Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

Well said JimBob... sometimes I look at profiles, and I'm just too lazy to send an email, so it may not be anything you're doing wrong at all. Besides, remember that you don't need several emails... just one, from someone lovely :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Seems to be a feast or famine for me, nothing for months and now this week alone have two old flames contact me out of the blue and two potentials from okc all within a couple of days. To top it off girls trying to chat me up and give me the eye when I'm out.

I think I won money and no one told me! !!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭JimBob777

Thanks,
    I just find that even though you should be confident in yourself and not criticise yourself too much but..., you should always be open minded enough to see what your doing wrong and don't put it down to your looks/personality or other people...., maybe ones's best looks and personality arent shining through potentially?.. :confused:
    of course this also applies to many other things in life, including real life dating....
    and just as i gave that bit of advice, i got a message on 1 of the sites. good karma!!?! :)
    another "hi, how are you" though :mad: haha..

KTRIC wrote: »
    Seems to be a feast or famine for me, nothing for months and now this week alone have two old flames contact me out of the blue and two potentials from okc all within a couple of days. To top it off girls trying to chat me up and give me the eye when I'm out.

I think I won money and no one told me! !!

That's always the way. Lucky you...enjoy the feast :)

when you find out how much you won, we might talk about going on a date on your new yacht:o

JimBob777 wrote: »
    Thanks,
    I just find that even though you should be confident in yourself and not criticise yourself too much but..., you should always be open minded enough to see what your doing wrong and don't put it down to your looks/personality or other people...., maybe ones's best looks and personality arent shining through potentially?.. :confused:
    of course this also applies to many other things in life, including real life dating....
    and just as i gave that bit of advice, i got a message on 1 of the sites. good karma!!?! :)
    another "hi, how are you" though :mad: haha..

Wise words. It's not a good idea to let other people's behaviour impact on our own thoughts/feelings.... don't look for the negative in everything....

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Doesn't sound like a fob off to me Honey. especially if he's ringing you. the reality is if he's hurt, he may not know when he'll be better.

I agree that it was probably not a fob off but I would agree with Honey's initial decision to probably ignore the guy. It's not the fact he was injured but the lack of consideration as he only told her on the day. She specifically texted him the night before and he should of texted back letting her know then that he injured himself and he might not be able to make the date. Not telling people you can't make plans until the last minute is just flaky and inconsiderate behaviour and would not be very attractive to me so I would probably lose interest after that to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Just wondering would it be easier to meet people off this then get chatting on POF?

Male, 25, Louth!

What do you guys think of the whole "i'm just looking for friends at the moment and see where it goes thing" ?

Someone I've been messaging on and off for a while , now turned to emails but she tells me she's not looking for a relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Maguined wrote: »
    I agree that it was probably not a fob off but I would agree with Honey's initial decision to probably ignore the guy. It's not the fact he was injured but the lack of consideration as he only told her on the day. She specifically texted him the night before and he should of texted back letting her know then that he injured himself and he might not be able to make the date. Not telling people you can't make plans until the last minute is just flaky and inconsiderate behaviour and would not be very attractive to me so I would probably lose interest after that to be honest.

But sure he only injured it the night before? Could've been out drinking, and only injured it after he'd been talking to her. Because he rang her after, I'd be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt here. :)

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    So why is she on a dating site?

No idea but she just disabled her profile because there was a guy on the site she previously dated and told him she didn't want a relationship, so for him not to see her profile she disabled it !!! I'm really confused. :confused:

I don't know why you would string a guy a long on a dating site to be "just friends" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No idea but she just disabled her profile because there was a guy on the site she previously dated and told him she didn't want a relationship, so for him not to see her profile she disabled it !!! I'm really confused. :confused:

I don't know why you would string a guy a long on a dating site to be "just friends" :rolleyes:

To me its just a cop out or easy way of saying i dont fancy you. Or could be seeing how it goes and then waiting for something better to come along or meeting up with several people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

But sure he only injured it the night before? Could've been out drinking, and only injured it after he'd been talking to her. Because he rang her after, I'd be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt here. :)

You are more forgiving than I am so. She texted him at 10pm the night and he didn't mention it. She posted up here shortly after receiving the text from him around 5pm on the date night if he hurt his ankle the night before I would still expect someone to tell me before 5pm for some consideration. At 5pm you are finishing your day and might have been getting excited about the date all night so to only be told at the last minute he is cancelling when he hurt it the night before still smacks of inconsideration to me.

But maybe I am just getting bitter and cranky in my old age. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

JimBob777 wrote: »
    dont feel sorry for yourself, its not healthy..instead look at the things your doing wrong potentially, choice of pictures, is your profile interesting enough, are you trying too hard to impress someone with it or your messages?
    theirs always room for improvement, if somethings not working, nothing to lose by changing it up a bit...
    hope this helps :)
    Im not feeling sorry for myself, I just know when something doesnt work, and Im not one for flogging a dead horse.

Is there a way of checking out people with your profession (teacher in my case)?

Also has there been any cases of 2 boards.ie members "getting it together"??

There's been many cases of boardsies hooking up. But just be wary that it is somewhat frowned upon (when done in "open" - I say open, as opposed to the private forums) as boards isn't a dating site.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Galvasean wrote: »
    Date for tomorrow confirmed. Looking forward to that.

That went well. Had a few drinks in the sun. Haven't gotten any word back from her after I texted her on the way home saying it would be nice to do something like that again. Will probablyend up adding this to the list of 'enjoyable first dates that did not lead to a second'. Was still a fun though. Not like I had any other plans (audition notwithstanding).

There's been many cases of boardsies hooking up. But just be wary that it is somewhat frowned upon (when done in "open" - I say open, as opposed to the private forums) as boards isn't a dating site.

How do you get onto the private forums.......women are messing with my head on POF at the minute! Meeting up a few times and then NOTHING!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Maguined wrote: »
    You are more forgiving than I am so. She texted him at 10pm the night and he didn't mention it. She posted up here shortly after receiving the text from him around 5pm on the date night if he hurt his ankle the night before I would still expect someone to tell me before 5pm for some consideration. At 5pm you are finishing your day and might have been getting excited about the date all night so to only be told at the last minute he is cancelling when he hurt it the night before still smacks of inconsideration to me.

But maybe I am just getting bitter and cranky in my old age. :pac:

But sure maybe he was hoping all day that it would improve enough that he wouldn't have to cancel?

I do get where you're coming from, but if I liked the guy, I'd probably give him a second chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

But sure maybe he was hoping all day that it would improve enough that he wouldn't have to cancel?

That's what he said alright.
    I do get where you're coming from, but if I liked the guy, I'd probably give him a second chance!

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt this time, but if it happens again, I'm cutting him loose!

• Advertisement

Had a date last night and another date with a different lady tonight. Very keen about this one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

booboo88 wrote: »
    Im not feeling sorry for myself, I just know when something doesnt work, and Im not one for flogging a dead horse.

I think it depends on the approach you take. If you see OD as the primary way to meet people you are going to be consumed by over analysing of non responses and profile visits.

Better to live your life as normal and drop in occasionally on your page. Its should supplement your social life not become the focal point.

I approached it this way in the past but since then have lightened up. Only pop on once every few days have a gander around send a mail or two if I come across someone I like but expect a non response (due to fact I would say IMO there is about 1 in five chance of a response). These days If I get converstation out of it or even a date its a bonus but my life doesnt stop because of it.

The more involved in it you become the more it dents your confidence so why let yourself get into that situation

At the same time though what harm is it leaving it up even if you dont check that often. Only takes one random matchup on them sites to find someone worth finding (better chances than the lotto without any work:D)

How do you get onto the private forums.......women are messing with my head on POF at the minute! Meeting up a few times and then NOTHING!!

Depends on the private forum. Some you have to PM the mod of and others you have to be invited to.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

You're not going to be let into a private forum just to access female boardsies. :cool:

POF messes with most peoples head (Have you read this thread?!).

Maybe take a break from the online dating for a while. It does get to most people after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Just wondering would it be easier to meet people off this then get chatting on POF?

Male, 25, Louth

Deal breaker tbh. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Usually Larianne asks it but.....

Who's got a date lined up this weekend then?

Not yet... but I'm hopeful :D

Just in the door from a date and dammmmn , she's fine :D intelligent, bubbly and well edumacated . Me thinks there'll be more.

YAY....delighted for you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

That_Guy wrote: »
    Usually Larianne asks it but.....

Who's got a date lined up this weekend then?

Damn you!!!!
    Just in the door from a date and dammmmn , she's fine :D intelligent, bubbly and well edumacated . Me thinks there'll be more.

Ah, that's great. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement