Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due July 2012 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Robinc wrote: »
    Yeah I thought the nurses were very old fashioned alright. Couldn't get over the girl in labour though.. she was throwing herself around the place and roaring the place down, felt sorry for her.. This is my first birth so I haven't a clue but I just hope I can control myself better than that..

I wanted to just scream at her to get a grip! Imagine being in the room next to her. I'd be signing myself out!
    Saurelin wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

I hope you all are ok.
    My little one kicks more and more every day, and she wakes me up few times during night.

I discover remedy for my heartburn - when I eat seating properly and use chair and table instead of sofa the heartburn is gone :)

I get crazy with cleaning and cooking.
    I wake up today at 6 am and I was baking scones :D
    Hubby loves it ;-)

ps. I love Ikea as well :D

I also find sleeping slightly raised up helps as it keeps the acid down. Not so easy these days when I can't lie in any position for too long!!!

Thankfully, I haven't been woken in the night with any kicks, but I suspect the kicks may be waking me in the morning as I feel them as soon as I wake up. Can't figure out which happens first...bit of a chicken and egg scenario :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I actually felt alot better after that One Born: No matter what I can't be that bad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

Mink you should pop into your nearest TK Max, we dropped into the swords one after our scan yesterday & hanging up on the wall was a red sleeper suit with a skull on it :) I immediately thought of you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

notsobusy wrote: »
    The only thing we bought was the myfirstclothes set. very sweet and came with a towl aswell.

We went to Ikea on the way home absolutely loved it. we've never been before. picked up loads of bits and pieces though and got great ideas for the nursery.

I almost bought that first clothes set. It's not a bad idea, kinda wish I had gotten it now.

Yes we are planning a trip to Ikea, I loved their stand and I got loads of those leaflets for 10% off Children's stuff in Ikea until 29 June. If anyone wants one, I have far too many & I'd be more than happy to pop it in the post to you.

Because our bedroom is small (as is our house) I'm probably going to get one of the cot-bed's from Ikea. It was so simple but cute and only 99 euro. Might get the mattress elsewhere, don't know what Ikea mattresses are like.
    kildareash wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I've started having braxton hicks or if it's round ligament pain.
    I get quiet a sharp pain and my belly goes work hard, the pain will only last few seconds. Can't wait for the scan on Friday to see what position baby is in!

Some of my braxton hicks can be a bit sore, even now. I still find them unnerving.

Got such a fright last night. Woke up with my heart absolutely pounding, and felt like my belly was another pounding heart with the strong pulse in it. I had obviously rolled onto my back and my body mustn't have liked it. It was so odd, really thought I was having a heart attack (so dramatic!). I don't know if anyone else does this but my body will actually make me have a nightmare to wake me up - ie if I'm too hot, too thirsty, on my back etc. My nightmare was that Tulisa and Girls Aloud carjacked me in a parking lot. Very odd.

Then OH came home from a gig, he proceeded to fall fast asleep. Then baby decides to spend literally the next 45 minutes absolutely beating the crap out of my belly. I turned in the bed and it didn't stop him. So I'm pretty tired today. I should be thankful I don't get woken up from kicks though, plus I still loved feeling it even though it was keeping me up.

We got that set of first clothes...I was in a too many people haze at the time so my partner made the decision on it but it's pretty cute & should be handy to have :)

Mink I would love one of those discounts if you don't mind :) didn't see any while I was at the show but we are going to get plenty of stuff from ikea!

Ikea mattresses are pretty good from my experience of them (adult beds). Friends bought an €80 cot but spent €200 (both ikea) on the mattress rather than having an expensive cot with a cheap mattress. Both have survived very well in a year of use!

I wonder how many of us passed by each other & didn't know it :)

• Advertisement

Mink & anyone else I just popped on to the myfirstclothes website & you can get the set at the fair price using a promotional code at the moment. Not sure how long it will last but the set is normally €60 which is a bit steep I think but it makes the fair price a decent price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Thanks for all the tips re the fair, Looking forward to attending the Cork one this weekend, but i dont think it will be as big as the dublin one.

