results, with only 2 people getting over 200 and the average around 160.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 drbtrenier

spasmaster wrote: »
    hpat was much harder, i'd say. but the scores generaly correlated with the normal results, with only 2 people getting over 200 and the average around 160.

I know we cant know till results come out, but do you see people getting at least roughly the same scores? ie. those 2 who got over 200 doing very well, the person who got 97 still doing disastrously, etc.?

Advertisement