Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

What about this for simplicity :D "says sarcastically"

http://www.superdeterrent.com/

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

A mock cctv system might be useful.
    for 60-70 quid, you can get a decent enough real one.

all you need is a cheap wireless IP cam which can be bought online (ebay or many other places, search for 'foscam').

it can be configured to connect via your wireless and upload to an ftp site or elsewhere and email/text you alerts/pictures if its active monitoring area is triggered.

you can use multiple ones together and log in to one of them online and have a split screen view of all of them together and pan/tilt them as required.

they aren't officially external cameras, but as long as they are positioned out of the worst of the weather (i.e. in your eaves), they will be fine.

you can get one of these for €66 delivered. http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/448549584-WPA-Wireless-Wi-Fi-Internet-PTZ-Dual-Audio-IP-Camera-Free-shipping-wholesalers.html

you can save quite a bit of money if you order a bunch of them as well (don't be afraid to haggle with them either on bulk orders) and you can have them in black or white. http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale/wholesale-foscam.html?SearchText=foscam&CatId=0&manual=y&SortType=price_asc&SortType=y&filterCat=301102,70811,44

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 JssonHartford

If you have a laptop and a separate webcam, it can be used as an inexpensive but very effective intruder monitoring system. A simple setup will allow sending e-mails with photos attached when a motion is detected inside the room. Free versions of webcam monitoring software can be found from SupervisionCam, I don't know 100% website address, google search should help. Using SupervisionCam monitoring software (with laptop) and any burglar deterrent CD as a deterrent can be very effective home security solution. Laptop batteries will last through any power outage too.

Also, an ideal deterrent combination is an automatic light switch timer and a burglar deterrent CD. Light timer will trick, deter burglar during the night, while random household noises from the CD will deter burglars day and night. Two audio cd versions, both excellent, are available online, from www.audioguard.com and www.superdeterrent.com. You can also do a Google search for "burglar deterrent CD" to get more links and information.

And last, but not the least, :-), a selection of articles about using webcam as motion sensor for home security projects are available on Scribd, http://www.scribd.com/tag/burglar%20deterrent%20cd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Dub XV wrote: »
    Don't think that's legal?
    The Crime Prevention Officer at the Gardai can advise on such passive measures. With a nod and a wink they might suggest some things that straddle the line between legal and questionable.

This was the impression I got when such measures were mentioned at a public meeting with the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

daymobrew wrote: »
    The Crime Prevention Officer at the Gardai can advise on such passive measures. With a nod and a wink they might suggest some things that straddle the line between legal and questionable.

This was the impression I got when such measures were mentioned at a public meeting with the Gardai.

The Gardai like most of us would laugh at a burglar complaining that he hurt his hand on a glassed wall but "the law is an ass" and you don't know if you could get in trouble.
    My back garden wall/garage is glassed and so are some of the neighbours, so prove to me it was my glass and not one of the other walls that you cut your hand on.

• Advertisement

JssonHartford
    Also, an ideal deterrent combination is an automatic light switch timer and a burglar deterrent CD. Light timer will trick, deter burglar during the night, while random household noises from the CD will deter burglars day and night. Two audio cd versions, both excellent, are available online, from www.audioguard.com and www.superdeterrent.com. You can also do a Google search for "burglar deterrent CD" to get more links and information.

And last, but not the least, :-), a selection of articles about using webcam as motion sensor for home security projects are available on Scribd, http://www.scribd.com/tag/burglar%20deterrent%20cd[/QUOTE]

Did you do a google search of "burglar deterrent CD" and come across this thread too, Your link has a good write up on your... i mean that burglar cd too :rolleyes:

JohnWest288
    Did you do a google search of "burglar deterrent CD" and come across this thread too, Your link has a good write up on your... i mean that burglar cd too

Well, I do have my methods researching on burglar deterrents :-) . I am a big fan of automatic light switch timers. I think they are one of the best burglar deterrents. Then, webcam connected to laptop can replace much more expensive monitoring systems, in the case of an eventual break in. I am still searching for wireless webcam but without that big router/transmitter with microwave antenna attached to it.

