Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish oral!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Doing my Irish Oral (OL) tomorrow, have most of the Sraith's well prepared (apart from number 12).

I've done the following, do you think i'd be ok for tomorrow?
    • General Stuff about Myself (name, age, DOB, where I was born, address)
    • Family (people in my family, brothers- names and ages, what my parents do, do I get on well with my brothers/parents, do my parents give me freedom)
    • Pastimes (mainly: Music, sport, Reading. Why are pastimes good)
    • Typical Day
    • What I did last weekend
    • School (name, do I like it, numbers of students/teachers, atmosphere, facilities, subjects, favourite subject, subject I don't like)
    • What I want to do after School (Law, traits needed to do Law, what you have to do, where i'm going to college, for how long)
    • My Area (describe, facilities, people, advantages)

I think that's basically it! The comhra is only 7 minutes long anyway so I don't know how much more they could want. I know my poems basically off by heart at this stage and have a couple of Sraith's that are extremely strong (Namely 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 18, 19, 20). Do you think i'll be ok? Should be on at about 12.00 pm tomorrow. Did about 6 hours study today and about 6 yesterday too! <3
    You'll be grand! The examiner's not gonna try and trick ya or anything. They're there to find out what you know and give you as much marks as possible. With that much preparation done for OL you'll fly it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Doing my Irish Oral (OL) tomorrow, have most of the Sraith's well prepared (apart from number 12).

I've done the following, do you think i'd be ok for tomorrow?
    • General Stuff about Myself (name, age, DOB, where I was born, address)
    • Family (people in my family, brothers- names and ages, what my parents do, do I get on well with my brothers/parents, do my parents give me freedom)
    • Pastimes (mainly: Music, sport, Reading. Why are pastimes good)
    • Typical Day
    • What I did last weekend
    • School (name, do I like it, numbers of students/teachers, atmosphere, facilities, subjects, favourite subject, subject I don't like)
    • What I want to do after School (Law, traits needed to do Law, what you have to do, where i'm going to college, for how long)
    • My Area (describe, facilities, people, advantages)

I think that's basically it! The comhra is only 7 minutes long anyway so I don't know how much more they could want. I know my poems basically off by heart at this stage and have a couple of Sraith's that are extremely strong (Namely 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 18, 19, 20). Do you think i'll be ok? Should be on at about 12.00 pm tomorrow. Did about 6 hours study today and about 6 yesterday too! <3

I'd also know some sort of topical stuff if I were you (recession, unemployment, etc) and the modh coinniollach - either bring it in yourself or prepare for a direct question - many people in my school were asked direct MC questions. I know you're OL but the oral is still the same, OL students in my school were asked questions that were just as hard, and sometimes harder than what the HL students were asked. I'd also prepare something on what you think of Irish/the Irish course. Also if you're going to bring up Law then perhaps prepare something in case they ask "And what would you do with a law degree?" or something along those lines, if you don't have it already. One girl in my year (also OL) said she wanted to work in a research lab, and was then asked what kind of things she'd do there, and she didn't have the vocabulary for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ClaireBearBoat

Had my oral earlier and it was grand, the examiner asked easy enough questions.. the time goes by so quickly with the general conversation, I'd swear I was only chatting for 2 minutes!

Maidir leis an sp? I got number 5 - Timpiste which was fine except silly old me decided to name both the man driving the car AND the man knocked down Seán.. you'd think I could come up with another name but no.. Mhothaigh Seán go dona.. Bhí "seán eile" gan aithne.. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Had mine today, and it went beautifully! :D
    Got picture 7 - déagóirí cróga
    In the comhrá I got asked about
    -Myself
    -My family
    -What would I like to do after leaving cert
    -Would I like to be a diver in the future (I mentioned that my brother's a diver)
    -My pastimes
    -Are there any problems associated with our education system
    -Have I ever been to a concert
    -Facilities for young people in my area
    -Social problems facing young people
    -Part time job
    -Pocket money
    -What would I do if I won the lotto
    -What do I think of global warming in general (I mentioned it in my lotto answer)

