Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due July 2012 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Kildareash hope the boyf gets better. I'd be grumpy too after sedation, it would be like getting woken up in a horrible way after feck all sleep when you're exhausted (something for us to look forward to - not the horrible part!)
    cyning wrote: »
    Babs is lying straight across my belly today so I'm getting punches on one side and kicks on the other.

Yep this started for me the past week on and off. I was in work and suddenly got these nudges all the way at side of my waist (what's left of it) and then got kicks other side. I was so confused & then realised he was just transverse - I'm hoping it's temporary!

I'd be gutted too Cyning if OH had to work 6 days. But then again he works a regular 40hr job and then gigs 2 weekend nights. Then he's rehearsing at least one night a week and learning new songs another night. He's trying to get a load of stuff out of the way now so he can be around more when babs arrives so I've made my peace with it... sort of:rolleyes:
    javagal wrote: »
    Mink, hope your back gets better, have you got one of the wedge pillows for it, they're great!

Heat pack has done wonders today I have to say. I think I had every cushion and pillow in the house all around me today! Another good sleep should get me mobile again.

I really really really need to discipline myself to do the physio excercises a few times a day every day. As I get heavier, this back thing can only get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Make sure ye pack witch hazel incase of any stitches!!

Cyning, I feel your pain re: hubby working 6 days.
    My husband is a farmer, so he's gone at 7am and not home until 9pm, usually in bed for half 10! (although, these days I'm usually knackered so I go with him) he does those hours 6 days a week. On Sunday's, he's gone for 7, back at about 12 and gone again at 5.

It's a pure balls, it's hard to get nursery organised when we only have a few hrs a week. Although, I have convinced him to take a few hours off tomorrow to go and look at the iCandy range, so I guess the upside is he is his own boss!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

Mink we don't mind you asking...it's not like anyone would believe our baby came via just us ;) we are very open about it all as we will be with our child :) We used a non-anonymous donor (our child can make contact with him when she turns 18). We have an extended profile which gives us basic info plus he answered a questionnaire about his likes etc so we have an idea of his personality & yes he is tall (6' 3") so that's where the tall comes from :) I come from a family of 5'4" (my brother is slightly taller) so we went for a taller donor so that if we had a boy he would have some tall...it's also not easy to get a short Dane ;)
    Thanks for the advice re clothes...we were thinking similar :) def no super cute dinky baby clothes for us :(

TRISHKA wrote: »
    very intersting about the be safe izi go, how does it compare price wise with the maxi cosy? will defo have to look into it as reckon we might have a long/tall baby as we are both on the taller side
    thanks

It's a little more expensive than cabriofix I think at € 159 (cheaper than the pebble) where we looked & something similar for the base although if you are happy not to have a base it's still a best buy (maxi cosi aren't as a just belted in option). The main thing is you won't see it as a package with travel system like the maxi cosi & I gather they do a deal with shops for the seat & base which is why it's always a black or red (sometimes) seat with the base so if you are looking at a package it then becomes more expensive to look at an alternative seat!
    For us the fact that the isofix is stated as fitting our car makes all the difference as its the safest option & the car seat is my highest rated item just from a safety aspect :)
    Be Safe have a stand at the baby fair I believe so you could get a look there if you are going :)

• Advertisement

Cyning & Mink - I am the same re positioning! One night I was lying on one side & she was battering the mattress so I rolled to the other side & the same thing happened :) I was like well what do you want me to do :D she has been in that position awhile now so she seems fairly settled for the time being!

Kildareash I am glad you at least got the best possible outcome and he didn't have to stay in hospital :) and I'm sure grumpy and home is better than him being in hospital ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Absolutely twomums! Really wld have hated for him to have been admitted today.

That's great ye guys r so open about everything. It's lovely that your daughter has the option to contact him when she turns 18.

Don't know where I read this tip, someone else suggested it on boards but make sure ur birthing partner is wearing a button up shirt or something like that for skin to skin contact with baby incase your not up to it. I said it to Boyf a few weeks ago, as it was something I wldnt have thought of but he already had. Much like baby's first outfit, I think he already has a shirt picked out to wear for labour and delivery!

We always said that if we had the option of a non anonymous donor we wouldn't take that choice away from any future child :) it is something we both feel strongly about.
    In saying that we are not the norm & our clinic was quite surprised by our choice...most couples they deal with needing a donor (mainly heterosexual) very much want an anonymous donor which is a shame but I think the laws here will eventually catch up to the UK where you can only use non anonymous :)
    It also means if the law does change we can continue to use our donor for a sibling as he will still fall under the law :)

A tip on the first baby outfit :)
    Don't put your baby in a lovely outfit for their very first outfit as it is most likely to get destroyed by their first poo. Our friend woke up to a nurse changing her newborns first nappy just as she was dropping the lovely first outfit in the bin...she asked why & the nurse said "do you really want to put that through your washing machine?" It was a green mess :)
    It might not happen with all babies but in her emotional hormonal state she got very upset by the destroyed little outfit :)

Good tip, I've just bought some penny's onesies and vests for the first couple of days.

In a way you can understand why a heterosexual couple might want their donor to be anonymous. They might not be as open and upfront about going down that route.

This baby is having a great time inside! The kicks are all over the place. I'm beginning to think its like an octopus than a baby. Sometimes it definately feels like there's more than four limbs. Getting quite good at the ol one-two...don't think I'll be watching any boxing matches in case baby get any more ideas :)

Just back from the baby fair :) for anyone going tomorrow or Cork, don't be afraid to ask for a price for what you want rather than the offered bundles! We got the uppababy, be safe car seat & isofix base for 13% off :) happy out as we didn't think we would get what we wanted at a discount as it wasn't the buggy with maxi cosi usual combo :D
    It also wasn't too manic which was great :)

• Advertisement

kildareash wrote: »
    In a way you can understand why a heterosexual couple might want their donor to be anonymous. They might not be as open and upfront about going down that route.

I understand why any couple might see an anonymous donor as being a better option but I see it as a couple making a choice for them not their future child.
    A person not knowing their biology can also lead to them meeting (& falling in love with) another person who does not know their biology (by a donor) which may be the same donor - its a slim possibility due to limitations on how often a donor is used but it can & has happened!
    It's not easy to think your child might want to seek out a stranger in years to come but if our child wants to then we will support her in that :)
    I also believe there is too much shame, embarrassment & secrets carried by many couples needing fertility treatment (esp in Ireland) but that's a whole different conversation :)

TwoMums2Be wrote: »
    Just back from the baby fair :) for anyone going tomorrow or Cork, don't be afraid to ask for a price for what you want rather than the offered bundles! We got the uppababy, be safe car seat & isofix base for 13% off :) happy out as we didn't think we would get what we wanted at a discount as it wasn't the buggy with maxi cosi usual combo :D
    It also wasn't too manic which was great :)
    Thanks for the tip twomums. Do alot of the stalls have actual buggies with them or do you really need all your research done before hand?
    Went to a shop today to look at iCandy and she stopped with that range a week ago, so there was nothing to look at, she had a quinny though, but I'm almost certain I don't want one of them.

Silly there was 5 stalls in Dublin with buggies on display. I don't think I saw an iCandy but then I was just looking at uppababy so might have missed one :) you could fall over bugaboos on stands! I would suspect that it would be good to have an idea of what you want from a time aspect & a committing to buying on the day point of view :) Because we knew what we wanted it was a we want A, B & C - can you do us a price on that :) they all came back with the same price so we went to the woman who did a little demo for us & was happy for us to look around & come back if we wanted it at that price :)
    If you are not decided do look at the uppababy as an option - it doesn't win the pretty award but it does win most practical awards in my opinion (& reviews).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

went to ikea today with my friend, bought nothin and came home with swollen feet and a sore back-.

javagal wrote: »
    went to ikea today with my friend, bought nothin and came home with swollen feet and a sore back-.

I admire Your willpower...I can't go to ikea without spending a fortune on the little things!
    Hope ur able to put your feet up tonight and relax :)
    That's one of the reasons, I decided not to go to the RDS this weekend. It wld just knacker me out. Besides we have the pushchair and a few of the other big things sorted and that seems to be the main reason people are going.

Kildareash as you have your buggy, cot etc it's no harm missing it...it's good & we picked up a few good deals on bits & pieces but getting the buggy/car seat discount was what made it worthwhile :) We also had free tickets which was an added bonus!
    In saying that ikea on a Saturday is probably more manic than the baby fair was today :)

Walking around the baby fair yesterday I got lots of "are you pregnant?" to which I was like yep 6 months :D & others said about their products "they make lovely gifts" :rolleyes:
    I guess I fall into she might just be carrying weight or my bump is pretty neat afterall but to me, especially side on in a mirror it's huge :) funny how differently you perceive yourself over how others do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Mink we don't mind you asking...it's not like anyone would believe our baby came via just us ;) we are very open about it all as we will be with our child :) We used a non-anonymous donor (our child can make contact with him when she turns 18). We have an extended profile which gives us basic info plus he answered a questionnaire about his likes etc so we have an idea of his personality & yes he is tall (6' 3") so that's where the tall comes from :) I come from a family of 5'4" (my brother is slightly taller) so we went for a taller donor so that if we had a boy he would have some tall...it's also not easy to get a short Dane ;)
    Thanks for the advice re clothes...we were thinking similar :) def no super cute dinky baby clothes for us :(

Cool, that was a great way of doing it, sounds like she's going to have great genes. Makes me think of Eric Northmann from True Blood :D

I thought the baby fair was pretty good yesterday. We went when it was pretty full and it was hard to get around. I was also pretty sore in my back. Got TONS of samples and you're given bags for them etc.

Picked up a Nuby steam steriliser and 4 Nuby bottles for 40. They seem good, matched up for breast feeding etc. Also got a Tummy Tub (I kept referring to it as a Baby bucket to the sales lady though :D and got a swaddle blanket. Also got two little body suits that were overpriced but we got them cos they were cool looking, one had a big skull on the bottom and the other had guitars on it! We just gave into it.

We don't have a notion about prams & cars seats but we seemed to like the Bugaboo Chamleon. Got a good demo of it but the package is 1100 :eek:. There's no way I'm asking the mother in law to shell that sort of cash out so I want to see if I can convince her to let us get them second hand and pay for that rather than get a shop bought set.

The only travel system we saw that I'd be ok with her buying price-wise was the Graco system but it didn't exactly leave me with warm fuzzy feelings. The Bugaboo seemed far better quality. Anyone have thoughts on the Graco stuff?

One thing I'll say, I've NEVER seen so many pregnant women swanning around in my life, and buggys!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mamaheidi

One thing I'll say, I've NEVER seen so many pregnant women swanning around in my life, and buggys![/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly- It was like a room full of walking hormones! Found it quite good though, plenty of free samples (SMA have a bag with a free baby towel - think that was the best freebie of the day!). We picked up a few little bits - gorgeous little booties from the baby elegance stand, a few practical bits like food trays & stuff that we won't need for ages but they were so cute, couldn't resist ;-) A changing mat, towels etc. Didn't spend that much but came away feeling that we got lots. Actually, I had to keep an eye on the OH as he would have bought something from every stand if he had been let... turns out I'm the practical one in the relationship - who would have thought it!?

Anybody looking for a buggy it's definitely the place to go. We've ours picked for ages but they seemed to have every make & model possible.

Also got some leaflets about swimming classes for babies - it's the one thing I want to do asap with the little one because I love swimming & swam a lot when I was a child - courses seem a tad expensive but will be worth it I think.

Twomums - it is funny about the bump size, some days I feel 'normal' other days I feel huge! Lots of people have been telling me that I'm still petite & very neat and yesterday I was chatting to my friend and she was looking at me weirdly, she said that from a distance she was actually wondering if I was still expecting (hadn't seen her in about a month) & when I said I felt huge and she said 'oh yea actually you are!'... :o A girl could get a complex :p

As we'll be visiting both our families very early on with the baby we want to get a travel cot suitable from birth - the real cot can even wait till she's born as we have a moses basket for the first couple of month but travel cot is a priority - it will be used a lot so don't mind paying for something that is suitable for a newborn to toddler and will last. Anybody any ideas for a good one??

Mink - Not sure we have an Eric :D but it's not a bad gene pool to be blindly dipping into :) There is a 6'7" donor...he was quickly dismissed :D

Re the bugaboo they were all over the place yesterday :) def the buggy to sell by the amount of them on show :) I can't remember if you are one of the taller people on here but our friend had one (passed on from her sis) who is pretty tall (not over 6") & she hated hers! Now she is one of the few I've ever heard hate a bugaboo but she did look kinda odd pushing it as it sits fairly low to the floor (pram etc) so she did kind of look like a giant pushing a kids pram :D
    It def wins the pretty award but we ruled it out on its height versus the uppababy, basket size, everything seems to be an expensive extra (adapters etc) & just the price! I do know several people who adore their bugaboo though :) so don't let me put you off - that's not my intention at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Mink,I loved all them bugaboo and icandys but they where way out of my price range.i looked aroun and the one I got is a pramette so it's got the carrycot and normal pushchair combined and I can also simply attach the car seat to the frame.it was €399 in little woods but I've seen them on kiddicare.com cheaper. It's an obaby zezu.

I'm not sure if I've started having braxton hicks or if it's round ligament pain.
    I get quiet a sharp pain and my belly goes work hard, the pain will only last few seconds. Can't wait for the scan on Friday to see what position baby is in!

It'll be strange when baby arrives and we won't be feeling all the little kicks and movements.

got one or two this morning too ash-
    doesn't hurt, just tightness , unusual feeling!

my li lady is breech, she has 6 weeks till my next scan to move till we start panicing!

Just back from our 3D scan :) it was amazing!
    Our little one likes to suck her thumb :D

Aww bless!Congrats x

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Robinc

For everyone who likes One Born Every Minute, they are were showing it on More 4 last night at 9.15 so I take I'd say it will be on next week too. Think it was an old one as didn't see any of the nurses before!!

Aw sooo cute :)
    Robinc wrote: »
    For everyone who likes One Born Every Minute, they are were showing it on More 4 last night at 9.15 so I take I'd say it will be on next week too. Think it was an old one as didn't see any of the nurses before!!

Series 2 is still available on 4od. I've watched a couple of episodes online when I've been bored. It's a different hospital in series 2, not as nice as the other place. And a couple of the nurses are older and a bit old fashioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

The only thing we bought was the myfirstclothes set. very sweet and came with a towl aswell. nowhere had the Jane and when we asked in a couple of the places about them one girl was totally wrong about what she was talking about, I actually got quite cross with her. We saw the bugaboo and got a demo for the double one. hated the small wheels on the chameleon but loved the Donkey. but far too expensive at 1375. So going to get one on DD, still on the look out for the Jane system.

We went to Ikea on the way home absolutely loved it. we've never been before. picked up loads of bits and pieces though and got great ideas for the nursery.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Robinc

kildareash wrote: »
    Aw sooo cute :)

Series 2 is still available on 4od. I've watched a couple of episodes online when I've been bored. It's a different hospital in series 2, not as nice as the other place. And a couple of the nurses are older and a bit old fashioned.

Yeah I thought the nurses were very old fashioned alright. Couldn't get over the girl in labour though.. she was throwing herself around the place and roaring the place down, felt sorry for her.. This is my first birth so I haven't a clue but I just hope I can control myself better than that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saurelin

Hi ladies,

I hope you all are ok.
    My little one kicks more and more every day, and she wakes me up few times during night.

I discover remedy for my heartburn - when I eat seating properly and use chair and table instead of sofa the heartburn is gone :)

I get crazy with cleaning and cooking.
    I wake up today at 6 am and I was baking scones :D
    Hubby loves it ;-)

ps. I love Ikea as well :D

Advertisement