Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU Elections 2012 (Voting Thursday March 22)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Seems a pretty inocuous question....:confused:

To an outsider maybe, but to her it would seem that someone is trying to corner her. She is only the editor-in-chief after all. The editorial picture is larger than normal this week, and as pointed out earlier in the thread, herself and Dave Hartery have pictures side by side in the section about Body Image Awareness.
    Harterys stand unattended for over an hour, called into talk about his policies. Very disappointed.

Saw him in the SU, presume he had some work in C&S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

David Harrington for UL Students' Union President!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭KellingtonDawg

leaoj wrote: »
    Hey sarah,

Are we to assume you and Kelly have had priors?
    Like ye disliked each other before this week started?

Or is it a case you've never met her before, you don't know her, and she is behaving like to this to you for no reason?

It's most definitely a personal issue and has nothing to do with the election. In addition, no question was asked. I was in a conversation with Cathal Ronan, not Sarah Bleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mooonpie

Harterys stand unattended for over an hour, called into talk about his policies. Very disappointed.

Speaking as a former campaign manager (Hi Baz! :P) and having been involved in 5 campaigns over my time in UL, dealing with the stands was always tough.

There are reasons for and against staffing the stand with your strongest recruits, but we tended to leave someone there that had put in a long shift and needed to rest their feet, get a bite to eat, etc.

On some campaigns we had no issues with numbers, or others we had more t-shirts than people to wear them, so it all depends on how you prioritise the locations. There is only a certain amount of traffic that can be caught there, and we tended to use it as a HQ where people would meet every hour or 2, to report back, restock on sweets and literature, handover to fresh volunteers, etc.

Especially this year with a shortened week, I can understand why some people see the stands as a lower priority (though we always tried to keep at least one person there, to look after the gear if nothing else) in favour of having another couple of bodies touring the campus.

Then again, maybe with the shortened week it's more critical to have strong representatives at a stand because there's less chance of meeting them around campus.

I'm not sure what my point is ... I guess don't judge a candidate by their stand? As difficult as it can be to get a hold of them, having a chat with the candidate or the CM is your best bet.

I know last year finding Baz, or me, at a stand would have been difficult. But we did give out an email address that Baz read through, and tried to reply to, every evening. He then made space in an already hectic schedule to meet and chat with a few people when he could ... a schedule that I had to try and keep track of ... fun times! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

It's most definitely a personal issue and has nothing to do with the election. In addition, no question was asked. I was in a conversation with Cathal Ronan, not Sarah Bleep.

I've no personal issue with you Kelly.

I looked directly at you, you looked back at me and I asked my question. You walked away. Not really that complex is it?

Oh, and it's Beep! with a !, you might want to watch your typos. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leaoj

ok thanks for presenting your side of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

How come nobody has called SarahBeep! out as a Kelly hater when most of her posts here negative to Kelly and Kelly only.

Jester252 wrote: »
    How come nobody has called SarahBeep! out as a Kelly hater when most of her posts here negative to Kelly and Kelly only.

The question Sarah posed wasn't that difficult to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shabouwcaw

Sorry I wasn't there to talk to you, but I can assure you the people staffing my stall are just as capable of dealing with your queries as I am. I did however make a decision to prioritise walking around campus canvassing rather than stay in the red raisins, which due to the general lethargy around campus, has very little footfall. If you have any questions or queries, I should be around the stand tomorrow, or my campaign team are well able to answer on my behalf. Lastly, you can message me via my campaign facebook page http://www.facebook.com/DavidHarteryForUlsuPresident2012 where i would be delighted to address any of your concerns.

Of course, I have no doubt you will be at Hustings this evening, where I will be in attendance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

I really hope you do not get elected back in, you are highly unprofessional at what you do and let little petty arguments cloud your judgement.
    Good for comms, not for any of my personal issues.
    Please let the internet gods take justice.

Ronan, Paddy and possibly Moursy after today. They seemed to have the most enthusiastic campaigns, well Ronan and Paddy.

I hope Dave does not get in either, he seems a bit pompous for me.
    Hopefully Horgan can throw something good tomorrow, He seems like a nice lad.

• Advertisement

Jester252 wrote: »

I have nothing to say about anything else as of yet.

I wont post for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Can you elaborate on the personal issue? Or SarahBeep! do you know what it is?

Kelly as you are running for election, I'm sure you are aware of how dangerous rumours can be; I hope you may address them instead of avoiding them.

As you are running for welfare, if I or any other student you had a personal issue which needed help, I would hope you would be of assistance. As you are running for welfare, an anti-social act may not be seen in a positive light.