When she turned off the tape I got a bit of a shock as I thought we were only like halfway through it, the time literally FLIES!
    She was like well done, that was great! Then when I was leaving she patted me on the back :D what a woman <3
    Then I bounced around the walls a bit with glee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

Is cuma liom faoi gaeilge:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

F*cking done! F*ck yeah!!! Time to burn these poxy pictures!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

Just drop kicked the Sraith Pictures into the liffey. Cant wait to find them in Spain in 10 weeks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Missmiddleton

I had mine today and got one of the 3 picture stories I didn't know and "an Spailpín bloody fanach." Disgusted with how the whole thing went, I spent too much time fumbling over a story I didn't know and lost time for general conversation. Overall, it couldn't have gone worse.

I had mine today and got one of the 3 picture stories I didn't know and "an Spailpín bloody fanach." Disgusted with how the whole thing went, I spent too much time fumbling over a story I didn't know and lost time for general conversation. Overall, it couldn't have gone worse.

http://youtu.be/IwaJgz_CKmw

could be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

It's just so unfair. Some sraiths near the end are so much more difficult to talk about than the first few ones. And poems like geibheann and colscaradh are way easier than an spailpin fanach. Uggghhhh and today I got number 20 :( Ahhh well :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Same happened me but i got "an t-earrach thiar"
    Was so sickened :(

• Registered Users Posts: 47 BubblegumBitch

So mine was... interesting. (I'm OL, but aiming for a high result)

Poem I got was An tEarrach Hiarr which was brill.
    Sraith I got was #9... Couldn't have gone worse.
    Then for the cómhrá, I had a ****-load learnt off, but he kept asking me akward questions...

I said I wanted to do Psychiatric Nursing in DCU. I said how many points I needed, how long the course is, why I wanted to do it. So then he asked me to describe the daily routine of a Psychiatric Nurse which really threw me.

When it came to music, I said Britney Spears was my idol and that she was very inspirational. So he decided to ask WHY she was inspirational (Literally stared at him for ages so he just moved on...)

When I said Biology was my favourite subject and that I love doing practical work, he asked what kind of practical work I do in Biology.

Oh and when he asked about the school rules, I listed them and said that you get a note in your journal if you break the rules. So then he asked was there anything other than a note in your journal if you broke the rules!

My Irish teacher told me I'm the best in the class and I'm probably just being too hard on myself. She reckons he knew I knew it all and decided to push me that bit further.

I still think it was pretty **** tbh. I need at least a B1 in OL Irish (cos Im struggling to pass HL French so those two are my 'low points' subjects) and now I'm worried about getting that... Oh well, it's done now! Just gotta focus on the written aspect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

I actually feel like the luckiest student in Ireland right now! By some short miracle, the Sraith Pictiúir I got was the very first one, and I got Mo Ghrása (idir lúibíní) for the poem, and he gave me plenty of questions I knew how to answer, EXCLUDING an deireadh seachtaine which I was DREADING! Plus I got to use all the stuff I learned off. Happy out!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

Is it true that an examiner can only do 20 orals a day? I'm 21st on the list and I could really use tomorrow as a study day and not go into school, but I am afraid she might get 20 done and I could be the very last person on tomorrow. Anyone know anything about this?

Also when you bring in the poems in with you can you write the pronunciation above the words on the sheet? One of the teachers in our school said that it is fine, but it seems too simple/easy to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭brownstone

had mine monday.. got na déagoirí cróga..was handy enough.. wasnt asked anything difficult but some strange questions... about jewellery...:P was slightly taken aback.. Nothing to hard anyway. Just stay calm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Had mine today and was so so happy with how it went :)
    Our examiner apperently asked really horrible questions to loads others but honestly I thoguht the was lovely.