We had a buggy day yesterday, went to mothercare and tony kealys. In mothercare, we initally asked about a buggy that can be made into a double and got shown the city select. Hubby was well impressed with it and decided there and then that we would be getting a double buggy.
    but then we went to tony kealys, spent over an hour in there, and she went through everything with us..
    Twomums, she mentioned that car seat you mentioned...cant think of name now(baby brain) and said that they are better than the maxi coxi and test safer too.
    She showed us the bugaboo, the quinny, the uppababy and the out and about nipper.
    The out and about, would suit us well on country roads, but would be too big in shops etc.
    didnt like the quinny...
    the uppa baby and the bugaboo were quite similar, but LOVED the bugaboo...except the price... It ticked all the boxes, even hubby changed his mind and thought maybe we shouldnt get a double after all. it comes with a 2 yr guarantee, which is great..
    but still totally undecided.

i wanted to look at the maxi cosi mura, the oyster and the baby elegance Neyo too, but they were in smyths, with nobody around to help us, they were all chained together..might try and go back on a quieter day..

silly wrote: »
    Twomums, she mentioned that car seat you mentioned...cant think of name now(baby brain) and said that they are better than the maxi coxi and test safer too.
    She showed us the bugaboo, the quinny, the uppababy and the out and about nipper.
    The out and about, would suit us well on country roads, but would be too big in shops etc.
    didnt like the quinny...
    the uppa baby and the bugaboo were quite similar, but LOVED the bugaboo...except the price... It ticked all the boxes, even hubby changed his mind and thought maybe we shouldnt get a double after all. it comes with a 2 yr guarantee, which is great..
    but still totally undecided.

i wanted to look at the maxi cosi mura, the oyster and the baby elegance Neyo too, but they were in smyths, with nobody around to help us, they were all chained together..might try and go back on a quieter day..

We actually bought from Tony Kealys at the Dublin show & I am sure they will be at the Cork show also :) we found the woman very helpful even though we knew what we wanted & got us a price for the combo with the be safe car seat. Which rated the be safe just belted in within a single percentage of the cabriofix with isofix. They are currently testing it with the isofix base so it's expected to kick ass once thats complete. The Be Safe people where also at the show so you could have a chat with them...I'm sure they will be at the cork show also :) How he put it was that they had to bring out a better seat as maxi cosi is the Hoover of years ago!
    If you decide to go with the uppababy make sure it's a 2012 model...some stands in Dublin were selling the older model so it seemed cheaper in comparison. It also kicks butt in the which reviews...we went for it in Cole which is a slate/petrol blue colour :)
    Baby elegance had a huge stand in Dublin so you should be able to check that one out at the show :) chained together buggies just doesn't help you get a feel for them but I guess it means buggies get robbed :rolleyes: If you can pop in between now & the weekend & get even a brief overview & push around it will help you come the weekend :)

Thanks 2 mums.
    The woman we met in tony kealy's was very helpful too, she said they would be at the fair, and to call to her, i asked her would there be deals to be had on the day, and she said that all their prices will be the same at the fair. So Thats €1118 for the bugaboo camellion, with the pram and seat,the foot muff, the be safe car seat and the isofix base. Its alot of stuff, but its also alot of money..

anyone selling the Baba Sling there?? really want one of them!

I'm pretty sure I saw the baba sling somewhere :)

Well for comparison, I can tell you the uppababy 2012 model (buggy, pram, adapters, rain cover & integrated sun covers), the be safe car seat & isofix base was €899. We are getting the walla boo lime green foot muff (so cosy) so didn't ask for a foot muff to be included in the price :)

It is a lot of money but the car seat for me is a safety issue so that has priority in the budget & the dog is walked everyday so the buggy system has to be able to cope with a lot of wear & tear :)

• Advertisement

TwoMums2Be wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I saw the baba sling somewhere :)

Well for comparison, I can tell you the uppababy 2012 model (buggy, pram, adapters, rain cover & integrated sun covers), the be safe car seat & isofix base was €899. We are getting the walla boo lime green foot muff (so cosy) so didn't ask for a foot muff to be included in the price :)

It is a lot of money but the car seat for me is a safety issue so that has priority in the budget & the dog is walked everyday so the buggy system has to be able to cope with a lot of wear & tear :)

you are really selling this uppa baby!!! I think i was too tired to concentrate yesterday!! Is it the 2012 vista you got? I need big wheels for country roads..are the wheels pumped tyres? or are they the foam ones that wont puntcure..I think i might ask for another demo at the show.

you are really selling this uppa baby!!! I think i was too tired to concentrate yesterday!! Is it the 2012 vista you got? I need big wheels for country roads..are the wheels pumped tyres? or are they the foam ones that wont puntcure..I think i might ask for another demo at the show.

