Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

elaverty wrote: »
    You paid it///they wont give fcuk what you said or think in 2 months time...They now have your money and your details and you can sing how you like,,,Be prepared to pay a whole lot more in years to come,,,start saveing now..

Hey man...can't you give him a better news ,aren't you !?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Paid.

Do I get a happy smiley or just the rolley eyed smiley derision of the keyboard warriors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Mezcita wrote: »
    Paid.

Do I get a happy smiley or just the rolley eyed smiley derision of the keyboard warriors?

:rolleyes:

But you should have started your own thread!

foxinsox wrote:
    I would be tempted to write to them in 2 months from now and ask what their plan of action for my area is, with all those wads of cash they will have.

That will put the skids under them alright foxi, I'm sure they'll hurry around, before you start looking for your money back.
    I wonder are LA's subject to the sale of goods act?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

foxinsox wrote: »
    I paid it today :(

I'm not happy paying it, but I honestly couldn't afford fines or court appearances.

BUT:

I did write a letter on the back of the form saying that I can't wait to see the improvements in my area when the local authorities start using this money. In my letter I went into detail about the litter being dumped in the river, the broken street lights, etc..

Not that anyone will read it but it made me feel a bit better.

I would be tempted to write to them in 2 months from now and ask what their plan of action for my area is, with all those wads of cash they will have.

Bless the innocence of those who think that this money will actually go into improving local services!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

You paid it///they wont give fcuk what you said or think in 2 months time...They now have your money and your details and you can sing how you like,,,Be prepared to pay a whole lot more in years to come,,,start saveing now..

Yep, I paid it, as I said in my post I couldn't afford fines and do not want to end up in court or have debt collectors at my door.

Probably won't give a feck what I have to say in 2 months, but I can be pretty good at writing pretty annoying letters if I had to. :p

I can't sing - completely tone deaf :o

Probably will have to pay more in the future, but in fairness Charles Haughey abolishing the property tax in 1977 was great at the time but he has a lot to answer for now. I think lots of other countries have some form of property tax.

I barely had money to pay this charge, I won't be saving much.

It still hurt like hell to pay it if that makes anyone feel any better. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭tipster

no i wont be paying it and theres nothing that arrogant tool hogan can do about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I paid it today :(

I'm not happy paying it, but I honestly couldn't afford fines or court appearances.

BUT:

I did write a letter on the back of the form saying that I can't wait to see the improvements in my area when the local authorities start using this money. In my letter I went into detail about the litter being dumped in the river, the broken street lights, etc..

Not that anyone will read it but it made me feel a bit better.

Fair play to you for paying, I wish I could just get over it and pay it but it fcuking annoys me that we are being asked to pay again.
    I have no doubt we will all pay eventually but at least this way I feel the people are making their feelings known to the government.
    I'm not knocking anyone that has paid, it's up to everyone to make up their own minds.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Bless the innocence of those who think that this money will actually go into improving local services!

No need to be blessing me, I'd burst into flames!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

Paid.

Na u just get Sympathy,,

Na u just get Sympathy,,

With a capital "S" too.

Cut me deep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

With a capital "S" too.

Cut me deep.

your Special,,:D

:D

That's more like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭allydylan

Shenshen wrote: »
    It's €100, that's around €8.33 a month.

I'm finding it absolutely baffling how people can get worked up over this, yet will happily spend as much on a single drink on a night out....

Get a grip. Seriously.

I don't think the 100 euro is the problem. From what I've heard people are worried about how much the tax will be increased by in the coming years. Sure, its 100 now, but in a few years how much?
    It also appears to be a general protest against the people that got us into this mess.
    I am not a home owner, so the tax does not yet apply to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Last time I'm going to reply to you Noreen.

Here's my post again

Where are you having a problem in seeing my 'source' for the 30% paid.

If you don't believe RTE, take it up with them.

I don't believe either RTE - or you.
    You made the assertion that 30% have paid. I posted an alternative source that refuted your claim - hence the onus is on you to prove you were right.

I will predict, however, that, rather than either proving your assertions, you will either try the "attack is the best form of defence" strategy, or resort to abusive, or arrogant posts.

The other alternative is that you will refuse to reply to my post, as you have stated above.
    Rather poor form, imo, to refuse to either provide proof, or concede that you might just have got it wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

I think it was the size of the leaflet is what won it for the no side.

They had a much bigger leaflet then the yes side...big yellow thing with DON'T REGISTER DON'T PAY! in big black bold letters on the front. And it's a catchy phrase too!

Where as the household charge leaflet (I got 2 of them!!) was a measly small thing.

How could anyone not say no.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TheRealPONeil

You can do some writing here --> http://fixyourstreet.ie/

Plenty of call logging - nothing on call resolution though as far as I can see !!

You can do some writing here --> http://fixyourstreet.ie/

Plenty of call logging - nothing on call resolution though as far as I can see !!

Thanks..but it is only for South Dublin Council :mad:

I prefer the good old registered letters addressed to a specific councillor, they'll probably ignore it anyway, but it's worth a try, maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Thanks..but it is only for South Dublin Council :mad:

I prefer the good old registered letters addressed to a specific councillor, they'll probably ignore it anyway, but it's worth a try, maybe.

Make sure your letter is in a brown envelope lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

I probably will pay eventually but am going to wait it out and see what happens....the penalties are not big. I reckon in a year, most people will have paid. But that means that the probable tenfold increase will be delayed. If 80% plus paid on Saturday I have no doubt we'll be paying a grand next year. If it takes a year to get everyone to pay €100, then it delays the bigger charge as they wont have the registration details. And that has to be a good thing.....make it as hard as possible for the f**^^*rs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Im not happy that the county councils are using their budget wisely. What exactly does a typical county council budget look like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Freddie59 wrote: »
    And 80% of that is for wages. The root of the issue. Pay them what the country can afford and that will be a start.

The problem I have is the bold part how about pay them a decent wage not near the welfare so they dont go on it. And please dont quote what the average wage is or ill have to 1 tell you what average means and then 2 tell you to check wages in the public sector (goggle it)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭CajunOnTour

That's more like it!

You and Francie are both - Special :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYpmT2Ie7FA&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

hondasam wrote: »
    Fair play to you for paying, I wish I could just get over it and pay it but it fcuking annoys me that we are being asked to pay again.
    I have no doubt we will all pay eventually but at least this way I feel the people are making their feelings known to the government.
    I'm not knocking anyone that has paid, it's up to everyone to make up their own minds.

Fair play for paying?
    Srsly?

The late penalty after 12 months is e42.
    They have scared people into paying!

And you are (properly) p1ssed off about paying.

This is a chance to turn things around if enough people don't pay.

Not knocking anyone who has paid either, but fcuks sake..

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Pete M. wrote: »
    The late penalty after 12 months is e42.
    They have scared people into paying!

Any link on the late penalty charges?

PS. Found the details here: https://www.householdcharge.ie/Faq.aspx#fk16

This put my mind to rest as not paying it. I was quite anxious about it after hearing all the crap about thousands of euro in fines if not paid in time. They will have to wait at least a year to get hold of €100 from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Different media outlets are giving different figures are spin, for example
    29% currently registered to pay household charge

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/29-currently-registered-to-pay-household-charge-545480.html

However this article also downplays the real numbers required to register.

As of 6 o'clock this evening the agency said that 467,357 - out of the estimated 1.6 million householders - have registered to pay the controversial tax

Its not 1.6 million required to register, its actually 1.8 million required to register including those excempt for the time being in unfinished estates etc
    He said Minister for the Environment Phil Hogan had steadfastly refused to extend the deadline, even though just 23 per cent of the 1.8 million people who were obliged to register had done so.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0328/1224314008176.html

They say 1.6 million are liable to pay the household charge at present, while moneyguide Ireland estimate much higher
    We estimate there are about 1,730,000 properties that are liable for the Household Charge -

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/how-many-people-have-paid-the-household-charge.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

The 460,000 is the 100% correct number of people who have registered for the charge.

I'll have an updated figure after lunchtime at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

In all fairness getting numbers when the topic has something to do with the government off of RTE is like asking the Daily Mail how many illegal immigrants are in the country.

You'll get a number alright but it won't be the right one.

As for leaflets etc, the only thing that has come through my door is ones for "Can't Pay Won't Pay". I have received nothing from the pay camp which does make me wonder. The government with all their might and power can't even send something out (or have they passed it on to an agency) whereas a bunch of "left loonies" are able to mobalise, work together and have a much more effective campaign plan and strategy.

FG and especially you Enda Kenny you whiney little b@stard can f*ck right off. If you think we'll "measure up and obey the law" (his words) you are mistaken.

"The government can only function where it gets the cooperation and the support of the people" he said.

ah good so proof that we have a non functioning government then!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

As post above says, I think figures are being manipulated by bothe sides but from this it looks like we're doing what we do best, rolling over and taking it up the a$$....

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/surge-in-people-paying-100-household-fee-but-39pc-insist-they-will-hold-out-3066454.html

Hopefully a large percentage will stay the course and hold off paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Cannot fathom people on here calling for people not to pay tax.

Disgraceful. Leave it for others to pick up the bill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Plazaman wrote: »
    As post above says, I think figures are being manipulated by bothe sides but from this it looks like we're doing what we do best, rolling over and taking it up the a$$.... up our sleeves and tackling the mess while ignoring the carping from the sidelines of various tax dodgers, economic illiterates and hard left lunatics who would rather howl at the moon about the unfairness of it all than actually try to sort out the problems

FYP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement