Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Corps Cadetship 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NewSigGuy

yaeger wrote: »
    Gonna have to suggest ladies put their handbags away ! Guilty myself in the past of to and fro but on this medium its pointless..

Suits you passed a few comments to me on a recent post which came across as a little arrogant, You seem to be very certain on a few points despite only been a newly minted cpl'er ... Lets all just get along and respect other people's views, Don't force them on people. I am sure you have some good points to add but to be fair your method of delivery is off putting...
    You would isolate yourself fairly quickly in any airline with that attitude.

Take it or leave it or bounce a reply... either way just suggesting a tone change. We all have a common interest here so lets cultivate it.

Actually retired as a Captain, I have to say the kind of drivel from Suits really needs to be contradicted strongly.

I didn't make any points, I stated facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Suits

I apologise if I come across wrong sometimes. However I am 100% certain of everything I have said, just as I am certain the sky is blue(or grey as it is today). I say it because I have seen it over and over and am there for sure of it.

If NewSig claims to be a former officer his mode of delivery and interpersonal tone certainly contradicts that(and I say that having lived 20 odd years with a high ranking officer and having many exchanges with him over various issues.). I would expect an officer to be able to make his point without causing conflict.
    IrishPilot66....well lets just say when I get into a debate here and a 1 post wonder pops up to weigh in on the other side.....I wonder where they came from.....

I would make a last point. Anyone who wants to join the Air Corps should do some homework, and when they do that they will see that there is a lack of info in the public domain about the DF as a whole, and when you see that you should have the objective drive to ask yourself why that is....and not just dive in without looking.
    The military is an ok career if you have the skills to go forward with it, and with the right attitude and drive you will get far. However as our military is the way it is and it isnt the ladder to a better future that you would get in Britain and the States. Unless you excel you will be entrapped. To be honest if I was going to join up I'd enlist and do some time before I committed to a career as an officer. Just toe get a taste of army life.
    If you want some military excitement join the RAF.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭XWB

I must say having read this thread I can see that the age old Air Corps v Everyone else battle persists.

I have resorted to long time reader long time since poster status here, however I could not resist having a say here.
    I fall between both stools here. In my day the Air Corps was a family business however there were a lot of people who got in on their merits. Downsizing of both scale of operation have meant that places are shorter and so fathers and mothers are hard pushed to get their children in. That doesn't mean they don't try and and it doesn't mean they don't succeed.

I flew with a lot of Air Corps retirees in Aer Lingus and I can tell you that Suit's tone would have made him more than popular with them. They were for the most part up their own backsides and had great difficulty falling under the command of us low down civilians. Most of them had 10-15 years and were still going through the Aer Lingus cadetship to get their CPL/ATPL. They felt themselves better than the civilians Aer Lingus cadets, but were often outshone both in the air and on paper. Suits is correct when he says that many come out of the Air Corps now without their ATPL theory done and must trek the road of the "normals" to CPL/IR. Government Jet crews and coastal patrol get up to IR I believe.

What spurred me on to post here was that I have some sympathy for Suits as he is in a way correct in some of what he says. I suspect his father along with all military fathers could well have gotten him into the military, although the Air Corps(as I believe he said his father was army) may have been a push.

It's long been known in aviation in Ireland(and I'm in it as a pro since the year of our lord 19 and 74) that the Air Corps methods of pilot selection are far from transparent. Every now and then a wings course minimum has been lowered to meet the General's son and people have cried fowl for years. But I think it's at the stage now where nobody cares and nobody who has dreams of the big jets really wants to Air Corps. 90% of the Air Corps is parade and SAR, and some pilots go their entire career without carrying munitions aboard their aircraft. I was told there has been 1 round in anger in the last 40 years(across the front of some fishing boat bringing guns to the IRA in Wexford).

So on the original point of this thread, good luck to those who apply. However if you see it as free flight training for your commercial career you are very wrong and will end up locked away for 10 or so years before you can get out and start with the airlines(maybe without a CPL). Research what you are getting into and dont let yourself be dragged in. To tweak an old aviation saying "better to be out here wishing you were in there, rather than in there wishing you were out here!"

So I say apply, they dont reserve all the places for 2nd-12th generation military children!;)

Dreamers...

No AC pilot ever joined Aer Lingus as a Cadet.

Many joined as Direct Entry Pilots but none joined as Cadets.. Thats a fact!

NewSigGuy wrote: »
    Dreamers...

No AC pilot ever joined Aer Lingus as a Cadet.

Many joined as Direct Entry Pilots but none joined as Cadets.. Thats a fact!

I am afraid you are mistaken sir.

Unless they had a CPL they joined via the cadet scheme to do their CPL onward. I trained with 6 and flew with more and so I can tell you that you that now.

Not every Air Corps pilot has his ATPL level licence when he leaves the Air Corps now and back in the 80s most enlisted personnel didn't have much more than basic fixed wing training. The Air Corps didnt train them all to CPL level for the exact reason that they would all use the Air Corps as free training for Aer Lingus and the turn over would be huge! That may not be the case now but it certainly was back then!
    The Air Corps is slimmer now than it was in the 70s and 80s, back then there were a lot more pilots who just flew coastal patrol or "recon" in light aircraft. They never moved on to the advanced training that was available for the elite. Pilots from the Air Corps who flew the jets often had higher level training and so qualified for Direct Entry. But an awful lot were like flying club members, just with a few 1000 hours.
    It was stated earlier by someone that Aer Lingus was a "pension scheme" and in a way it actually was in many respects.

• Advertisement

XWB wrote: »
    I am afraid you are mistaken sir.

Unless they had a CPL they joined via the cadet scheme to do their CPL onward. I trained with 6 and flew with more and so I can tell you that you that now.

Not every Air Corps pilot has his ATPL level licence when he leaves the Air Corps now and back in the 80s most enlisted personnel didn't have much more than basic fixed wing training. The Air Corps didnt train them all to CPL level for the exact reason that they would all use the Air Corps as free training for Aer Lingus and the turn over would be huge! That may not be the case now but it certainly was back then!
    The Air Corps is slimmer now than it was in the 70s and 80s, back then there were a lot more pilots who just flew coastal patrol or "recon" in light aircraft. They never moved on to the advanced training that was available for the elite. Pilots from the Air Corps who flew the jets often had higher level training and so qualified for Direct Entry. But an awful lot were like flying club members, just with a few 1000 hours.
    It was stated earlier by someone that Aer Lingus was a "pension scheme" and in a way it actually was in many respects.

As I said no AC pilot joined Aer Lingus as a Cadet, AC enlisted personnel may have joined Aer Lingus as Cadets but they were not AC pilots and had not received any AC flight Training.

I am sorry but you are mistaken in your description of AC pilots career progression and training even with regard to the 70's and 80's

As I said no AC pilot joined Aer Lingus as a Cadet, AC enlisted personnel may have joined Aer Lingus as Cadets but they were not AC pilots and had not received any AC flight Training.

I am sorry but you are mistaken in your description of AC pilots career progression and training even with regard to the 70's and 80's

Well I trained with guys who claimed to be Air Corps with 2000+ hours so unless they were having Aer Lingus on and Aer Lingus failed to notice I would be inclined to believe them!

Well I trained with guys who claimed to be Air Corps with 2000+ hours so unless they were having Aer Lingus on and Aer Lingus failed to notice I would be inclined to believe them!

Thats very interesting, why don't you PM me the names?

And then we can clear up the confusion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Totally unneccessary ad hominen attacks there, eitlean. XWB and Suits are clearly not the same person and your assessment of their flying skills is ridiculous.

This has turned into the usual confusing and distorted debate. For one thing, anyone who thinks there is no nepotism in the defence forces is extraordinarily naive. This is Ireland for heaven's sake. It's rampant and all too often obvious. Why should the military be the exception? But even without nepotism there is a strong tradition in any military for sons to follow a Father into the service. Like Father like son has more than a ring of truth. Of course it can't be proved but when it comes to the final decision on an appointment and you have a choice between the son of good old Col. Suits or a Butcher's son and you know how the decision will go.

Those who point out that there's an independant civil third party doing the initial interview ignores the fact that this is arelatively recent change. When I applied the interview panel on both interviews consisted solely of army officers. That was the system in place for many years. I'm not sure when the change happened but I would guess late nineties to early noughties.

XWBs point about Air Corps pilots arriving in Aer Lingus without a CPL rings true. However I think he's just a little out of date, sorry XWB. During the era XWB is from not everything was a cut and dried as it is now. Even RAF pilots have to get their civil licences before they can move onto the airlines. The idea that Aer Lingus, the state airline, remember, would facilitate Air Corps pilots is far from implausible. The Air Corps was always a significant source of pilots for Aer Lingus over the years. It doesn't happen anymore needless to say. Apart from anything else all Air Corps pilots get their civil licences before they leave the service now.

I should also point out the nepotism in Aer Lingus wasn't unknown either. I know of one cadet who didn't have the basic leaving cert results. But she was related to a senior pilot. So she was told to go and get the exams done after being selected.

I think the XWBs use of the word 'enlisted' confused the issue. Enlisted of course mean ordinary ranks. The word commissioned is more appropriate.

In any case, nepotism or no there are only five places this year. Not great odd for those keen on a career with the Air Corps.

eitlean wrote: »
    Would a moderator be able to tell us if the IPs of Suits and XWB are the same?

A very bitter and twisted person there. I wouldn't want to be up front with them - they'd be dangerous to fly with...
    I certainly think Suits is unSUITable for the pointy end. I'm no expert in personality but he strikes me as somebody that would grate against the majority...

Sorry can I put my own request in here. Might I ask that the mods look into the fact that eitlean now only posts here to launch personal attacks against me. He makes no contribution either way to any thread and most of his recent posts are personal attacks with very little to do with the post I have made. Seems he's developing a vendetta here....
    Crying alter-ego is a fairly desperate tactic on any forum...perhaps I'm xflyer as well...or perhaps I have a raft of profiles and anyone who agrees with me is me too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Why would you even think that Suits and XWB are one and the same, their opinions don't even match on most of the things mentioned here.And multiple accounts are not allowed as far as I remember.
    Clearly it's time for a Mod to have a look at this thread and clean it a bit.

eitlean wrote: »
    He?

I don't think I've personally attacked you. I've given my opinion based on your posts here which have been proved factually incorrect by DF personnel. You are aggressive also in your manner and tone.

I think it would be best for everybody and even for the protest against nepotism (which if you are correct on, I would be against too) if you were less insulting to people. You seem to have a vendetta against Air Corp pilots and their integrity which is out of order...

Any Mods able to confirm or deny my suspicions regarding Suits and XWB being the same?

If you are a she I apologise.

I believe I quoted above 2 personal attacks in plain view.

Those who claim to be DF personnel only claim to be and little things they have said call that into question.

I have no vendetta against the Air Corps, I just disagree with how the DF on the whole is run and how they select their members.

Do you ever feel like Baron Bomburst?:rolleyes:

I stopped posting here because I got tired of the back and forth and I can see not much has changed. I'd love to be suits, I'd love to be young! But alas I'm not.

For those who speculate about what makes a good pilot and who should be at the pointy end I can say that strength of conviction and a non combative nature will serve you well. So people in glass houses shouldn't throw insults at the kettle!
    Suits is arrogant, but so are most pilots! We're not a shy retiring lot! Humility will only get you so far and the rest is the confidence in your ability to step out of the old man's shadow and seize your 4 bars. They may all hate suits on the line but if they let that interfere with their professional relationship with him then they are the worst pilots! You're paid to fly the bird and not to get along with each other. Look at Captain Key on the BEA! Nobody liked him and it cost them their lives! You may hate your co-pilot, but at the end of the day he could save your ass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ross_oconnell

Is it worth the bother to apply for this thing or would one be better off going down the commercial route to get your pilots wings,'
    How long do you have to sign up for with the army after you get the training with them or can you leave after you get your wings and then go to aerryanbus for the better money.
    Also could they train you just on choppers? this wouldnt be much good for the future prospects , it would be better to go on the jets first thing in my opinion anyway.

It depends on what kind of flying you really want to do. I personally have much more of an interest in helicopters and do not ever wish to be an airline pilot so military flying would be right up my alley.
    The contract is 12 years. You train on fixed wing aircraft first and then you have a choice of transitioning to helicopters or furthering your training on fixed wing aircraft. Also, if you trained on choppers you should'nt have too much difficulty getting a job with a civilian helicopter operator after your military service is complete. Opportunities for experienced helicopter pilots exist in industries such as oil and gas (offshore), SAR, corporate, air ambulance, etc.

Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

One thing i've noticed in the ten years odd i've been posting here is that some people can just never accept advice or hear stories told by other people who have experience in their industry or speciality. They get taken as being pompous or know it alls even though all they are doing it offering real world advice, often earned through a lifetime of experience. XWB is right about some pilots being arrogant, but I think more then often they just get taken that way becuase its a profession that is built on gaining experience and moving up through the ranks. Just like medicine. A lot of surgeons I work with come across as arrogrant pricks, but they save lives on a daily basis and i'm sure don't mean to come across the way they do. I dont reckon anyone here hates the DF as such, but a lot obviously dont gree with its operation. I for one think the whole thing should be disbanded and some money pumped into healthcare but thats my own biased opinion :)

Eitlean there was clear personal abuse in your earlier post :(

Still waiting for the PM to clear up the confusion

xflyer wrote: »
    Totally unneccessary ad hominen attacks there, eitlean. XWB and Suits are clearly not the same person and your assessment of their flying skills is ridiculous.

This has turned into the usual confusing and distorted debate. For one thing, anyone who thinks there is no nepotism in the defence forces is extraordinarily naive. This is Ireland for heaven's sake. It's rampant and all too often obvious. Why should the military be the exception? But even without nepotism there is a strong tradition in any military for sons to follow a Father into the service. Like Father like son has more than a ring of truth. Of course it can't be proved but when it comes to the final decision on an appointment and you have a choice between the son of good old Col. Suits or a Butcher's son and you know how the decision will go.

Those who point out that there's an independant civil third party doing the initial interview ignores the fact that this is arelatively recent change. When I applied the interview panel on both interviews consisted solely of army officers. That was the system in place for many years. I'm not sure when the change happened but I would guess late nineties to early noughties.

XWBs point about Air Corps pilots arriving in Aer Lingus without a CPL rings true. However I think he's just a little out of date, sorry XWB. During the era XWB is from not everything was a cut and dried as it is now. Even RAF pilots have to get their civil licences before they can move onto the airlines. The idea that Aer Lingus, the state airline, remember, would facilitate Air Corps pilots is far from implausible. The Air Corps was always a significant source of pilots for Aer Lingus over the years. It doesn't happen anymore needless to say. Apart from anything else all Air Corps pilots get their civil licences before they leave the service now.

I should also point out the nepotism in Aer Lingus wasn't unknown either. I know of one cadet who didn't have the basic leaving cert results. But she was related to a senior pilot. So she was told to go and get the exams done after being selected.

I think the XWBs use of the word 'enlisted' confused the issue. Enlisted of course mean ordinary ranks. The word commissioned is more appropriate.

In any case, nepotism or no there are only five places this year. Not great odd for those keen on a career with the Air Corps.

I have to say this persistent belief by certain people on this forum regarding nepotism in the AC is really quite annoying.

My experience with the AC covers over 20yrs and I can say quite clearly in that time, Nepotism has not played a part in any selection for a cadetship.
    In fact I know of one senior officers son who was selected but subsequently failed his flight training and became a army officer(not from one of the Regular Air Corps cadet classes) therefore he had completed his infantry officer training before his flight training.
    Another very senior officers son took three attempts before he finally met the standard and was accepted for a cadetship.

The AC started using an outside professional pilot selection company in 1990 as far as I remember, the reason was not to do with nepotism, but was because of the high failure rate of candidates on the "Wings Course" which at the time ran well above 50%.

I don't think at any stage would Aer Lingus or any other Airline have hired a Pilot AC, RAF or otherwise without a License and to suggest otherwise is really not plausible.

I agree that XWB and suits are most likely not the same person, and I also agree about your assessment of there flying skills.

I don't think either has ever flown anything bigger then a C-152!

I agree that XWB and suits are most likely not the same person, and I also agree about your assessment of there flying skills.

I don't think either has ever flown anything bigger then a C-152!

I believe xflyer was defending my honor as far as my flight skills.

And to be honest that last bit from someone claiming to be a former Air Corps officer gave me a giggle. Given the heavy jets the Air Corps tend to operate!:rolleyes:

I left my days of convincing people I fly jets behind when I retired and didnt have to visit the sim every few months!;)

Oh could you answer me a question? You stated earlier in the thread that you "retired" as a captain, which seemed odd to me, as any former DF personnel who leave say at the age of 30 to pursue other things are not deemed "retired" as they cant draw their state pension and no Air Corps officer would make such a statement as they draw a clear line between "leaving" the Air Corps and "retiring from" the Air Corps. So I assume you were either not much of an officer and never advanced past Captain, or you made a faux pas in your untrue claim to be former DFs. You also stated you had been there 20 years...and to spend 20 years there and not advance past Captain is poor from my understanding of the DFs.

Or perhaps it was all just a slip...but it caught my attention as unusual!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭GoGoGadget

We made to the third 3rd page before the proper sniping began!!

In fairness to XWB he had a wealth of knowledge on the Aer Lingus Cadetship thread so I'd tend to believe he's an ex skipper.

Someone was looking for info on the Air Corps on the earlier posts. I applied a good few years ago, didn't get in but made it to the final interviews. Before applying I had an 2 A4 sheets full of questions I wanted answered which I couldn't find the answer to anywhere else so I called the Air Corps up directly. They were gents, returned my call and took half an hour out to go through each of my questions. So if you need answers give them a shout. Also, you could try get a tour, perhaps write a letter to them? If you don't ask you don't get and all that jazz..

I see a lot of people complaining about the 12 year contract. Look at it as a guaranteed job for 12 years.. not many jobs provide that level of security, least of all airlines!

Also, look at it as training that you get paid to do rather than pay to do. Fair enough in an ideal world young lads will have the 65k+ for a fATPL and another 30k floating around for a Ryanair TR (seem to be the only place consistently hiring). Not to mention the cost of living expenses and interest due if loans are taken out. But guys straight out of school/college don't have 2 pennies to rub together so this is a great opportunity.

Plus the training and subsequent flying looks really interesting, starting out on a PC9 trumps a C150 any day!

Again best of luck to everyone that applies.

I believe xflyer was defending my honor as far as my flight skills.

And to be honest that last bit from someone claiming to be a former Air Corps officer gave me a giggle. Given the heavy jets the Air Corps tend to operate!:rolleyes:

I left my days of convincing people I fly jets behind when I retired and didnt have to visit the sim every few months!;)

Oh could you answer me a question? You stated earlier in the thread that you "retired" as a captain, which seemed odd to me, as any former DF personnel who leave say at the age of 30 to pursue other things are not deemed "retired" as they cant draw their state pension and no Air Corps officer would make such a statement as they draw a clear line between "leaving" the Air Corps and "retiring from" the Air Corps. So I assume you were either not much of an officer and never advanced past Captain, or you made a faux pas in your untrue claim to be former DFs. You also stated you had been there 20 years...and to spend 20 years there and not advance past Captain is poor from my understanding of the DFs.

Or perhaps it was all just a slip...but it caught my attention as unusual!:)

I did retire in my early thirties, thats a good few years ago now, I was a Captain at that stage.
    Retire is the correct term, DF officers could retire after 12yrs pensionable service and receive the reduced pension from the date of retirement. I have been in receipt of my pension since the date of my retirement, it might sound strange, but it is the correct term. Of course in conversation I say I left the AC.
    I had the option to continue my service and Retire at 20yrs service(I would still have under 40) with the full 50% final retiring salary pension, I chose to leave and pursue a commercial career,
    Officers who joined after 1997 no longer had this option and now have to serve 20yrs to be entitled to a pension that is payable at age 55.

• Advertisement

I did retire in my early thirties, thats a good few years ago now, I was a Captain at that stage.
    Retire is the correct term, DF officers could retire after 12yrs pensionable service and receive the reduced pension from the date of retirement. I have been in receipt of my pension since the date of my retirement, it might sound strange, but it is the correct term. Of course in conversation I say I left the AC.
    I had the option to continue my service and Retire at 20yrs service(I would still have under 40) with the full 50% final retiring salary pension, I chose to leave and pursue a commercial career,
    Officers who joined after 1997 no longer had this option and now have to serve 20yrs to be entitled to a pension that is payable at age 55.

Well I shall take you at your word then. However I was corrected before by a former Air Corps officer in Aer Lingus about retiring and leaving. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Well I shall take you at your word then. However I was corrected before by a former Air Corps officer in Aer Lingus about retiring and leaving. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

If the individual said they left rather then retired, then I suggest they were not an Officer.

You don't seam entirely sure of the difference, e.g FLt SGT and CPL's are not officers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

I stopped posting here because I got tired of the back and forth and I can see not much has changed.

You stopped posting because you were caught telling blatant porkies on the cadet thread.

I have an issue with XWD, he has pontificated on these forums about the merits and specifics of the EI and AC cadetships, he has claimed that he is an Ex EI skipper who is back doing a couple of TA trips a week for EI on the A330.

I have checked the roster and EI do not have any contract A-330 pilots at the moment and have not had any on the A-330 for years if ever(there are 6 on the A-320 for the summer) I believe he is a dreamer and a bluffer here are some of his recent posts:

"Hi all. Been back at the grindstone of late so have no been here as much.

Just a quick peice of intel. 30 FOs have been let go(some just a few months off TR) due to bad performance on line. Word seems to be that the incoming cadets will fill this gap(although one would assume that leaves us short of crew for the next 18 months). Apparantly there have been near spinal and several other impact/jolting injuries to cabin crew and passengers alike.

Since 1974. Altho I did retire in 2010...but I'm back now doing 2 atlantic hops a week...plugging the gaps in the roster for them!

Sorry I was away the past few days...was renewing my a330 ratings and so on

I also had my 1:500,000 with me always just incase we were VFR..dont ask me why..?

Company SOP of thumb as of late is that the Icelandic/Canadian/RNLI/USCG can cover up to 300-450nm off their coast in quick enough time to prevent freezing to death (provided people are not floating exposed to any harsh elements). You dont have to be standing on the wing waving to shore!

Declare an emergency!

I did that in Baldonnel..I asked Mil Radar if I could have a touch and go and they said the could only get me in with an emergency..so I called up the tower and declared an emergency and asked to land and they asked me the nature of my emergency was..and I replied "what kind of emergency would you like me to have?"..i landed..rolled down the runway and then said it was all ok and carried on off again! 

See if they think you know what you are doing they are very flexible!For a major airport like JFK you will have a slot due to the volume of traffic(many times we were told to "continue approach number 6") . You arrive and land in your slot and in airports like that it is very much enforced and it is rare they will let you in earlier unless there is a slot available from a delayed or cancelled flight. So when you depart your airport you are basically going at a speed that will get you there in and around your slot to land. If you have a tailwind and fly faster you will have to slow down to not arrive too early. For example ATC will tell you "Do not cross Bangor, Maine earlier than 1400Z" which means you cannot cross that nav point etc before then.
    If you take off late however you can put the foot down and speed up and may fly faster and make your slot by making the time up as you dont have to slow down and also you still have a slot to keep. Eventhough you are say 30mins - and hour late you could still make it. An A330 going JFK - DUB with an decent tail wind could get across in 4 hours if the taps were open(when Donnacha O Callaghan's wife went into labour he was rushing back from UNICEF work in Haiti and flew form NY to Shannon. The Aer Lingus crew got permission to fly full whack and were in Shannon 4h 20mins after departure). Sometimes with a godd tailwind you have to slow down to stay sub-sonic!"

These quite clearly are all made up, I think the comment about staying "Sub-Sonic" really proves that he has no idea what he is talking about and is in fact a complete bluffer.

30 FO's were not let go, airlines don't plan a ditching 350-400nm out at sea because the emergency services can respond quickly, clearly at those distances the response would not be quick, and he obviously knows nothing about ETOPS.

For those guys who were interested in an EI cadetship and followed his posts they have been very badly misled and may have gotten a very bad impression of EI and the cadet programme, this was unfortunate.

His posts about the AC are equally misguided and plane wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bladeruner

GoGoGadget wrote: »
    In fairness to XWB he had a wealth of knowledge on the Aer Lingus Cadetship thread so I'd tend to believe he's an ex skipper

I'm sorry but did you not continue reading to the point where XWB's 'contribution' to that thread was rather discredited ?

Anyway, as regards the AC , of course theres a bit of nepotism , as someone has already pointed out , it's Ireland were talking about for jasus sake.
    But no more so then any other job or industry in this country.

I was offered a cadetship back in the day and I have no family connection with any armed service or Goverment officials.
    Just dumb luck.

Where else is this thread going ?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Milan Cobian

An A330 going JFK - DUB with an decent tail wind could get across in 4 hours if the taps were open

JFK-DUB is approx. 2800NM. At M0.85 you'd need a 250kt tailwind the whole way to do in 4 hours.... Might happen, but it wouldn't be every day.

bladeruner wrote: »
    I'm sorry but did you not continue reading to the point where XWB's 'contribution' to that thread was rather discredited ?

Anyway, as regards the AC , of course theres a bit of nepotism , as someone has already pointed out , it's Ireland were talking about for jasus sake.
    But no more so then any other job or industry in this country.

I was offered a cadetship back in the day and I have no family connection with any armed service or Goverment officials.
    Just dumb luck.

Look back through this thread and Guys are still under the impression that XWB is an ex EI Captain, and this is clearly not the case, his comments about staying sub-sonic are the most revealing I believe, as EI never operated Concorde.

There is no nepotism in AC Cadet selection.

If guys are looking to discus the AC Cadet option please do so, but please ignore such contentious, unfounded and wrong statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭GoGoGadget

I'm sorry but did you not continue reading to the point where XWB's 'contribution' to that thread was rather discredited

Seriously? From what I remember there was the usual oneupmanship and sniping with people trying to discredit each other and it's clearly back.

If someone says they were a skipper, don or whatever fair enough but I'm not going to go Poirot on them. Maybe XWB is another Frank Abagnale, no one will know for certain and to be fair it makes no difference.

What I was saying was at the time I was reading through his posts on the other cadet page I thought his posts were informative, well written and he seemed to be clued in.

I spat my coffee out when I seen the detail picking up on Freudian slips and all.. "If the individual said they left rather then retired, then I suggest they were not an Officer" and even going through his post history!!

On second thought Poirot doesn't have a patch.. :D

poirot.jpg

GoGoGadget wrote: »
    Seriously? From what I remember there was the usual oneupmanship and sniping with people trying to discredit each other and it's clearly back.

If someone says they were a skipper, don or whatever fair enough but I'm not going to go Poirot on them. Maybe XWB is another Frank Abagnale, no one will know for certain and to be fair it makes no difference.

What I was saying was at the time I was reading through his posts on the other cadet page I thought his posts were informative, well written and he seemed to be clued in.
    On second thought Poirot doesn't have a patch.. :D

poirot.jpg

I spat my coffee out when I seen the detail picking up on Freudian slips and all.. "If the individual said they left rather then retired, then I suggest they were not an Officer" and even going through his post history!!

Thanks, I may have been dragged down a couple of levels, or up depending on your perspective, but in fairness XWB tried to discredit me. I think any AC Officer would agree on the importance of accurate information. Remember as a Cadet the rule to guide your training is "Attention to Detail"

Lets be honest a fair and open discussion about the merits of applying for a cadetship and some valuable Gen for prospective candidates would be better served without the Dreamers and BS Artists.

I suggest you reread XWB's post on the EI cadet thread and I think the reality of his knowledge will become more apparent. He was clearly never an Aer Lingus Pilot.

Now has anyone anyone any questions or constructive comments about the AC Cadetship, maybe the thread can get back on track

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭TW Mr Tayto

How about this:

I'm a PPL(H) applying for the cadetship this year (doing the LC ).
    I'm guessing I should mention my license in the interview (if I get there) - not in a snobby sort of way but plug that my basic understanding of concepts like met. and p.o.f. will have a solid ground upon which to build upon etc. Am I wrong? Should I keep my trap shut about it?

If I DO bring them, should I bring my license/training records to the interview?

Other than the PPL issue, any tips for the interview stage (hopefully I'll get there...) ?

To be clear: I don't see this as a cheap way to a CPL... this is the kind of flying I'd love to do - GASU chopper etc.

Advertisement