LOL sorry...I should get commission :P but I don't have anything to do with them I swear :)
    I just spent what seemed like forever researching different systems & getting advice! Being honest I was pretty dismissive of the uppababy when my partner first suggested it (tired pregnant woman) & was all set for the teutonia at the time :D
    I also have access to the full which reviews thanks to a friend so they have really helped :)
    I ruled out pumped wheels because I have nightmares of getting a puncture on a 5km walk in the rain on my own with the baby & the dog :D the uppababy has foam filled wheels with good suspension so no punctures but can handle rougher terrain :) we walk in woodland areas & live in a field so would have similar needs.
    We did get the 2012 model, it has an extra recline position, the hood moves up for a taller child.

Honestly I'm just trying to pass on what I've learnt over time. You have to get the one that you think will suit your needs the most :) I guess I just feel the infamous bugaboo gets the hard sell & has the name which sometimes leaves other equally good systems in the shade :) kinda like the maxi cosi in car seats :)

LOL sorry...I should get commission :P but I don't have anything to do with them I swear :)
    I just spent what seemed like forever researching different systems & getting advice! Being honest I was pretty dismissive of the uppababy when my partner first suggested it (tired pregnant woman) & was all set for the teutonia at the time :D
    I also have access to the full which reviews thanks to a friend so they have really helped :)
    I ruled out pumped wheels because I have nightmares of getting a puncture on a 5km walk in the rain on my own with the baby & the dog :D the uppababy has foam filled wheels with good suspension so no punctures but can handle rougher terrain :) we walk in woodland areas & live in a field so would have similar needs.
    We did get the 2012 model, it has an extra recline position, the hood moves up for a taller child.

Honestly I'm just trying to pass on what I've learnt over time. You have to get the one that you think will suit your needs the most :) I guess I just feel the infamous bugaboo gets the hard sell & has the name which sometimes leaves other equally good systems in the shade :) kinda like the maxi cosi in car seats :)

I think you have me almost sold though, will definatley look at it again. Seems you got a great price for it..I see on the Tony Kealy's website that the buggy/pram is €709 (the woman in the shop said it would be same price at the show) and then to get the car seat and base is about another €300...
    Just wondering how you got it all for €899....i'm not very good at haggling..

Thanks for all the helpful info...

Don't believe what they tell you in the shop :) Bellababy told us there would be thousands of people at their stand & we wouldn't get 5mins so we should buy from them before the show :rolleyes:

We just said we want the uppababy, be safe car seat & isofix base - can you do us a price. She went off and came back with what was in essence a 12.5% discount :) I'm a crap haggler but if you don't ask you don't get...if you decide on it you are free to say a friend got that deal at Dublin show. It's €1027 for it all at standard shop price.

She was happy for us to think about it & check the others but said to make sure they are quoting for 2012 model that some stands were selling the older model. We did & all (who sell be safe) came back at that price so we went back to that woman as she took the time with us, she did thank us for coming back to her :)

I can't see why one branch of Tony Kealys would give the deal & another wouldn't :)

So Thats €1118 for the bugaboo camellion, with the pram and seat,the foot muff, the be safe car seat and the isofix base. Its alot of stuff, but its also alot of money..

That's exactly what we were looking at. The price nearly gave me a coronary. We're looking at getting it 2nd hand. If now, we'll have to go for cheaper models.

Mink wrote: »
    That's exactly what we were looking at. The price nearly gave me a coronary. We're looking at getting it 2nd hand. If now, we'll have to go for cheaper models.

Thanks twomums! will definatley be looking for deals of them and now i can say.."well, i know a girl who was at the dublin show etc..."

Mink, a friend of mine got her camellion bugaboo on adverts.ie.
    i had a look earlier on adverts and on done deal, and while there were hardly any in Cork, there were a good few in dublin, so if you got it 2nd hand, all the fabric is machine washable and/or changeable... and you could just buy a new car seat..

Twomums, would be happy to send on the 10% discount thing for Ikea, just PM me your postal address. It's so convenient that the expiry on them is right before any of our due dates - ie; 29th June, couldn't be more perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

I`m getting given the bugaboo camelion as my aunt had it for her last child 2 years ago, didn`t realise it was so dear!!!She`s giving me the car seat base and car seat but I was going to get a new car seat just in case. She`s giving me cots aswell. Thank feck thou cause I don`t have the money now for anything. What could I get her as a thank you present?

theg81der wrote: »
    I`m getting given the bugaboo camelion as my aunt had it for her last child 2 years ago, didn`t realise it was so dear!!!She`s giving me the car seat base and car seat but I was going to get a new car seat just in case. She`s giving me cots aswell. Thank feck thou cause I don`t have the money now for anything. What could I get her as a thank you present?

I'd say a voucher & then offer to babysit so she can go off and spend it without a toddler hanging out of her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Mink wrote: »
    I'd say a voucher & then offer to babysit so she can go off and spend it without a toddler hanging out of her!

What kind of voucher, like a shopping centre one?How much, would 100e be enough or does that seem scabby?

• Advertisement

What kind of voucher, like a shopping centre one?How much, would 100e be enough or does that seem scabby?

that sounds like loads! and the baby sitting offer might be even more valuable to her!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭NyquistFreak

All this talk of buggies and hospital bags is giving me palpitations, ye all seem so organised and on top of everything!
    I went into Mothercare the other day for a gander at the buggy pram things, even after reading all your posts about travel systems and things, I still have no clue where to start with it all! And boyfriend is no help there either, grr! I got a second hand new born car seat yoke that detaches into a carrier from a friend who was done with it (its a stick-it-in-with-a-seatbelt, rear facing thing if that means anything to any of ye), now all we need is the car to go with it haha! They'll be still using the pram and stroller bit that goes with it for a good while yet though so we'll have to sort something else out for ourselves. Second hand city for me anyway whatever we go for!

In other news, the third trimester has landed and not treating me well at all, I could sleep for Ireland these days. And by sleep, I mean I don't actually get any at all over waking every half our needing the jax or being super uncomfortable or dreaming the fabulous recurring dream of the giant man hitting me in the stomach with a big hammer...</whinge/moan> absolutely knackered all day anyway! I dreamed I gave birth to a brick the other night...:eek: Baby is very active anyway, that can only be a good thing right? Beating me up from the inside!
    Hospital appointment now next week though so hopefully a chance to see octobaby again (last scan was the start of January) and see everythings progressing well, cheer me up a bit anyway! Anyone else a bit achey/crampy by the way? (hypochondriac knows she's a hypochondriac)

Question for all those of you who mentioned the GTT test, it wasn't mentioned to me at all, even though I have a family history of diabetes, just out of curiosity, have any of you actually come back positive for it? And if so are there any symptoms to keep an eye out for?

All this talk of buggies and hospital bags is giving me palpitations, ye all seem so organised and on top of everything!
    I went into Mothercare the other day for a gander at the buggy pram things, even after reading all your posts about travel systems and things, I still have no clue where to start with it all! And boyfriend is no help there either, grr! I got a second hand new born car seat yoke that detaches into a carrier from a friend who was done with it (its a stick-it-in-with-a-seatbelt, rear facing thing if that means anything to any of ye), now all we need is the car to go with it haha! They'll be still using the pram and stroller bit that goes with it for a good while yet though so we'll have to sort something else out for ourselves. Second hand city for me anyway whatever we go for!

In other news, the third trimester has landed and not treating me well at all, I could sleep for Ireland these days. And by sleep, I mean I don't actually get any at all over waking every half our needing the jax or being super uncomfortable or dreaming the fabulous recurring dream of the giant man hitting me in the stomach with a big hammer...</whinge/moan> absolutely knackered all day anyway! I dreamed I gave birth to a brick the other night...:eek: Baby is very active anyway, that can only be a good thing right? Beating me up from the inside!
    Hospital appointment now next week though so hopefully a chance to see octobaby again (last scan was the start of January) and see everythings progressing well, cheer me up a bit anyway! Anyone else a bit achey/crampy by the way? (hypochondriac knows she's a hypochondriac)

Question for all those of you who mentioned the GTT test, it wasn't mentioned to me at all, even though I have a family history of diabetes, just out of curiosity, have any of you actually come back positive for it? And if so are there any symptoms to keep an eye out for?

I have become very tired in the last few days.
    I'm feeling alot like i did in first trimester, where i couldnt go for a day out with my husband and not get too tired and headaches afterwards. hadnt happened in ages, and went buggy researching yesterday, then i had to call to a family get together, i was tired but fine, got home at 8.30 and i got an awful headache, took ages to get to sleep with the pounding..
    was comatosed this morning, where i would usually be alert and talking to hubby as he gets ready for work, i couldnt even open my eyes when he kissed me good bye.

bed early for me tonight..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Second hand city for me anyway whatever we go for!

We knew from day one that we weren't going to be able to afford a brand new system. I started looking on adverts and donedeal to get an idea of what price they were second hand and got a great second hand mamas and papas pram/pushchair/car seat seat on adverts. It's over €1,000 new for all the bits, but we paid €180.

The only downside I can see with buying second hand is that it might be an older model and some of the accessories might not be available in that colour or pattern. But ours came with all the accessories, so this wasn't an issue for us.

In other news, the third trimester has landed and not treating me well at all, I could sleep for Ireland these days.

Yeah, I'm back to falling asleep every time I sit down again. It's not the exhaustion of the first trimester, just tire more easily.
    Get a few aches in the belly too, putting those down to braxton hicks as they only last a few seconds.

I'll get my results this Friday, not holding out much hope for a negative as I had glucose in my urine the week before the test.
    I thought I was ok, because I didn't have any of the symptoms that diabetics would experience, but apparently you don't necessarily get them with gestational diabetes.
    If you do have a family history maybe you should ask them at your appointment next week about the test, as I think it only presents itself from around week 28, so it's not too late for you.

I think she'd be delighted to get 100 euro voucher, shopping centre is probably fine or a one for all, it's more the gesture of it & offering to sit that will be appreciated. It's very generous

It's all an illusion. I'm only talking about buggies & bags. It'll be weeks before have anything. Really you could actually leave it til the last week or two & just get the essentials and you'd be fine.
    I'm pretty much going 2nd hand on everything too apart from little bits & bobs. I'm not even paying for my travel system (mother in law is) but I won't let her pay full price - they've been very generous to us over time.
    And by sleep, I mean I don't actually get any at all over waking every half our needing the jax or being super uncomfortable or dreaming the fabulous recurring dream of the giant man hitting me in the stomach with a big hammer...</whinge/moan> absolutely knackered all day anyway! I dreamed I gave birth to a brick the other night...:eek:

Haha, dreams get freaky while preg. I'm going to try get a dream genie pillow 2nd hand and see if that helps with sleeping as I'm starting to get very uncomfortable, especially with my back.
    Anyone else a bit achey/crampy by the way? (hypochondriac knows she's a hypochondriac)

Yeah I notice these on and off, some Braxton Hicks are a bit sore and some are just a tightening sensation. To be honest, this sore back is making them more sore and crampy in the front.

I may look into getting one of those belly support bands to take the pressure off my lower back.

Can anyone understand those I didn't know I was pregnant shows?
    I am having a pretty easy pregnancy by all accounts & I still am very much aware of my little one squirming around inside me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭trions

We got that set of first clothes...I was in a too many people haze at the time so my partner made the decision on it but it's pretty cute & should be handy to have :)

Mink I would love one of those discounts if you don't mind :) didn't see any while I was at the show but we are going to get plenty of stuff from ikea!

Ikea mattresses are pretty good from my experience of them (adult beds). Friends bought an €80 cot but spent €200 (both ikea) on the mattress rather than having an expensive cot with a cheap mattress. Both have survived very well in a year of use!

I wonder how many of us passed by each other & didn't know it :)

Hi all,
    Two mums got the same little first clothes set at the fair yesterday aswell - it was the very first baby thing I have bought - very exciting and makes everything seem a bit more real..
    Found the fair really good - finally decided on the icandy, put deposit on it yesterday, so no more mind changing - hubby is delighted has his head completely wrecked with me researching buggys...

on the ikea furniture - friends of ours have a one year old they swear by ikea for nursery furniture - they got all theirs there and have found it great. Spoke to someone at the fair yesterday about matresses, some of them are really expensive - he said for a small baby/toddler not to buy an expensive one as they get destroyed....

Nyquistfreak - feeling the same the last few days, am not quite in third trimester yet, but feel the tiredness from the first trimester is creeping back and having crazy dreams.. Feels like baby is getting way stronger, the nudges are now proper kicks, love feeling he/she moving about though - think i will miss it after the baby is born..

Mink~ i got the dream genie and find it fantastic - really comfy and stops me rolling over onto my back...

Hope everyone is well and had a lovely weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Wow busy day, between dueling on Pottermore and finishing my website, I'm shattered!!

Gotta start studying for my exams pronto, petrified with how I'll do with baby brain,

Stayed in my SIL's the other night, had to go back to hers twice during the day, Once because I forgot my phone,
    Another because I forgot my dog lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭trions

Can anyone understand those I didn't know I was pregnant shows?
    I am having a pretty easy pregnancy by all accounts & I still am very much aware of my little one squirming around inside me :)

I don't get how anyone could go through 9 mths of this and not know.. Think it's more a case of not wanting to accept reality..

Not sure who was asking about how the trimesters are broken up - this website might help
    http://www.baby2see.com/development/week26.html

Advertisement