Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Corps Cadetship 2012

Options
  • 25-04-2012 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Good luck to everyone who applies :)

The Defence Forces are now accepting applications for Cadetships as follows:

Army (Line) - 21 places

Army (Equitation) - two places

Air Corps (Pilot) - five places

Naval Service - 14 places broken down into the following:

Operations - nine place

Marine Engineer - four place

Electrical Engineer - one place

Applications will only be accepted from candidates who meet the minimum eligibility criteria – No exceptions will be made

The application phase for this competition is due to close on the 13th of May 2012 – No applications will be accepted after this date

Find out more information on Officer Cadetships: http://www.military.ie/careers/army/cadetships

Start your Online Application: http://www.military.ie/careers/online-applications

If you have any specific queries please direct them to Recruitment and Competitions Section at 01-804 2653/ 2654 or recruitment@defenceforces.ie or see the CAREERS tab on this website: www.military.ie/careers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭conork93

My application is sent for the air corps cadetship :) good luck to everyone applying .

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Suits

Unless your father/mother is in the Air Corps it's "good luck" to all.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Suits wrote: »
    Unless your father/mother is in the Air Corps it's "good luck" to all.....:rolleyes:

Maybe you just wernt up to standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭GoGoGadget

If you apply with that train of thought you won't get far.. it's not the Dáil! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TPMP

I applied for the navy last week. One in 10k chance of getting the job!:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Applied for the Air Corps cadetship, not 100% sure if my vision is up to requirements, but no harm in applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

conork93 wrote: »
    My application is sent for the air corps cadetship :) good luck to everyone applying .

Good luck... to everyone? Very sporting of you, old chap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Was the rejection so bad that you had to make up this kind of **** to help yourself get over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 lillian2608

<Snip> selling commercial services please contact Hello@boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

<Snip> selling commercial services please contact Hello@boards.ie

If you wish to make money from this please become a verified rep by contacting Hello@boards.ie or Reps@boards.ie

No commercial selling here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 lillian2608

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hopefulaplican

Hey folks, do they check for photo ID on the day of interviews and/or fitness tests for the Air Corps??? If you could let me know quick that would be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 localcentra

Is it worth the bother to apply for this thing or would one be better off going down the commercial route to get your pilots wings,'
    How long do you have to sign up for with the army after you get the training with them or can you leave after you get your wings and then go to aerryanbus for the better money.
    Also could they train you just on choppers? this wouldnt be much good for the future prospects , it would be better to go on the jets first thing in my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Hey folks, do they check for photo ID on the day of interviews and/or fitness tests for the Air Corps??? If you could let me know quick that would be great!

Do you mind me asking why you would ask such a question? Would providing photo ID pose a problem for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Is it worth the bother to apply for this thing or would one be better off going down the commercial route to get your pilots wings,'
    How long do you have to sign up for with the army after you get the training with them or can you leave after you get your wings and then go to aerryanbus for the better money.
    Also could they train you just on choppers? this wouldnt be much good for the future prospects , it would be better to go on the jets first thing in my opinion anyway.

Short version of the reply you're going to get with a post like this:

The air corps cadetship is not a free and easy way into the commercial airline pilot business and treating it as such will not help your cause.

I'd say if you are asking this question then yes it is a waste of time for you to apply.

veetwin wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking why you would ask such a question? Would providing photo ID pose a problem for you?

Just say in a hypothetical situation, if for some reason a candidate decided they were unable to do the test/interview could a surrogate candidate step in without being caught?

Just say in a hypothetical situation, if for some reason a candidate decided they were unable to do the test/interview could a surrogate candidate step in without being caught?

Yes that is why I asked the question! See above reply to hopefulapplic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Yes that is why I asked the question!

This thread has taken a turn for the bizarre!

Carry on...

Yes that is why I asked the question!

So do they ask for ID or...

• Advertisement

So do they ask for ID or...

No..there will be no problem getting a mate who is fitter and better qualified to do any interview/test for you. Nothing bad could ever happen in this instance:rolleyes:

No..there will be no problem getting a mate who is fitter and better qualified to do any interview/test for you. Nothing bad could ever happen in this instance:rolleyes:

Ok... interesting, thought they might be more strict. One last question, if I rang Ryanair or Aer Lingus would they be able to give the e-mail addresses of any ex Air Corps pilots they have. I would just like a chat with a few.

[QUO

Ok... interesting, thought they might be more strict. One last question, if I rang Ryanair or Aer Lingus would they be able to give the e-mail addresses of any ex Air Corps pilots they have. I would just like a chat with a few.

Yeah I'm sure both airlines will have no problem giving out contact details for their pilots.

Yeah I'm sure both airlines will have no problem giving out contact details for their pilots.

Would you know any by any chance?

Would you know any by any chance?

Yeah I know plenty of pilots but unfortunately none former IAC.

Best of luck to you and who ever does the tests/interview!

Yeah I know plenty of pilots but unfortunately none former IAC.

Best of luck to you and who ever does the tests/interview!

Well I'd be interested in talking to any pilot, especially if they have an interest in military matters, or are willing to learn. Would they look young( mid 20's)?

For those who think I was rejected from the air corps I'd just like to let you know I didnt apply for the air corps ever. In any case my father was in the army(former army cadet) so if I did apply I most likely would have gotten it. As my goal was to be a commercial pilot I was told by the few air corps guys he knew to go direct to that and not get hitched for 8 years or so in a chopper.
    You have to serve a fixed term in the air corps and a lot of guys are put in helis which means they still have to do most of the post PPL things when the term ends to get into an airline...so if you wanna fly commercial as an end goal and want to use the air corps to get you there it isnt worth it really!

It is a pretty well known fact however that the air corps is a closed shop so I'm surprised people have reacted in such a way. When they opened recruitment for the DFs last time all the guys taken into the air corps were sons and daughters and that stat came direct from a DF recruiter at the higher options show.

So best of luck to everyone who applies....all I'm saying is there is a lot of nepotism in our military.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 localcentra

Hi there SUITS thanks for your very honest reply and your great insight into the selection process in the AIR CORPS.
    Why is it that they only take on family members of those already that are in it, surely it cant be that great a job ,the only attraction that i can see is the free training you get at the taxpayers expense,then you head off to the airlines or get a job with the private coastguard service .
    I think that it would be a good idea if some of our esteemed public representatives looked into this carry on and the waste of public money involved in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

For those who think I was rejected from the air corps I'd just like to let you know I didnt apply for the air corps ever. In any case my father was in the army(former army cadet) so if I did apply I most likely would have gotten it. As my goal was to be a commercial pilot I was told by the few air corps guys he knew to go direct to that and not get hitched for 8 years or so in a chopper.
    You have to serve a fixed term in the air corps and a lot of guys are put in helis which means they still have to do most of the post PPL things when the term ends to get into an airline...so if you wanna fly commercial as an end goal and want to use the air corps to get you there it isnt worth it really!

It is a pretty well known fact however that the air corps is a closed shop so I'm surprised people have reacted in such a way. When they opened recruitment for the DFs last time all the guys taken into the air corps were sons and daughters and that stat came direct from a DF recruiter at the higher options show.

So best of luck to everyone who applies....all I'm saying is there is a lot of nepotism in our military.

I agree with you about if you want to be a pilot go straight into commercial flight and dont mess around with the aer corps.

But come on the nepotism stuff is bull****, how many aer corps pilots are 2nd and 3rd generation ?? Theres always going to be rumours of nepotism with jobs like this, sure look at the thread on the Aer Lingus cadetship.

Also ALOT of people dont realise that they are getting into a military career, and that you have to do the basic training just like all the other soldiers (well thats what I got when I applied, maybe I wasnt successful because of nepotism :p)

• Advertisement

kona wrote: »
    I agree with you about if you want to be a pilot go straight into commercial flight and dont mess around with the aer corps.

But come on the nepotism stuff is bull****, how many aer corps pilots are 2nd and 3rd generation ?? Theres always going to be rumours of nepotism with jobs like this, sure look at the thread on the Aer Lingus cadetship.

Also ALOT of people dont realise that they are getting into a military career, and that you have to do the basic training just like all the other soldiers (well thats what I got when I applied, maybe I wasnt successful because of nepotism :p)

The running joke among officers in the DFs is that if there was a war vast parts of families would be wiped out, and also if we had the one son rule half the army would be sent home....However nepotism does not seem to extend to enlisted air corps personnel...just the cadets.

I'll give you an example....my brother is a 2nd LT in the army...his cadetship interview consisted of the panel asking how my dad was(he had to retire due to illness), he was asked a bit about playing rugby and told he'd make a good addition to the army's team with a smile.....

As far as I know also(my father told me this) there used to be no guarantee that you would get the air corps or navy, your performance in your basic officer training could dictate otherwise(ie fear of heights...cant swim) and currently there is even less chance of flying fixed wing aircraft. If you dont perform well in flight training also you will be stationed on the ground or in ATC....for 8 years.....I know at least 2 guys had that issue!

Any air corps guys I've ever spoken too havent really spoken too highly of the whole experience and seem to be counting the months until they can bail out.

Again on the commercial issue....I spoke to 2 guys doing their ATPLs after 8 years in the corps....I did my ppl in 6 weeks....they spent 8 years in the air corps flying helis....and we were more or less on an even footing with me, as they informed me their heli time would not be too much of an advantage for jobs.

You mentioned the aer lingus cadetship....and I suppose you can say that ANY cadetship should not be entered into without knowing all the facts.....seeing how the aer lingus one turned out so well!:rolleyes:

Advertisement