As for burglar deterrents CDs, they came as an answer what to do with the fact that absence of occupancy noises inside the house will attract (opportunistic) burglars. Hence, combining house occupancy sounds CD with automatic light switch timers looked like a great idea, and I use it whenever I leave home for the weekend or for vacation. I do play CD when I go to work every day, but I do not use light timers then.

considering one of the first things local burglars seem to do is to ring your doorbell to see if anyone is in, i hardly think a cd playing is going to be any kind of deterrent to them if nobody answers the door.

it's also been said that they will purposely set off alarms to see who's get turned off and which ones don't, so i doubt they would be tricked by a CD of house noises.

if you are looking for webcam security software, yawcam does a great job and its free.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

vibe666 wrote: »
    considering one of the first things local burglars seem to do is to ring your doorbell to see if anyone is in, i hardly think a cd playing is going to be any kind of deterrent to them if nobody answers the door.

it's also been said that they will purposely set off alarms to see who's get turned off and which ones don't, so i doubt they would be tricked by a CD of house noises.

if you are looking for webcam security software, yawcam does a great job and its free.
    Thats not the case todays alarms are motion based hence they would have to frist enter the window or door to check if the alarm is on, knocking on a sensor based alarn will not set the alarm off , also another point is lots of people dont answer the door if they dont know the person also some doorbells do not work.

mcriot29 wrote: »
    Thats not the case todays alarms are motion based hence they would have to frist enter the window or door to check if the alarm is on, knocking on a sensor based alarn will not set the alarm off , also another point is lots of people dont answer the door if they dont know the person also some doorbells do not work.
    i think you need to spend a bit more time reading this thread, it's already been discussed that this IS the case.

if you'd bothered to read the thread, you'd know that plenty of people here have had dodgy types coming round knocking on doors pretending to sell stuff to case an area before coning back to rob it.

and "today's alarms"? i've lived in 4 places in ireland with alarms and all 4 had sensors on the doors and windows and it's simple enough to pry a window far enough to set off the alarm without actually breaking in and then walk away and see if anyone turns up to turn off the alarm.

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    i think you need to spend a bit more time reading this thread, it's already been discussed that this IS the case.

if you'd bothered to read the thread, you'd know that plenty of people here have had dodgy types coming round knocking on doors pretending to sell stuff to case an area before coning back to rob it.

and "today's alarms"? i've lived in 4 places in ireland with alarms and all 4 had sensors on the doors and windows and it's simple enough to pry a window far enough to set off the alarm without actually breaking in and then walk away and see if anyone turns up to turn off the alarm.
    Im talking about banging of windows to set of alarm , sure that wont be a sure bet for them now with lots of alarms being sensor based . So they cant trust that way anymore i thinks that more of a myth , it may have happend a few years ago but now eircom etc have motion based . Only a fool would bang on a window to see if he can set alarm off so if the alarm does not go off he would break in

Originally Posted by Vibe666:

Maybe the person at the home is busy "doing" what is recorded on the CD, like, doing stuff in the kitchen, or in the bathroom, and cannot/don't want to answer the door. Some people simply do not answer the door if they don't know the visitor. Moreover, burglar will not come and right away knock on the door, especially if he is in an apartment building. Opportunistic burglar actually quietly goes door to door, evaluating which apartment is not occupied. It appears that in majority of cases, burglar listens anywhere between 10 sec to one minute in front of the door, and if he can not hear anything, he will knock and eventually get into action. He can not go from apartment to apartment, knock on the door even if he hears activity inside the unit, show faces to 10 tenants before he finds an empty suite to break in. It is the quiet apartment, with absence of any random, everyday noise that attracts burglar's attention and motivates him to act.

There are several different choices, for a burglar deterrent CD, available. Some CDs can be downloaded:

Safety Sounds - Home Protection Audio

Super Deterrent - Home Occupancy Sounds on a CD

HomeSecurityStore

Are Burglar Deterrent Audio CD’s Effective?

Im talking about banging of windows to set of alarm , sure that wont be a sure bet for them now with lots of alarms being sensor based . So they cant trust that way anymore i thinks that more of a myth
    you are the only one talking about banging on windows. i'm talking about burglars coming into an area and actually setting off an alarm, as has been discussed already further back in the thread.
    Maybe the person at the home is busy "doing" what is recorded on the CD, like, doing stuff in the kitchen, or in the bathroom, and cannot/don't want to answer the door. Some people simply do not answer the door if they don't know the visitor.
    and maybe, just maybe, people here aren't going to pay a huge amount of attention to someone with an account that is 2 days old with 3 posts in total, all in this thread trying to sell CD's. :rolleyes:

you'll probably be surprised to hear that you're not the first person to come to boards.ie to post a sales pitch disguised as 'helpful' advise. i'm pretty sure you're not even the first person to do it on this thread.

Originally Posted by Vibe666:
    and maybe, just maybe, people here aren't going to pay a huge amount of attention to someone with an account that is 2 days old with 3 posts in total, all in this thread trying to sell CD's.

Maybe, but, my listing of a number of different, competing manufacturers of webcam monitoring software, burglar deterrent CDs, and automatic light switch timers can be considered as a good advice, and is a reply to the post from your old member who specifically referred to burglar deterrent audio products.

JohnWest288
    Did you do a google search of "burglar deterrent CD" and come across this thread too, Your link has a good write up on your... i mean that burglar cd too

Well, I do have my methods researching on burglar deterrents :-) . I am a big fan of automatic light switch timers. I think they are one of the best burglar deterrents. Then, webcam connected to laptop can replace much more expensive monitoring systems, in the case of an eventual break in. I am still searching for wireless webcam but without that big router/transmitter with microwave antenna attached to it.

As for burglar deterrents CDs, they came as an answer what to do with the fact that absence of occupancy noises inside the house will attract (opportunistic) burglars. Hence, combining house occupancy sounds CD with automatic light switch timers looked like a great idea, and I use it whenever I leave home for the weekend or for vacation. I do play CD when I go to work every day, but I do not use light timers then.

I have a CD on repeat of the black and white shooting footage from Home Alone, Val Doonicans greatest hits and a compilation album of Danial O Donnell that has worked wonders, pm me if you want a copy.

A radio left on or a tv (changing lights in a room) are a good idea when going out for a while.
    Reports say that a lot of break ins happen around the school pickup, 3.30 - 5.00, houses are watched, change your routs out of your estates, go left instead of right and drive out another way, makes them think a bit.

When we were done I'm sure I seen the group at the shops on the way out of the estate but more importantly they seen me go to work, same time most days.

Herself then went to the shops, no car in the drive, empty house.
    I would have been known to the local gurriers as had moved them on a few times.
    Didn't get everything but got the best gold. 1 of them even pissed in the chest freezer, nice touch.

They got in over the back garden wall that many times i had jumped over, so I made it so if I couldn't get over then they couldn't.

Garden walls are usualy 5'6" so added trellis to make it 7'.
    Back gate was 6 foot so up'd that to 8ft with some nasties on top.

Got an alarm,dog, and a lot smarter. Keep them out so you don't have to face them on the stairs at 4am when you are still half a sleep and not at your best.

nudger wrote: »
    JohnWest288

I have a CD on repeat of the black and white shooting footage from Home Alone, Val Doonicans greatest hits and a compilation album of Danial O Donnell that has worked wonders, pm me if you want a copy.

A radio left on or a tv (changing lights in a room) are a good idea when going out for a while.
    Reports say that a lot of break ins happen around the school pickup, 3.30 - 5.00, houses are watched, change your routs out of your estates, go left instead of right and drive out another way, makes them think a bit.

When we were done I'm sure I seen the group at the shops on the way out of the estate but more importantly they seen me go to work, same time most days.

Herself then went to the shops, no car in the drive, empty house.
    I would have been known to the local gurriers as had moved them on a few times.
    Didn't get everything but got the best gold. 1 of them even pissed in the chest freezer, nice touch.

They got in over the back garden wall that many times i had jumped over, so I made it so if I couldn't get over then they couldn't.

Garden walls are usualy 5'6" so added trellis to make it 7'.
    Back gate was 6 foot so up'd that to 8ft with some nasties on top.

Got an alarm,dog, and a lot smarter. Keep them out so you don't have to face them on the stairs at 4am when you are still half a sleep and not at your best.
    You did what im about todo get wall built up etc , also change your locks to anti bump type there like 70e here , on ebay for 14 or so

You did what im about todo get wall built up etc , also change your locks to anti bump type there like 70e here , on ebay for 14 or so

I have improved door, window security (entry was through 2 windows).
    Have you a link to the €14 locks as others have said that around €40 is expected.

I have improved door, window security (entry was through 2 windows).
    Have you a link to the €14 locks as others have said that around €40 is expected.
    Hey this is where i bought
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/UAP-KITEMARKED-Thumb-Turn-Euro-Cylinder-Lock-anti-snap-anti-bump-anti-pick-/300694961083?pt=UK_HaG_Lock_Safes_GL&var=&hash=item8bb544a0e7#ht_2700wt_689

Yep there far better then yale anti bump and great value i have 4 on the way for my doors

• Advertisement

if anyone doesn't want to shop online and is looking for a cheap and cheerful nightvision wireless security camera with dvr, i just saw this in aldi yesterday.

200665.jpg

i'm sure you'll find better and cheaper online, but it'll probably do you if you just want to pick one up quickly without messing around with ebay and the likes.

edit: you'll still need to find a way to record the feed though by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Hey Mcriot, I am coincidentally changing my door barrell this week. What is anti bump? My barrell is about 10 years old :)

did some scmoogling
    http://www.highsecuritydoorlocks.co.uk/

ronan45 wrote: »

Hey Mcriot, I am coincidentally changing my door barrell this week. What is anti bump? My barrell is about 10 years old :)
    Hey view this link and video its that easy to get in your door but dont buy the anti bumps here get from ebay , dont buy yale anti bump either
    http://burglarybusters.ie/locks-anti-bump-anti-snap-cylinders.php
    Also check the video out in next link , this shows you how the scum are getting in so fast due to then crapy locks people
    have fitted , get anti bump locks
    http://stoptheburglar.ie/index.php/security-for-doors/cylinders/

it's scary how easy it is to get past a regular door lock with a basic set of picks or a bump key.

we had the garrison mul-t lock on our old house, front and back plus an extra deadbolt with the same key on the door as well.

GARRISON-MUL-T-LOCK-0.png

when we got them they sold it as unpickable, anti snap, break and bump secure Euro Cylinder and that if you force the barrel out they break off in such a way that you can't open the door afterwards.

i thought they were the best ones to have and was going to get some for our new house, but whilst searching for them again, i found a pick tool designed specifically for these locks, so i guess they're not all that secure after all. :(

having said that, as long as it's going to be harder than the other houses in my area to bypass the locks, it should be enough (fingers crossed) to deter potential thieves.

Hey view this link and video its that easy to get in your door but dont buy the anti bumps here get from ebay , dont buy yale anti bump either
    http://burglarybusters.ie/locks-anti-bump-anti-snap-cylinders.php
    Also check the video out in next link , this shows you how the scum are getting in so fast due to then crapy locks people
    have fitted , get anti bump locks
    http://stoptheburglar.ie/index.php/security-for-doors/cylinders/

Does it only apply to "uPVC locks" as in plastic doors? My door is wooden.

"If your door, like many homes is a uPVC or Composite Door, you probably feel very secure in your home."

unfortunately, it's any door with a standard lock on it.

Originally Posted by nudger:

Definitely ok for short time. The things get more challenging when you are going out for a weekend or for a few weeks. Leaving tv set and radio on all the time, day and night, will not be convincing, not to mention power consumption. And what in the case of a power outage?

I use old laptop (relatively old, still Pentium 4 inside) to mimic tv. I start bright colors, rapidly changing screensaver and, when looking at the windows from outside, there is no way anyone can tell it is not a tv. Instead of radio I do use burglar deterrent MP3, playing on the same laptop, with external speakers plugged in. Burglar deterrent MP3 has recorded convincing, random household noises with intervals of silence between them.

My laptop batteries address power outage. Batteries can last around 1.5 hours, since they have deteriorated over time, but, most power outages are shorter than that, hence the whole burglar deterrent laptop "configuration" can stay on virtually all the time, effectively making your house look occupied even through a power outage. Cheaper than buying Uninterruptible Power Supply to keep tv or radio going.

Here is an interesting Washington Post article "Where Thieves Gain Entry to Your Home".

Have to say I think this is a cute product! You could throw a timer on it too.

http://www.faketv.com/

if i were a burglar, i'd be pretty suspicious of a house where someone was watching tv during a power cut. :)

the other thing is, several people here have reported that burglars don't seem all that bothered if anyone is in the house and several people have been burgled whilst they were home. my own grandmother was burgled and had all her jewellery stolen whilst she was in the house about 20 years ago, so it's not a new thing either.

• Advertisement

Have to say I think this is a cute product! You could throw a timer on it too.

http://www.faketv.com/

Yes, I like this product. I may consider getting it.
    Here is one interesting article, "Review of Home Security Devices and Burglar Deterrents" which actually talks about the combination of FakeTV and light switch timers..

Advertisement