Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

I'm 100% sure you get the bonus points speeding, I'm in the same boat, great to have the mature entry as backup! :)

Would be seriously unfair if we didn't get the bonus points.. the maths course has gotten a lot easier over the years especially with project maths coming in now. I was sub teaching a fair bit this year.. in a top seeded honours maths class (5th years), more than half of them couldn't even solve fractions without a calculator!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

hollingr wrote: »
    I'm 100% sure you get the bonus points speeding, I'm in the same boat, great to have the mature entry as backup! :)

Would be seriously unfair if we didn't get the bonus points.. the maths course has gotten a lot easier over the years especially with project maths coming in now. I was sub teaching a fair bit this year.. in a top seeded honours maths class (5th years), more than half of them couldn't even solve fractions without a calculator!

I haven't read all yer arguments...but if what your saying is that people who done honours maths in previous years get the extra 25 points this year if theyre applying to the CAO....you're definitely right!

Should we not have gotten an e-mail with the link to the results for tomorrow by now?

heres the link from last year, I assume it will be the same one this year but the results aren't up yet. Knock yourself out though plugging in your details, let me know when it finally works! :p

https://hpat-ireland-reg.acer.edu.au/index.php?cmd=toResult

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

is the hpat candidate id the same as your exam number from your ticket or??? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

is the hpat candidate id the same as your exam number from your ticket or??? :o

Yep it is the one on your admission ticket :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

Sitting here doing some HPAT questions to get me in the mood. It's really not helping the nerves haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

Thanks :-). Mmmm not confident about the hpat at all but that gives me a hpat score leaving of 554 now rather than 545. But sure all the points are going to increase from the bonus points anyway sure it will make feck all difference to me. I probably need a hpat score of 190. No chance since I completely messed up section one.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I hate the way people keep saying Maths is getting easier when in reality I've seen the papers and its not miles away from the same standard. And Project Maths isn't exactly a walk in the park when our teacher knows just about as much about how to teach it as we do...

I doubt you can get them online but if you can look at past papers 10-15 years ago and beyond, I think you will change your mind.

They took alpha and beta off the course this year because students find these symbols "too confusing". Don't kid yourself, they are dumbing it down as the years go by. Don't get me wrong though, it is still extremely hard to get an A in honours maths... However, the overall ability of students entering mathematical and engineering based degrees is getting lower as the years go on. Ask any college administrator, they have to spend a huge amount of the degree time just bringing up the maths standard these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭spasmaster

last years maths test was the hardest in the last 12 years. don't know if you all remember the contraversy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

This time tomorrow...:eek:

i still wont know, have exams.:mad:

I doubt you can get them online but if you can look at past papers 10-15 years ago and beyond, I think you will change your mind.

They took alpha and beta off the course this year because students find these symbols "too confusing". Don't kid yourself, they are dumbing it down as the years go by. Don't get me wrong though, it is still extremely hard to get an A in honours maths... However, the overall ability of students entering mathematical and engineering based degrees is getting lower as the years go on. Ask any college administrator, they have to spend a huge amount of the degree time just bringing up the maths standard these days.

WHATT??? alpha and beta is gone?? please say this isnt true :O i love those questions!

never mind this time tomorrow...this time 12 hours probably!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

While you all fret about LC maths...

Probably the coolest thing that you never knew you had billions of constantly working in your body.

/This definitely counts as biochemistry study :p/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

spasmaster wrote: »
    last years maths test was the hardest in the last 12 years. don't know if you all remember the contraversy.

It was definitely the hardest I've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Tbf though, the marking scheme for paper 1 was actually insanely fair to compensate. The worst thing that could've happened to someone in that paper would be to panic and freeze and skip parts of questions or fail to finish. If you ever get a tough paper in the LC, don't panic, keep going, take your time (you don't need to finish questions with time to spare - give yourself time to think it out) and just bear in mind after that the marking scheme will most likely be very fair to maintain the bell curve - after all, everyone's sitting the same paper!

Paper 2 in 2011 was a fairly grand paper.

anyone know if the bell curve is up at the same time as the results? should be able to guess the points with that compared to last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

anyone know if the bell curve is up at the same time as the results? should be able to guess the points with that compared to last year.

It has always gone up some time between the HPAT results and the LC results, but I can't remember if it was released on the same day as the HPAT results. It may be different this year with the results being released before the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 daithioc

How are the results being released?

Email/ CAO?

• Advertisement

It has always gone up some time between the HPAT results and the LC results, but I can't remember if it was released on the same day as the HPAT results. It may be different this year with the results being released before the LC.

Can't realy interpret the points without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ShatterResistant

How are the results being released?

Email/ CAO?

https://hpat-ireland-reg.acer.edu.au/index.php?cmd=toResult

This was the link from last year. You should get an email with this link inside and then just enter you details. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Can't realy interpret the points without them.
    You'll be given your percentile, which is all that matters really, so you will be able to interpret how you did.

jumpguy wrote: »
    You'll be given your percentile, which is all that matters really, so you will be able to interpret how you did.

yeah your right. though with the bell curve you can see if the average has raised from the last year to estimate the overall points, which would be helpfull as some people already know their LC points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

yeah your right. though with the bell curve you can see if the average has raised from the last year to estimate the overall points, which would be helpfull as some people already know their LC points.

There's really no point torturing yourself trying to calculate the points from bell curves and speculation. From your percentile you'll see if there has been any major changes, for example if you get 190 and its the 94th percentile, and it was the 95th percentile last year (from scores and percentiles put up in last years thread), the scores have risen slightly.

Better to just concentrate on the LC at this stage, speculation will do you no good! :)

does anyone know of any cases of people getting higher scores after a re-check?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Ah I wouldn't consider Alpha and Beta the hardest aspects of the course by a long shot. I don't know but the course for next year seems even more dumbed down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Even though I know I did bad, I can't take this wait anymore. When will the clock strike 12? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Trying to study but I can't stop thinking about these stupid results. Gonna fail LCVP next week because of it. :P

Dreading school tomorrow if this doesn't go well. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 drbtrenier

Trying to study but I can't stop thinking about these stupid results. Gonna fail LCVP next week because of it. :P

Dreading school tomorrow if this doesn't go well. :/

Me too... Gonna thoroughly enjoy school if I've done well... but don't think I can go in if I've done badly and have to tell everyone I didn't get it. Might just not go in for a day or two if that's the case!!

Advertisement