@reunion: You know as much as I do and I know nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cadroc

Welfare this year seems like a tight race so these comments on boards may push me towards one of the other two. I've spoken to William and he has some good plans, and I've read through Cathal's manifesto and watched the TST video of him and he comes across excellent. Kelly on the other hand appears passionate and has experience, but the passion comes across as arrogance sometimes. It's possibly the most competetive group!

It's been mentioned a few times now about the photos in An Focal for this week, so Kelly I'm just wondering if you could make a response to this?

Coincidently 'an focal' was next to her stand as well. I know it is in the door of the SU for when I need to avoid reading it.

I would have though Paddy and Kelly would have to take a leave of absence?

And are ye getting paid for this week?

Pretty pointless and anal question but It could be a deciding factor.

To confirm, Hustings is down in the KBS?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

lkionm wrote: »
    I would have though Paddy and Kelly would have to take a leave of absence?

And are ye getting paid for this week?

Pretty pointless and anal question but It could be a deciding factor.

It's neither pointless nor anal to ask. Apparently they've both taken annual leave and have no access to their SU phones etc for the duration.

Aside, if I'd been editing An Focal for the year and was running for election or re-election, I'd be pointing that out directly to people as well. You'd be stupid not to point it out and hand it out as direct evidence of what you've been doing in the SU. You could argue that this is an advantage - as it possibly is - but it's an election, not a lottery.
    CiaranMT wrote: »
    To confirm, Hustings is down in the KBS?

Yes. 6pm in KBG12 (that's on the ground floor of the Kemmy Business School).
    SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Questions can not be asked to specific candidates.

"Hello, everybody, what's your view on... <insert query here>". And you're there with your question.

It's not that difficult to frame almost any question in a way that one can get everyone's view on something specific. It's not exactly passing a camel through the eye of a needle.

Sceptre, are you not here or can I just not spot you?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tighearnan

Buy stuff from the bake sale outside the hustings :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cadroc

Paddy came across arrogant but strong.
    Jackie was nervous, but it almost endeared her to you, especially when paddys claws were out. That said you want a strong personality dealing with the university.

Cadroc wrote: »
    Paddy came across arrogant but strong.
    Jackie was nervous, but it almost endeared her to you, especially when paddys claws were out. That said you want a strong personality dealing with the university.

Didn't appreciate paddys digs at Jackie. Very unprofessional kinda turns me off voting for him.

Very good question about suicide prevention for welfare. +1 to the proposer of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Nah, I'm at home, I'd probably be sitting next to you quietly doing a Mme DeFarge if I was there. Was thinking of coming in for it but, in the end, meh. Poor sleep last night, going for a few drinkies later on and I need a little sleep. People get rightly annoyed if you snore while they're speaking.

Besides, there's the liveblog, which is definitely better than nothing. Is anyone video recording it?
    Tighearnan wrote: »

Good cause, supports the arts (i.e. drama soc production). And it's baked goods, everyone likes baked goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

no knitting this year so:p:p

sceptre wrote: »
    Nah, I'm at home, I'd probably be sitting next to you quietly doing a Mme DeFarge if I was there. Was thinking of coming in for it but, in the end, meh, Poor sleep last night, going for a few drinkies later on and I need a little sleep. People get rightly annoyed if you snore while they're speaking.

Besides, there's the liveblog, which is definitely better than nothing. Is anyone video recording it?
    Tighearnan wrote: »

Good cause, supports the arts (i.e. drama soc production). And it's baked goods, everyone likes baked goods.

TST.

Another +1 on suicide prevention. Not enough is done, no ifs or buts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

It's his birthday ;)

It's his birthday ;)

Ive already sent him felicitations ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Steeevvyb

Our audio-only recording of the Hust will be within the next 2 hours.

Other than that, I thought my question about suicide prevention was a little bit fobbed off.

Who did people think won?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

I was talking to one of the guys manning KOB stand in the Raisin yesterday and one of the other helpers came over and starting giving out to him for something being untidy on the table cutting me and him off completely I thought it was very unprofessional. Poor guy did not know were to look, I might not look like the "typical" student but I still have a vote tomorrow ;)

• Advertisement

Steeevvyb wrote: »
    Our audio-only recording of the Hust will be within the next 2 hours.

Other than that, I thought my question about suicide prevention was a little bit fobbed off.

Who did people think won?

You won.... best question of the night.

Academic:

Paddys digs at his opponent was unprofessional and disgraceful. For this I view jackie as the winner and she gets my vote. Jackie started shakey but she did seem like she would do a really good job.

Welfare:

I think Cathal was the best but by the sounds of it wouldn't ever be at his office. Kelly close second, William Jennings far off tbh.

President:

David by far. I think the hustings hurt Adam the most. Eamonn improved in my eyes but not by enough to get my second preference.

Advertisement