Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 aisling95

But the fees etc. are much higher in England right? That's the only thing holding me back applying to there next year. That and the fact that I lived in London before and the cost of living is ridiculous.

Yeah definitely, so England isn't my first choice! I'm hoping to teach piano as a kind of part time job though, which pays quite well, so that I could afford to see my family every so often! There are low interest tuition fee loans which almost everyone gets that you don't have to repay until you're earning over a certain amount of money, which in reality could be repaid by a years wages as a doctor. So it does balance out in the long term, compared to spending a year repeating, or I think anyway! It's only a five year course as well, rather than a six year course. The biggest problem about the UK though is of that a lot of places don't accept under 18s. I was sixteen when I applied and did my interview etc, so that was sickning enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

aisling95 wrote: »
    Yeah definitely, so England isn't my first choice! I'm hoping to teach piano as a kind of part time job though, which pays quite well, so that I could afford to see my family every so often! There are low interest tuition fee loans which almost everyone gets that you don't have to repay until you're earning over a certain amount of money, which in reality could be repaid by a years wages as a doctor. So it does balance out in the long term, compared to spending a year repeating, or I think anyway! It's only a five year course as well, rather than a six year course. The biggest problem about the UK though is of that a lot of places don't accept under 18s. I was sixteen when I applied and did my interview etc, so that was sickning enough!

In reality, you would not just fork out your yearly wage on your loans etc., if that's what you're implying. Otherwise, £9000 a year x 5 years is £45000. That will take a long time to pay back, considering that your initial wage as a doctor is a fair bit off £45000. These expenses aren't even taking into account foundation year, if it is done, or other expenses, such as accommodation accrued while studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 aisling95

In reality, you would not just fork out your yearly wage on your loans etc., if that's what you're implying. Otherwise, £9000 a year x 5 years is £45000. That will take a long time to pay back, considering that your initial wage as a doctor is a fair bit off £45000. These expenses aren't even taking into account foundation year, if it is done, or other expenses, such as accommodation accrued while studying.

O sorry, no you're right and my reply was kind of unclear. But it wouldn't be the starting wage that you'd take into account, obviously there aren't many junior doctors earning that amount, but your final wage as a consultant before you retire, as basically you're getting that as an extra year. In that case you could be earning quite a substantial wage. And of course there will be accommodation expenses in Ireland as well, which are not very far of those in England. Also, if I was to repeat in a grind school, for example, there would be fees and accommodation costs to pay as well, which I think would make the UK a more favorable option, for me anyway!

aisling95 wrote: »
    O sorry, no you're right and my reply was kind of unclear. But it wouldn't be the starting wage that you'd take into account, obviously there aren't many junior doctors earning that amount, but your final wage as a consultant before you retire, as basically you're getting that as an extra year. In that case you could be earning quite a substantial wage. And of course there will be accommodation expenses in Ireland as well, which are not very far of those in England. Also, if I was to repeat in a grind school, for example, there would be fees and accommodation costs to pay as well, which I think would make the Uk a more favorable option, for me anyway!

Oh, I get ya now;) Although, not everybody gets a consultancy, but I know, higher the rank, higher the pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭skinny malinky

No point discussing England anyway 'cos we'll all be in Trinity next year, obviously. Right?:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Paralysis

No point discussing England anyway 'cos we'll all be in Trinity next year, obviously. Right?:P

Of course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Haha, my sister decided to have people over on the night too.. I swear people are trying to sabotage me... Protip, though : in the event that you don't get good results on Sunday, do NOT blame it on being kept up..

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

Can any one shed some light on these huge starting salaries for doctors in Canada. I was told by a friend that some doctors were starting off at $400 K a year? I know, sounds totally unrealistic but if its true and I get medecine... Canada here I come :cool:

Haha, my sister decided to have people over on the night too.. I swear people are trying to sabotage me... Protip, though : in the event that you don't get good results on Sunday, do NOT blame it on being kept up..

How did you not punch your sister?

I won't be blaming anyone but myself, although it is a fact that my neighbours love drug-fuelled raves every few weeks and seem to have them at the worst possible times. Felt like crying when the music started at 11.30 the night before the hpat. Knew it'd be going till the early hours. Anyway, I'm going off topic...

NoHarm1994 wrote: »
    Can any one shed some light on these huge starting salaries for doctors in Canada. I was told by a friend that some doctors were starting off at $400 K a year? I know, sounds totally unrealistic but if its true and I get medecine... Canada here I come :cool:

Surely that can't be true? Otherwise everyone would be following ya

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Surely that can't be true? Otherwise everyone would be following ya

No, its not. A quick google will give you a rough idea, its certainly nowhere near that high.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

I grew up in canada, and my dad is a doctor that went over when he qualified. I can assure you your friend is exaggerating hugely! It's still a great place to go though. 'In general' you get much better training and professional development there then you would if you stayed in Ireland.

How did you not punch your sister?

I won't be blaming anyone but myself, although it is a fact that my neighbours love drug-fuelled raves every few weeks and seem to have them at the worst possible times. Felt like crying when the music started at 11.30 the night before the hpat. Knew it'd be going till the early hours. Anyway, I'm going off topic...

Aww i was raging.. Got them to leave at like 12:00 but was completely stressed after it.. Decided to drink some wine to help me get to sleep - not my best idea...

Not a surprise to be honest, I will be having stern words with him tomorrow morning all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Anyone know what time the results will be out on Monday at ? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Never mind, I'm seeing things.

Anyone know what time the results will be out on Monday at ? :p

if you read back 2 or three pages and beyond this question has been answered many times..

i.e no one knows exactly but we know what time they were out last yr, etc.

hollingr wrote: »
    if you read back 2 or three pages and beyond this question has been answered many times..

I think if someone asks that question again you're going to go a teeny, tiny bit crazy!!:p

Keep helping people HPAT-wise!

Ride-on, Hollingr! Fight the good fight!:cool:

Take a bow son ;)

y'all don't need me, you need a parrot!!

squak squak HPAT results were released at 12.50 am last yr squak squak, i will post here as soon as they are out this year, squak squak

squak squak HPAT results were released at 12.50 am last yr squak squak, i will post here as soon as they are out this year, squak squak

and so on..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 KildareKing

3000 apply and 625 get medicine thats what i heard is it true?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

3000 apply and 625 get medicine thats what i heard is it true?

Remember:
    bell-curve-tails-1.gif

Doesn't matter how many apply, you've just gotta be the best.

y'all don't need me, you need a parrot!!

and so on..

Yeah, but it would be preeeetty annoying to have a parrot in at the HPAT.

'SQUAK SQUAK WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN?'

'SQUAK SQUAK I FORGOT TO PRUNE MY FEATHERS THIS MORNING!'

Actually, now that I think about it, it would be handy to have a genius parrot in there.

'Squak, so the answers must be A, A, B, D, C.........'

You're on fire tonight Hollingr-this is a multi-million euro invention:p

let's hope my feathered friend doesn't continually remind me on monday

"squak squak, you haven't gotten good enough results to get in"

:p

This is some sadomasochistic ****.. I'm so excited to be torn down come Sunday...

let's hope my feathered friend doesn't continually remind me on monday

:p

I think we should name him, or this could get 'squak-ward.':cool:

I'll get my coat........

I spend hours staring at this thread in some kind of ridiculous vague hope that my results are suddenly gonna be posted here... doubt I'm the only one.

How many minutes are there till Monday? :)

Quite evil of me, but here's the link to where they will eventually post the results, knock yourselves out trying to get results from it over the next few days until it gives you the answer you want:

h t t p s://hpat-ireland-reg.acer.edu.au/index.php

Quite evil of me, but here's the link to where they will eventually post the results, knock yourselves out trying to get results from it over the next few days until it gives you the answer you want

Or don't want, more than likely.

I bet if I stare at it hard enough the results will appear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Paralysis

Quite evil of me, but here's the link to where they will eventually post the results, knock yourselves out trying to get results from it over the next few days until it gives you the answer you want:

h t t p s://hpat-ireland-reg.acer.edu.au/index.php

It just says "registration has closed" :(

Advertisement