Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

horse7 wrote: »
    Be aware there have been a few unwanted visitors in the stockton area recently.

Source for your cryptic message?

Unwanted visitors? Do you mean spiders or relatives who stay too long?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Just to let people know there has been a load of robberies done in Whitestown over the last week....during the morning and night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 WTSIB

At the risk of annoying a poster with so many contributions could I suggest that diddler1977 make a more meaningful or sensible/ constructive contribution to what appears to have been a very general warning about suspicious activities in a particular area.

Surely a comment/ question along the lines of " what type of activity" would be more appropriate -- nay intelligent.

Silly, juvenile ripostes do not add to the quality of debate/ comment. What have spiders and uncles and aunts to do with the levels of "criminality" in Dublin 15-- Mods please note. !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

WTSIB wrote: »
    At the risk of annoying a poster with so many contributions could I suggest that diddler1977 make a more meaningful or sensible/ constructive contribution to what appears to have been a very general warning about suspicious activities in a particular area.

Surely a comment/ question along the lines of " what type of activity" would be more appropriate -- nay intelligent.

Silly, juvenile ripostes do not add to the quality of debate/ comment. What have spiders and uncles and aunts to do with the levels of "criminality" in Dublin 15-- Mods please note. !!

WTSIB, FYI...there is a Report Post button (left side--red triangle sign) that can be used to bring the post to the attention of the mods if you feel that is needed.
    But, despite the sarcastic tone :D , diddler1977 is right. Some more detail would be useful.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

WTSIB warned for backseat moderating

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 WTSIB

Zaph, point taken- apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The Riverwood Residents Association web site has been updated with a note about 2 daytime break-ins in Riverwood Court.
    I don't have any details of the break-ins but might find out tonight at the RRA monthly meeting.
    There has been a number of burglaries in the area with 2 incidents in Riverwood Court recently. These took place during the day and we would urge residents to be aware of any suspicious activity and to note down the reg plates of any suspicious cars.

We would recommend that residents:
    • always put on the house alarm when going out, even for quick trips
    • put on the house alarm when going to bed
    • keep any valuables out of sight, especially in cars
    • get into a routine of locking cars and doors, and putting on alarms each night

We suspect that people who drop leaflets into houses during the night take the opportunity to check car doors and houses as they pass. We would also like to remind residents that most, if not all, of charity clothes collection are fraudulent. Collected clothes are sold for export and the profits are not given to charity, contrary to the claims on their leaflets.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Snazzy_Chazzy

Just seen a guy outside my house acting suspiciously

.... grey long johns............... moustache.................ribbed baseball bat.............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Just seen a guy outside my house acting suspiciously

.... grey long johns............... moustache.................ribbed baseball bat.............

:D QUALITY REPLY :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A few carpet sellers around Linnetfields and Hazelbury today, silver Hiace with a WH reg. Having a good old gawk into the windows of places not answering their doors

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Someone has tried to break into my friends house twice through the front door. Both on a Thursday and both during the day when she was out over the past month and a half. Mulhuddart area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

January wrote: »
    Someone has tried to break into my friends house twice through the front door. Both on a Thursday and both during the day when she was out over the past month and a half. Mulhuddart area.

Was it damage to the lock or trying to kick/force the door open, screw driver etc?

Was it on the school run/pension day/benefit collection, sounds like the house is being watched.

Hope she knows the neighbours well and has told them so they can watch theirs and hers.

Has she an alarm, was it on? sorry for all the questions but others could learn from the answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

nudger wrote: »
    Was it damage to the lock or trying to kick/force the door open, screw driver etc?

Was it on the school run/pension day/benefit collection, sounds like the house is being watched.

Hope she knows the neighbours well and has told them so they can watch theirs and hers.

Has she an alarm, was it on? sorry for all the questions but others could learn from the answers.

Trying to force the door open. She would have been on the school run. I'm her neighbour, not immediate neighbour but one of my other neighbours is blocking my view of her house due to there being a mini bus parked in the garden. Nope, no alarm. It's always a couple of days after the child benefit comes in (she thinks whoever it is thinks she may have the money in the house.).

January wrote: »
    Trying to force the door open. She would have been on the school run. I'm her neighbour, not immediate neighbour but one of my other neighbours is blocking my view of her house due to there being a mini bus parked in the garden. Nope, no alarm. It's always a couple of days after the child benefit comes in (she thinks whoever it is thinks she may have the money in the house.).

On the school run is one of the most popular times (in the evenings).

Get an Alarm, very cheep at the moment.

Would be a bit worried about the benefit collection, very likely being watched as are the other houses on either side, heads up. local knowledge, local skangers with mates?

When we were done we were 1 of 4 houses beside each other with no alarms, well worth a bit of a watch to see which was a handy one.

Local OAP was followed home by guy with high vis from the post office after collecting her pension, forced his way in and things got nasty, got the money.

Any dogs in the house, pen marks on piller or walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Kev. wrote: »
    Just to let people know there has been a load of robberies done in Whitestown over the last week....during the morning and night

Robberies... really?? as in people, or the shop?

where?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I think it's fairly clear that the robberies were in Whitestown and given the nature of this thread that they were in private houses, aka burglaries.

Gaspode wrote: »
    I think it's fairly clear that the robberies were in Whitestown and given the nature of this thread that they were in private houses, aka burglaries.
    There's a big difference between a robbery and a burglary.

I can tell you for fact there have not been a load burglaries or for that matter robberies in Whitestown. That is why I asked where!?

I can tell you for fact there have not been a load burglaries or for that matter robberies in Whitestown. That is why I asked where!?

I can tell you for a fact that houses in Whitestown got robbed about 2 weeks ago..Fact as in my mothers house got done

I can tell you for a fact that houses in Whitestown got robbed about 2 weeks ago..Fact as in my mothers house got done
    Burgled not robbed as I said big difference, 2 houses is also not a load of houses.

Burgled not robbed as I said big difference, 2 houses is also not a load of houses.

When did I say 2 houses got robbed?

Look, here's where I stand because this can go on and on...

My mothers house got robbed 2 weeks ago,the police told us that 3 houses had been done the same weekend.

On Monday morning another neighbour told me that a house was done that morning.

Some people on here need a reality check picking out a post because of "Burgled or Robbed".

Honestly who gives a crap?

If by me putting it up on here reminds somebody in the area to lock a door or turn on alarm and it prevents a robbery then Ill be happy but people picking up rubbish from a post is a bit petty..

• Advertisement

When did I say 2 houses got robbed?

Look, here's where I stand because this can go on and on...

My mothers house got robbed 2 weeks ago,the police told us that 3 houses had been done the same weekend.

On Monday morning another neighbour told me that a house was done that morning.

Some people on here need a reality check picking out a post because of "Burgled or Robbed".

Honestly who gives a crap?

If by me putting it up on here reminds somebody in the area to lock a door or turn on alarm and it prevents a robbery then Ill be happy but people picking up rubbish from a post is a bit petty..

My apologies, I was on the phone reading the reply, and mixed up when you said houses with saying it happened 2 weeks ago!! :)

I need a reality check when telling people a burglary is not a robbery..?? I think not. As I said already there is a big difference.

Anyway, i'd like to clear it up so, your mothers house plus 3 other houses all in one weekend? Then another on the Monday morning... This all happened in Whitestown? Or did the Garda say there were 3 other houses done in the area.... which in turn made you think they all happened in Whitestown?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

@are you serious. There's no need to be pedantic about terminology here, it's not helpful.

Are you serious,

I think you are a bit simple so just to clear it up once and for all ,4 houses were robbed in Whitestown at the time of posting ...

Are you serious,

I think you are a bit simple so just to clear it up once and for all ,4 houses were robbed in Whitestown at the time of posting ...

Grand thanks for that... :rolleyes:

Just for everyone's benefit there has not been 4 Burglaries in Whitestown in the space of one week in for a long long LONG time.. never mind 2 weeks ago :D

That is all I am going to say as I have already received what could be deemed a warning by Gaspode.

are you serious?

Ok, your loosing me here, seems to be a lot more problems,break ins, robberies north/north west D15 than closer in to the city from the posts recently.

Am I right? no reports from Rathbourne, the race course, Castleknock village, Deerpark, Auburn ave, Laurel lodge.

Have spoken to AGS from cabra station and they say there's a lot of call outs to Rathbourne, robbed cars/parties etc, any reports?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Kev., rudeness towards other posters is not tolerated on this forum. Please consider this your one and only warning, next time it'll be a card or a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I need a reality check when telling people a burglary is not a robbery..?? I think not. As I said already there is a big difference.
    Multiple posts have said there is a big difference between a burglary and a robbery but none of them explained the difference.

While both terms can be interchanged, imo burglary generally means that a house was broken into and items stolen; the burglars and occupants did not meet.
    In a robbery the burglars and occupants did interact. This is why there is a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

How about keeping it simple and refer to intruders on the prowl ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

daymobrew wrote: »
    Multiple posts have said there is a big difference between a burglary and a robbery but none of them explained the difference.

While both terms can be interchanged, imo burglary generally means that a house was broken into and items stolen; the burglars and occupants did not meet.
    In a robbery the burglars and occupants did interact. This is why there is a big difference.

Thats it in a nutshell.

I blame txt speak. People don't no how to speak gooder english these daze.

The Derek Zoolander School for Kids Who Can't Read Good and Want to Do Other Stuff Good Too

Can't happen soon enough. ;)

• Advertisement

OK, pms have been sent and this little side issue is dealt with and done. Next!

Advertisement