I got mo ghrasa idir luibini (MY FAVOURITE)
    and then sraith pictuir 11 - the gaelteacht one, which I also didnt mind. :)
    Then she asked me:
    My family
    What advice would I give to my sister coming into the school next year (brought in the rules myself)
    What I would do if I was principle
    What I think of the new Irish system
    My subjects (brought up my favourite - Irish)
    What I want to do after school
    How many points I got from my mocks
    Why I want to do it (brought in traits and stuff there)
    The health system (Because I want to do pyschology)
    This summer (said I had no plans and brought up last summer)
    My holidays in Italy - where exactly
    - was it difficult to understand the people
    - what did I think of Italians

Pretty much it I think, very straight forward, and very happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Irish94 wrote: »
    Is it true that an examiner can only do 20 orals a day? I'm 21st on the list and I could really use tomorrow as a study day and not go into school, but I am afraid she might get 20 done and I could be the very last person on tomorrow. Anyone know anything about this?

Also when you bring in the poems in with you can you write the pronunciation above the words on the sheet? One of the teachers in our school said that it is fine, but it seems too simple/easy to me!

Thats just an average figure. Its usually between 18 - 23 the most.
    Our examiners, for both french and irish have onl gotten through 18 a day the most though. Everyones different though, I wouldnt chance it

• Registered Users Posts: 24 l_f

How hard is the oral marked ?

I think I messed up my sraith pictuir !!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭shellita

Walked through the door she said, Dia Duit, I said Dia Duit oh no Dias Mhuire Duit, panicking like a thick.

Sat down, she asked my name, grand, then my age,
    to which I burst into tears, couldn't breathe = panic attack.
    She had to stop the take let me catch my breath and told me to calm down, she was lovely.

I did hons French in school and pass Irish 12 years ago. Wasn't that nervous, plus I did 5 year degree with 4 thesis presentations and I have never been like that before. I think its because I actually want to learn Irish and I don't want to have to do this next year. I would prefer to learn the language and not this course.

I was shaking as she asked me to read 3 verses of
    "Mo ghrasa idir luibini"
    Even though my pronunciation is always perfect I had been working on what words to emphasis, everything left me as I read it. 10 seconds flat I flew through it, was so dissapointed after when I realized what I had done.

Got sraith pictuir 11 - the gaelteacht one,
    felt much calmer then as it was one I could waffle about, forgot to give them names but was ok. I could barely hold the page with nerves.
    My 3 questions where simple, how many are there (made a mistake and said pictiúr amhain instead of sa chead pictiúr), what did they do at the beach, where did they stay.
    Then her 3 questions where easy too what was the name of the college, when did they go to the beach, what where they doing at the céile.

Then talking.......
    Why are you doing Irish again?
    What do you think of Irish? (Could have been is it dead or new course but not sure)I said I want to talk Irish then launched into family, boyfriend.
    How long you going out with him?
    Where do you do Irish classes?
    Do you have a job?
    Said all about my job, im a Software Engineer, have a degree, write Java scripts. Work between Mon - Fri, 9/10 hours a day.
    then she said do you have a job?
    I was so confused just sat and gave her a weird look then she said sorry you have a job.
    Are you going on holidays?
    I presumed she meant the summer and said no but I was on hols in Jan and talked about that.
    Pastimes?
    I said music & films, said my fav group was the BSBs I had a load prepared but she jumped in with Was I at the concert on Sat. I was, only said a few lines couldn't think said I went the pub after.
    What pub did you go to?
    Couldn't think of anything, so said I didn't know the name it was in the middle of town.
    Did I think alcohol was expensive?
    What was my favorite nightclub?

Then she asked me a verb I have never heard before, I asked her to repeat it please and she said blah blah Portugal or nightclub?
    then said do you like portugal or night clubs?
    I was so confused so said I like nightclubs and I would go to one this weekend and drink after.

