Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferguson Ariva 120 Users Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Some "Freeview" labeled tvs work with Saorview too; what's the make & model?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Some "Freeview" labeled tvs work with Saorview too; what's the make & model?

Samsung LE40C750 many thanks for reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Hootanany wrote: »
    Samsung LE40C750 many thanks for reply.

Works fine with Saorview.

Your problem is the positioning of the indoor aerial. It needs to be near a window cill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

STB wrote: »
    Works fine with Saorview.

Your problem is the positioning of the indoor aerial. It needs to be near a window cill.

Its nowhere near a window:confused:
    Thanks to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

Hi Tony, is it possible to collect and pay for an Ariva 120 from you in Dublin (from your store)? I don't have a credit card. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Zilog wrote: »
    Hi Tony, is it possible to collect and pay for an Ariva 120 from you in Dublin (from your store)? I don't have a credit card. Thanks

Sorry I cannot answer here as commercial interaction is not allowed on this forum.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

Understood, thanks for the reply. Apologies, don't want to contravene any forum rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Zilog wrote: »

If you want to ask tony a question about a potential purchase of this great little receiver I suggest you try here:

http://www.satellite.ie/cgi-bin/mf000001.pl?ACTION=SHOWFORM

Thanks to all.

Well unfortunately it has to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

anxie wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I just got a replacement Ariva 120 after my first one gave up.
    There seems to be an intermittent but persistent problem with the sound.
    On several stations the sound drops briefly for a second or less. It has happened as frequently as every 10 seconds or less, sometimes longer gaps.
    The video feed remains smooth and is not interrupted.
    I have seen it on RTE & TV3 and on the Satellite feed on ITVHD and Sky News.

Not sure if I am losing the plot, but it seemed to be worse if I switched from the saorview stations where it is a pronounced problem over to satellite stations.
    For example, after watching 10 dreary minutes of Sky News I didn't spot it happening, then on to ITV and BBC where it also seemed absent. However, when I rechecked it on TV3 and heard it happening again, I went back to Sky News and it was happening every few seconds.

Just wondering if anyone has experience on this, or advice as to what to check or set.

Checking the setup it is on maincode v2.18B2
    The only change I made on receiving this new box is to add in the saorview feed channels.
    The previous box worked fine on the same feeds

Same with my recent replacement. Sound is perfect until after you have changed channels. Then it will start happening, even if you change back to the original channel. Power off and back on, and it's fine again, until you change again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

STB wrote: »
    Thanks to all.

Well unfortunately it has to be!

My attic has no windows. But yes, the "thinnest part of the wall" usually works best for UHF.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Point it at an air vent

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

One thing ive found with the Ariva is it doesnt like long cable runs. Doesnt seem to have a voltage increase setting as well like a lot of receivers to increase voltage on long cable runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

snaps wrote: »
    One thing ive found with the Ariva is it doesnt like long cable runs. Doesnt seem to have a voltage increase setting as well like a lot of receivers to increase voltage on long cable runs.

The voltage for what? ..... sorry don't understand ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

5v from the aerial?

The 5v is to provide power to an aerial not already powered independently like one of these for example which I use.

funke-dsc210-45t-dvb-t-binnenantenne.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Billyie

helo..hope some one can lend an ear.....tired now of so much trying and testing....but failing...
    its to do with the Lan port on my Ariva 120...
    seemingly its supposed to be user set to ON and comes by default set to OFF....
    so into the menu...tools,.,,network local seting.....and click on network local settings.and there is DHCP set as default to OFF...
    and it is user changeable to ON....but i cannot get it to stay as set...to ON.
    i am also informed once set it should tell me that it has got an IP ( ...from my router i expect....!!!)...?
    and i have been informed to press exit on remote from this menu..and the DHCP should stay ON....
    but when i do this and go back and check dhcp..it has gone back to default setting OFF...!!!

i am trying to use the web radio.... that this receiver seems good at..but i could not give an opinion on that,as i cannot try it...so am i doing something wrong..or missing something...??

BTW i am using a wired connection..and have tested the wired connection by using a laptop.....which had wireless disabled..so any internet activity would only be by using the wired connecton..which did work using the wired connection to the laptop.. and so dhcp would have worked for this laptop to enable it have internet usage.....??? am i correct...??

maybe i need to return the Ariva for replacement...?? but if you can solve this it would be great...thanks..billyie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The voltage for what? ..... sorry don't understand ....
    for satellite. Most Recievers have a setting to add .5v to the lnb supply. So you can compensate for voltage loss on long cable runs. Thus providing the lnb with 13.5 or 18.5 volts

for satellite. Most Recievers have a setting to add .5v to the lnb supply. So you can compensate for voltage loss on long cable runs. Thus providing the lnb with 13.5 or 18.5 volts
    STB wrote:
    The 5v is to provide power to an aerial not already powered independently like one of these for example which I use.

:confused:

Billyie wrote: »
    helo..hope some one can lend an ear.....tired now of so much trying and testing....but failing...
    its to do with the Lan port on my Ariva 120...
    seemingly its supposed to be user set to ON and comes by default set to OFF....
    so into the menu...tools,.,,network local seting.....and click on network local settings.and there is DHCP set as default to OFF...
    and it is user changeable to ON....but i cannot get it to stay as set...to ON.
    i am also informed once set it should tell me that it has got an IP ( ...from my router i expect....!!!)...?
    and i have been informed to press exit on remote from this menu..and the DHCP should stay ON....
    but when i do this and go back and check dhcp..it has gone back to default setting OFF...!!!

i am trying to use the web radio.... that this receiver seems good at..but i could not give an opinion on that,as i cannot try it...so am i doing something wrong..or missing something...??

BTW i am using a wired connection..and have tested the wired connection by using a laptop.....which had wireless disabled..so any internet activity would only be by using the wired connecton..which did work using the wired connection to the laptop.. and so dhcp would have worked for this laptop to enable it have internet usage.....??? am i correct...??

maybe i need to return the Ariva for replacement...?? but if you can solve this it would be great...thanks..billyie

It can take some time for the box to negotiate an IP address.
    I recall having problems too ..... but it was the way I was doing it.
    Exit out when you think you have things right, and then go back into the menu.

When it gets an IP address during boot up, it displays a message on screen.

• Advertisement

:confused:

I didnt know what he was talking about either.

What I assumed he was talking about was the 5v option that you can turn on in these boxes, ie phantom power for something like the aerial I linked to above! Its not 0.5v - its 5v and nothing to do with LNBs. Purely power to aerial on aerial input.

I have not seen the 0.5v for long cable runs on any recent receivers that I have owned, both cheap and expensive. But I understand Golden Media Unibox does have this facility if voltage loss over distance is an issue on the satellite side.

Hello...Thanks Johnboy......
    great to have ya help....... but can i ask what sort of time frame are we thinking of to give the Ariva 120 time to find an ip address....is it in minutes..or even 5 mins...or more ..especially the first setting of this...??
    (Just as a loose tool for me to giude it next time i try for it...)

And can i ask.....you say at boot up..it should display on the screen that it has found an IP address...i take it that is after the initial set up..and going forward... meaning each time i turn on this box it should put up a message on the tv that an IP address was found...??

i just want to get it clear in my head..so as to try these things before returning it to supplier...

and one last thing...is it a problem that each time i plug and un plug ethernet cable from the LAN port on the back of the Ariva 120..the lights that come on when this cable is plugged in dont always come on...say if plugged in 10 times..the lights might only turn on once or twice during those 10 plug ins ....should every plug in of the ethernet cable turn on the lights.....???? ( so wondering if prob with the LAN port on box...?)

but maybe im wrong...hope for ya thouhgts.....and hope not to bother you... Regards Billyie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Quick question lads, I finally got rid of Sky and have connected one lead to the lnb in port on the Arivia box and everything works fine. (not into HD) but,

Should I connect the other lead to the lnb out port on the Arivia box.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

By 'other lead' do you mean the 2nd lnb feed for Sky+? If that's the case, just leave it unconnected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Quick question lads, I finally got rid of Sky and have connected one lead to the lnb in port on the Arivia box and everything works fine. (not into HD) but,

Should I connect the other lead to the lnb out port on the Arivia box.

No. You obviously had Sky +, this needs 2 feeds from the dish. The Ariva only uses one, the other is not needed

Billyie wrote: »
    Hello...Thanks Johnboy......
    great to have ya help....... but can i ask what sort of time frame are we thinking of to give the Ariva 120 time to find an ip address....is it in minutes..or even 5 mins...or more ..especially the first setting of this...??
    (Just as a loose tool for me to giude it next time i try for it...)

And can i ask.....you say at boot up..it should display on the screen that it has found an IP address...i take it that is after the initial set up..and going forward... meaning each time i turn on this box it should put up a message on the tv that an IP address was found...??

i just want to get it clear in my head..so as to try these things before returning it to supplier...

and one last thing...is it a problem that each time i plug and un plug ethernet cable from the LAN port on the back of the Ariva 120..the lights that come on when this cable is plugged in dont always come on...say if plugged in 10 times..the lights might only turn on once or twice during those 10 plug ins ....should every plug in of the ethernet cable turn on the lights.....???? ( so wondering if prob with the LAN port on box...?)

but maybe im wrong...hope for ya thouhgts.....and hope not to bother you... Regards Billyie

OK, I tried the following this morning ........

Disconnected the STB from the router
    Went into the STB menu to Tools - "Network Local Setting"
    There I turned DHCP to "OFF", and also entered Zeros in all the IP entries underneath. The only entry I did not change was the MAC Address.
    I exited the Menu.
    I powered off the STB with the remote.
    I powered it ON again, with the remote.

Once powered up, I connected the ethernet cable, went back into the menu as before, and changed DHCP to "ON".

Within 30 secs or so I got two messages flashed on screen (didn't see the first), the second of which said it had found an IP address or something to that effect.
    The menu then automatically left the set up screen and dropped me back to the Tools menu page.

On re-entering the "Network Local Setting" page, I saw all the IP entries (except "DNS Secondary" which has all zeros) were now populated, and greyed out.

From the "Information" page I see that I have 'Main Code' of
    V2.15B5

Make sure your router is set up to issue IP addresses automatically, and has no limits that might affect this.

Previous versions of the Main Code may be a little different in reaction to the setup, but should essentially do the same thing.
    I recall having some difficulties setting up the ethernet connection, when I got the STB first - that was most likely my own doing :D

If the above does not work, then DHCP can be set to "OFF" and the IPs entered manually.

I hope some of the above helps ;)

EDIT:
    A thought occurred to me ....... the internet radio cannot work unless there is some storage device attached to the STB to hold the downloaded information about the stations. The Media Player will be greyed out if no storage device is attached.
    Would this be your problem?

You can check if the IP address has been issued to the STB by entering the router set up and checking if the STB is listed there.

Hi Johnboy...wow thanks a million for that reply.....im at work now..but wil try this once i get home later....and will get back to you later this evening here at this thread with a reply worthy of your help...and let you know how i got on....this is massive for me..thanks again..,,,really into this..and seems you might be aswell...!! THANKS...billyie

Hey johnboy im home now..and have tried your procedure and it works....
    so what can i say..i could jumo up and down..but that doesnt say it for me..its terrific..bloody terriifc...thanks....
    now onto see if i can get ioot the web radio....and to answer some of ya queries in ya last and siuccessful message to me...

a)The ip address took approx 2mins to load..is that normal.or ok...???

b)i also have firmware v2.15B5 loaded..but i did have v2.18B2 loaded originally....but thought it might be a software issue while trying to solve the dhcp issue...and loaded an older version to se if made any differance..but it did nt.... i ask if same procedure to load an ip address would work with the v2.18B2 firmware...?

c)The issue about having a device loaded on the Ariva 120 as storage when trying the web radio thing...i did have a usb stick inserted..cos as you point out no media use can be had using Ariva 120 until you load usb connection...cos as you say that entry is actually greyed out until such a connection is made..but as we both know now...i could never get the web radio wihtout the dhcp set to ON..and now i can try for that..cos surely i have internet access now..through this box..Thanks to you..

d)And i did the test to check if an IP address was now to be found for the Ariva 120 in my router..and there it was..the correct address that i saw in the menu of the Ariva...so again..Thanks..its handy to know these littlle tricks to test or where to look ....depending on the situation..a big thanks...n

so for now i can play with the Ariva ..i hope its easier now to get the radio channels going ...great help.....thanks...

footnote:
    guys this is the forum to use.....i tried other forums...but here is where the solouton was found..THANKS
    (ESPECIALLY THANKS TO jOHNBOY)

Regards........ billyie

I am happy that it worked for you ;) Glad I could help.
    a)The ip address took approx 2mins to load..is that normal.or ok...???

It is OK .... no worries at all. As I mentioned in my original response, I remember a similar delay.
    I am guessing ... probably to do with the communications between the STB and the router.

Probably the same procedure is used for all versions of the firmware. I wouldn't remember such details, in truth.

Have fun with the radio :D

I haven't used it for a while ..... but be careful if you create a personal listing, that you don't overwrite it by grabbing the listings from the net again.
    I recall such things happening to me :(

;)

• Advertisement

hi...johnboy....im back.and begging for more help if you can.
    Some observations since leaving my last update....

1)Regarding the dhcp thingy.....it worked as you know to allow DHCP to be set to ON...but once i use remote to turn of the box(into stand-by)the lights at the ethernet connection at LAN port go out..and when i use remote to turn box back on..those lights do not come back on..does this mean that the damn ethernet thingy.....including the DHCP is not in use ...unless the lights are lit..???? ....this leads me to my next prob..

2)i stil cannot receive web radio channels....even with the lights lit at the ethernet lan port...i still could nt get it to work..can you recall your experience of web radio with the ariva 120...? and yes i did have usb stick inserted into ariva 120 to make alive the media menu of the box...can you give me a procedure for using web radio...??? i hope its just me again..not doing something right..or missing something simple....!!

i am really sory to annoy you again...but you seem to know this box inside out...Thansk in advance for any help here...

Foot note:
    when i observe the entries in the Network local Settings menu ..the DHCP is now set to ON..whether the ethernet lights at the LAN port are lit or not...
    the entries of ip address and such like have filled in as you told me following ya procedure.. (to set DHCP to ON)....but are all greyed out....did you expext that to happen...??
    and I cant remember exact things i done or in what order...but trying to get light at etherport lit....i tried to force it to happen itself by turning dhcp to off...and hoping it might get it to go back to on..,,,But without my help..it jumped itself back to ON..immedialty as i set it to OFF..and stil the ip address and such info is stil greyed out...is that normal..? does greyed out mean the box is using it.and trying to stop me from making changes to it..?
    sory i am overloading you...but you seem to understand the use of this box..especially at the initial stages...hope you can stil breathe...sorry again...but step by step i would need ya help...Thanks billyie

Advertisement