Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferguson Ariva 120 Users Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

paddydu wrote: »
    Ferguson Ariva 120, Black aerated Sky dish, Soarview aerial, supplied and fitted ScanTv from 160euro

did you get a VAT reciept and guarantee, and did you check his PLI before he started work,

if you did receive the above ScanTv should be listed as a registered charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭s_gr

Ferguson Ariva 120, Black aerated Sky dish, Soarview aerial, supplied and fitted ScanTv from 160euro

This is the most blantant advertising ive seen in a while.....surely mods this isnt allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭paddydu

ye I suppose 250e isn't that bad but why pay that when you can get it a lot cheaper. There's a recession on for most of us so people like me have to shop around to get the best deal on everything, and the guy who supplied and fitted mine for 160e did a great job why on earth would I pay more for the same thing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

ye I suppose 250e isn't that bad but why pay that when you can get it a lot cheaper. There's a recession on for most of us so people like me have to shop around to get the best deal on everything, and the guy who supplied and fitted mine for 160e did a great job why on earth would I pay more for the same thing..

What would happen if he fell off your roof?

luckily my dish was only fitted on the balcony 1st floor and I would have fitted it myself at that price but he included fitting in the deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

luckily my dish was only fitted on the balcony 1st floor and I would have fitted it myself at that price but he included fitting in the deal.
    tvtrade.ie offered to upgrade the box to an Optium CX61 for a small extra charge of 8.75. W

Well since you no longer have an Ariva 120 I see no futher reason for you to post in this thread.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

What if he slipped on your balcony and cracked his head open. What if he knocked over your TV while fitting and legged it out the door.

Fair enough, you got the job done and are happy with it. It's not wise to be promoting people without cover and a public forum certainly isn't the place to be promoting one who doesn't pay VAT or TAX on the earnings. This work isn't possible at these prices by a legit installer with business overheads, public liability cover and VAT.

what r u on about?? of course I have an Ariva 120 thats what I bought and had fitted and I am real happy with it

what r u on about?? of course I have an Ariva 120 thats what I bought and had fitted and I am real happy with it

Then why this ?

tvtrade.ie offered to upgrade the box to an Optium CX61 for a small extra charge of 8.75. W

Well I don't know what the mans business situation is but he was a nice guy who offered a follow up service and delivered on that and you have to admire any one who is trying his best in this recession to get buy and feed his family just like I am. I have been in business for 18yrs and I have had to diversify so many times from manufacturing in textiles to construction and it has always been about price and service with the customer if you can deliver on both and be honest you can't fail.

• Advertisement

be honest you can't fail.

So wheres the honesty in not paying vat , insurance or tax . You seem to be deliberately missing the point here, it is simply impossible for this guy to supply and fit at this price and be tax compliant, the numbers just do not add up . I would have thought that someone who claimed to be in business for 18 years as you do would see the logic of this.

Ye Tony I didn't take David's offer up at Tvtrade, I was merely asking him for advice about the problem I had with the first box and he told me that they had had a lot of problems with it as well and he offered to take mine off me with me giving them the extra 8.75 for the exchange upgrade to the optium CX61. I didn't want to do that because my mate has had the Ariva 120 for the last 8 months and swears by it and I liked it and it simplicity to use. So I just had James at Scan tv replace the initial one, and I am quite happy with it now. I have been reading this forum since it was created for the 120, I like the technical support you guys offer each other when there is a problem that's what made me decide to plum for the Ariva 120 and not say a set up from Lidl or Aldi. So I am grateful to you all for all the info i have gained its a great forum

Thanks for clarifying that

Ye Tony I didn't take David's offer up at Tvtrade, I was merely asking him for advice about the problem I

I do see the logic Tony and agree with you but remember I was the customer and do not know his situation maybe he is starting out or maybe he gets the boxes in bulk from Poland because remember these are old now in the satellite world, tvtrade have stopped getting them in and are only selling off there old ones at a low price. Anyway why does it bother you I thought you and the other members of this forum would be delighted to hear that there are others supplying a service for people like us.

I do see the logic Tony and agree with you but remember I was the customer and do not know his situation maybe he is starting out or maybe he gets the boxes in bulk from Poland

This is getting confusing, I thought you said he got it from Tv trade and if not why would tv trade offer to replace it for you with another box ?

Its doubtful your installer buys directly from Poland and even if he did the numbers still don't add up.

Anyway why does it bother you I thought you and the other members of this forum would be delighted to hear that there are others supplying a service for people like us.

I'm all for competition , I think its very healthy but it has to be on a level playing field IE tax compliant and paying insurance. Unfair competition and bad practice that ultimately hurts our industry definitely bothers me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Digitaltv

Is this fella for real a complete install : (SCANTV) just checked this done deal add.

Receiver,
    Dish,
    LNB,
    Aerial,
    Mounting bracket.

€160:00 installed.

has anybody got pictures ? does he have PL, Experience, VAT, Is he getting the equipment from a ex sky installer, or the back of a lorry ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Digitaltv wrote: »
    Is this fella for real a complete install : (SCANTV) just checked this done deal add.

Receiver,
    Dish,
    LNB,
    Aerial,
    Mounting bracket.

€160:00 installed.

has anybody got pictures ? does he have PL, Experience, VAT, Is he getting the equipment from a ex sky installer, or the back of a lorry ?

Well you know the old saying about when something seems too good to be true.

I don't know how anyone here could answer your questions re his VAT compliance and experience, or where he is getting the equipment.

Personally I'd avoid him and stick to the more reputable companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Question re:timed recording.
    Just trying to record something tonight, and it won't accept the command, and i think it is because it is straddling 12 midnight (will accept record instructions either side of midnight). Has anyone else noticed this glitch and is there anyway around it?
    (if this is in the wrong place mods feel free to move)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

Question re:timed recording.
    Just trying to record something tonight, and it won't accept the command, and i think it is because it is straddling 12 midnight (will accept record instructions either side of midnight). Has anyone else noticed this glitch and is there anyway around it?
    (if this is in the wrong place mods feel free to move)

On the contrary;it just might get the thread back on track;)

Sorry, cant help you with your query though. I have the box but dont use it to record. I'm sure the answer will come soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 uhooie

norbert64 wrote: »
    Linkage
    http://yamb.unite-video.com/

Mind you, I find running mp4/ts files through mkvmerge and exporting/converting to mkv can also proof quite fruitful a lot of the time. :cool:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Other-VIDEO-Tools/MKVToolnix.shtml

I figure it might now be safe to return to the page 31 topic of playing .MP4 media files.

I used MKVToolnix, as recommended by norbert64 to convert the file, and I increased the frame rate to 25fps, as recommended by STB (I eventually figured how to 'stretch' the audio to keep it in sync). When I played the .MKV file the original problem remained, within the first 60 seconds the video freezes while audio continues. I tried several frame rates between 20 and 30fps. While there may be some correlation between the frame rate and the freeze time, what the unit was doing before play back seems to have a bigger impact. The freezing almost always occurs between 30 – 60 seconds, but can occur within 2 seconds if fresh after a reboot.

BTW: I used VLC to confirm the frame rates had changed and also the Ariva showed extended or reduced playback times for each file.

Any suggestions on how to get this working would be welcome. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Mikemag

Just switched on one of these and got the dreaded ASH on the display:( Oddly enough, the box is in a bedroom and wouldn't be used half as much as the one in the living room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Bit of chat over in the "free sky channels" thread about getting the white sky card to work in the ariva 120, they came to the conclusion that its not possible to unscramble viva, pick tv etc. Has anyone in this thread been more successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

I think it depends on your FTV card. Some people (me included) have recently ordered and received FTV card from Setanta - but this appears to only clear Free to View programmes on Setanta channels.

It was suggested by another contributor here that I should leave Setanta card in SKY box overnight to see if it would update it and clear other channels - did it last night but no success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

I think it depends on your FTV card. Some people (me included) have recently ordered and received FTV card from Setanta - but this appears to only clear Free to View programmes on Setanta channels.

It was suggested by another contributor here that I should leave Setanta card in SKY box overnight to see if it would update it and clear other channels - did it last night but no success.

I have setanta/Sound and vision scheme card in Ariva 120, It clears Sony tv and +1, Liverpool Tv, Motors Tv, Viva and Setanta Freeview programs. (It does not clear pick tv as setanta card does not clear this channel) (A UK ftv card clears pick tv)
    To clear above channels you MUST contact setanta to get them to activate card in a sky box first. When you can view sony tv on sky box then you can transfer card to Ariva receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Cheers give credit. I simply e-mailed them to activate the card which they confirmed but I didn't have in a SKY box at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

Hi guys,i got an ariva 120 combo last week and will be setting it up shortly for the brother,i checked it out and its working fine,im after setting up the box as he would want it with all the favourites sorted for him but i see that the firmware in his reciever is V2.14B4,has the newer firmware(v2.18B2) any real advantage over the version thats in the reciever at present,also what the best channel list atm on 28e,hope im not hijacking the thread but i think all the ariva querys are supposed to on this one,regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Cheers give credit. I simply e-mailed them to activate the card which they confirmed but I didn't have in a SKY box at the time

Put card in sky box. If you have not given setanta details of sky box, ie serial number and version number contact them again. These details can be found under services/system details.

Believe setanta office hours are 9.30-6.00pm mon-fri. Not available at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

minterno wrote: »
    Hi guys,i got an ariva 120 combo last week and will be setting it up shortly for the brother,i checked it out and its working fine,im after setting up the box as he would want it with all the favourites sorted for him but i see that the firmware in his reciever is V2.14B4,has the newer firmware(v2.18B2) any real advantage over the version thats in the reciever at present,also what the best channel list atm on 28e,hope im not hijacking the thread but i think all the ariva querys are supposed to on this one,regards

youre in the right place. Apart from the old lip sync issues experienced, I've never seen any reason to upgrade the FW in this unit. Strengthened by the reports of bricking and installation of non-compliant channel lists adding to the problems. If you are happy with how its working, then leave it alone. If you want to upgrade FW and install a compatable channel list then see here

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

For some reason all my Sat channels were numbered 500. Decided to upgrade the firmware since I'd be clearing the channel list.
    Firmware updated fine over the network.
    Scanned and added terrestrial channels.
    Scanned and added sat channels.
    Moved channels around a bit.

Now when I select a terestrial channel it's telling me "no signal" or else it stays on the sat channel.
    When I try scanning the terestrial again, it finds them but when you click ok, it reboots, and still can't see them.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

dodzy wrote: »
    youre in the right place. Apart from the old lip sync issues experienced, I've never seen any reason to upgrade the FW in this unit. Strengthened by the reports of bricking and installation of non-compliant channel lists adding to the problems. If you are happy with how its working, then leave it alone. If you want to upgrade FW and install a compatable channel list then see here
    thanks dodzy,I think your spot on about the firmware,if its not broke dont fix it,i have been doing a little reading and can see that some units were either bricked or just failed and as the unit is for someone else i will leave well enough alone,cheers

Advertisement