Over all I don't think I have ever been so freaked out.
    Mortified about the beginning and the poem, through the marks away.
    Picture was ok, talking was ok.
    I need at least 20% so hoping I got that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 l_f

Are u doing it for primary teaching ! Iam anyway....need to get at least a C3

Absolutely rushed through my picture ...I got number 15 and don't even think I made any sense ! Hardly said anything at all for part 2 or 3 just completely panicked !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Adrenalin

Leftyflip wrote: »
    F*cking done! F*ck yeah!!! Time to burn these poxy pictures!

I certainly had fun with mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyNwdgdWKfA&feature=player_embedded

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭BrittneyC_xo

had my oral yesterday & oh my god, loved it ! our examiner was lovely and whenever i walked in i said 'dia duit' and she replied 'hey how's it going?' and continued to talk english until the tape started, so i was more at ease because she seemed so down to earth!

for the poem, i got gehibheann.. couldn't be happier !

okay.. maybe this is 'borderline' cheating, but my examiner let me choose my sraith picture!? so yeah, of-course i was going to choose sraith pictuir 1 about the student playing computer games and not doing enough study and focusing on his grades.. amazing! (:

and then she asked me basic questions: my family, my area, what i did last summer, what i'm planning on doing this summer, my subjects and which ones i love/hate, school facilities, where i plan on going to college and the point requirements, my pastimes, and then questions like how would i improve the economy, and what would i do if i won the lotto, so i was delighted with that !

she asked me about music and i mentioned to her that i adore lady gaga. and all-together, she spent about three whole minutes talking about lady gaga and her outrageous fashion sense and her musical style, and if i had ever seen her in concert.. and then after the oral exam finished, she told me how much she loves lady gaga & that she went to her concert last year. so yay, we had something in common! :D

really really loved it, compared to my french examiner! lol. ♥

Lets delete this thread now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Had mine yesterday, very last person. Had An spailpín fánach and Rialacha na scoile sraith pictiúir. Was glad all in all about how it went. I think the examiner was happy with me too. Haven't decided the fate of the sraithphictuiri yet though:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

It's actually annoying to see how many examiners let people choose their own sraiths, pretty sure they're well aware they shouldn't do it, and it's just giving people an unfair advantage over others. Bah.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I'm just jealous of the students, they didnt ask for it, but I hope the examiners get in sh*t when their tapes are listened to and its all Geibheann and Pic #1 :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Oh yeah I don't blame the students like, it's the examiners breaching the guidelines. Assuming there actually are guidelines about this :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Before she started the tape my examiner asked me did I have any nice poems for her :pac: then she told me that the sraith that I had picked looked quite hard and asked me did I want to change :p then to cover her tracks for the purpose of the tape she told me a poem to read which was the poem I'd picked and to pick a sraith as if I hadn't picked one already :pac: was pretty ridiculous I thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

had my oral yesterday & oh my god, loved it ! our examiner was lovely and whenever i walked in i said 'dia duit' and she replied 'hey how's it going?' and continued to talk english until the tape started, so i was more at ease because she seemed so down to earth!

for the poem, i got gehibheann.. couldn't be happier !

okay.. maybe this is 'borderline' cheating, but my examiner let me choose my sraith picture!? so yeah, of-course i was going to choose sraith pictuir 1 about the student playing computer games and not doing enough study and focusing on his grades.. amazing! (:

and then she asked me basic questions: my family, my area, what i did last summer, what i'm planning on doing this summer, my subjects and which ones i love/hate, school facilities, where i plan on going to college and the point requirements, my pastimes, and then questions like how would i improve the economy, and what would i do if i won the lotto, so i was delighted with that !

she asked me about music and i mentioned to her that i adore lady gaga. and all-together, she spent about three whole minutes talking about lady gaga and her outrageous fashion sense and her musical style, and if i had ever seen her in concert.. and then after the oral exam finished, she told me how much she loves lady gaga & that she went to her concert last year. so yay, we had something in common! :D

really really loved it, compared to my french examiner! lol. ♥

Rub it in :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

They actually let them choose again!? What's the point...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement