Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android 4.0 Tablet (7" Capacitive, Wi-Fi, 1GHz) = €92

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

bijou wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Had the Ainol Novo 7 Elf delivered there a couple of weeks ago - got to say very impressed it so far (might even order one for the other half for his birthday ;)) and no customs charges due to me ordering through Gadgetfreakz in the UK and they set it all up for you in english - would definately recommend them
    What did you pay for it from the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Tweeter wrote: »
    Thanks for the update, I wasn't aware of that.
    Is there a list of apps that won't work or is it pot luck?
    I'm looking to get one for my 10 year old daughter who would almost exclusively use it for games and web access. Would the Paladin suffice for this?
    All feedback much appreciated

Take a look here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-1385493.html

Note: That thread is about 3 months old, but should still be pretty relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Tweeter wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking why you would advise against buying the Paladin?

The Paladin uses a MIPS processor, which I believe may have issues running some apps.

A bit about it here: http://tabletrepublic.com/forum/basic-apps-games/list-apps-working-novo-7-basic-262.html

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Tweeter

Mr E and eamonq,

many thanks for your feedback, looks like I should go for the Elf instead,

regards,
    Tweeter

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Hi all,
    Had the Ainol Novo 7 Elf delivered there a couple of weeks ago - got to say very impressed it so far (might even order one for the other half for his birthday ;)) and no customs charges due to me ordering through Gadgetfreakz in the UK and they set it all up for you in english - would definately recommend them

I was going to buy the Onda VI40 tablet from Gadgetfreakz because it would have been set up for me when it arrived but it was costing €90 more ,I dont think it was worth that much extra.Hopefully its not too hard set up the tablet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

yabadabado wrote: »
    arrived but it was costing €90 more ,I dont think it was worth that much extra.
    Was part of the extra the delivery charge to Ireland? I was looking at gadgetfreakz too, for the simplicity and knowing the exact cost, but I would be able to get it delivered to a mate in the UK...

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Was part of the extra the delivery charge to Ireland? I was looking at gadgetfreakz too, for the simplicity and knowing the exact cost, but I would be able to get it delivered to a mate in the UK...
    Delivery to Ireland is £28 but is free in the UK .even without the postage costs,there is a significant saving to be made buying from Aliexpress.hopefully its not to difficult to set it up.

Delivery to Ireland is £28 but is free in the UK .even without the postage costs,there is a significant saving to be made buying from Aliexpress.hopefully its not to difficult to set it up.

Don't forget to 'allow' for customs charges from Aliexpress, you might get away with them but probably won't.

Also the other thing to bear in mind is that if the unit is faulty, returning it to China is IMO not an option in all honesty, due to costs involved (you generally have to pay carriage both ways), and 'sometimes' the packages do not get received by the person you sent them to (or at least they may claim that), customs in China also play a part!!

Mr E wrote: »
    I ordered an Elf from McBub.com last week, which shipped by EMS last Thursday. I have tracking info up to last Saturday where it left a sorting centre in Guangzhou, but no updates since then. Seems like it has dropped off the face of the earth ... I've emailed McBub and they say that they will look into it.

Has my package been hijacked somewhere along the way? :o

Your item was received by sorting center(IRELAND P'LAOISE SDS) at 2012-03-29 14:57:00 :):)

hopefully its not to difficult to set it up.
    The problem might be in the user (i.e. me!)

• Advertisement

hopefully its not to difficult to set it up.
    The problem might be in the user (i.e. me)! I guess they're a safer more expensive option. Not quite in the market quite yet anyway, so I'm definitely interested how you get on with the DIY option.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The problem might be in the user (i.e. me)! I guess they're a safer more expensive option. Not quite in the market quite yet anyway, so I'm definitely interested how you get on with the DIY option.

I got the Aurora, and installing the custom rom and getting it all up and running was not a major problem, but of course as soon as I did it, I decided maybe to try another rom and made it better again, I have it up for sale at the moment but not really sure I want to let it go!!

eamonnq wrote: »
    Don't forget to 'allow' for customs charges from Aliexpress, you might get away with them but probably won't.

Also the other thing to bear in mind is that if the unit is faulty, returning it to China is IMO not an option in all honesty, due to costs involved (you generally have to pay carriage both ways), and 'sometimes' the packages do not get received by the person you sent them to (or at least they may claim that), customs in China also play a part!!

Yeah I have factored in €30 for customs and there was still a huge difference.The £28 postage is what put me off gadgetfreakz.

Hopefully there are no problems with the tablet ,as you have said that's the biggest problem buying direct from china,near impossible to return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Yeah I have factored in €30 for customs and there was still a huge difference.The £28 postage is what put me off gadgetfreakz.

Hopefully there are no problems with the tablet ,as you have said that's the biggest problem buying direct from china,near impossible to return.

€28 postage with gadgetfreakz? I assumed it was free delivery :eek:. That is my decision made then

Hmm... Just got my Elf delivered by Mr. Postman. No VAT or Duty. :)

Ordered from www.mcbub.com (use one of the entries with DHL in the description - they include postage in the price automatically), delivered in 8 days.

€125 all in. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Can anyone who has been using one for a couple of weeks comment on the Ainol tablets - especially the battery. I'm trying to decide whether to go for one or pay a bit extra and get the reliability of the HTC flyer albeit with the older 3.2 OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

My Aurora 8GB arrived on the 28th of March.

I have nothing good to say about Pandawill. Any future purchase of a similar device will be made locally, or after others have comitted to being guinea pigs, as zero day buyers..

Obvious refurb\return, bounced back out to me. Leaflets all slightly thumbed, along with finger grease on an unprotected screen.

Slight gap to the left, the well known Aurora issue of the port side having a gap, between the screen and the frame. (this is caused by an ill fitting HDMI port, the hole in the case catches the top of the HDMI socket)

I also have a problem area on the screen, a slight, very small, water stain like area. Not quite as bad as say, a clutch of dead pixels, but, if you're in a bit of a grump, fusty, you will notice it, against a white web page, but not watching films etc, thankfully.

Just under €130 all in, at the exchange rates I payed.

---

^whitey^, the HTC Flyer is a beautiful device. You will not feel short changed owning a device like it. If you get a deal with the pen included, all the better.

Battery on the Aurora, with screen at minimum, depletes rapidly. Mine shipped with 4.0 and no Market. I also have hideous trouble getting Google Maps to work or update properly.

If you want a safe and settled experience, get a proper Google certified device. ..or a Playbook.

On a personal level, I find the weight of the Aurora tiring, for one hand use, the gloss also makes it difficult to hold. Very very glossy back. Like a vaseline coated pebble.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Amalgam wrote: »
    My Aurora 8GB arrived on the 28th of March.

I have nothing good to say about Pandawill. Any future purchase of a similar device will be made locally, or after others have comitted to being guinea pigs, as zero day buyers..

Obvious refurb\return, bounced back out to me. Leaflets all slightly thumbed, along with finger grease on an unprotected screen.

Slight gap to the left, the well known Aurora issue of the port side having a gap, between the screen and the frame. (this is caused by an ill fitting HDMI port, the hole in the case catches the top of the HDMI socket)

I also have a problem area on the screen, a slight, very small, water stain like area. Not quite as bad as say, a clutch of dead pixels, but, if you're in a bit of a grump, fusty, you will notice it, against a white web page, but not watching films etc, thankfully.

Just under €130 all in, at the exchange rates I payed.

---

^whitey^, the HTC Flyer is a beautiful device. You will not feel short changed owning a device like it. If you get a deal with the pen included, all the better.

Battery on the Aurora, with screen at minimum, depletes rapidly. Mine shipped with 4.0 and no Market. I also have hideous trouble getting Google Maps to work or update properly.

If you want a safe and settled experience, get a proper Google certified device. ..or a Playbook.

On a personal level, I find the weight of the Aurora tiring, for one hand use, the gloss also makes it difficult to hold. Very very glossy back. Like a vaseline coated pebble.

Reading this I'm glad that I canceled the order with Pandawill for the Aurora, I was going to buy the HTC Flyer but decided to go with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, I know its not in the same price range but its a nice tab and well built and the battery seems to hold up well.

I'm not reading bargain alerts anymore, start out to spend €130 on a tab and wind up paying 4 times that..

Better not let the wife see it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

^whitey^ wrote: »
    Can anyone who has been using one for a couple of weeks comment on the Ainol tablets - especially the battery. I'm trying to decide whether to go for one or pay a bit extra and get the reliability of the HTC flyer albeit with the older 3.2 OS.

I like everything about my Ainol Aurora except the battery life (especially when in Standby).
    In Standby, mine can drain 40-50% overnight.
    I've read other people having this problem on other forums. Some suggest different ROMs to resolve this, but i dunno if it does.
    Otherwise, the tablet is great- browsing, music, film, email no problem. Lovely looking and light.
    Pity about the battery.

I like everything about my Ainol Aurora except the battery life (especially when in Standby).
    In Standby, mine can drain 40-50% overnight.
    I've read other people having this problem on other forums. Some suggest different ROMs to resolve this, but i dunno if it does.
    Otherwise, the tablet is great- browsing, music, film, email no problem. Lovely looking and light.
    Pity about the battery.

I was happy enough with my battery life but having said that I have not been monitoring it, am planning to put a new rom on it shortly so must keep an eye on the battery life when I do.

I think it it a great little tablet and am more than happy with it, but of course am still looking for the 'next great tablet' also!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

I have the Elf, happy with it, dont touch Pandawill, gangsters

Potential customs charges and the postage do go a fair way of making up the difference quoted earlier - so it's not that bad an option if you can get it delivered in the UK, as that is free delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

dvpower wrote: »
    What did you pay for it from the UK?

Hi
    I paid STG119 + delivery. Was going to have it sent to family in the UK as it's free next day delivery but I was too impatient :D either way no customs charges :p and don't forget they set it all up for you and QC it before sending it out. Also remember if you have any issues with the unit you return it to the UK not China which IMHO would be a nightmare. Check out their website.

Hi
    I paid STG119 + delivery. Was going to have it sent to family in the UK as it's free next day delivery but I was too impatient :D either way no customs charges :p and don't forget they set it all up for you and QC it before sending it out. Also remember if you have any issues with the unit you return it to the UK not China which IMHO would be a nightmare. Check out their website.

Was that for an ELF or an Aurora ? I am working it out around 175euro all in ?

Was that for an ELF or an Aurora ? I am working it out around 175euro all in ?
    Hi all,

according to this post its the Novo 7.

according to this post its the Novo 7.

Thanks for that, according to that post it is the ELF.

There are several NOVO7 tablets, (Basic,Advanced, Paladin, Elf and AURORA), and I might have missed one or two!

There are several NOVO7 tablets, (Basic,Advanced, Paladin, Elf and AURORA), and I might have missed one or two!
    Didnt realise there was that many different types of NOVO7.Is there much difference between them?

The Aurora is the current 'cream of the crop', has 1GB RAM and the IPS (1024x600 resolution) screen which makes it much clearer and gives better viewing angles.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

If I remember correctly the Basic, Advanced and Paladin have a different processor (MIPS) to the Elf and Aurora (ARM) and the RAM is better on the Elf and Aurora. I heard the manufacturer was having problems with the IPS screen on the Aurora (IPS was manufactured by Hitachi so they were in the process of changing supplier to LG or might have been the other way round - can't remember - which caused delays to those who were waiting on orders).

The one I got was the ELF - and very happy with it I am too :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭doxy

Didnt realise there was that many different types of NOVO7.Is there much difference between them?

As far as I can gather, the 'basic' is the budget model that was released last year, I'm not too sure if they're even selling that anymore?

The 'advanced' and 'paladin' are the next step up, though the paladin's processor might cause some compatibility issues with certains apps, so some people are advising against purchasing that.

The Elf and the Aurora are the highest specced Novos, as far as I'm aware the only difference between these 2 is that the Aurora comes with a better screen.

Advertisement