Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Fantasy Football Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Apologies. Fair play to you having the team. In the majority of the leagues that I want to win my opponents have barely 7 or 8 playing.

Your plan seems pretty good for transfers and all that.

It could be more down to luck than anything else, I have 3 Liverpool players but due to recent transfers have none from Spurs, Fulham or Chelsea and only one from Newcastle.

Also I miscounted earlier, I could field 10 at the moment. Didn't realise Newcastle were missing a game in GW 34. You are right that this could bite a lot of people in the ass though, I can see people having any 7 of the following:

Bale
    BAE
    Enrique
    Gerrard
    Suarez
    Krul
    Simpson
    Ba/Cisse
    Dempsey
    Kelly
    Pogrebnyak
    Mata

I had already made my transfer this week and there's only three more transfer opportunities before GW34, so you might see people taking points hits. A bit of planning should get you through though.

GW 34 scores will be pretty similar anyway, most people will have

3 x United
    1/2 x Arsenal
    1/2 x Swansea
    1/2 City

VP or Rooney as captain and a lot of the other points will cancel out, I don't think I'd be risking a points hit for this week even if I couldn't field 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

KevIRL wrote: »
    Carlcon. Ryo is grand as the cheap midfield option and enabler. Scoring well enough too

I disagree. 2 assists at home to QPR and Blackburn don't exactly fill me with confidence. But for the sake of discussion, let's say I agree with his potential and work out the alternatives...

Bringing him in will mean dropping Sigurdsson for a lot of people (or at least not brining Sig in).

GW 34: Sig is home to Blackburn, while Bolton don't play.
    GW 35: One of Bolton's games is against Swansea. Strongly fancy Swansea in that.
    GW 36: Sig is home to Wolves, while Ryo is away to Sunderland and home to Spurs. Again, strongly fancy Swansea that week, while Bolton aren't likely to get anything in their two games.

Same argument, replacing Sig with McClean;
    Home to Wolves in 34
    Against struggling Villa in 35
    Home to Ryo's Bolton in 36.

One of those two will have to go or not be brought in. Let's face it, *almost* everyone has at least 3 of Valenica/Young/Bale/Dempsey/Silva/Walcott/(add Gerrard for DGW in 36). Whatever 3 or 4 you think are worth having, you're not gonna want to drop them.
    I just don't see the value, especially knowing that transfers are going to be spent trying to make a full XI in GW34, then trying to bulk up with Spurs/Chelsea/Liverpool players for GW36.

There's an exception for those who still have wildcards, I guess. May be possible to have one attacking Bolton player without damaging your team... but generally speaking, seems like an awful waste to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Like Carlcon i wont go near bolton. I ll just be looking at getting bale back in and a chelsea player or two.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Like Carlcon i wont go near bolton. I ll just be looking at getting bale back in and a chelsea player or two.

Definitely makes me feel better about bringing Mata in for Silva this week and keeping Bale. Mata was originally a short-term (2 week) purchase, but think I'll be sticking with him now.

I was a click away from it being Lampard instead, but that would have only left me with 0.1 in the bank. Now I have a nice little safety-net put by to start moulding my team over the next month in preparation. So generally happy with the news of all these DGWs.

Just looked at it properly there and i ll just do young > bale and kompany > bae given the big derby that week. i ll also have a chelsea player in prior to that (prob mata for dempsey)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

It's times like this I'm really glad I held on to my wildcard. Between now and GW34 it's just about trying to field 11 and the wildcard will be used just in time for the big DGW with a view to taking me through to the end of the season. Not a single player within 100 points of me in my two money leagues still has their wildcards. I'm going to sit down and study the fixture list properly over the weekend to come up with a plan. This shíts about to get real!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

i'm wary about Chelsea despite their tempting dgw. A likely 2 leg cl semi final just before as well, I can see Di Matteo rotating his players alot

It's times like this I'm really glad I held on to my wildcard. Between now and GW34 it's just about trying to field 11 and the wildcard will be used just in time for the big DGW with a view to taking me through to the end of the season. Not a single player within 100 points of me in my two money leagues still has their wildcards. I'm going to sit down and study the fixture list properly over the weekend to come up with a plan. This shíts about to get real!!

I would have said you were mad to keep it this long. But now you've got a huge advantage going into those 3 game weeks. Could be worth anywhere between 20-50 points for you if you play it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

oh man, brain is melting now! bring it on though, this will sort the casuals from the hardcore!

I'll probably bring in Miyiachi for Surman, easy swap. Not 100% I'll play him but I'd prefer to have the option, and he's only 0.5m more than Surman.

Carlcon I'm not sure why you are limiting everyone to using 3 or 4 midfielders, as I'm sure you know 3-5-2 is a valid formation. You seem to be assuming everyone has 4 'big' midfielders and Siggy. Even just looking at boards top 10 some have Ferguson, McClean, Chamberlain etc, and THREE of us Surman which is an obvious choice.

Most people will only use Miyiachi for GW 35, maybe 36 then leave him on the bench, but at 4.9m at the end of the season what's the harm? For two Double GW's you'd expect an absolute minimum of 4 points from each GW. If he gets an assist or scores you could be looking at double figures.

I'd bring him in over any Villa player, regardless of fixtures.

• Advertisement

roryc wrote: »
    Carlcon I'm not sure why you are limiting everyone to using 3 or 4 midfielders, as I'm sure you know 3-5-2 is a valid formation. You seem to be assuming everyone has 4 'big' midfielders and Siggy.

I'm no doctor, but Sig + McClean + 3 or 4 top midfielders (what I said) = 5 or 6 midfielders, not 3 or 4.

I can see why you rely on Boards for help so much... :o

carlcon wrote: »
    I'm no doctor, but Sig + McClean + 3 or 4 top midfielders (what I said) = 5 or 6 midfielders, not 3 or 4.

I can see why you rely on Boards for help so much... :o

I missed the part about McClean. You didn't exactly argue his case much though. Are you saying you would prefer his fixtures over Miyiachis doubles?

GW 35
    McClean at Villa (A) vs Miyiachi at Villa (A) + Swansea (H).

GW 36
    McClean at Bolton (H) vs Miyiachi at Sunderland (A) + Tottenham (H).

Miyiachi for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

These doubles have put the cat amongst the pigeons

Going to have to look at my transfer plans again

roryc wrote: »
    I missed the part about McClean. You didn't exactly argue his case much though. Are you saying you would prefer his fixtures over Miyiachis doubles?

GW 35
    McClean at Villa (A) vs Miyiachi at Villa (A) + Swansea (H).

GW 36
    McClean at Bolton (H) vs Miyiachi at Sunderland (A) + Tottenham (H).

Miyiachi for me.

GW36 isn't a competition. Sunderland are substantially more likely to bag some goals than Bolton are, then against Spurs would be a shock if Bolton got more than one goal. GW35 is closer, fair enough. Again, Sunderland much more likely to pick Villa apart than Bolton are, but the extra game should even it up.

Your point ignores 3 things. GW34 where Bolton don't play, the fact that Ryo will take up a transfer, while Sig/McClean won't (anyone worth their salt has at least one of them), and the 5 other bigger/better teams that also have DGWs.

Too many variables work against Ryo being the best option. As always, chance may have it that he magically goes on to score his 1st, 2nd, and 3rd goals of the season in these games... but all odds are against him and his club when you consider the alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Lads, been away today and I'm lost in all this double GW news, can anyone post up a definitive list of the gameweeks effected and who is missing what weeks/has double games what weeks?

Lemlin wrote: »
    Lads, been away today and I'm lost in all this double GW news, can anyone post up a definitive list of the gameweeks effected and who is missing what weeks/has double games what weeks?

GW33
    Normal

GW34
    No Game:
    Liverpool, Fulham, Chelsea, Newcastle, Bolton, Spurs, Everton, Stoke
    Doubles:
    No-one

GW35
    No Game:
    No-one
    Doubles:
    Villa (SUN, BOL), Bolton (SWA, avl)

GW36
    No Game:
    No-one
    Doubles:
    Liverpool (nor, FUL), Fulham (eve, liv), Chelsea (QPR, NEW), Newcastle (wig, che), Bolton (sun, TOT), Spurs (BLA, bol)

GW37
    Back to normal

Be wary that Stoke V Everton still has to be rearranged so it could slot in any of those weeks.

Hmm, as it stands, I only have 7 players who will be playing in GW34. 3 weeks worth of transfers brings me up to 10. I might take a point hit on the last week if someone is looking really valuable but I'll be happy enough if I get 10 tbh. As it stands, 9 of my 10 players will be at home in GW34 and there's not much value in the away players atm. If Stoke V Everton gets thrown back into GW34 I'll have 12 players available. I'm not start making any transfers yet until I know when the Stoke Everton match will be played.

My plan for GW34 is to have 3xUnited (Roo, Val, Jevans), 3xArsenal (RVP, Walc, Verm), 2xSwansea (Vorm, Siggy), 1xSunderland (McClean), 1xA.N.Other (N'Zogbia hopefully if he's playing regularly, or maybe an in-form West Brom player)

GW35 I'll be getting in a Villa defender (probably Cuellar).

GW36 use the wildcard.

GW37 ???

GW38 Profit :D

I'm not sure what position you are in, but only getting two weeks out of your wildcard seems a bit of a waste imo

DazzlerIE wrote: »
    I'm not sure what position you are in, but only getting two weeks out of your wildcard seems a bit of a waste imo

I'll be getting 3 weeks out of it, GW36, 37 and 38. I'm (30-40 points) ahead in my two money leagues, just a matter of keeping it that way. While my rivals are taking points hits for GW36 I can get as many (or as little) double gamers as I want, also taking into account the GW37 and GW38 fixtures. I think it's the perfect time to use it tbh.

When do you think I should use it?

Well when you put it like that, then you're in a great position

• Advertisement

As it stands, I only have Swansea, United, and Arsenal cover for GW 34. Thankfully, I'm overly stocked on each, so that makes 8 players.

Having used this week's transfer already, that means the most I can have going into that week (without taking a hit) is 10 players.

I have some thinking to do. It's all about weighing up GW34 and GW36 together. The less you have in 34, the more you have in DGWs for 36.

Realistically, I may have to look to dropping Mata that week for Sess or McClean (they're playing Wolves), with the intention of swapping back in time for Chelsea's double. But then Sunderland are home to Bolton, and I won't want to drop whoever I bring in.

*scratches head*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

For anyone wondering about Lescott it seems that he has stepped up training this week anyway according to the man himself on Twitter. He says he's fit, but not sure if he'll be playing at the weekend.

If Kompany and Lescott both come back this weekend then it'll be a huge boost to City. They'd be very likely to get a CS then.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

So, given Sigurdsson's ability to defy FPL logic, who's backing him this weekend?

Dempsey wrote: »
    So, given Sigurdsson's ability to defy FPL logic, who's backing him this weekend?

Me anyway. McClean will have to sit this one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Dempsey wrote: »

Has to be done. He's at his best away from home and Spurs have leaked a few goals recently. If anyone can score then it'll surely be Siggy. Expect another 2 goal/15 point performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

This is why i dont bother with money leagues. Cant beat the above work ethic.

Siggy in for me, leaving McClean on the bench

Ageuro hasnt trained all week. Tevez could start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

GW36 use the wildcard.

GW37 ???

GW38 Profit :D

Made me laugh, was worried for a moment you were going down the line of collecting underpants..........:eek:
    Your not a gnome are you :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭smokingman

As it is, I have 11 players for GW34.
    I am however, transferring one of these out on Saturday evening in order to prepare for gw36 and then bringing in the final 11th player after gw33.

My plan is to effectively bring in players a week earlier than they're needed in order to save up 2 transfers for gw37. I will have 6 dgw players for gw36 so I think there'll be a big chance to gain points in gw37 as a result of everyone getting excited about the doubles and being a bit screwed after that.

This rescheduling has indeed made the game all the more exciting now! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement