Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Good luck if you are ever trying to sell :)

But not to worry, you seem to care more about the people who could won't buy your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I don't own a house? Even so, while I understand your concerns, I think your insistence that boards should be complicit in covering up any potential burglary problem in the area, for the sake of people trying to sell their homes, is a bit of a non-runner. Why should people stop sharing information that can help us better protect ourselves for the sake of what the neighbours might think/protecting homeowners looking to sell?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

leggo wrote: »
    I don't own a house? Even so, while I understand your concerns, I think your insistence that boards should be complicit in covering up any potential burglary problem in the area, for the sake of people trying to sell their homes, is a bit of a non-runner. Why should people stop sharing information that can help us better protect ourselves for the sake of what the neighbours might think/protecting homeowners looking to sell?

I don't think boards should cover it up. I think this thread has run it's course. It's created an awareness which is great. And now that the awareness has been created, is there really a need for the tabloid updates every day :confused:

I think that a thread about security on the top of the thread or over in accommodation & property would serve the purpose of letting people know about how to protect their home in a much better way.
    ....it would be a lot better than updates about "I saw a man in a white van in my estate today".

Well the mods, i.e. the people who makes these decisions, have said that they disagree. And no other posters have come out to say they agree. So, while your concerns are worth discussing, have they not already been resolved?

Well the mods, i.e. the people who makes these decisions, have said that they disagree. And no other posters have come out to say they agree. So, while your concerns are worth discussing, have they not already been resolved?

The mod said they saw where I was coming from.....and that they thought the thread had run it's course months ago....
    But that as i was just one person asking for it to be closed they were reluctant.

Did you even read what the mod said :confused:

• Advertisement

Yep and the thread is still open. Proof is in the pudding. Seriously, you haven't got your own way, I don't want to squabble with you over it so can you just deal with it and drop the issue?

Yep and the thread is still open. Proof is in the pudding. Seriously, you haven't got your own way, I don't want to squabble with you over it so can you just deal with it and drop the issue?

There's no need for a squable :)

Don't tell me to drop an issue I believe in cheers.

See you on this thread everyday for the fascinating and extremely useful updates about people knocking on other peoples doors in D15.

Seeya :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I posted my reasons why I don't like this thread and think it should be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

Theres word around about a gang robbing houses in blanch area, and there using devices that disable the eircom phone watch signals and similar alarm systems, so the alarm will go off but the gards or w.e dont get the phonecall.

Could be total BS as with alot of stories(not the device part, i assume alot know about them at this stage, but the whole gang around blanch area could just be scaremongering)
    but no harm in being wary :)

Theres word around about a gang robbing houses in blanch area, and there using devices that disable the eircom phone watch signals and similar alarm systems, so the alarm will go off but the gards or w.e dont get the phonecall.

Could be total BS as with alot of stories(not the device part, i assume alot know about them at this stage, but the whole gang around blanch area could just be scaremongering)
    but no harm in being wary :)

Care to back up the above statement with some verifiable sources?????

The above post shows exactly why this thread needs to be closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I don't think the thread should be closed. Maybe a mod could put a poll in and we can vote on it? Or maybe the people who are not interested go just not come into the thread if it infuriates them so much,just a suggestion?

Arciphel wrote: »
    I don't think the thread should be closed. Maybe a mod could put a poll in and we can vote on it? Or maybe the people who are not interested go just not come into the thread if it infuriates them so much,just a suggestion?

I am interested in keeping my house in D15 safe. I find the security info about the cameras etc very useful.

What I find ridiculous is the "I heard from my neighbour three doors down that her friend two estates across was done last night" or the post above "I heard, not sure if its true, about some device that stops alarms working in Blanch".
    Or the "it's a disgrace Joe, something has to be done about those gold buying shops Joe" type of posts in this thread.

Is that sort of rubbish really what Boards wants to be a resource for?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Arciphel

amdublin wrote: »

Is that sort of rubbish really what Boards wants to be a resource for?!

That and cat pictures.

That and cat pictures.

:eek:

Don't knock the cat pics!

And what about the people who don't want negative stuff being posted about their neighbourhood?

All of the incidents being reported on this thread are minor - they don't need to be widely spread on the Interweb.

Let's stop talking the area down and start talking the area up!

Care to back up the above statement with some verifiable sources?????

The above post shows exactly why this thread needs to be closed.

Hard to link word of mouth, but there was a big article on the devices being used by gangs the last few months that disables eircom phonewatch and the likes in the sunday independant few weeks ago iirc.

Hard to link word of mouth, but there was a big article on the devices being used by gangs the last few months that disables eircom phonewatch and the likes in the sunday independant few weeks ago iirc.

A an article in the Sunday Independent + some gossip from people you know = FACT????
    So what you are saying is that you came on to this thread to repeat rumour and speculation about what is going on in the D15 area.

Again, this is another reason to shut the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

All of the incidents being reported on this thread are minor - they don't need to be widely spread on the Interweb.

Are you joking me? Twice my motorbike has been stolen, first time it cost me €800 to fix, I haven't even gotten around to fixing it the second time and now have to spend an extra 2hrs a day commuting as a result.

There have been several other car/motorbike thefts reported on the thread also.

Might be minor to you, but not to me. And if I want people to know about it I should have that option, and I also want to know about each and every other incident like it that happens in my area so I know the full extent of the problem.

A an article in the Sunday Independent + some gossip from people you know = FACT????
    So what you are saying is that you came on to this thread to repeat rumour and speculation about what is going on in the D15 area.

You can't back everything people say or hear up with links. I can't back up my previous post about being a victim of crime up with a link, does that mean it shouldn't be posted?

No reason to shut the thread.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Are you joking me? Twice my motorbike has been stolen, first time it cost me €800 to fix, I haven't even gotten around to fixing it the second time and now have to spend an extra 2hrs a day commuting as a result.

There have been several other car/motorbike thefts reported on the thread also.

Might be minor to you, but not to me. And if I want people to know about it I should have that option, and I also want to know about each and every other incident like it that happens in my area so I know the full extent of the problem.

But do we need to tell the rest of the world about all of the above????

It does not reflect well on the area at all......:(

• Advertisement

But do we need to tell the rest of the world about all of the above????

It does not reflect well on the area at all......:(

The crime doesn't reflect well on the area. People talking about the crime isn't as big a problem as you seem to believe.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    The crime doesn't reflect well on the area. People talking about the crime isn't as big a problem as you seem to believe.

Tell that to prospective buyers when you're trying to sell.

Again, I'm not selling, or thinking of selling. Just making a point!

Ofc not, like I said it could be BS, I dont think it fully is so a warning is no harm. Dont be so damn defensive about D15, I grew up there and Its a grand area in lots of parts, we are all sensible adults we know every area in dublin has lots of good decent people and a few muppets. Is the way of life.

Ofc not, like I said it could be BS, I dont think it fully is so a warning is no harm. Dont be so damn defensive about D15, I grew up there and Its a grand area in lots of parts, we are all sensible adults we know every area in dublin has lots of good decent people and a few muppets. Is the way of life.

From your previous/other posts it looks like you live in Tallaght now?

I think we could all be a bit more defensive about D15.

The positive aspects of D15 need to be highlighted.

Your post relating to alarms need not have been linked with D15, for instance. It was a post more relating to security.

From your previous/other posts it looks like you live in Tallaght now?

Im a lucky lad :P

^^^

You don't even live in the area and you are posting some gossip about blanchardstown and alarms being disabled :confused:

Diddler1977 is right. Your post could have been linked with security but instead you link it with D15 based on some gossip you heard.

:(

^^^

You don't even live in the area and you are posting some gossip about blanchardstown and alarms being disabled :confused:

Diddler1977 is right. Your post could have been linked with security but instead you link it with D15 based on some gossip you heard.

:(

Well I have lots of friends and family there ofc, and spend alot of time there. I trust what a close family member tells me, but I can see why others see it as gossip, and the news article did mention north-west dublin, if its a gang of lads doing it in D15 I cant help it can I. I just like to be wary and have some people label me a scaremonger instead of being blind ignorant of whats going on.

Same way there was alot of talk about a homeless man in the park where I live now doing dodgy stuff, and ofc it was all gossip and nonsense. What happens few months ago when walking my dog in the park, gards pull me over for questioning because a woman was attacked earlier that morning by a man who had been living near the lake in the park.
    Its very easy to call everything negative gossip and muppettalk until it effects you, open the blinkers lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Smiley Dave

I had someone try to break in a week ago. They tried going in through the sliding door at the back in the middle of the night and managed to get it partly off the rollers but they seemed to have ran when the dog started going mental. Since then I've gotten extra security on the doors to stop them getting in that way and got a new side-gate so it can't be hopped over as easily.

• Advertisement

Well I have lots of friends and family there ofc, and spend alot of time there. I trust what a close family member tells me, but I can see why others see it as gossip, and the news article did mention north-west dublin, if its a gang of lads doing it in D15 I cant help it can I. I just like to be wary and have some people label me a scaremonger instead of being blind ignorant of whats going on.

Same way there was alot of talk about a homeless man in the park where I live now doing dodgy stuff, and ofc it was all gossip and nonsense. What happens few months ago when walking my dog in the park, gards pull me over for questioning because a woman was attacked earlier that morning by a man who had been living near the lake in the park.
    Its very easy to call everything negative gossip and muppettalk until it effects you, open the blinkers lads.

Yeah that's all well and good and I see your point - but again I reiterate - do we need this info going out on the world wide web?

Advertisement